Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #40 on: June 30, 2009, 11:20:41 AM
Kemler

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2009, 11:20:41 AM »

Hello everyone, I am also new to the CTR and I am excited to be a part of it this year.  I am hoping my research and planning will pay off.  I also hope my knees will hold out!  I am kind of wishing I would have bought a lighter bike though (bought it before I decided to do the CTR).  I look forward to seeing you all there.  I just hope that the call in line will remian open for the extra time it will take me to finish!  BangHead  sad3
Oh, question. I will stay tuned here, but Is there a meeting time/place before the start of the race to get any last minute info?
See you all then.

Jeff

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #41 on: June 30, 2009, 12:25:26 PM
riverfever

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2009, 12:25:26 PM »

There is typically a pre-race meeting to go over SPOT units and all detours to make sure everyone is cool. Last year we met at a deli just down from Waterton Canyon but we also started at noon. With the 0600 start we might be doing a meeting in the lot but I'm sure Stefan will chime in and speak to that.

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #42 on: June 30, 2009, 01:16:25 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2009, 01:16:25 PM »

I plan on getting to the TH lot around 5ish for last minute questions and handing out SPOTs.  Hopefully we can handle most of the prerace stuff online.  I'd also be up for dinner / beers on Saturday evening somewhere if there is any interest. 

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
  -- frequently (mis)attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #43 on: July 01, 2009, 09:13:15 PM
ramstrong1

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2009, 09:13:15 PM »

thumbsup
I'd be up for something Saturday night if anyone else is into it!  I would love a chance to go over the detours and ask some questions of the vets!  Knowledge is POWER!  PS.....If any racers are needing parts, packs, racks and so forth, I have a little bike repair business and would gladly extend PRO DEAL prices(cost +10%).  My wholesaler is www.bti-usa.com and if I can save anyone a little money I would be glad to do it! I would just need payment prior to order so I don't go upside down on anything-------------margins are pretty narrow!

call 970-988-1206

Tom

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #44 on: July 02, 2009, 06:58:38 AM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2009, 06:58:38 AM »

I plan on getting to the TH lot around 5ish for last minute questions and handing out SPOTs.  Hopefully we can handle most of the prerace stuff online.  I'd also be up for dinner / beers on Saturday evening somewhere if there is any interest. 

I'd be down... suggestions?    Super excited to do it this year...  glad to be playing sweep again  Smiley

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #45 on: July 05, 2009, 07:46:26 PM
jonesy792

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2009, 07:46:26 PM »

so I've just finished my partial ITT of the CTR route (I realize theres no such thing) I figured you guys would like an update of the course.  I left wheat ridge wednesday and rode 30 miles to the TH once on the trail I realized that there was much more climbing than I had originally expected.  Section 1 was good, section 2 is exposed burn country with water only available at the stream at the TH and at the fire house near section 3.  I had a some knee issues (seatpost too high) so I set up early camp 2 miles into section 3.

thursday: made it to bailey and resupplied, ran into some weather on the 285 and set up camp a few miles into section 6.  Weathered a decent storm that night.

friday: rode section  6, weather was on and off all day long (rain starts poncho on, rain stops ponco off, repeat many times) this was also the first serious climbing section it would have really helped to have brought my climbing legs so lots of hike-a-bike for me.  Rode into breck (no real hotels) and took the bus to Frisco to look for a motel (I was tired, it was raining it felt right).  Found a motel room ate some convinience store food and hit the sack.

saturday:  woke up at 3 puking and lived in the bathroom until 6.  Finnaly got a reprieve and rode to the hospital.  Turns out I got food posoning (thanks convienience store!).  2 liters of IV and some meds later I tried to hunt down some prescriptions and apple sauce.  The only pharmacy open on the 4th was in breck and the busses took forever.

sunday:  so another night in Frisco felt a little better and decided to tackle 10 mile range.  The first 2-3 miles were fairly ridable but once the real climbing started it quickly turned into some serious climb-a-bike especially on the sections with snow still on them (you know its bad when hikers blow by you).  Then, when I was at 12'000 ft and still on the east face of the range I got hit by the mother of all storms (hail, freezing rain, crazy winds, lighting, zero visibility, you name it it was there).  Definately the scariest experience of my life, pushing a metal bike (with metal cleats), completely exposed on top of a mountain with lightning all around me, couldn't feel any of my extremities, and almost lost the trail several times.  When I finally made it to Copper I decide I was done so I rode to leadville (managed to hitch a ride partway) and I'm now in a motel room looking forward to some easy road riding back to Denver.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 07:31:40 AM by jonesy792 » Logged

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #46 on: July 07, 2009, 02:53:14 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2009, 02:53:14 PM »

Then, when I was at 12'000 ft and still on the west face of the range I got hit by the mother of all storms (hail, freezing rain, crazy winds, lighting, zero visibility, you name it it was there).  Definately the scariest experience of my life

Whoa, thanks for sharing your story!  That ought to give a good dose of perspective to those that take and prepare for the CTR lightly!  Lucky for you, you got that experience with Copper Mtn. on one side and Frisco on the other - not too far from safety and civilization.  Other parts of the CTR are a bit further out...

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #47 on: July 12, 2009, 12:50:36 PM
ramstrong1

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2009, 12:50:36 PM »

Jonesy! 

Thanks for the trail tale!  Sounds like an epic!  You are helping a lot of us newbies sort out our gear with a story like that!  I just had a great night out on Old Flowers above fort collins and felt totally overloaded so I was in the process of cutting some bad weather stuff..........I may rethink that now!  What were you carrying AND  What would you do differently (bring or leave out)
Great beta!  Better join us August 2nd for the next attempt.

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #48 on: July 12, 2009, 06:51:06 PM
kaparzo

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2009, 06:51:06 PM »

just curious how long SEG 22 and 23 would take a pretty fit bike racer weeny and how much hiking there would be (hiking/riding percentages...?).  i'm planning an ITT-ish type effort, but really don't want to hike for sustained periods of time.  thanks!

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #49 on: July 12, 2009, 07:26:03 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2009, 07:26:03 PM »

just curious how long SEG 22 and 23 would take a pretty fit bike racer weeny and how much hiking there would be (hiking/riding percentages...?).  i'm planning an ITT-ish type effort, but really don't want to hike for sustained periods of time.  thanks!
That's a question we'd all like to know the answer to.  Maybe post it up again 2nd week of August...  :-)

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #50 on: July 13, 2009, 02:27:28 PM
Bral

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2009, 02:27:28 PM »

Rode from Camp Hale to Poncha Springs this weekend to figure out gear including my Epic Designs bags.  Thanks to Eric for making the effort to get them to me on time.  They're brilliant!  Thanks also to Cycles of Life in Leadville for fixing a brake problem as I rode through.  Couple of observations: Rain and hail can really ruin a party so keeping a positive attitude is mandatory to finish the race.  Mosquitoes are out, they help keep the breaks short.  Leaving the Nevegal up front, it saved me more than once, a fully loaded bike can push some dirt around.  Trail south of Twin Lakes is difficult to follow starting with the barb wire fence crossing after the bridge.  I wandered all over the place until the smell of cheeseburgers in Buena Vista got the best of me.  Maybe a GPS would help but I'm not using one.  Hope I find it next time but would love some advice from somebody who knows it.  $15 for a soak at Cottonwood Hot Springs is well worth it.  Segment 14 was slower for me than I anticipated, lots of on-and-off the bike.  All in all it was great fun, looking forward to the real deal.

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #51 on: July 13, 2009, 08:48:45 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2009, 08:48:45 PM »

Once you cross the bridge just get over to the dirt/gravel road and then back up by the lake, proceed to the south shore of the lake, the trail follows along right on the south shore for a ways till it begins to traverse up up up.  South Shore=Trail

corse a gps would........................................

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #52 on: July 13, 2009, 09:04:18 PM
tetontodd

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2009, 09:04:18 PM »

Stefan,

This is Todd Johnson from Jackson Hole, I'm in for the race this year! Can you count me in on one of those spots? I didn't have your email...Thanks! See you maybe Saturday night? Super excited!!! Hope everyone's preperation is going well! Thanks everyone for all the trail updates. It Helps!

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #53 on: July 13, 2009, 09:16:18 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2009, 09:16:18 PM »

Stefan,

This is Todd Johnson from Jackson Hole, I'm in for the race this year! Can you count me in on one of those spots? I didn't have your email...Thanks! See you maybe Saturday night? Super excited!!! Hope everyone's preperation is going well! Thanks everyone for all the trail updates. It Helps!

Todd, gotcha on the list for a SPOT. 

I'd like to communicate via email with everyone who wants a SPOT so please send me an email if that is you:  stefan @ climbingdreams.net.  My email is also listed on the race description webpage, so if you haven't, get your butt over there and read the description of the race course and the rules.  Please!

http://www.climbingdreams.net/ctr

And also reread the numbered points from the first post in this thread!

http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,267.msg2240.html#msg2240

Looking forward to a helluva race this year!

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #54 on: July 13, 2009, 10:30:32 PM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2009, 10:30:32 PM »

I need to figure out some sort of satellite internet uplink so I can watch the race unfold from way up in the Canadian Arctic.  I gotta say I'm more than a bit jealous of all you who will be out there...hopefully I'll join in the fun next year.  Good luck and be safe!

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #55 on: July 14, 2009, 08:49:16 AM
Bral

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2009, 08:49:16 AM »

trail717 thanks for the clarification.  I went down the south shore for awhile but obviously not far enough, thought I was heading out the old trail.  I went back to the gate where I had last seen a CT sign and went straight out the road until I was out in the meadow then wandered around the maze of dirt roads.

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #56 on: July 14, 2009, 01:08:01 PM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2009, 01:08:01 PM »

Hello everyone, So I did some recon this past weekend. Rode the CT from Carson Saddle to Stoney Pass, Cataract Ridge, oh baby!!! Yeah it's also segment 23 I believe. So 15+ miles, one point below 12,000', 11,800'. No easy way off the ridge, the trail goes from good/fresh/buff and fun, like imagine riding at 13,000'!! To rugged, no trail at all just cairns to follow. My advice is to bring your big boy and big girl pants for this one, so much high altitude trail tromping, it is so very gorgeous, beyond description. It took about 5.5 hours to cover that 15+ miles, and we were not going slow. Plus this comes after the Coney's section with plenty of high alttitude trail as well. So I was very impressed by this section of trail, very very beautiful, very little O2, no bail outs, no supply points, potential for lots of lightening, slow slow going. Not an easy one to plan for, peace Jefe

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #57 on: July 14, 2009, 01:16:26 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2009, 01:16:26 PM »

Thanks for the scouting report Jefe!  Good stuff to know.  More detailed study of this segment can be found here:

http://www.bearcreeksurvey.com/CTRMaps.htm

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #58 on: July 14, 2009, 07:36:55 PM
cat morrison

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2009, 07:36:55 PM »

So I was very impressed by this section of trail, very very beautiful, very little O2, no bail outs, no supply points, potential for lots of lightening, slow slow going. Not an easy one to plan for, peace Jefe
Thanks for the info Jefe, although now I'm really "scared".  I don't think you go slow do you?....even more frightening. 

Topic Name: CTR 2009 - Final Route Selection Reply #59 on: July 15, 2009, 05:32:44 AM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2009, 05:32:44 AM »

Thanks for the info Jefe, although now I'm really "scared".  I don't think you go slow do you?....even more frightening. 

Don't be scared!  its gonna be awesome...  super stoked you well be towing the line Cat
  Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: