Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: CTR 2012 Planning Reply #100 on: March 20, 2012, 01:15:02 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2012, 01:15:02 PM »

I did hang my food almost every night, but never camped above treeline.  Generally I'm less worried about bears above treeline anyway, although it's by no means out of their range.  The one time I didn't hang my food I knew I was sleeping for less than two hours anyway, so I just left everything in place next to my sleeping bag.

I've raced for well over a decade in many disciplines, but I found that the CTR was a whole different form of "racing".  I certainly didn't feel that seconds, minutes, or even relatively large chunks of time mattered all that much...

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Planning Reply #101 on: March 20, 2012, 01:18:04 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2012, 01:18:04 PM »

I've raced for well over a decade in many disciplines, but I found that the CTR was a whole different form of "racing".  I certainly didn't feel that seconds, minutes, or even relatively large chunks of time mattered all that much...
Wise words. I took a shower in Silverton. In what other race is that not just plain silly?!?!

"Done"

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Planning Reply #102 on: March 20, 2012, 01:20:29 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2012, 01:20:29 PM »

Interesting article for those concerned about altitude sickness on the CTR:

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/20/ibuprofen-may-ward-off-altitude-sickness/?hpt=hp_t3

There's been some research out there that suggests that ultra-endurance efforts and ibuprofen don't mix well, but sometimes choosing the least-bad option is necessary!

Edit: here's an article outlining the negatives of taking ibuprofen:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/01/phys-ed-does-ibuprofen-help-or-hurt-during-exercise/
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:34:28 PM by TobyGadd » Logged

"Done"

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Planning Reply #103 on: March 20, 2012, 02:35:10 PM
Gimmearaise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2012, 02:35:10 PM »

interesting...

Ive also done lots of research on bears in Colorado, and in more populated areas i think it would be a good idea to hang.

Side note:
does anyone not use a back pack and use just a seat back, frame bag, and handle bar bag??
I'm trying to figure out what combination i should use?

WWW.BikepackingSummit.com

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Planning Reply #104 on: March 22, 2012, 09:39:35 AM
mnmtb

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2012, 09:39:35 AM »

I've never ridden a fat bike, but they sound like fun.

I'd wonder more about rotational weight than overall bike weight. There's a lot of slowing down, and then speeding back up again (as you already know!)--and I wonder how much those big tires and rims weigh. But the cushy ride might offset the difference by keeping you on your bike more and adding a level of control and safety. Sounds like you need to bring both bikes to Colorado a couple of days earlier for some test rides!

Correct on both counts.  The rotational weight is noticable, but since the speeds are gennerally so slow going up, I'm not sure it wouldn't actaully be easier than Hike a Bike.

Bringin both bike out early and trying them both sounds like the plan.  Since so many lighter parts on the 29'er could be swapped over, it would be no big deal to switch.  Also, the frame bag for the 29'er almost fits the Muk' perfectly.  (lucked out there)

Rock whatever bike you're gonna have the most fun on!

Excatly my thought thumbsup

This summer I'm planning on at least riding Spring Creek Pass to Durango on the Fatback, just to see what it's like.

Keep us posted.  I would be very interested in how it goes.

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Planning Reply #105 on: March 24, 2012, 08:14:15 AM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2012, 08:14:15 AM »

Toby, great links for both sides of the debate.
I've gone from years [decades?] of popping IBU [like 200 before a long day, 200 at lunch, 200 afterwards] to going almost three years now without taking any, except to treat acute episode(s), like back spasms. I'm convinced that taking NSAIDs ONLY to treat acute episodes works for me. For some reason IBU really messes with my kidneys, bladder [up 3X per night to pee], prostate, etc. I thought weening myself off IBU would increase my aches 'n' pains, but they are about the same without habitually popping it. After practicing Ashtanga for a couple years while chronically taking IBU [I know, WTF was I thinking?] and now having practiced yoga quite a few years essentially IBU-free, my experience seems to confirm the NYT article regarding the blunting of the body's [positive] response to stress/exercise. IMHO, taking IBU doesn't allow the body to learn how to deal with stress. Not that pain and inflammation are good things, that somehow make you one-with-the-universe, but I think letting the body learn how to deal with moderate pain and stress is a good thing. I think a parallel runs with what is currently suggested as treatment for a fever - let it run its course [unless it's dangerously high]. When I was a kid, even the slightest fever was always quenched. And it's funny how aspirin has come back too...
With all that said, my first-aid kit is still going to contain NSAIDs, but [hopefully not] for acute use, not chronic usage.
And IBU as a treatment for AMS? I don't know if the negatives are worth the ~30% chance of improving symptoms [43% vs. 69%]...
-B
Interesting article for those concerned about altitude sickness on the CTR:

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/20/ibuprofen-may-ward-off-altitude-sickness/?hpt=hp_t3

There's been some research out there that suggests that ultra-endurance efforts and ibuprofen don't mix well, but sometimes choosing the least-bad option is necessary!

Edit: here's an article outlining the negatives of taking ibuprofen:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/01/phys-ed-does-ibuprofen-help-or-hurt-during-exercise/

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Planning Reply #106 on: March 26, 2012, 08:03:54 PM
mtnbound

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2012, 08:03:54 PM »

I checked the moon calendar.  The full moon is set for Thursday, August 2, perfect for the CTR!  All riders should have a partial or full moon most of the race (depending on weather conditions).  Should make for awesome night riding (or watching the stars from our shelter).

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Planning Reply #107 on: March 27, 2012, 06:35:18 AM
bartspedden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2012, 06:35:18 AM »

Thanks mtnbound, good to know  hello2

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmm
~ Siddhartha

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Planning Reply #108 on: March 28, 2012, 09:41:25 AM
mtnbound

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2012, 09:41:25 AM »

REI is having a 20% sale for members (thu April 15).  I found a 800 fill down jacket/sweater (very compressable and weighs 15 oz) for a very good price (50% off) that I was considering taking along on the CTR.  I have also looked at REI revelcloud jacket that is similar but has primaloft (retains some heat when wet) instead of down, a bit lighter (12.5 oz) and a bit more compressable but also a bit more expensive.

Any thoughts from those with CTR experience? 

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Planning Reply #109 on: March 28, 2012, 09:48:15 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2012, 09:48:15 AM »

REI is having a 20% sale for members (thu April 15).  I found a 800 fill down jacket/sweater (very compressable and weighs 15 oz) for a very good price (50% off) that I was considering taking along on the CTR.  I have also looked at REI revelcloud jacket that is similar but has primaloft (retains some heat when wet) instead of down, a bit lighter (12.5 oz) and a bit more compressable but also a bit more expensive.

Any thoughts from those with CTR experience? 
Even in wet years, down insulation works very well in Colorado. Especially at altitude, you can dry out a damp jacket or sleeping bag very quickly--it's almost like magic! If you have decent rain gear, I'd go with the down option. Also, I think that down gear is generally a better bargain overall--in my experience, it lasts a lot longer than synthetic insulation.

"Done"

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Planning Reply #110 on: April 10, 2012, 11:01:05 AM
mtnbound

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2012, 11:01:05 AM »

Toby, thanks for the advice. I went with the down jacket.  Been trying it out on these 30 degree mornings lately and it works great.  I will likely use a Precip rain jacket so I hope that will keep it dry. 

FYI, REI's 20% off sale for members ends 4/15. 

On another note, how do riders keep their hands and feet dry and warm when it rains/sleets/hails at 10K+?  I read somewhere in one of these threads about using grocery bags on your feet (inside the shoe).  Any other suggestions?  I am also concerned about hands getting wet and cold at altitude during storms.  My riding gloves don't work so well to keep warm when wet but I haven't found any rain proof stuff to put over them.

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Planning Reply #111 on: April 10, 2012, 11:09:29 AM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2012, 11:09:29 AM »

I made some glove covers/lobster-mitt-thingys out of GoreTex.  No insulation whatsoever, but waterproof and wind resistant, and they pack tiny.  Kept my hands warm through many wet spells, and I wore them on a few clear chilly mornings as well.

As for feet, it's my personal experience that your feet are going to get wet.  Period.  During the summer months I virtually never come out of a ride with dry feet, even if it's clear the entire time.  There are always creeks to ford, bogs to be surprised by, etc... and forget it if it rains.  On the CT I just wore my rain pants cut off at mid-calf and my feet were wet a lot.  Bring two pairs of socks and make sure one is always dry.  Wear them at night and your feet will thank you, even if the rest of you is pissed at having to wake up at 2:30am...

www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Planning Reply #112 on: April 10, 2012, 11:12:45 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2012, 11:12:45 AM »

Toby, thanks for the advice. I went with the down jacket.  Been trying it out on these 30 degree mornings lately and it works great.  I will likely use a Precip rain jacket so I hope that will keep it dry.  

FYI, REI's 20% off sale for members ends 4/15.  

On another note, how do riders keep their hands and feet dry and warm when it rains/sleets/hails at 10K+?  I read somewhere in one of these threads about using grocery bags on your feet (inside the shoe).  Any other suggestions?  I am also concerned about hands getting wet and cold at altitude during storms.  My riding gloves don't work so well to keep warm when wet but I haven't found any rain proof stuff to put over them.
Glad it helped. I don't know about the Precip jacket--but make sure it's waterproof. Getting wet up high is bad.

As for keeping hands and feet dry, I really don't even try. I wear very thick wool socks that keep my feet happy either wet or dry. After a storm, I just wring them out and keep going. For my hands, I carry a pair of full-finger gloves--but they soak through quickly, and are more to keep the wind off than anything. Part of my strategy is too keep moving if it's cold and wet, which tends to keep my hands and feet warm. If I were to get really cold, I do carry a decent bivy and bag, and I would probably stop and snooze until the warm enough to go again--although I never needed to do this in 2010, which was a wet year.

All of that said, I'm also lucky to have good circulation in my hands and feet (maybe something to do with growing up in Canada?). If you get cold hands and feet, then bags or some other solution would be worth considering. Maybe neoprene socks and gloves? GoreTex socks?

"Done"

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Planning Reply #113 on: April 10, 2012, 01:05:16 PM
bartspedden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2012, 01:05:16 PM »

One thing I did last year was to take my gloves off when it rained and put them back on when it stopped.  I wouldn't count on it being warm enough for that to work all the time, but it goes along with the theme of socks.  Always have a dry warm pair :-)

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmm
~ Siddhartha

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Planning Reply #114 on: April 10, 2012, 02:12:16 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 10, 2012, 02:12:16 PM »

One thing I did last year was to take my gloves off when it rained and put them back on when it stopped.  I wouldn't count on it being warm enough for that to work all the time, but it goes along with the theme of socks.  Always have a dry warm pair :-)
Good idea, Bart. I never thought to take my gloves off for the rain!

"Done"

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Planning Reply #115 on: April 10, 2012, 03:26:17 PM
bartspedden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2012, 03:26:17 PM »

Sadly the idea was born out of tired laziness... I was beat up and tired leaving the store at Mt. Princeton Hot Springs kinda anxious and excited to start the next 200 mile leg over to Silverton and it was raining and I just couldn't muster the energy to pull out my rain gloves from the saddle bag.  I didn't really like riding without gloves, I felt a bit naked.  But when it stopped raining an hour later and all I had to do was pull my gloves out from my jacket pocket (and not get off my bike again) I was a happy bikepacker  icon_biggrin

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmm
~ Siddhartha

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Planning Reply #116 on: April 10, 2012, 03:29:53 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2012, 03:29:53 PM »

Sadly the idea was born out of tired laziness... I was beat up and tired leaving the store at Mt. Princeton Hot Springs kinda anxious and excited to start the next 200 mile leg over to Silverton and it was raining and I just couldn't muster the energy to pull out my rain gloves from the saddle bag.  I didn't really like riding without gloves, I felt a bit naked.  But when it stopped raining an hour later and all I had to do was pull my gloves out from my jacket pocket (and not get off my bike again) I was a happy bikepacker  icon_biggrin
In 2010, my hands got some raw spots from being chafed by wet gloves. By Silverton, I was fighting some little infections. With dry gloves, I think that my hands would have remained healthy!

"Done"

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Planning Reply #117 on: April 10, 2012, 04:04:25 PM
mtnbound

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2012, 04:04:25 PM »

Toby and Bart, thanks for the tips!  I will try the grocery bag in shoe idea (along with warm, wool socks).  I recall Jeff K. had feet issues in 2010 due to the rain (a very wet year by all accounts) and would like to avoid such issues if possible.

I will also try removing the gloves when it starts raining.  I have ridden w/o gloves and it feels really strange but it will just take getting used to.  I expect there to be times, particularly at 12K+, where cold rain/sleet may make it bitterly cold on bare hands but that's part of the fun, right!?  I am only bringing 2 pairs - one full fingered riding gloves and one windproof fleece gloves for warmth.  So as long as the fleece gloves always remain dry (i.e. wearing the riding gloves when cold, wet bare hands really are not cutting it), it gives me options. 

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Planning Reply #118 on: April 10, 2012, 04:13:27 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2012, 04:13:27 PM »

I'd say you should expect "feet issues" regardless of what you do.  I've done a lot of things to my poor feet over the last 30 years but nothing compared to the CTR.  They hurt like a mother on a daily basis and looked absolutely awful, and I didn't regain feeling in one of my big toes for months afterward.  But pushing through pain - physical, mental, emotional - is really what makes the CTR possible.  Willpower is worth more than the most waterproof shoe in the world.

www.bedrockbags.com

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Planning Reply #119 on: April 10, 2012, 04:21:00 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »

Other than a couple of blisters, my feet were in pretty good shape overall. But I also wore shoes that were about 1/2 a size too big, along with really puffy wool socks. Not the sort of setup that works well for day rides--but it was great for the CTR. When my feet swelled, the shoes fit just fine (which was about 80% of the race). And the puffy wool socks dried quickly--and kept the moisture away from my skin when they were damp. This year I'm using some copper-threaded mountaineering socks to keep the cooties at bay!

"Done"
  Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: