Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #60 on: July 15, 2009, 12:30:23 PM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2009, 12:30:23 PM »

So not to scare anyone but I would plan for segment 22 and 23 to take 10+ hours, ten hours if you are primed for some fast hike a bike/ high altitude riding and conditions are perfect, it will take much longer if the conditions are bad or if you are not feeling it. No matter what; plan on lots and lots of hike a bike, atleast half of the trail is gonna demand hiking, not to mention the lack of oxygen. Did I mention it is absolutely gorgeous!!! Cool, can't wait, peace Jefe

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #61 on: July 15, 2009, 04:21:54 PM
KO

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2009, 04:21:54 PM »

Hey all,

Just finished my first attempt at the CT with a buddy Sunday. Unforturnately we only covered approximately 300 miles.  We bailed at Hwy 114 after segment 17.  We met a volunteer Trail Angel there and he gave us a ride to Gunnison where we waited for my wife to pick us up on Monday.  A series of unfortunate events forced us to quit early.

My wife dropped us off at Waterton and we started at 0930.  We reached Bailey at 1930 and stopped in for dinner at the China Village.  We started riding again at 2100 rode 285 in the dark under a full moon and reached Kenosha Pass 15 min. after midnight.  The ride from Bailey to Kenosha was definitely not pleasant so just be careful.

Day two:  We rode from Kenosha to Breck, had dinner and then took the bike path to Frisco around 2030 and stayed at the Snowshoe motel.  Day one I felt slow because I had only slept 6 hrs the two days leading up to the trip and day two wasn't any better.  I felt really drained and I was hiking up even the easiest uphill climbs.  I just had no energy.  It took 4.5 hrs to get to Georgia pass, it normally takes me that much time to do an out-n-back via Jefferson Creek.  

Day three:  We decided to skip segment 7 from Goldhill to Copper because we didn't wanna backtrack from Frisco and we received report from a thru-hiker that just completed the segment that there was still tons of snow up there.  We got a late start today and started the climb from Copper Mtn at 1100.  I finally felt good again and I was riding strong the first five miles of climbing and then I started struggling again with oxygen and just plain feeling sh!tty tired.  The ride up to Searle Pass I was struggling again and starting to really doubt my ability to finish the whole CT.  I was really frustrated with myself, meanwhile, my buddy Kedith was still going strong and feeling great.  During one of Kedith's many breaks waiting for me at Kokomo pass, he fixed a fellow rider's brakes when her cable snapped. This would turn out to be a blessing of sort.  When we reached Camp Hale it was already 1900 and we still had the 7 mile climb to get to Tennessee Pass.  Kedith was sick of riding in the dark and the way I felt, there just was no way we would've made it to Leadville.  So we decided to take Hwy 24 instead of the singletrack to Tennessee pass.  As soon and we get on the highway we crossed Kent and Courtney(the couple who Kedith fixed her bike) who took the wrong turn after coming down from Kokomo Pass.  We talked and they offered to give us a ride to Leadville from Camp Hale.  We didn't hesitate to take them up on the offer so off we went.  We stopped there for dinner and then rode to Halfmoon Creek CG and set up camp at 2030.  Today was the only on the whole trip where we rain into some snow drifts, four short ones to be exact up top before Searle pass to Kokomo pass, so trails are most clear.

Day four:  We started the day at Mt. Elbert th around 1100 and rode segment 11 to Buena Vista and arrived there around 1700.  We stopped in B.V. for about 2.5 hrs to just chill with dinner and resupply at City Market.  We then hopped on the road again and finished set up camp by the bridge 2 miles down from Avalanche TH.  Today was the day that I finally felt like myself again and was riding strong again.  

Day five:  We started about 0830 and finished up segment 13 and soaked in Mt Princeton hot springs.  Best $10 I spent so far on the trip.  I felt great afterwards.  Kedith's friend Steve had made arrangements beforehand to meet us at Chalk Creek Th to start segment 14 and make steak for us  and just hang out.  Well, after setting up the grill we weren't real hungry so we just told Steve to meet us at Highway 50 instead where another one of Kedith's friend Todd had was already gonna meet us for dinner.  We finished segment 14 around 1830 where Steve and Todd met us at Hwy 50.  We set up camp at Fooses Creek and head a big fat juicy grilled steak with corn and baked potatoes on an open fire.   We only rode 7.5 hrs total today but with the hot springs and the steak dinner, it was just the morale boost we needed.  

Day six:  Today started out great again with Todd making us real good breakfast burritos.  We started riding segment 15 about 1000.  Holy shikes that last hike-bike to the divide by Monarch Crest was crappy, but the views were well worth it.  Finished the rest of the segment at Marshall Pass and then along the CT/Monarch Crest to Silver Creek.  From there we rode up to about 11k ft and then out of nowhere we got our first taste of high elevation lightning/thunderstorm.  We decided to just sit out the storm and take lunch.  As soon as we started pedaling again, disaster struck.  Kedith's r. derailleur hanger snapped and he had no replacement.  He forgot to get one before the trip and we had hoped this wasn't going to happen.  Kedith just removed the derailleur and decided to go SS with 32x18 gearing.  Worked well for about five minutes until we started descending and the chain just skipped all over the place and just wouldn't stay.  We tried many more different configurations but with a FS bike and no tensioner nothing worked.  So now we have about 30 miles before we reach Hwy 114 to hitch a ride.  The rest of the day we just hiked up all the ascends and coast down the descends.  We reached the end of segment 16 and camped at Sargents Mesa around 2130.  

Day seven:   We woke up not to happy of the day ahead of us.  We had 20.5 mile sto hike and coast before we get to Hwy 114.  All day we just hiked, coast, fight off millions of mosquitoes, hiked, coast, kill mosquitoes,blah blah blah.  In between all that we we had to wait out two lightning storms at 11k+elevation.  The thunder was really loud and close by and the lightning, while cool to look at, was scary when it's that close.  Our last waiting out the storm, we set up a shelter with my tarp and made a toasty fire because it got cold as f--k.  After about an hour of waiting out the storm, we decided it moved away far enough where it wasn't threatening any more.  We then started the descend to Razor Creek where it was nothing but big loose rocks and ruts.  I got caught in a rut and did and OTB where my head met a big rock.  My helmet saved my ass.  I just lay there for a few minutes before getting up.  So off we went again and finally got to to Highway 114 where we met Apple, a retired gentleman who volunteers out of his own kindness as a trail angel to support thru-hikers and offer drinks and food.  He was heading towards Gunnison anyways so he decided to give us a ride there where we waited for my wife to pick us up the next day.  

So when all was done we were both dissappointed that the trip had to end this way.  I think Kedith more so because was dissappointed in himself for not being more prepared and was just mentally broken in the end after waiting out all the storms and all the hiking.  I was dissapointed as well because I was feeling great and could've finished in my alloted 10 days if I chose to continue alone but this was a team effort and I didn't want to leave him in Gunnison by himself.  I think another thing was also because I was really  looking forward to segments 22 & 23 because I heard how spectacular the views were( especially now after Jefe's report confirming it).

Oh well, maybe another time I guess.  This trip was definitely well worth it and still a lot of fun although we didn't finish.

I'll be posting up a full report in a few days.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 04:34:48 PM by KO » Logged

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #62 on: July 15, 2009, 09:49:10 PM
jonesy792

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2009, 09:49:10 PM »

great write up KO.  Its good to hear of more mtb action on the CT, when I did my little trip I only saw a handful of mtb'ers and no thru riders.  The section between breck and copper is open enough for bikes but the snow makes for some ridiculous climb-a-bike so you were probably smart for detouring.  I like hearing about the sections after copper, it makes me wish I had pushed harder/had more time to keep going past copper.  Mabe next year (CTR??)

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #63 on: July 17, 2009, 03:51:48 AM
AlexMayer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2009, 03:51:48 AM »

Another question to the Colorado Trail insiders: I´ve recently read a report from somebody who had massive problems with poison oak. Is that really an issue on the CT? If yes, any recomendation on how to protect yourself? The web just mentiones the coast regions and not the high mountain areas. Thanks, regards
Alex

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #64 on: July 17, 2009, 05:57:29 AM
KO

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2009, 05:57:29 AM »

No poison oak here.  You might see some poison ivy though.  I the only time I recall seeing it was a little on segment 1 and ironically on segment 2, which happens to be the driest section of all.  You really don't have to worry about it all.

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #65 on: July 17, 2009, 12:49:58 PM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2009, 12:49:58 PM »

Hey anybody ready to declare themselves in for this years CTR? Just curious whose got the hankering for some suffering? I am in unless I get snagged by aliens, break something, hit by a bus, swarmed by killer bees......

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #66 on: July 17, 2009, 01:09:24 PM
Endurance Junkie

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2009, 01:09:24 PM »

I'm in headbang
Got my rain gear
Got my vacation approved
Now if I can find my legs icon_scratch

Finding myself by way of bike

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #67 on: July 17, 2009, 01:43:55 PM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2009, 01:43:55 PM »

I'm in, so long as I don't get forever lost this weekend on the Paunsaugunt.

It's a funny thing, when I lived in Colorado this event just didn't appeal.  2 years in the desert and I can't wait to get up into that cool thin air.  110F out my front door right now, I hear it's cooler on Cataract ridge Wink

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #68 on: July 17, 2009, 04:44:49 PM
riverfever

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2009, 04:44:49 PM »

I'm in for sure.

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #69 on: July 17, 2009, 06:38:37 PM
DaNM

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2009, 06:38:37 PM »

I`ll be starting in Durango on the 30th. Planning is just so difficult, I have not done any.
 I hope I`m the first one to the raspberry patches.

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #70 on: July 18, 2009, 03:58:54 AM
DSochacki

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2009, 03:58:54 AM »

Hey guys. I just joined the site and am going to try and make the trip. I'm from Illinois (elevation > 1k ft haha) so I'm sure I will quickly be put in my place (walking from the car). I was wondering if anyone had a suggested gear list that they would share. I'm sure some people want to keep it to themselves, but I'd like at least a solid starting point. Thanks to a college student's budget and a big vet bill (thanks to my dog) I'm going to really need to stretch every dollar to make this trip work. (Getting additional gear, getting to CO, surviving, and making it back.)

Thanks guys, and hopefully I get to see you in 2 weeks.

-Dan
(Better to plan late than never I guess.)

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #71 on: July 19, 2009, 05:18:00 PM
Kevin Montgomery

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »

I'm in as well.

Definitely worried about the elevation.  Living at 50 feet probably isn't preparing me too well for 11,000'.  I also haven't seen a drop of rain in ~3 months.  It's going to be fun out there!  headbang

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #72 on: July 20, 2009, 11:25:45 AM
cat morrison

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2009, 11:25:45 AM »

I'm in, excited, nervous, ready for the adventure of my life!!!  I can hardly wait...I wake up in the middle of a dead sleep thinking about it sleepy1

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #73 on: July 20, 2009, 12:28:53 PM
Endurance Junkie

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2009, 12:28:53 PM »

I'm in, excited, nervous, ready for the adventure of my life!!!  I can hardly wait...I wake up in the middle of a dead sleep thinking about it sleepy1
yep,
you just summed up how I been feeling!

Finding myself by way of bike

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #74 on: July 20, 2009, 02:04:51 PM
Carney

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2009, 02:04:51 PM »

Count me in. 

Should be "interesting" that's for sure.

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #75 on: July 20, 2009, 07:31:11 PM
Kemler

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2009, 07:31:11 PM »

I was up riding this weekend to try and get my setup dialed in.  Ran into a fellow participant up there (Tom from Ramstrong).  Spent the night and had a close encounter with a black bear in the morning while I was trying to get my rear tire's flat fixed.  Came up behind me and was 15-20 feet behind me when he finally stepped on a log and alerted me to his presance.  Took some effort to scare him off.  The whole thing was kind of crazy.  
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 07:36:31 PM by Kemler » Logged

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #76 on: July 20, 2009, 08:08:57 PM
cat morrison

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2009, 08:08:57 PM »

I was up riding this weekend to try and get my setup dialed in.  Ran into a fellow participant up there (Tom from Ramstrong).  Spent the night and had a close encounter with a black bear in the morning while I was trying to get my rear tire's flat fixed.  Came up behind me and was 15-20 feet behind me when he finally stepped on a log and alerted me to his presance.  Took some effort to scare him off.  The whole thing was kind of crazy. 
Dude! Where were you?  Pepper spray is definitely a part of my set up. 

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #77 on: July 20, 2009, 09:03:26 PM
ramstrong1

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2009, 09:03:26 PM »

Hey JEFF!  It was great meeting you this weekend!  Did you meet Phil ( british fellow on a to On-One) on the way out?  He was heading out for his solo attempt.  Anyway!  If you want to talk shop give me a call!

tom
970-988-1206!

PS  Ready or not, Steve Stalgren and I are definitely IN!  About $8,000 raised for our charity!   headbang

PSS  Bring you kitty litter tires for the hayman burn area!!!

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #78 on: July 21, 2009, 06:43:39 AM
TimG!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2009, 06:43:39 AM »

Hey all,

Unfortunately, I will not be able to race this year.  I have too many logistical problems that can't be solved, mainly time off from work.  It's a total bummer but ya know it could be a lot worse, right?  Good luck to everyone trying to tackle this monster and thanks to everyone involved in organizing this.  I can't wait to watch the drama unfold.  Have fun, be safe!

Tim Graczyk

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #79 on: July 21, 2009, 07:09:47 AM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2009, 07:09:47 AM »

Hey all,

Unfortunately, I will not be able to race this year.  I have too many logistical problems that can't be solved, mainly time off from work.  It's a total bummer but ya know it could be a lot worse, right?  Good luck to everyone trying to tackle this monster and thanks to everyone involved in organizing this.  I can't wait to watch the drama unfold.  Have fun, be safe!

Tim Graczyk

Bummer Tim!
  Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: