Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #40 on: February 01, 2015, 05:04:12 PM
Couloirman

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2015, 05:04:12 PM »

Hey OP-- Googe Earth Pro is free now!

http://www.slashgear.com/google-earth-pro-drops-399-subscription-now-available-for-free-31366926/

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #41 on: February 01, 2015, 06:26:34 PM
Cadence Lee

Weeeeeeeee!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2015, 06:26:34 PM »

1 cup Peanut Butter
1 cup Coconut Oil
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup shredded coconut
1 tsp of chia seed or flaxseed
1/3 cup powdered milk (or crushed nuts or other protein based powder or drink mix)

Mix all together.  If its too moist, add more powdered milk and coconut and chia or flaxseed.  Then once it forms a semi-solid ball, roll it around in a mixture of powdered milk and coconut.

For more fun, consider adding in any of the following:
Dried fruits
Nuts
Chocolate chips
Nutella instead of peanut butter (or any other nut butter)
Powdered coffee

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #42 on: February 01, 2015, 06:37:43 PM
Cadence Lee

Weeeeeeeee!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2015, 06:37:43 PM »

400 calories a balll. 37gm fat, 19gm carbs, 7 gm protein.  64 mg potassium, 19 mg sodium.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #43 on: February 04, 2015, 07:09:15 AM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2015, 07:09:15 AM »

Off the link...
"Sign up is no longer required for Google Earth Pro. Click here to download Earth Pro, then sign in using your email address and the License Key GEPFREE"

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #44 on: February 04, 2015, 09:25:34 AM
ayayron

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2015, 09:25:34 AM »

Awesome. Thanks guys. Watermark removed:

Colorado Trail Race Flyover
from Aaron Johnson on Vimeo

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #45 on: February 05, 2015, 06:30:08 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2015, 06:30:08 PM »

I'll try to be back out on the route again this year.

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #46 on: February 06, 2015, 08:39:30 AM
jakomait

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2015, 08:39:30 AM »

Aaron, that video is fantastic and brings back all sorts of memories!

As for the unsupported CT by bike, it would be very possible to be under 5 days especially considering Jefe started with 3 days worth of food in 2013!  It's an interesting idea to not need to stop in a town and worry about syncing up with business hours.  Just keep plowing forward!

I'm not sure I'll ever start with 10lbs of food but I do plan on giving this trail one more ride this year!

It is better to regret the things you've done than the things you haven't.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #47 on: February 06, 2015, 03:55:49 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2015, 03:55:49 PM »

I'm stoked the unsupported idea has some interest!

If I gun for it (it's still idle thoughts atm) personally, I would just like to come close to my 7 day finish from a few years ago. I had such a strong start, and then totally dived bombed - dropping into Lake City was that demoralizing an experience! If other people are thinking of coming on board, I would suggest we (as a group of foolhardy unsupporters!) leave even earlier than the 4am start time, just to make sure we're off Kennebec Pass well before the T-storms could hit and everyone else gunning for a fast start doesn't have to pass (minor thing, really). Having to retreat backward from there would really muck up strategies with bringing just enough food. I wouldn't underestimate how long it would take to get over this pass loaded down so much.

Also, ride some tech. singletrack with an extra 10lbs + your bikepacking kit before making the call. It's gunna be very less than ideal. I'm considering bringing along a 20L fastpack and putting food in there, keeping the bike as light as possible.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #48 on: February 25, 2015, 09:47:37 AM
NT

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2015, 09:47:37 AM »

Not specific to the CTR, but since it's on the CT and this thread probably gets the most CT interested traffic:

On May 31, 2013, the USFS released their decision to allow mountain bikes on a 32 mile singletrack reroute of the CT/CDT in southern Colorado from Lujan to the La Garita wilderness. However, due to pressure from the hiking and horse riding communities, the Forest Service later withdrew that decision. More info can be found on the USFS website here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTUwMTAwgAykeaxRtBeY4WBv4eHmF-YT4GMHkidBvgAI6EdIeDXIvfdrAJuM3388jPTdUvyA2NMMgyUQQAyrgQmg!!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfS000MjZOMDcxT1RVODBJN0o2MTJQRDMwODQ!/?project=31283

Recent debate with Mike Blakeman of the USFS has popped up here:
http://riograndeplanning.mindmixer.com/ideas/158647/nature-and-purposes-of-the-cdnst

Let's not forget about this and keep on pushing the USFS for this.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #49 on: February 25, 2015, 11:59:21 AM
mtnbound

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2015, 11:59:21 AM »

NT, thanks for the heads up.  We must continually let the USFS know that this is important to the mtb community and that this new proposed section allow biking.  In addition, the CTF has been helpful to the mtb community on this issue (as well as other issues) so we should also support the CTF.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #50 on: April 02, 2015, 11:24:04 AM
wontstopwills

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2015, 11:24:04 AM »

HAHAHAHA! I'm super excited about meeting everyone on this forum in Durango this summer!

I just wanted to introduce myself as a complete newcomer to the idea of bikepacking or ultra MTB racing.

I have ridden a bike my entire life and when I joined the navy 8 years ago I was moved to San Diego where I got into bike racing a few years ago. I have raced for 5 years mostly road events but also two years of cyclocross and Kenda Cup MTB CX events. Then my heart died. I began to have back and forth tachycardia bradycardia events and after a long heart pause they implanted me with a pacemaker. There was hope I would still be able to race but it no longer appears that will be possible, at least at the level I was competing. After a 20-30 minutes of intense effort my heart goes into 2:1 heart block and my HR drops substantially.

So I am turning to super endurance events where that should be a far less limiting factor. I understand there will still be efforts involved but when I do hit heart block its not the end of the world, my ventricular chamber just starts missing every other beat or so. This causes me to slow down but I don't get lightheaded or anything. A short break I can reestablish normal pumping as well(you just cant take short breaks in a crit)  I have been riding hard the last few weeks. Did a easy pace 84 mile 8900ft elevation ride last weekend and I loved it.

So I am going to start doing to short bikepacking trips on my road bike while I wait for my MTB to be built up. I am going to wait till I have a couple overnighters under my belt before I start ordering a shit ton of gear. I am a relatively experienced outdoorsmen but I have never truly been backpacking. Just lots and lots of climbing trips to different west coast national/state parks. I never invested in "ultra light weight" gear because I rarely camped for from my car.

Anyone have any thoughts on my situation. I am sure some of you out there are concerned about my sanity go out on my own for an extended period of time with a heart condition but I will reassure you I am completely good to go. I bet someone has even completed the CTR or TD with a pacemaker already. And if not then more motivation for me! Maybe I can raise some money for a charity. I literally just thought of that.... thanks for the good ideas already BP.net

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #51 on: April 03, 2015, 04:48:48 AM
Bob Loblaw

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2015, 04:48:48 AM »

Welcome. I'm a CTR rookie this year as well. My advice would be to start reading the planning threads for each year (2011 CTR Planning, 2012 CTR Planning...). There is a wealth of information and experience in those threads. Also check out people's trip reports. There are lot floating around out there, not necessarily on this site.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #52 on: April 03, 2015, 09:57:00 AM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2015, 09:57:00 AM »

This is still on my radar - I was actually thinking of boomeranging the course - first by hiking it, then by riding it! Both ways: unsupported, and carrying all the food I need from the terminuses. Still thinking of doing the biking portion during the mass start, but taking off much earlier than the main pack,  to get over the first pass before any lightning. The entire pack will pass me before then, I fear - happy to get outta yer way!

That leaves a logistical problem with me: between hiking and cycling, I'm planning to rest in the Durango area for a week, in an attempt to recover. Given Durango's rep. for not being very camp-friendly, what sort of resources are there for someone looking for a cheap place to stay for a week or so? Any leads?

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #53 on: April 06, 2015, 09:49:52 PM
haydukelives!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2015, 09:49:52 PM »

Just checking in with the forum. Planning on attempting the CTR for my first time this year. I'm currently getting bags together and training on my next hard for the race.

Anyone got any feedback on light bivy sacks? I'm looking at the different SOL bags. Wondering if the base $17 model will hold up for 5-6 nights. Anyone got any experience with these?

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #54 on: April 07, 2015, 06:30:28 AM
Bob Loblaw

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2015, 06:30:28 AM »

I don't have experience with them, but I know other people used the SOL Escape Bivy with success. Have you used bivy sacks before? I can never push myself to make that leap.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #55 on: April 07, 2015, 03:41:10 PM
peteshoe

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2015, 03:41:10 PM »

Just checking in with the forum. Planning on attempting the CTR for my first time this year. I'm currently getting bags together and training on my next hard for the race.

Anyone got any feedback on light bivy sacks? I'm looking at the different SOL bags. Wondering if the base $17 model will hold up for 5-6 nights. Anyone got any experience with these?

I've been using the non zippered version and like it, here is a good review with more details:
http://bikepackersmagazine.com/sol-escape-bivvy/

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #56 on: April 08, 2015, 11:18:28 AM
peteshoe

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2015, 11:18:28 AM »

haydukelives! I missed that you were asking about the $17 version.  I used one as part of my sleep system in '13 CTR. It held up fine, but doesn't breath well. I personally wouldn't use it again. I've been using the SOL breathable $40 version as a bag or external to a sleeping bag depending on weather along with and external bivy from Oware that has a screen to keep the bugs at bay.  But for $17 bucks if you're going light and fast and don't plan on sleeping much, it's a tempting option. 

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #57 on: April 08, 2015, 05:27:07 PM
haydukelives!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2015, 05:27:07 PM »

Great advice. I'm in between bivy options. I'm planning on bringing a one man Oware tarp to sleep under. The ivy would be for extra protection and a bail out if it starts pouring rain during the day, so I can just sit out a storm comfortably. I am planning on stuffing a sleeping bag in there at night. When I backpack, I use a tarp and the SOL $16 emergency blanket as a ground cloth/rain burrito. That is a little excessive for a race situation, it seems, so I'm shopping around.

haydukelives! I missed that you were asking about the $17 version.  I used one as part of my sleep system in '13 CTR. It held up fine, but doesn't breath well. I personally wouldn't use it again. I've been using the SOL breathable $40 version as a bag or external to a sleeping bag depending on weather along with and external bivy from Oware that has a screen to keep the bugs at bay.  But for $17 bucks if you're going light and fast and don't plan on sleeping much, it's a tempting option. 
How's that Oware bivy hold up in the rain? I've worked for Outwardbound in the past. They supply our tarps, gators, and some other stuff. I like the construction.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #58 on: April 13, 2015, 12:49:40 PM
Cadence Lee

Weeeeeeeee!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2015, 12:49:40 PM »

If you were compiling the ideal soundtrack for CTR, what songs would HAVE to be on it and why?  I'm constructing a playlist for my training (not sure I'll bring music with me tho on CTR). But for training, might be nice to have a little something to help keep me in the rhythm or to motivate.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Planning Reply #59 on: April 13, 2015, 04:20:13 PM
pro_out

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2015, 04:20:13 PM »

If you were compiling the ideal soundtrack for CTR, what songs would HAVE to be on it and why?  I'm constructing a playlist for my training (not sure I'll bring music with me tho on CTR). But for training, might be nice to have a little something to help keep me in the rhythm or to motivate.
its all about beats per minute for me. thumbsup

Lone Wolf
  Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: