Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #300 on: July 26, 2013, 02:43:55 PM
Joliver

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: July 26, 2013, 02:43:55 PM »

Hey Folks, I just wanted to check in.  I will post more later.  Wow, what a race!  By the way, was the finish when you exited the trail and hit the road or at the bottom of the road (I spent over an hour on that road just hanging out, looking for my wife and helping someone walking down the road with a flat)?  I think that I exited the trail at 8:20pm last night, but didn't get down and locate the parking lot until 9:38pm. 

I echo most of Matt's thoughts, especially concerning the loneliness towards the front this year (after a great day or 2 riding with/around Jefe and Matt) and becoming an expert tracker.  I could tell where the boys stopped, where they were fatigued or where they rode when it was dark (more footprints and more swerving tire marks) and approximately how much ahead of me they were (the amount of water on the tire tracks after creek crossings).  It seemed that we hit the trails this year when Coloradans and Americans alike had taken a collective break from hiking/riding the CT.  It was odd in that way.

I raced the CTR in 2011, and it was an eye opening experience.  I saw parts of trails and this state that I didn't know existed.  It was incredibly beautiful, and I have spent many days over the past 2 years hence with so many great memories.  This year was different for me.  I lost my father 2 years ago (several months after the race), and I suppose that my perspective on such things changed a bit over that time.  Too, as Stefan said right before the race start this year, "One can only be a rookie once."  I believe that there is a lot of wisdom in that statement.  While the 2nd, 3rd or 4th time around might be better or more enjoyable than the preceding rendition(s) for numerous reasons (weather, mechanicals, etc), there is nothing like a virgin experience.  Good, bad or different.  It cannot be exactly duplicated.  For that, perhaps we should be grateful.  Or, maybe we lose something. 

In any event, I knew that, even if one weren't to improve his/her riding strength or speed, the experience gained from riding the Colorado Trail as a "course" and not simply as a group of unknown segments pieced together, would likely allow any rider the opportunity to significantly better his/her finishing time.  Even in the opposite direction, this is definitely true.  Just having the knowledge of where to stop, where to locate water, how much food to bring b/t towns, etc, is an enormous advantage. 

The major exception(s) to the above was the addition of the Tarryall Detour (more on that later), and the decision concerning how much food to pack at the beginning of the race to ensure that one did not, as the great El Freako From Rico said while riding out of Durango in the early morning darkness, get "thrown in the penalty box" of Silverton for several hours right off the bat.  I went conservatively and packed a ton of food.  I think Jefe did the same.  Jesse looked like he was going out for a day ride.  A short day ride.  Hell, a lunch loop!

Anyway, riding with Jefe and Matt was very enjoyable for the first day or two.  However, I decided pretty quickly that the experience would not be as nice for me if I were to spend so many hours on the bike concerned with where I was in the race.  I cannot comprehend how Jesse and Jefe were able to mentally battle one another in such close quarters for so long.  While I enjoy that kind of "jockeying" in an xc race, a cross race or even a 50-100 mile race, where the winner is typically the fastest bicyclist, I'm afraid that I am ill-equipped to focus in that manner for that long while still making decisions that are best for my body and mind, such as when to sleep (I usually slept at night), how much to sleep (usually about 4 hours a day), when to eat and how much to eat.  Those guys are truly remarkable in that way.  The CTR is about bike riding ability (which those dudes have in loads), as well as bike riding ability when one is exceptionally and grossly tired.  Some say that doing well in the CTR is about courage or the ability to deal with pain.  I do not find those to be the defining qualities, as everyone who toes the line at an event like the CTR can suffer and is willing to do so in ample quantities.  But, some folks just can't ride very fast, or at all, on 1-2 hours a sleep per night.  Or even 3 or 4.  Jessie, Jefe and Matt (and many other folks) can do that very well.  Therefore, I want to award the three of them the Twenty2 Cycles Award in Badassery!

Other random thoughts, and I am just riffing a bit here from my home in Eagle, so bear with me if I am all over the place.  I am still tired.  All in all, the race was great.  But, if you are a rookie and are out there right now, just finishing up or you intend to race for the first time next year or some year thereafter, make sure you thoroughly enjoy the time on the trail and pocket those memories.  They are grand.  And meaningful.  I promise you.

I also want to thank Stefan for all of his work this year.  I really appreciate it.  Sorry about your hands.  That is brutal. 

Scott, even though my Spot failed, much to the dismay of my wife, family and friends (for the second time now),  thank you for all of your work.  I was hoping that you would toe the line, but it was good seeing you and Ez for one second snapping photos.   

With respect to the Tarryall Detour, please understand that the following comments are part tongue and cheek, part joke and part true.  Take them with a grain of salt, b/c they are made primarily for the purpose of comedy, but also with some truth.  Or, at least, the truth as my sleep weary mind interprets it.  Caveats stated...I am unsure how that proposal didn't get vetoed immediately.  Wow, that sucked!  First, the extra 7-8 hours of riding around on newly graded dirt road, a la a Kansas-style gravel grinder, when one was so close to the finish was brutal.  I just wanted to cruise down to 285, enjoy a frosty beverage, and close the race out in style.  That was not to be.  Holy moly that was not to be!  Second, just missing the window to ride through the construction work sans pilot vehicle, and instead having to sit on the side of the asphalt for almost 2 hours in what I will now dub as the Tarryall Penalty Box (author nods his head to El Freako), was almost unbearable to my admittedly fragile psyche at that point.  In my opinion it was a very un-CTR like experience for something that I know was supposed to add to the CTR experience.  I think this one is going to upset a few folks.  I hope not, though.  My suggestion for those still out there, if you know that you are going to miss the pilot vehicle and have to sit for a few hours, do yourself this service.  Stop at that bar right when you turn onto 77 and drink a few pints.  It will work wonders for your mental disposition concerning the Tarryall Detour.

Finally, a bit of a tale that I believe should be a part of CTR lore.  If what Jesse and Jefe were able to do wasn't enough, the beauty that is Trail Angel Apple told me the following story.  When I arrived at Camp Apple, Apple did what Apple does.  He takes care of you in a manner that one cannot truly explain unless one has experienced it while tired, hot and dirty.  He gives you some chips, makes you the best damn root beer float in the world, and chats amiably while you sit there stuffing your face.  In between bites of goodness, he told me that Jesse was the first one to arrive a few hours before on that day.  Jesse sat down, enjoyed a cold beverage and talked a bit.  A few minutes later, as Jefe approached, Apple started to ready himself for the arrival of his second guest.  Well, instead of stopping, Apple said, Jefe just rolled on through without putting his foot down.  Ha!  I don't know why that tickles me, but it does.  That is why Jefe and Jesse get awards in Badassery!  And Matt too!

Cheers folksies,
Jerry

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #301 on: July 26, 2013, 03:07:58 PM
Matt Schiff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: July 26, 2013, 03:07:58 PM »

Not unless we both did  Wink That thing has been sitting there for ages - what is the deal?

Nice effort Matt, and thanks for sharing some insightful, personal stuff.

Yup, that was it. The flag was maybe 20 feet up the trail. I thought I was holding it together pretty well as I recited the manta "go gently" from the film "Cold".

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #302 on: July 26, 2013, 03:17:45 PM
Matt Schiff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: July 26, 2013, 03:17:45 PM »

matt:  can you or anyone explain a bit more of the tarryall construction segment?  i was at the finish (just a blue dot fan) when Jefe and Jesse came in and i heard them mention how hard it was, how time consuming it was etc......and i'd like to know more about this part...thanks for the personal accounts and congrats on an amazing effort....

I didn't do my research on the Tarryall segment other than to see that there was plenty of water. I thought I'd heard someone say 5 hours but that seems like a lot of miles to be covered in that time. From Kenosha to the singletrack on 560 took me 12 hours, 9 hours of riding. I never realized any of it was paved. Once the construction is complete it'll be 25+ miles or so paved. As for the conditions the construction zone and FS211 just felt like trying to ride on a sponge. It was taking all my effort to ride 5 mph up slight grades. It's really sand, probably pretty loose usually, but had obviously rained heavily. But riding at night, the end of my 4th day, and having to calorie ration, I had to accept that maybe it really wasn't that hard.

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #303 on: July 26, 2013, 03:20:25 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: July 26, 2013, 03:20:25 PM »

Mark Caminiti called in from Mt. Princeton.
http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/ctr13/

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #304 on: July 26, 2013, 04:11:43 PM
Buttermilk

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 26, 2013, 04:11:43 PM »

All in all, the race was great.  But, if you are a rookie and are out there right now, just finishing up or you intend to race for the first time next year or some year thereafter, make sure you thoroughly enjoy the time on the trail and pocket those memories.  They are grand.  And meaningful.  I promise you.

Cheers folksies,
Jerry

First off, great ride Jerry. Yep..fully agree with this statement. The memories are meaningful. Drink fully of the CTR and enjoy all it offers. I did just that last year on my rookie run and watching the dots this year brought back some great memories. Thanks to those finished and those still pedaling. The CTR is truly special.

Up & down on dirt & snow
I've got all my eggs in one basket

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #305 on: July 26, 2013, 04:18:56 PM
bmattingly44@yahoo.com

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 26, 2013, 04:18:56 PM »

Hey all,

Just got a call a couple hours ago from Eric Foster.  He crashed his  bike hard coming down a downhill section about 4 miles outside of Breckinridge.  He cracked his helmet and fully tacoed his front tire and has some road rash but is ok.  After fueling up he planned to ride through tonight to beeline to the finish.  He sounds psyched, confident, and is having a good time.  Very glad to see Eric fully going for the triple crown.

Huge congrats to another Arizona rider Max Morris.  Way to go and good job representing our state.

Both of you guys rock!!!  And all the other finishers too!!

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #306 on: July 26, 2013, 07:09:04 PM
border collie

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 26, 2013, 07:09:04 PM »

Got a text from my sister Jarmila Gorman.  She crashed, is walking to the trailhead between Sargents Mesa and Marshall Pass, 2 3/4 miles to rd. 780, hoping to hitch a ride from there to Salida.  Looks like her SPOT is accurate -- she went down a trail to a small road.  So bummed for her but wow, what an effort!  If anyone's in that area, I know there'll be a mountain biker there in a bit, hoping for a ride.  And probably a beer.   She said "mild whiplash" so doesn't sound bad, but....
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 07:54:40 PM by border collie » Logged

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #307 on: July 26, 2013, 07:24:47 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: July 26, 2013, 07:24:47 PM »

The wet soft sand seemed to suck all the power out of my legs.

Ha! That's exactly how I remember the Tarryall detour in '07 too!

Quote from: Matt Schiff
- Best comment. “You’re training for Leadville, aren’t you.”

That is awesome.  It's so funny how to the layman, the Leadville 100 is the hardest, most inconceivable bike race imaginable...  I have to add my favorite comment too.  On one of the most rocky parts leading to Sargents Mesa, I was riding with Ryan Franz and he says, "This part doesn't flow very well."  LOL, understatement of the year...

Thanks for posting your insightful thoughts.  I enjoyed and appreciated reading them.

--Stefan

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
  -- frequently (mis)attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #308 on: July 26, 2013, 07:31:08 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: July 26, 2013, 07:31:08 PM »

I also want to thank Stefan for all of his work this year.  I really appreciate it.  Sorry about your hands.  That is brutal. 
You're welcome! It was a lot easier this year with Scott handling all the SPOTs in Durango, and Joey organizing the Pow-Wow at Carvers.  Huge props to them too!

With respect to the Tarryall Detour <snip> Stop at that bar right when you turn onto 77 and drink a few pints.  It will work wonders for your mental disposition concerning the Tarryall Detour.

Good call there.  Of course going Denver to Durango, you might want to pack a few pints, and down them at Wellington Lake. We might have to re-open the Poll on Tarryall after all the folks have experienced it this year. The few sentiments I've heard so far echo my own thoughts and why I've been reluctant about switching away from US-285.  Both are really the lowest/worst spots of the CTR IMO.

Thanks for posting some great thoughts, Jerry.

--Stefan

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
  -- frequently (mis)attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #309 on: July 26, 2013, 07:34:58 PM
gdillon

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 26, 2013, 07:34:58 PM »

Hey all. Rode Kenosha to Georgia pass today. Saw 7 riders, talked to Nate, Brady, Danny, Joey, and dude in the yellow jersey on top that I can't remember your name. My pictures were too big to download, so I will post them up if I can figure out how to decrease the size.

Everyone looked strong, and I was reminded of the emotional aspect of this race. The day, combined with Matt and Jerry's posts from above, really hit me hard. For those guys, being on the 6th day of the race, and having made it so far in 3 days less than it would have taken me, I hope they can keep the good thoughts going. Although the vibe was a little bit "over it", I understand the difficulty and can only say that a 7 day finish still seems super human to me! May the weather gods smile on everyone still out there riding and may the sand not be too deep for those on tarryall.

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #310 on: July 26, 2013, 07:40:20 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: July 26, 2013, 07:40:20 PM »

Ben Gannon called in from the start of Segment 2!
http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/ctr13/

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #311 on: July 26, 2013, 07:49:05 PM
Joliver

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: July 26, 2013, 07:49:05 PM »

Stefan, thanks for your response.  Man, for lack of a better word, the organic nature of this race is bad ass.  My wife and I are going to be in Boulder next weekend for the Gregory Alan Isakov concert.   Let me know if you (and/or your wife) are around and want to get a beer/eat dinner.  If not, no problem. I just wanted to extend the invite.  You are a badass.

JO

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #312 on: July 26, 2013, 08:25:35 PM
desertrat

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 26, 2013, 08:25:35 PM »

Got a text from my sister Jarmila Gorman.  She crashed, is walking to the trailhead between Sargents Mesa and Marshall Pass, 2 3/4 miles to rd. 780, hoping to hitch a ride from there to Salida.  Looks like her SPOT is accurate -- she went down a trail to a small road.  So bummed for her but wow, what an effort!  If anyone's in that area, I know there'll be a mountain biker there in a bit, hoping for a ride.  And probably a beer.   She said "mild whiplash" so doesn't sound bad, but....

I hope your sis is OK.  So much admiration for her effort!

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #313 on: July 26, 2013, 09:01:31 PM
sniz

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 26, 2013, 09:01:31 PM »

Ran into Forest Baker heading up Tenmile around 6pm today. Looking strong and all smiles. AZTR, TD, and now CTR, that man is one tough dude! Congrats to the finishers and the folks still out there!

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #314 on: July 26, 2013, 09:17:12 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: July 26, 2013, 09:17:12 PM »

Colorado Trail Race 2013 Day 6 True Ups!
http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/podcasts/

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #315 on: July 26, 2013, 09:41:12 PM
NedCOJo

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 26, 2013, 09:41:12 PM »

Bummer, looks like Dave Pickett-Heaps is off course. Hope he figures it out soon.

TJ -- looks like you'll be rolling in tonight!

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #316 on: July 27, 2013, 01:04:24 AM
Nancy

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 27, 2013, 01:04:24 AM »

77 riders, 77 fascinating stories.  I'd love to hear all of them!

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #317 on: July 27, 2013, 06:12:59 AM
lizzieg

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 27, 2013, 06:12:59 AM »

Hey all,

Just got a call a couple hours ago from Eric Foster.  He crashed his  bike hard coming down a downhill section about 4 miles outside of Breckinridge.  He cracked his helmet and fully tacoed his front tire and has some road rash but is ok.  After fueling up he planned to ride through tonight to beeline to the finish.  He sounds psyched, confident, and is having a good time.  Very glad to see Eric fully going for the triple crown.

Huge congrats to another Arizona rider Max Morris.  Way to go and good job representing our state.

Both of you guys rock!!!  And all the other finishers too!!
Glad you heard from him. Following his blue dot yesterday, it seemed something was amiss. I hope he's really OK, cracked helmet doesn't sound OK, but that isn't likely to stop him at this point. I'm amazed.....

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #318 on: July 27, 2013, 06:29:02 AM
Bcar

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 27, 2013, 06:29:02 AM »

Talked to my brother Bob Butrico late last night.  Unless he wakes up feeling amazing, he's going to scratch this years race ;( legs and lungs aren't feeling it and he said its starting to be less and less fun. Bummer. But at least he knows he's finished it before, takes a little pain out of it.

Huge props to all the finishers and everyone else still out on the trail rocking it out!! Keep it up!!

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #319 on: July 27, 2013, 06:30:33 AM
Chelsea

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 27, 2013, 06:30:33 AM »

Heard from Brue (BS) lastnight. Will (WR) and him stopped for the night in Salida.. Everything is good with them.. They are enjoying the ride, taking lots of pictures and having fun. They plan to take care of a minor mechanical issue and continue on to Denver.
  Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: