Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 06:07:38 PM
Biggs23

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 06:07:38 PM »

Hello everyone!!
Just an update.I rode the Waterton-Canyon to Top of the World section today,and the trail is in awesome shape.There were some trees blocking the trail by Bear Creek,but easy to get around,some muddy spots also.Wellington Lake and the detour tomorrow.Take care.
Thomas

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 08:20:13 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 08:20:13 AM »

Most likely there will be SPOT units to borrow for any CTR racers.  No promises yet, but SPOT hooked us up with a number of units for TD and the understanding is that they will do the same for CTR.

We will definitely have a tracker for everyone in the race.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #22 on: June 14, 2009, 02:18:30 PM
ramstrong1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2009, 02:18:30 PM »

That's awesome!  I was just contemplating buying one at my wife's insistance!  There's an extra 149 I can spend on Nutella!  Thanks for the valuable info!  7 weeks and counting!  Hopefully a new weather pattern will have set in by August!  sad2

PS Like the trail changes...........................

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #23 on: June 14, 2009, 06:26:31 PM
Kevin Montgomery

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2009, 06:26:31 PM »

Most likely there will be SPOT units to borrow for any CTR racers.  No promises yet, but SPOT hooked us up with a number of units for TD and the understanding is that they will do the same for CTR.

It has been the intent of the TD organizers to lend units to all CTR racers as we did in 2008.  If you want to own a unit for your own personal reasons, by all means purchase one, otherwise you can expect to be lent a demo unit.

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #24 on: June 14, 2009, 09:41:26 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2009, 09:41:26 PM »

It has been the intent of the TD organizers to lend units to all CTR racers as we did in 2008.  If you want to own a unit for your own personal reasons, by all means purchase one, otherwise you can expect to be lent a demo unit.

I just wanted to extend a huge personal thank you to all the TD organizers for doing this!!  So cool.

CTR racers won't be required to use a SPOT, but it is strongly suggested, sort of like the start time...  I will certainly be carrying one.  If everyone has one, it keeps the race fair and removes the need for call-ins.  To get a head start, anyone who wants one, please email me or PM me and I'll coordinate with the TD folks to get 'em lined up.   'Course, there may be some TDers that also intend to do the CTR and can just keep the ones they have.  That's just plain nuts!  TD + CTR in the same year...   notworthy

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
  -- frequently (mis)attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 07:06:36 AM
murphyo

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 07:06:36 AM »

Stefan,

Thanks again for dealing with all of the route and race logistics! Quick question: For the detour through Bailey, are we going to ride first to Wellington Lake and then to Bailey on FS 560, or take FS 550 (Redskin Rd) straight to Bailey? I couldn't tell from the CTR website directions, and both look about comparable distances... I think I'm clear on everything else, thanks!

-Owen

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 08:26:35 AM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 08:26:35 AM »

Stefan,

Thanks again for dealing with all of the route and race logistics! Quick question: For the detour through Bailey, are we going to ride first to Wellington Lake and then to Bailey on FS 560, or take FS 550 (Redskin Rd) straight to Bailey? I couldn't tell from the CTR website directions, and both look about comparable distances... I think I'm clear on everything else, thanks!

-Owen

We simply ride to the end of Segment 3, which is where the CT hits FS 560 (aka Wellington Lake Rd).  From there, we hang a right and it is ~8 miles of gravel road into Bailey.  Wellington Lake is to the left about a mile, so no, we are not going to the actual lake itself.  Unless you need a swim and a soak... :-)

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #27 on: June 15, 2009, 09:38:14 AM
Kevin Montgomery

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2009, 09:38:14 AM »

'Course, there may be some TDers that also intend to do the CTR and can just keep the ones they have.  That's just plain nuts!  TD + CTR in the same year...   notworthy

Oh man, are there any takers for that challenge this year?

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 06:47:16 AM
Dick D

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 06:47:16 AM »

Hello from the Gulf Coast of Texas. Just found the site and presently living vicariously through all you guys in the mountains. Planning on some trips next summer/fall with my teenage son. Meanwhile I'm trying to convince my wife to move up to Denver from the unforgiving humidity of Houston. The dream is to transfer or promote with work up to Denver in order to be on the backdoor of the CTR and GDMBR.

In the meantime, thanks to all of you for sharing your info and experiences. I'll practice in the hill country around Austin/Big Bend in anticipation of experiencing what I read about here.

"Do or Do Not. There is no Try." - Yoda

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #29 on: June 16, 2009, 02:38:34 PM
murphyo

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2009, 02:38:34 PM »

Well I don't know whether to laugh or cry, but you can scratch my name from the official list of CTR finishers. In researching this year's detour through Bailey, I realized that I unwittingly cut the course last year. Instead of riding segment 3 all the way to FS 560, I left the Colorado Trail at FS 543 (3 miles early). I'd like to blame the fisherman that I asked two years ago on my first attempt ("Is this Wellington Lake Road?", I gasped. "Yup, the lake is thataway" he said with a slight nod of his head. Unfortunately there is more than one road to Wellington Lake.), but there really is no one to blame but myself. Didn't even stop to think about it last year because I just assumed it was the correct route. My apologies...

They say the third time is a charm, so I hope to get it right this year! Forget Sargent's Mesa and Cataract Ridge, my crux will come on the first day.

-Owen

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #30 on: June 16, 2009, 02:50:20 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2009, 02:50:20 PM »

Well I don't know whether to laugh or cry, but you can scratch my name from the official list of CTR finishers. In researching this year's detour through Bailey, I realized that I unwittingly cut the course last year. Instead of riding segment 3 all the way to FS 560, I left the Colorado Trail at FS 543 (3 miles early). I'd like to blame the fisherman that I asked two years ago on my first attempt ("Is this Wellington Lake Road?", I gasped. "Yup, the lake is thataway" he said with a slight nod of his head. Unfortunately there is more than one road to Wellington Lake.), but there really is no one to blame but myself. Didn't even stop to think about it last year because I just assumed it was the correct route. My apologies...

They say the third time is a charm, so I hope to get it right this year! Forget Sargent's Mesa and Cataract Ridge, my crux will come on the first day.

-Owen

Hum, look at it this way, you will get to do about 3 miles of 'new to you' ST, mostly climbing and then a new detour/route around lost creek WA.

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #31 on: June 16, 2009, 03:09:49 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2009, 03:09:49 PM »

-Owen

D'oh!! Holy crap, man.  I don't know whether to laugh or cry myself.  Just makes me kinda...  icon_puke_l  But, Wow - I do appreciate your honesty!  Very laudable, that.  I gotta think about how to handle this in the list of results...

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #32 on: June 16, 2009, 05:38:29 PM
KO

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2009, 05:38:29 PM »

Even if he didn't make the mistake, he still would've crushed the record.  But then again, cutting course is course and it's everyone's responsibility to study and know the route per the rules.  I feel for you, Owen.

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #33 on: June 16, 2009, 09:34:22 PM
riverfever

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2009, 09:34:22 PM »

I raise my glass to you Owen. See ya on the 2nd.

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #34 on: June 18, 2009, 06:22:59 PM
cat morrison

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2009, 06:22:59 PM »

I just wanted to extend a huge personal thank you to all the TD organizers for doing this!!  So cool.

CTR racers won't be required to use a SPOT, but it is strongly suggested, sort of like the start time...  I will certainly be carrying one.  If everyone has one, it keeps the race fair and removes the need for call-ins.  To get a head start, anyone who wants one, please email me or PM me and I'll coordinate with the TD folks to get 'em lined up.   'Course, there may be some TDers that also intend to do the CTR and can just keep the ones they have.  That's just plain nuts!  TD + CTR in the same year...   notworthy
Just wanted to let folks know who didn't already that you can get spot trackers for a deal right now.  REI has them for a mail in free rebate if you purchase the year $159 deal with 911 and search and rescue.  You basically get the spot tracker device for free if you buy the service!

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #35 on: June 21, 2009, 09:58:30 PM
walkre73

7/4/08 Tour Divide sunrise outside Salida , Colora

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2009, 09:58:30 PM »

Stephan Hello again , I once more would like to lend my spot device to the cause . I do not have your info to send the unit but will be glad to do so anytime .

Cheers , Andy headbang

Only those that attempt the absurd may achieve the impossible !

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #36 on: June 25, 2009, 06:04:20 AM
AlexMayer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2009, 06:04:20 AM »

Hello from Germany,

this thread is possibly the best source for the latest colorado trail informations. I am not planning to do the race but start a self supported do-it-all of the CT with my wife on August 1st - just one day before. So you might see us when you catch us...........:-))

What are the normal weather and temperature conditions in August? O.k. - thunderstorms and snow fall are allways possible and need to be looked at. But what is a typical average week? Is there a risk of multi-day no-go situations or is this more unlikely to happen?

We are pretty used to rough rocky trails with lots of elevation. Does the CT also have long deep sand sections that would force us to shorten the stages?

Thanks in advance and looking forward to see you on the CT! Regards from Munich / Germany

Heidi & Alex

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #37 on: June 25, 2009, 08:54:01 AM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2009, 08:54:01 AM »

The CT is mostly between 9k' and 11k' in altitude.  While the extremes can be 20F and snow (especially above 12k'), a typical week in August will have pleasant daytime temps of 60F, crisp mornings of 40F, and frequent afternoon thunderstorms.  There can be an occasional 2-3 days of constant rain, but this is rare.  There's a saying that goes, "If you don't like the weather in Colorado, wait 20 minutes."

Expect rough and rocky trials with lots of elevation and some hiking.  Some of the CT is very smooth and swoopy, but hardly any of it is flat.    You'll be going either up or down the whole time.  Fortunately, there is hardly any sand to speak of, and when wet, I can't think of any clay sections that will render your bike unrideable like there are on the Grand Loop.

Sounds all rosy and ideal doesn't it!  But beware, if you get caught unprepared high on the CT, you can get into a bad and desperate situation in a hurry.  Good luck on your trip!

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #38 on: June 25, 2009, 09:49:42 AM
AlexMayer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2009, 09:49:42 AM »

Hi Stefan,

this is what I was looking forward to hear. We´ve been cycling most of the european Alps. So alpine weather conditions and high altitude (o.k - mostly up to 9k) we are used to. In case somebody is planning a trip to Europe - let me know. My be I can pay back for the advise you are giving. Thanks and all the best for your race, regards

Alex

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #39 on: June 27, 2009, 03:01:20 PM
KPut

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2009, 03:01:20 PM »

I'm already looking forward to watching the spots move accross the state and hearing the stories.  Can't wait and good luck to all riders.
  Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: