Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #400 on: July 30, 2013, 06:17:22 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: July 30, 2013, 06:17:22 PM »

Personally, I don't think people like Lance/Rusch/et al have what it takes to be self-supported for that long.

My personal take on it is far more practical: these amazing pro athletes already have strict race schedules, which they would somehow have to get out of (for the race, and for the recovery time, which could be far longer), and when you're riding to pay for your mortgage, etc, you're not going to f- around. I don't see myself as an athlete, but I'm under the impression that most of the athletes that do see themselves as fairly serious about competition and doing these ultra endurance, self-supported, no prize money things are also retired from what was once basically, their 9-5 job.

An example of this (in another sport, though) is Tony, and his attempt at the Nolans 14. He had a bad run of it, and COULD have just done a, "do over" in a few days after, but he couldn't, as it would interfere with his racing schedule (and as an extension, what his sponsors would like him to do).

These races - almost by design would be very hard to corporate-ize; the permit process would be beyond daunting, insurance coverage - the whole thing. "The Colorado Trail Race, brought to you by SRAM" will never be.  As it stands: a bunch of sadists on bikes in the woods, works pretty well for me. If some Pro rider does buck my theory (it would be just like getting a long leave of absense from any job, really - or see it as professional development!), I wouldn't do anything but all-inclusively welcome them with open arms - it just adds to the wonderful variation of who we all are: this person's a carpenter, that person owns a bike shop, this person's a school teacher, that person works at a pastry shop, those people over there, well they just live in mountain towns and ride their bikes lots and pick up any old job Wink

What Rusch et al. may have that some of these other people don't have, is a marketing person behind them in their main sponsor, giving press releases to Velo News (or, whatever).

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #401 on: July 30, 2013, 07:52:07 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 30, 2013, 07:52:07 PM »

Someone needs to give the CTR the "Ride the Divide" documentary treatment.
Bringing commercial exposure will do nothing positive for the CTR.
Was thinking about this... I would really like to do something of the sort. Started to chat with some people. It truly deserves it, Jefe, Jesse, Matt, and well everyone deserves it.
I've finished the CTR twice (and failed once), and I don't "deserve" anything more than what I've already received: great memories, some interesting lessons, a handful of photos, some awesome new friends, and a few life-altering revelations. I'm a slow guy (who pushes hard), but that's more than enough for me.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 08:37:15 AM by TobyGadd » Logged

"Done"

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #402 on: July 30, 2013, 07:57:04 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #402 on: July 30, 2013, 07:57:04 PM »

Agreed, Toby.  Well said on both counts.

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #403 on: July 31, 2013, 08:28:28 AM
Danno

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 31, 2013, 08:28:28 AM »

As it stands: a bunch of sadists on bikes in the woods, works pretty well for me.

I think the term you were looking for was masochists.  Unless there's some really weird shit going on during the race that us spectators know nothing about!  icon_biggrin

FWIW, as a sideline guy who will never ever compete in this race, I think a documentary would be neat, but agree that it would not be good to get too much publicity.  That said, y'all have nothing to fear.  I don't think there are that many people interested in such a brutal race, fully self-supported.  The type of rider who might bring the "Lance Armstrong" effect wouldn't be interested, I suspect.  Riding the Leadville 100 is one thing, going out on your own into the wilderness (little "w") for 4 days is entirely another.

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #404 on: July 31, 2013, 11:30:10 AM
cmn529

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 31, 2013, 11:30:10 AM »

I'll be doing the course sweep, starting my ITT tomorrow at 5am from Waterton.  Yes, my pink dot should actually start moving.  I'll miss meeting the other crazies on the trail this year and the camaraderie. 

Hopefully a little wiser this year, 30 min water purification time is not merely a suggestion  thumbsup and I have sunblock this time!  After reading all your reports and seeing the splintered tree pic (yikes), I'm praying to the weather gods.

All your pictures and reports has gotten me stoked for this year's attempt, thank you for sharing!

Chrissy Nacos

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #405 on: July 31, 2013, 11:38:02 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #405 on: July 31, 2013, 11:38:02 AM »

Good luck Chrissy - I'll be two days behind you (starting on the 3rd)

Just don't drop your camera like Scott did (I have enough to carry)  Wink

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #406 on: July 31, 2013, 11:40:44 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: July 31, 2013, 11:40:44 AM »

Mark Caminiti called in from Lenny’s Rest!
http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/ctr13/

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #407 on: July 31, 2013, 12:20:49 PM
cmn529

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 31, 2013, 12:20:49 PM »

Good luck Woodland!  Nice to know someone else will be out there too.  I'll have them halt the construction for you Saturday.

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #408 on: July 31, 2013, 02:30:05 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: July 31, 2013, 02:30:05 PM »

I think the term you were looking for was masochists.  Unless there's some really weird shit going on during the race that us spectators know nothing about!  icon_biggrin

What happens on the CTR, stays on the CTR Wink

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #409 on: July 31, 2013, 02:55:48 PM
GrizzlyAdam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #409 on: July 31, 2013, 02:55:48 PM »

I thought long and good out there about doing a photo/essay project about the CT and the people of the CTR. I think it could be done without damaging the mystique and underground nature of the event. The best thing the CTR has going for it is its sheer brutality. I don't think it will ever get much bigger than it is because it's just too much of a commitment for anyone to approach casually. HAB has a way of turning away the masses. Smiley

Just as long as the gubmint doesn't get involved, I think the CTR will have a long happy life underground, even if it gets mainstream media attention.

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #410 on: July 31, 2013, 03:25:25 PM
cjdunn

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 31, 2013, 03:25:25 PM »

I was so close to doing it this year but various circumstances kept me away. I've really enjoyed the photos and stories and hope to make my own next year. In the meantime I'm still watching dots. Right now I'm watching Mark (MA) and Josiah (JM) on their ITT. I recently met these great guys on my first bikepacking adventure on the Kaibab 150. I thought they would stay together but suddenly Josiah is almost 50 miles ahead. I hope Mark isn't having issues.

If your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough.

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #411 on: August 01, 2013, 06:54:36 AM
nepbug

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 01, 2013, 06:54:36 AM »

At 5:09 a.m. today Chrissy Nacos headed out for her Denver to Durango ITT.

I rode the first 6 miles with her to send her off, her spirits were high and she said her legs were feeling good.  That's good to hear because just 11 days ago we finished the Wyoming Cowboy Tough Adventure Race (250 miles bike, 50 miles trek and 40 miles paddling over 3.5 days with about 5 hours sleep). 

She is not going to have the benefit of a full moon out there, the crescent that was out this morning sure didn't provide much light.

Here's to watching her dot make its way to Durango!

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #412 on: August 01, 2013, 09:42:33 AM
mtnbound

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 01, 2013, 09:42:33 AM »

Good luck to Chrissy and Woodland on their ITT!  I am impressed that Chrissy did the adventure race only 11 days ago. 

Great to see the racers that recently finished this super hard race!  Hats off to everyone that toed the line and to all finishers!

It looks like Mark Allen turned around yesterday on the La Garita detour, came back and headed to Creede (not sure why he headed to Creede instead of Lake City, which would have much shorter and an easy downhill ride into town).  I am guessing he either crashed and/or has a major problem with his bike.  Hope he is all right.  I rode with him briefly last year on the CTR and enjoying chatting with him.  Anyone know if he is OK?

Finally, while it is still fresh in everyone's minds, just curious if those who rode would post a few items of equipment that worked well and the items that didn't (and maybe with a brief explanation why it didn't work).  Equipment is always changing and being updated, but sometimes new equipment doesn't always work as well as expected.  For instance, with all the rain and hail, what rain gear did you use and did it work?

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #413 on: August 01, 2013, 12:39:17 PM
mforness3000

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 01, 2013, 12:39:17 PM »

Yup, I confirm both myself and Jefe were on XX1 with 28t ring up front.  Interestingly Jefe ran Gripshift but mounted it on the left side of the bar.  I have the trigger on the right.  Since Jefe had 29" wheels he was geared just a little taller than me on 27.5" but either way the range is huge.
'

Just curious here, (its the rider and not the bike), but what bike was Jesse sporting this year? thanks, matt f

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #414 on: August 01, 2013, 03:26:44 PM
jakomait

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 01, 2013, 03:26:44 PM »

'

Just curious here, (its the rider and not the bike), but what bike was Jesse sporting this year? thanks, matt f
Hi Matt,
You are right, the bike doesn't really matter but it can change where you have fun and where you loose a bit of time.  I was riding a Scott Genius 700 with XX1 drivetrain.  Its a 27.5" wheeled bike with 150mm of travel.  I honestly didnt have the hand strength to bottom it out even once though but the hot ticket this year was I kept my Reverb dropper post on and it felt like such a game changer.  Steep nasty trails got a lot easier to roll down and the fear of pitching over the bars disappeared.  You have to get creative with your gear to make that work but if you can pull it off I highly recommend it!

It is better to regret the things you've done than the things you haven't.

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #415 on: August 01, 2013, 03:41:35 PM
Gimmearaise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #415 on: August 01, 2013, 03:41:35 PM »

Jesse,

Did you notice the front end a bit heaver with a lack of saddle bag holding down the rear? I would love to do this or at least love to have one of those small suspension seats for races like these. I just fear that my front end would be weighed down too much.

WWW.BikepackingSummit.com

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #416 on: August 01, 2013, 04:06:24 PM
jakomait

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 01, 2013, 04:06:24 PM »

Jesse,

Did you notice the front end a bit heaver with a lack of saddle bag holding down the rear? I would love to do this or at least love to have one of those small suspension seats for races like these. I just fear that my front end would be weighed down too much.

I personally cant stand weight off my seatpost and didnt have a problem with bike control.  In previous years I had a bottle cage off the back of my post and I tried to keep it empty as much as possible.  For the weight on the bars, I feel I can control it better since my hands have leverage on it the source.  I also tried to keep the heavy items in my frame bag but at Silverton I had to have a day's worth of food in the bar bag along with my sleeping bag and rain gear.   The big challenge isnt weight distribution but having enough storage space especially since I went packless this year.  I left more things at home than previous years just because of limited space.  Made it lighter but nonessential like sunscreen would have been nice!  All I can say is give it a try!

It is better to regret the things you've done than the things you haven't.

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #417 on: August 01, 2013, 04:37:51 PM
Bedrock

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 01, 2013, 04:37:51 PM »

Jesse,
Why didn't you say anything? I'll make you a custom bag for your sunscreen next year! If you carry lip balm I got you covered on that too.

All jokes aside, great effort this year. It was a pleasure to be a blue dot watcher.

Andrew

Bedrock Bags - Andrew Wracher

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #418 on: August 01, 2013, 05:34:00 PM
Shirey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #418 on: August 01, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »

I must give a giant, grateful shout-out to Hal Loewen for finding my camera on the trail and carrying it with him for 480 miles to try and reunite it with the owner. What an awesome person.

I'm sure we all know the sacrifice that it takes to pick up someone else's significant grams along the trail like that. I'm sure he cursed me every time he saw that thing in his pack.

Thank you Hal! Congrats on your successful CTR ride! I owe you way more than a beer and I'll make it up to you.

Topic Name: CTR 2013 Discussion Reply #419 on: August 01, 2013, 06:13:11 PM
asatrur

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 01, 2013, 06:13:11 PM »

Congrats to all starters and finishers! You are amazing. I am looking at this for next year.
  Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: