Pages: [1] 2
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: CTR 2010 pre-race on: July 12, 2010, 09:54:50 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2010, 09:54:50 PM »

New start location and time!  The 2010 start is at Hwy 67 & Rampart Range Rd, about 1/2 mile from the Indian Creek TH.  We will be riding the West leg of the Indian Creek trail #800. The start time has been bumped back to 6:30am to allow everyone a bit more time to get to the new location.  The location is a large, Forest Service parking lot typically used by ATV's and Moto's.  No fee to park or leave a vehicle, although it is out in the middle of nowhere, and I would be wary of leaving a vehicle there for an extended time period.

GPS Files!  The GPS track is getting better every year.  All of the latest reroutes and course changes have been incorporated.  This year's track has a level of detail unmatched by previous years. 

SPOT Trackers  In the past, SPOT units have been provided free of charge by trackleaders.com.  This year, a $25 donation to trackleaders at the race start is strongly advised if you are borrowing one of their units.  This is to offset the amount of work and money that goes into mailing these things around, and creating the tracking pages and leaderboards.  A SPOT is not required for this race.

Pre-race Meeting.  I am not organizing a pre-race meeting this year, and will address any last-minute questions on this forum.  That doesn't mean you all shouldn't hook up for beers somewhere the night before though!

SPOT $25 donations.  Feel free to bring $25 to the start, or you can donate via paypal.  Also, if you are borrowing a SPOT, you will need to bring 2 lithium AA batteries. 

Callins.  Thanks again to Joe Polk of MTBCast for providing a free call-in number and putting together podcast race coverage.  If you are carrying a SPOT, you aren't required to call-in, but it's still nice to hear from you as the race progresses.  If you aren't carrying a SPOT, please call in from Copper, Leadville, B.V. and Silverton at a minimum.  Or if you have a cellphone, call from wherever you like.

Race Links for Friends & Family.
SPOT Tracker Leaderboard
MTBCast Coverage
Race Update Thread (not yet active)
CTR Webpage

Anyone who intends to race this year, please email me privately (stefan@climbingdreams.net) so I can start getting a head count and hopefully gather enough SPOTs for the race.  If you own a SPOT tracker, please provide me with your sharedpage URL.  If you wish to borrow one, please indicate as much and also provide me with your emergency contact info to associate with your borrowed SPOT unit.

Any other questions?  Fire away!  Well, actually read the Rules F.A.Q. first, then fire away!

« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:45:56 AM by Stefan_G » Logged

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
  -- frequently (mis)attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Topic Name: CTR 2010 pre-race Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 11:23:40 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 11:23:40 AM »

I am in Stefan. Looking forward to another fun-filled fiesta! When/where is the pre-race meeting? 

Mark Caminiti

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: CTR 2010 pre-race Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 08:56:02 AM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 08:56:02 AM »

Pre-race Meeting.  I am not organizing a pre-race meeting this year, and will address any last-minute questions on this forum.  That doesn't mean you all shouldn't hook up for beers somewhere the night before though!

SPOT $25 donations.  Feel free to bring $25 to the start, or you can donate via paypal.  Also, if you are borrowing a SPOT, you will need to bring 2 lithium AA batteries. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 09:00:56 AM by Stefan_G » Logged

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
  -- frequently (mis)attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Topic Name: CTR 2010 pre-race Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 10:31:30 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 10:31:30 AM »

I keep hearing that there are a number of riders from Fort Collins who are planning to ride the CTR. I was thinking that it might be fun to get together next week to share a few margaritas, beers, and cheers.

To get the ball rolling, I propose a gathering at the Rio on Wednesday, the 21st of July, at 6:00 PM.

It would be very cool if veterans also joined us, regardless of whether they are going to ride this year or not. For that matter, I encourage anyone who's considering riding in 2011+ to come as well. And, of course, anyone from Denver, etc. is welcome. The more, the merrier!

I don't see this as replacing a night-before meeting (if it happens), but rather as a chance to get together and swap some last minute tips, excitement, etc.

If you can make it, please send an e-mail to "toby.gadd at dogknows.com". Depending on how many people respond, I'll call the Rio ahead of time to reserve a group table or something.

"Done"

Topic Name: CTR 2010 pre-race Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 02:56:12 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 02:56:12 PM »

The pre-race gathering in Fort Collins is still on.

Wednesday, July 21st at 6:00 PM at the Rio.

If you're from outside of the area, here's the address for the Rio:
http://riograndemexican.com/details/locations.aspx?id=1&loc=1

Note that this isn't the "official" pre-race meeting, but rather a chance for riders to get together and share some passion for the ride. I haven't heard whether there's going to be an official meeting this year, but I'll attend that one too if there is.

Cheers,
Toby

"Done"

Topic Name: CTR 2010 pre-race Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 06:15:22 PM
timroz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 06:15:22 PM »

I do enjoy a good 3 margarita hangover, but I doubt anyone wants to hear me tell the *truth* about that damn trail.  Plus after a few margs you bastards would probably talk me into doing it again.

Topic Name: CTR 2010 pre-race Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 07:39:02 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 07:39:02 PM »

I do enjoy a good 3 margarita hangover, but I doubt anyone wants to hear me tell the *truth* about that damn trail.  Plus after a few margs you bastards would probably talk me into doing it again.
That's a definite "yes," then, right?  thumbsup

I promise not to talk you into riding it again. But I don't promise to stop you from convincing yourself to get back on your bike for another soul-searching adventure through one of the most beautiful places on earth! Just think of how much better your ride would be this time now that you have so much knowledge of the route! headbang

"Done"

Topic Name: CTR 2010 pre-race Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 08:36:38 PM
slacey24

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 08:36:38 PM »

I can't make it to the Rio until everyone is on at least their 2nd marg......if it is still on I'll swing by.

Topic Name: CTR 2010 pre-race Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 10:11:52 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 10:11:52 AM »

I didn't realize it until just now, but tonight's CTR meeting at the Rio has a follow-up event that might be of interest to anyone who bike commutes.

From the FC Bikes newsletter: "Dom will discuss "Promoting More Bicycling and Improving Bicycle Safety" (effective tactics for increasing the number of bicyclists within a community while improving bicycle safety.  Dom will transition from this topic to "Attentive Rather than Forgiving Street Design" (How to design streets for significant safety improvements by obligating attentiveness rather than "forgiving" inattentiveness." The Rio will be offering "refreshments and appetizers." Sounds tasty, if a bit dry.

I've had several people ask me how many people are going to tonight's CTR meeting, before deciding if they'll drop in. Which comes first, the chicken or the egg? If everyone stops worrying about what everyone else is doing and just shows up, there should be a decent group!

"Done"

Topic Name: CTR 2010 pre-race Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 11:22:04 AM
sportsman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 11:22:04 AM »

Southern Sun..

It doesn't have an official time yet (6 to 7 pm would be a safe bet), but I've been putting the word out to many of my friends in the front range area that they'll be able to find me and Emily (my wife, not Emily from the southeast) at the Souther Sun on Saturday, July 31.  meaning, that at least two of the 2010 CTR racers will be there (us....), if anyone else would like to join us, meet us, carbo load on Java Porter (or any of their other delicious beverages) is invited...

I'll be wearing a black tee shirt with a picture of Johnny Cash on the chest, I'll try to convince Emily to wear a maroon tee shirt showing her opinion of singlespeeders...

Topic Name: CTR 2010 pre-race Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 08:17:51 PM
nathaniel gallion

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 08:17:51 PM »

I have never done anything quite like this but I'm aiming for 10 days and I'll be happy even if I only make it to Gunnison. I found the online track leaders donation and got that out of the way. Is there any prospect of me carpooling from Colorado Springs with anyone?

Words are mere bubbles of water, deeds are drops of gold

Topic Name: CTR 2010 pre-race Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 05:39:32 PM
jakomait

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 05:39:32 PM »

I'll be coming from the Springs too.  Dont have a set plan yet but I might be able to help you with a ride. 

Does anyone know if there is camping allowed at the start Trail Head?

It is better to regret the things you've done than the things you haven't.

Topic Name: CTR 2010 pre-race Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 08:21:46 PM
sanjuanrider

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 08:21:46 PM »

I'll be coming from the Springs too.  Dont have a set plan yet but I might be able to help you with a ride. 

Does anyone know if there is camping allowed at the start Trail Head?

Yes - Indian Creek Trailhead has a paid Forest Service campground that is in good condition.

Topic Name: CTR 2010 pre-race Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 12:24:40 PM
gdillon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 12:24:40 PM »

I am getting dropped off at Waterton Canyon on Sunday afternoon.  I was going to ride to the trailhead, but I've never been there.  From Lenny's Rest, up towards the Roxborough loop, I've seen the sign to Indian Creek.  If I follow that trail, does anyone know if it's pretty straight forward to get to the Indian Creek campground?  It seems like it, but I spoke with someone earlier this summer that said the network of trails up there can be pretty convoluted... also, going up Waterton seemed easier than trying to ride there on roads.  Thoughts?

Looking forward for this event to start!

Gabe

Topic Name: CTR 2010 pre-race Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 01:16:42 PM
sanjuanrider

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 01:16:42 PM »

Hey Gabe,

I just rode that section from Waterton to Indian Creek trailhead this morning and it is very straightforward.  There are a couple of turns to watch out for but there is good signage that shows trail #800 and/or Indian Creek Trailhead.  See you in a little over a week and good luck!

Topic Name: CTR 2010 pre-race Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 04:15:33 PM
nathaniel gallion

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 04:15:33 PM »

Carpooling is awesome, meet new people, split costs, I dig it! headbang

Words are mere bubbles of water, deeds are drops of gold

Topic Name: CTR 2010 pre-race Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 09:03:35 AM
sportsman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 09:03:35 AM »

since we're talking carpooling... anyone passing through Golden on the morning of the race with room for two racers?

and moreso, how about carpooling plans to get back from Durango to Denver?

Topic Name: CTR 2010 pre-race Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 12:42:25 PM
Emily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 12:42:25 PM »

If it works out I'd happily throw in gas money to get back from Durango.  I was just planning on taking the bus or renting a car if I couldn't bum a ride from anyone.  Even a ride just to Breck or Leadville would work for me as I have friends both places.

Topic Name: CTR 2010 pre-race Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 02:40:52 PM
Esportsman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 02:40:52 PM »

Hi Emily,

We're most likely do the rental car thing (Sportsman and I).  Two caveats-- you have to wait for me to finish the race and we'll be stopping at all the hotsprings between Denver and Durango.  And beer. We stop for good beer too.

Emily from Vancouver

Topic Name: CTR 2010 pre-race Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 02:48:27 PM
mnmtb

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 02:48:27 PM »

My plan is to rent a car in Durango too and get back to Denver to retrieve my car.  If anyone needs a ride back, let me know.  I plan on hanging around Durnago for about half a day after I finish before heading back east.

Jeff
  Pages: [1] 2
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: