Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion on: July 21, 2015, 08:41:15 AM
danwiz

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2015, 08:41:15 AM »

Hello all......this statement seemed like a good transition time to get a race discussion prepped and ready......

so let me see here.... Jefe, Jesse, Kurt, Jay, Matt, Aaron, and probably some other freaks I'm unaware of.... dang, they are gonna put a hurtin' on each other. I can't wait to watch this thing!
 headbang
 headbang
 headbang

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 08:21:15 AM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 08:21:15 AM »

Don't get too excited....think I might be closer to fast touring this year.....
Jefe

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 09:04:50 AM
danwiz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 09:04:50 AM »

no matter your speed (which is faster than than most if not all participants) it'll be fun to watch.  The energy of the TD record, a certain JP supposedly lining up.  and the rest of the top guys...it'll be fun to follow.....someday, i hope to muster up the physical and mental ability to do something like this...until then i find inspiration and motivation from you and the others...its a wonderful thing!!!

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 09:35:55 AM
samh

Ultralight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 09:35:55 AM »

Dylan is slated to line up in hopes of adding the Triple Crown Challenge to his resume this year. 

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 11:33:31 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 11:33:31 AM »

Looks like we have Sam Koerber signed up in the 'fast guys' column, too.

Alice Drobna looking to be the first woman to complete the triple crown challenge.

Kaitlyn Boyle surely looking to crush the course on the women's side.

Mark C looking to complete his double triple crown -- maybe even a back-end yoyo?

I heard the current weather outlook is looking good, thunderstorm-wise, though that can change rapidly.

Going to be a good year!

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 12:26:29 PM
danwiz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 12:26:29 PM »

how many people, in your best estimation, have done a yo-yo on this route?

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 03:19:57 PM
cjdunn

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 03:19:57 PM »

I wish I could watch all the excitement but this year I will be busy pushing my bike up a hill in the race.  I hope my blue dot will create some interest.  I figure the leaders will finish before I get to BV.  I should be easy to spot near the back of the pack. Probably "CD" Let me make my pre excuses now.  Just remember I'm 53 years old, a rookie, and I have a "no training policy".  I'm not in great shape (I prefer the term "well rested") I'm not racing anybody.  It's about me and the adventure.  I think I'll get plenty of that.

If your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 05:45:56 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 05:45:56 PM »

It's about me and the adventure.  I think I'll get plenty of that.

Indeed you will, my friend.  thumbsup

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 07:29:35 PM
Matt Schiff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 07:29:35 PM »

I think the enthusiasm among the online followers is great. I'm refreshing the trackleaders page all the time on the major races. But I hope the stalking stays with following the blue, pink, or yellow dot online and not people going out to track down riders. I'm sure other people have chimed in with their perspective on this, but I'm going to offer mine.

I think people that go out to follow racers have good intentions but I find them out of touch and obnoxious. For me the race unfolds as so: Day 1 - lots of nervous and anxious racers and I almost think this thing is a lap race with people rushing in and out of the stores. More importantly, my head is still on straight. I can look strangers in the eye and talk with them. I haven't gone off the deep end yet. If people line the trail and want to cheer everyone on like a parade, so be it. Day 2 - Depending on sleep I’m a zombie or maybe just tired enough to be a little irritable. I have fun but things need to go my way. Day 3 – If you’ve done this right, you’re tripping balls. Children cry all night and strange animals appear from the shadows only to move through you and vanish. During this delicate state all outsiders are evil and only those in your clan, people on the same drugs as you, fellow racers, can be communicated with in confidence. Day 4 – This is not a bike race. In a bike race you make attacks, hammer out of the saddle, you have power. You’re on your own journey now and why you need to keep moving forward to finish this personal test in unclear at the moment but sure to leave you with regret if you give up now. Day 5,6,7,etc – you vs the CT, you vs mother earth, you vs the storm cells that try to wipe you off the hill. Every experience is so raw. It’s so easy to give in, but walking away is permanent.

Now mindstates may vary among participants depending on general sociability, sleep deprivation, drugs ingested while on the trail, day to day circumstances, and your genetic predisposition to lose it in the wild, but don’t be that guy yelling out of his truck, trying to get his social media interview, or that person at the top of the hill, shouting out and giving time back splits from the rider ahead.  APPROACH ALL RIDERS WITH CAUTION, BECAUSE LIKE WILD ANIMALS, NOT ALL ARE FRIENDLY!!

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 10:18:42 PM
danwiz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 10:18:42 PM »

I think the enthusiasm among the online followers is great. I'm refreshing the trackleaders page all the time on the major races. But I hope the stalking stays with following the blue, pink, or yellow dot online and not people going out to track down riders. I'm sure other people have chimed in with their perspective on this, but I'm going to offer mine.

I think people that go out to follow racers have good intentions but I find them out of touch and obnoxious. For me the race unfolds as so: Day 1 - lots of nervous and anxious racers and I almost think this thing is a lap race with people rushing in and out of the stores. More importantly, my head is still on straight. I can look strangers in the eye and talk with them. I haven't gone off the deep end yet. If people line the trail and want to cheer everyone on like a parade, so be it. Day 2 - Depending on sleep I’m a zombie or maybe just tired enough to be a little irritable. I have fun but things need to go my way. Day 3 – If you’ve done this right, you’re tripping balls. Children cry all night and strange animals appear from the shadows only to move through you and vanish. During this delicate state all outsiders are evil and only those in your clan, people on the same drugs as you, fellow racers, can be communicated with in confidence. Day 4 – This is not a bike race. In a bike race you make attacks, hammer out of the saddle, you have power. You’re on your own journey now and why you need to keep moving forward to finish this personal test in unclear at the moment but sure to leave you with regret if you give up now. Day 5,6,7,etc – you vs the CT, you vs mother earth, you vs the storm cells that try to wipe you off the hill. Every experience is so raw. It’s so easy to give in, but walking away is permanent.

Now mindstates may vary among participants depending on general sociability, sleep deprivation, drugs ingested while on the trail, day to day circumstances, and your genetic predisposition to lose it in the wild, but don’t be that guy yelling out of his truck, trying to get his social media interview, or that person at the top of the hill, shouting out and giving time back splits from the rider ahead.  APPROACH ALL RIDERS WITH CAUTION, BECAUSE LIKE WILD ANIMALS, NOT ALL ARE FRIENDLY!!

shit man....that is well said!  and i dont know you nor what it takes to conquer the CT.....an intense yet poignant synopsis.....The CT is a big deal. Those that race it/ tour it are also big deals... and you all deserve major kudos, lots of beer (when you're done trekking mother earth), and a serious round of applause....have fun out there Matt and others, have fun!

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 07:19:01 AM
luckylarue

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 07:19:01 AM »

Sounds like a bunch of pretentious bullshit to me.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 07:24:07 AM
Dr.Dre

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 07:24:07 AM »

Now mindstates may vary among participants depending on general sociability, sleep deprivation, drugs ingested while on the trail, day to day circumstances, and your genetic predisposition to lose it in the wild, but don’t be that guy yelling out of his truck, trying to get his social media interview, or that person at the top of the hill, shouting out and giving time back splits from the rider ahead.  APPROACH ALL RIDERS WITH CAUTION, BECAUSE LIKE WILD ANIMALS, NOT ALL ARE FRIENDLY!!

Great post. I haven't tripped balls for a while, just reading those words bring back memories! Look forward to altered states and beautiful views!

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 07:28:10 AM
Dr.Dre

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 07:28:10 AM »

Don't know if you're joking but I thought his post was actually very poignant, accurate, and honest. People are well meaning but it can be hard to relate to anyone in these states

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 09:49:03 AM
danwiz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 09:49:03 AM »

Don't know if you're joking but I thought his post was actually very poignant, accurate, and honest. People are well meaning but it can be hard to relate to anyone in these states

ehhhh...some people just dont get or relate to things the way others do.....i agree with you 100%.  that was a great explanation

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 04:08:05 PM
Matt Schiff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 04:08:05 PM »

I think selfish is a better description, and without writing a page worth of crap, there are certainly things I omitted. But it has to be realized as well, that was a dramatization, enlarged to show texture, prove a point, that sort of thing. Point being some people would rather be left alone out there for a variety of reasons.

The whole idea of obsessing, and taking time off of work, and having a friend or partner drive you down, it's all self centered and selfish but that's besides the point. This is dirtbag racing, even if you aren't a dirtbag. Everyone owes someone something for helping them get to the start line, but I don't think anyone owes a stranger anything. That's what happens with no prize money, sponsors, salary, etc. Everyone has the chance to keep people posted via smartphones, mtbcast, but I don't think the obligation because its not about the fans.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 05:06:38 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 05:06:38 PM »

but don’t be that guy yelling out of his truck, trying to get his social media interview, or that person at the top of the hill, shouting out and giving time back splits from the rider ahead.  APPROACH ALL RIDERS WITH CAUTION, BECAUSE LIKE WILD ANIMALS, NOT ALL ARE FRIENDLY!!

Geez man, people want to spectate. Not everyone can partake of such an adventure. Maybe they are living vicariously through you. You should be flattered. As long as they aren't handing you a happy meal, I don't see the big deal.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 07:14:57 AM
samh

Ultralight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 07:14:57 AM »

...but don’t be that guy yelling out of his truck, trying to get his social media interview...

I liked the from-afar, on the ground reporting we got at the end of the TD2015 but felt that the up close and personal interviews-from-the-car were too much and did in fact interfere with the individuals racing.  But that's just like my opinion, man.  I went out and watched a half dozen rider pass me during the TD three or four years ago and one of them felt slightly uncomfortable with talking to us in case it was misconstrued as support.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 08:37:57 AM
jaxtaz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 08:37:57 AM »

It's hard to believe that I'll be heading to Durango tomorrow. This twisted fantasy of mine is actually going to happen! Pretty surreal.  

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 08:56:45 AM
danwiz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 08:56:45 AM »

It's hard to believe that I'll be heading to Durango tomorrow. This twisted fantasy of mine is actually going to happen! Pretty surreal. 

what a feeling that must be.  Somehow, if i ever get the balls to do this, I think i would feel the exact same way....have fun out there!!!

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 03:23:57 PM
jakomait

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 03:23:57 PM »

I'm looking forward to another big adventure out there!  Jefe, sorry you aren't firing on all cylinders but something tells me I'm still going to see your tire tracks across the trail when I wake up from my first night of sleep!  For myself, I'm prepared as I can be and excited to push myself as hard as i can to make it to Junction Creek on Thursday.  Good luck to everyone who is taking the CTR plunge.  I promise you will all have stories for a lifetime!

It is better to regret the things you've done than the things you haven't.
  Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: