Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #140 on: June 17, 2015, 08:57:21 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 17, 2015, 08:57:21 PM »

LOTS of snow/precip in May - even June, so the snowpack in CO is pretty amazing up high. But it's melting fast.
Thanks Justin.. Still lots of time.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #141 on: June 17, 2015, 09:27:43 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: June 17, 2015, 09:27:43 PM »

Tons of time. Pluses are that there's probably going to be a lot of water available on route, and forest fires haven't been much of an issue. We'll see if there's not too much water from continued rainfall

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #142 on: June 18, 2015, 05:20:47 AM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2015, 05:20:47 AM »

Good golly, we got hammered with snow this spring.  For the first time since its inception in 2010, the Durango Dirty Century - a local 100-miler we host at the end of June - is going to have to use an alternate route.  Simply no way over the higher portions of the course right now without skis or snowshoes, and those parts of the course are on the CT.  I had a customer who tried to hike the CT from Salida to Durango last week, and he turned around within ten miles, simply because he couldn't keep track of the trail, there was so much snow.  He also tried from Molas after that debacle, and had the same result.  I'm thinking second weekend in July may be the first time the high areas of the CT will be accessible... and I would bet on some snow drift navigation even then.

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #143 on: June 18, 2015, 06:41:30 AM
Mick80234

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2015, 06:41:30 AM »

Thanks for the update. I was going to do a recon trip from Buena Vista toward Durango tomorrow. Think I need to make alternative plans. Looking at the Colorado Trail Foundation Facebook page there do not seem to be many contiguous segments that are passable. https://www.facebook.com/ColoradoTrailFoundation

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #144 on: June 22, 2015, 06:35:26 AM
Bob Loblaw

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 22, 2015, 06:35:26 AM »

I did a CTR dry run this weekend using the Salida Big Friggin' Loop starting in BV. Learned some valuable stuff and immediately started looking for ways to drop weight. I got more confidence in my gear setup, but it was sobering to learn how mentally challenging bikepacking can be. After not talking to a human except for myself for about 6 hours, it was extremely overwhelming riding into the Salida carnival. From the dark, quiet night to loud, bright crowds of yelling people was a jarring transition.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #145 on: June 22, 2015, 06:58:47 AM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: June 22, 2015, 06:58:47 AM »

Oh yeah.  Wait until you leave Durango and spend the next ~4 days out on the trail, and then hit the City Market in BV.  That's a unique experience.  Wink  Bring a food list with you so that you don't do what I did on my first CTR - walk around the grocery for an hour, dazed by all the people and confused by all the choices.

www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #146 on: June 22, 2015, 07:07:20 AM
Bob Loblaw

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 22, 2015, 07:07:20 AM »

I know there have been multiple discussions elsewhere on the subject of bike security, but I just don't know what I would have done without my car to keep my bike locked while I shopped. The City Market was absolutely nuts with people all over the place and I just would not have been comfortable leaving my bike outside for even a couple minutes. How do you guys handle that situation?

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #147 on: June 22, 2015, 07:12:38 AM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: June 22, 2015, 07:12:38 AM »

Bob, you can bring a small (super-small) cable lock if you'd like.  I've never carried one during a race, but have been worried about the bike a bit.  At the City Market, I just parked it off to the side by the ice coolers and crossed my fingers - not the best plan of action.  BV, however, never seemed too dangerous a place for bike theft to me.

You might be able to bring it just inside the sliding doors and leave it near the soda machines or something.  Or, if it's really dirty, maybe not.  All the old anti-theft tricks - helmet straps through the wheel, shifting into hard gears, taking off the front wheel - mean nothing if someone just tosses the whole shebang into a pickup.  So I guess it's bring a lock or just worry a bit.

www.bedrockbags.com

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #148 on: June 22, 2015, 07:12:58 AM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: June 22, 2015, 07:12:58 AM »

On another note, I'm sure many of you have seen what occurred at the Oregon Outback this year.  If not:  http://www.oregonbikepacking.com/the-death-of-the-oregon-outback/

I have never known CTR riders, vet or rookie, to be anything but respectful of the wild places we ride through and to practice good LNT principles.  BUT, as bikepacking is apparently becoming "a thing", I will simply ask that all folks who are new to bikepacking or the CTR take care to leave the trail in the same or better shape than you found it, respect the land and other trail users, and don't give anyone, anywhere, any reason to dislike bikepackers or the CTR.  The Colorado Trail is already in enough danger of having sections closed to mountain bikes.  Let's keep the trail open to us, and show that we have LESS impact that some other user groups (namely equestrians).  Leave No Trace or don't come at all.

Off my soapbox now.  Just would hate to see more events go the way of the Outback!

www.bedrockbags.com

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #149 on: June 22, 2015, 07:47:57 AM
Biggs23

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 22, 2015, 07:47:57 AM »

On another note, I'm sure many of you have seen what occurred at the Oregon Outback this year.  If not:  http://www.oregonbikepacking.com/the-death-of-the-oregon-outback/

I have never known CTR riders, vet or rookie, to be anything but respectful of the wild places we ride through and to practice good LNT principles.  BUT, as bikepacking is apparently becoming "a thing", I will simply ask that all folks who are new to bikepacking or the CTR take care to leave the trail in the same or better shape than you found it, respect the land and other trail users, and don't give anyone, anywhere, any reason to dislike bikepackers or the CTR.  The Colorado Trail is already in enough danger of having sections closed to mountain bikes.  Let's keep the trail open to us, and show that we have LESS impact that some other user groups (namely equestrians).  Leave No Trace or don't come at all.

Off my soapbox now.  Just would hate to see more events go the way of the Outback!

Geez,what a shit show.That's awful.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #150 on: June 22, 2015, 11:37:56 AM
Majcolo

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 22, 2015, 11:37:56 AM »

Someone, somewhere, knows who did it. We can only hope that they have seen the error of their ways or been shamed out of the sport.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #151 on: June 22, 2015, 11:56:47 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 22, 2015, 11:56:47 AM »

....I have never known CTR riders, vet or rookie, to be anything but respectful of the wild places we ride through and to practice good LNT principles.  BUT, as bikepacking is apparently becoming "a thing", I will simply ask that all folks who are new to bikepacking or the CTR take care to leave the trail in the same or better shape than you found it, respect the land and other trail users, and don't give anyone, anywhere, any reason to dislike bikepackers or the CTR.  The Colorado Trail is already in enough danger of having sections closed to mountain bikes.  Let's keep the trail open to us, and show that we have LESS impact that some other user groups (namely equestrians).  Leave No Trace or don't come at all......

Absolutely. This above all. If you can't respect the route, don't ride it. Be nice to people, life's better that way.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #152 on: June 22, 2015, 12:04:35 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: June 22, 2015, 12:04:35 PM »

Sounds to me like it was more than one person... not the whole field, certainly, but at least a few separate individuals.  Urban Portland hipsters go bikepacking?  I dunno.  I just want to keep the CTR on the good side of history, public opinion, and land use managers.  Shoot, that goes for bikepacking in general, whether in Colorado or outside our fair state (or even country).

www.bedrockbags.com

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #153 on: June 22, 2015, 12:33:50 PM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: June 22, 2015, 12:33:50 PM »

Indeed, let's not forget that we have a positive relationship with the CTF. If you can donate to their org., please do so. I know they've mentioned before their thanks on the bikepacking community and the CTR for the support we've given via our friendly, tribal pressure Wink 

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #154 on: June 22, 2015, 12:46:23 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: June 22, 2015, 12:46:23 PM »

Yep, money sent to the CTF is cash well spent.  I give, via VC, a solid donation each year on behalf of bikepackers everywhere.  But in a conversation with Bill (CTF director) last year, it sounds like there are still plenty of lobbying forces out there wishing MTBers weren't allowed on the trail.  So far the Foundation is on our side - let's keep 'em there.

www.bedrockbags.com

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #155 on: June 22, 2015, 01:11:56 PM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: June 22, 2015, 01:11:56 PM »

That's so unfortunate (Re: lobbying against MTB), as the varied of uses for the trail is a positive, rather than a negative. I had nothing but good times talking to both thru-hikers and day users on the CT. Everyone was super courteous, and if anything, people are always curious on what all the gear on your bike is for!

Thanks for paying it forward, Joey.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #156 on: June 22, 2015, 09:04:05 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: June 22, 2015, 09:04:05 PM »

Barely a month away!  The Trackleaders SPOT sign-up/rental page will be up soon, I'll post here when it is. 

Wise words above regarding the Oregon Outback debacle.  I plan on beefing up my "imagine 1000 people doing the exact same thing as you" speech at the beginning of the race with this example!

Also, I just received the following message from Boneshaker cycles in B.V.  A very nice gesture.

----
Howdy! 

This is devin from Boneshaker cycles in Buena Vista.  Since we're getting close to the CTR 2015 I thought we'd reach out and check in with you guys, since the race rolls past our front door every year.

We will be open our regular hours which is 9-6 Monday-Saturday, and 9-4 on sunday. 
We will also offer neutral support after hours, and i will post this on the door as well.  My personal cell phone is 970-403-6563.  I live close to the shop so a rider in need can get help any time.

Feel free to share this in the forums or whatever you think is best.   Let us know how we can help!

Devin Dahl
Boneshaker Cycles
Buena Vista, CO 81211
719-966-5075

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
  -- frequently (mis)attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #157 on: June 23, 2015, 09:51:22 AM
Mick80234

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 23, 2015, 09:51:22 AM »

That is great info. Hopefully I will not need to stop there.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #158 on: June 23, 2015, 11:04:39 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 23, 2015, 11:04:39 AM »

Quick bike detours question... Are the bike detours listed on the purple pages in the 5th edition of the data book the exact ones used in the race? Secondly do these then obviously match the GPS track?  I rode most of them when I toured the route a few years ago except Tarryall, I took the highway through Bailey.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 11:09:54 AM by Addy Marx » Logged

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #159 on: June 23, 2015, 12:59:26 PM
Enjoying the View

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: June 23, 2015, 12:59:26 PM »

Two questions:
1. Any thoughts on what food supplies will be like in places such at the Hot Springs and Silverton?  I am planning on starting from Durango on the 29th.  I could see smaller options like these being pretty ransacked after the grand depart crew races through. Or are they pretty on top of it these days since they know about the CTR?

2. I was hoping to have a dedicated GPS for the trip however that will most likely not be the case.  So on top of the Data Book and previous trail knowledge, I'm planning on using my phone for backup. I came across The Colorado Trail Hiker app by Guthook. Does anyone have any experience with this app? Does it follow the full CTR route?  Any other ideas are welcome as well.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Fully Packed Adventure Ministries www.fullypacked.org/fpamdenver
  Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: