Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection on: May 12, 2009, 01:07:16 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« on: May 12, 2009, 01:07:16 PM »

Firstly, thanks everyone for voting and chiming in with opinions and stories.  There has been an intense amount of interest and opinions regarding all of the choices, both among CTR veterans and riders planning their first CTR for this year.  The voting was surprisingly even, and this has been a tough decision that I have not taken lightly.  The final call is...

• Ride to Bailey + US285
  • Ride Segment 7 up, over, and down to Copper Mtn.
  • Ride/Hike Coney Summit and Cataract Ridge Reroute (segments 22 and 23)

The CTR Page has been updated accordingly.

This course has about 5000' more climbing, but 60 miles less riding.  Timewise, I think it is almost a wash!  Of course, even more depends on the weather now.  If anything, I think the voting/poll thread has made people more aware and cautious of the potential conditions that can exist above treeline, and that is only a good thing!  Evaluating the weather before embarking on Segments 22 and 23 will be a key decision for this year's racers.  Those two segments total 33 miles, 29 of which are above 12,000' and some are even higher than 13,000'.

Also, since the old route was established for 2 years and has records associated with it, I will be preserving those records, and anyone wishing to challenge that route instead of the new route is, of course, welcome to do so at anytime.

Additionally, this year call-ins will be optional for those people carrying SPOT trackers.

And finally, I would like to say a few words on "Treading Lightly" and setting a precedent for future racers.  This is mostly common sense, and even though I risk incurring the ire of others, I think it is important enough to reiterate. 

#1 - Littering is obviously not allowed.  It is illegal and unsightly.  However, what constitutes littering?  Obviously food wrappers etc., but also broken bike parts or stashed gear.  If something breaks, you have to carry it with you until you can dispose of it properly.  That means in a dumpster somewhere.  If you want to abandon gear, you must either mail it home to yourself from a PO, or throw it in a dumpster.  No leaving it alongside the trail somewhere to pickup later.  Human waste you are not expected to pack out, but please go way off trail, stay at least 100' from a water source, and bury it!

#2 - Fires and tearing down tree limbs for sleeping.  Obviously, both of these cause impact and should be avoided if possible.  If you do find yourself needing to build a fire, ensure it is in an adequate fire ring or established fire pit, and also be aware of any fire bans/restrictions in that area.

#3 - Inadvertently cutting the course.  It is your responsibility to study and know the CTR course.  The race is not policed (although I suppose SPOT data does serve that purpose to some degree), and your following of the course and reporting your time is based completely on the honor system.  The last thing I want to hear about (or see first hand) are racer's tracks that miss sections of the course.

So, in a nutshell, try to imagine a hundred or more people coming after you and doing this race, and what would happen if every single person made the exact same decision(s) as you.  What sort of impact would that cause?  That's a good hypothetical question to help resolve any choices you find yourself faced with during the race.

See ya'll on August 2nd @ 6am! 

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
  -- frequently (mis)attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 04:29:15 PM
TimG!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 04:29:15 PM »

Thank you for all your time spent with this, it is much appreciated.

Wow I didn't see the 285 segment coming but over all I think it's better this new way.  The Ten-Mile segment is awesome, pretty steep but really nice when you're on top.  Serious consideration about the Cataract Ridge section makes me second guess attempting this on a fixed gear but we'll see.

Let the obsessing begin!

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 08:02:41 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 08:02:41 PM »

Well, now we know whip2

……I am gona miss that soft bed in Frisco sad2

it's already on the brain..........

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 09:06:46 PM
DaNM

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 09:06:46 PM »

Good job Stefan, this is exactly what I thought would happen. Cutting out Terryall keeps the timeframe in tact for the working class. The  Sundae afternoon at Kenosha will have an impact{mental}, tho.
 The Coney stuff is the wild card. The wimp option {detour} should be there and allow for a respectable and recorded finish. We should have an option for preserving the trail and staying alive in rain, lightning. to  make the call at the time would soften the "race".
 A funny picture comes to mind from the CT guidebook, a lady walking on the side of the trail on the grass, it`s easier.  I keep thinking too that a more classic mountain bike route could be had with much more better singletrack, everyone wants more gnar, we could probably come up with something. 

EDIt, spelling.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 05:37:45 PM by DaNM » Logged

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 02:14:38 AM
KO

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 02:14:38 AM »

Excellent Stephan.  This is the decision I was hoping for.  Did an out and back 5/13 on segments 2 & 3.  Now just counting the days for my actual trip.

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 09:59:49 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 09:59:49 PM »

Alrighty then!  I'll triple my offerings to the thunder gods in the coming months.

I assume this decision means, necessarily, that you are in, Stefan?  Sweet.

Agreed on all Tread Lightly bullet points!

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 01:34:58 PM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 01:34:58 PM »

Sweet!  Can't wait....  i think I'll have enough time to rest up before the brian head stage race....

ummm i remember doing that brek-copper segment a few yrs ago and it taking 5-6 hours

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 03:58:42 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 03:58:42 PM »

Yep, I'm in this year.  That was really the turning point of the decision since the voting was so close.   icon_silent

5-6 hours sounds about right for the Copper to Breck Segment.  Maybe 4 if you are unloaded and working hard.  12 miles and 3600' for that part!

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 07:38:21 PM
bearcreek

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 07:38:21 PM »

The 7th edition "Revised " guidebook has been out since last summer and it has the Cataract ridge data.  Ditto for the "Colorado Trail Map Book".  The Data book has been revised and is at the printer.  Should be available by mid summer and in time for the race.

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 11:03:13 AM
cat morrison

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 11:03:13 AM »

Hi Stefan,

I'm starting the CTR this year as well and was wondering if you could answer a question or two for me.  First off this spot tracker is a bit foreign to me....do I need one?  I noticed last year people borrowed them?  Also because I am attempting this for the first time and am studying maps, books, and the actual route, I also feel like I need to use a GPS since I am navigationally challenged.  Do you have a GPS you would recommend?  I don't need anything with hr monitor, speed/cadence, just for navigation.  Thank you and thanks for all the work you've done.

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 12:53:41 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 12:53:41 PM »

Cat,

Pretty sure Stefan is in Hawaii right now.   glasses2

I cannot say for certain yet, but the intention is that there will be spot units available for CTR racers to borrow for the race.  Those that already have them?  Great.  But if you don't and want to be tracked, no need to get one just yet.  We will know more about this (the Tour Divide demo fleet right now, for lack of a better name) in a week or so.

Re: GPS.  There are a few threads on this site about GPS useful for this kind of thing.

See some reviews here:

http://www.bikepacking.net/category/reviews/gps-navigation/

I recommend the VistaHCx as a good one to start with.  Geoman (http://geomangear.com> is a fellow MTBer, heck of a guy and thus a good guy to buy from.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 12:03:51 AM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 12:03:51 AM »

Hi Stefan,

I'm starting the CTR this year as well and was wondering if you could answer a question or two for me.  First off this spot tracker is a bit foreign to me....do I need one?  I noticed last year people borrowed them?  Also because I am attempting this for the first time and am studying maps, books, and the actual route, I also feel like I need to use a GPS since I am navigationally challenged.  Do you have a GPS you would recommend?  I don't need anything with hr monitor, speed/cadence, just for navigation.  Thank you and thanks for all the work you've done.

CTR is one that you can get away without having a gps however if your thinking of some other events down the road.....?

good to see yah on here cat!

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 08:24:23 PM
geoman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 08:24:23 PM »

Cat,

See some reviews here:

http://www.bikepacking.net/category/reviews/gps-navigation/

I recommend the VistaHCx as a good one to start with.  Geoman (http://geomangear.com> is a fellow MTBer, heck of a guy and thus a good guy to buy from.

I agree that the Vista HCx is an excellent handheld for newbies. I also agree on Scott's assessment of GeoMan... Hehe.

Thanks for the mention, we sincerely appreciate it.

GeoMan
www.geomangear.com

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 10:21:28 PM
DaNM

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 10:21:28 PM »

So I`m checking out the map through Bailey and I see only 1 mile of of highway is necessary. In an attempt to redeem myself from the winpification I posted above I call for more dirt. Someone else would`of added this bonus single track if I didnt, glad I saw it.
 Bill Tyler Gulch edges the wilderness plus the seven miles of single track should be had.   icon_biggrin thumbsup glasses2 nono sign13 BangHead angry4 sleepy1 icon_scratch headbang sad2

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 08:59:29 AM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 08:59:29 AM »

So I`m checking out the map through Bailey and I see only 1 mile of of highway is necessary. In an attempt to redeem myself from the winpification I posted above I call for more dirt. Someone else would`of added this bonus single track if I didnt, glad I saw it.
 Bill Tyler Gulch edges the wilderness plus the seven miles of single track should be had.   icon_biggrin thumbsup glasses2 nono sign13 BangHead angry4 sleepy1 icon_scratch headbang sad2

Sick!  This is unknown trail to me, so I'll look into it.  Send me any more info you have!

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 10:05:46 AM
timroz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 10:05:46 AM »

From the USDA website:

"This popular trail is named for Ben Tyler, who lived with his family in the gulch that bears his name. He operated a lumber mill during gold rush days, hauling the sawed timber over the ridge and into Fairplay. In 1903 a 3,000 acre fire burned up and out the end of Ben Tyler Gulch and is responsible for the huge aspen grove dominating the valley.

Major attractions include the numerous and colorful wildflowers in late spring and early summer. The trail also offers spectacular views to the north and south from its high point, and the changing colors in September, particularly in the large aspen groves in Ben Tyler Gulch, are outstanding. Because the trail is almost entirely in designated wilderness except for about a mile at each end, Wilderness regulations apply."

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/recreation/trails/spk_spl_ben_tyler_trail.shtml

The Topofusion map shows this trail skirting the West side of the wilderness, however, according to wilderness.net "14,700 additional acres were later added to the west end of the Wilderness under the Colorado Wilderness Act of 1993."

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 10:23:04 AM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 10:23:04 AM »

Sick!  This is unknown trail to me, so I'll look into it.  Send me any more info you have!

Sick is right, about 3500 feet elevation gain in 4.3 miles, I rode this trail years ago, do not care to do it again, especially with a full pack load, first mile or so of the climb is ridable, then its basically hike-a-bike, I have never done the descent down to the CT on the other side so can not comment on that section.

On the other hand, you can avoid most of the pave by using the dirt road from Bailey to Shawnee and then just a short section of 285 to reach the TH.  And the 7 miles of CT ST on the other side is nice...............

If I get some time I might go do a scout ride and see if the climb is as steep/hike-a-bike as I remember, also see the descent to the CT.

""Oh, never mind per above Wilderness info post..........""
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 10:27:02 AM by trail717 » Logged

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 12:25:05 PM
timroz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 12:25:05 PM »

Yeah - I was all excited to go check it out, especially if it was a way to avoid 285.  Bummer.

So I need to get to Bailey to check out the food situation.

Does anyone want to overnight Waterton to Bailey to Waterton 6/12 starting at about 6 PM? 

I'm thinking ride to near Wellington Lake Road (or as long as I can stay awake), camp there, hit Bailey in the AM Saturday, head back, drink a beer.

Tim

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 03:19:09 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 03:19:09 PM »

Hey everyone.  Please have a look at these fantastic maps that Jerry Brown put together on the new Cataract Ridge segment.  Also, please note the request to HIKE, NOT RIDE a very specific, tiny piece of this trail that was the source of a big struggle getting this segment opened to bikes. 

http://www.bearcreeksurvey.com/CTRMaps.htm

We CTR'ers probably have more visibility than other thru-hikers or thru-bikers, so it is very important that we are seen as stewards of the Colorado Trail, and respectful of all the guidelines laid out thereof for using the CT.  I know you probably get tired of me reiterating this over and over, but expect it at least one more time at the start of the race!

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 09:55:44 AM
Beardog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 09:55:44 AM »

I am thrilled with the changes and more altitude rather than road detours-can't wait to get started.

I am also new to the CTR this year and had a similar question to the one posted earlier re-borrowing a spot tracker. Is this still possible or do we need to buy one somewhere? If we can borrow it what do we need to do to arrange it? Will folks be able to track our progress on the net or some other way? Sorry for the naive questions. Thanks,

DavidG

Beardog
  Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: