Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Colorado Trail Race 2022 planning and preparation! on: April 25, 2022, 07:34:50 AM
@brainmart

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2022, 07:34:50 AM »

August! Will it be colder? Drier? I have questions that need answers and I'm not on zucherbook with the boomers. I'll scream at the sky the old-fashioned way thank you. The biggest question at the moment is what nuggets of wisdom are out there from those who have ridden in August. Tarp? Tent? Bivy? or crawl inside a tonton?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 07:38:35 AM by @brainmart » Logged

Topic Name: Colorado Trail Race 2022 planning and preparation! Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 11:16:01 AM
Salubrious

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 11:16:01 AM »

The Colorado monsoons start in June and slowly increase in intensity until about September, dropping off pretty quickly by the middle of that month.

What shelter works for you will have a lot to do with your temperature tolerance, your elevation and how much rain you get. There's a lot of pushing and hard climbs so the shelter weight and overall sleeping kit will affect you one way or the other.

I used an OR Bivy which worked great as all I had to do was find a place that was level. I stayed dry and had no troubles with condensation. 

Topic Name: Colorado Trail Race 2022 planning and preparation! Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 12:42:18 AM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 12:42:18 AM »

I've had better weather in August than I have in July in CO.  But that is a fairly small sample size, and you could easily get a storm front or thunderstorms at either time.  My preference when storms are a possibility is always to bring a tent.  Bivy might be ok, but if I have to wait out a storm I'd 10x rather do it in a tent than my bivy.  YMMV.  I don't think temperatures will be much different. 

You will encounter fewer thru hikers in Aug than in July.  I did my ITT a couple weeks before CTR started and was constantly passing them.  Everyone was cool and had some great conversations with some of them.  Interesting observation was they all seemed to be in their tents by 6pm, and most were still in their tents until 8am or even 9am.  Trail was super quiet outside of "hiker hours."   That was not something I had heard about nor was I expecting.   

Topic Name: Colorado Trail Race 2022 planning and preparation! Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 07:36:46 PM
@brainmart

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 07:36:46 PM »

That's been my experience in colorado too. Used to live up in Estes for a few years. Things seemed to mellow out storm-wise into August but I know that's nothing to bank on. I used an OR Alpine bivy in 2018 on the colorado trail and it worked well, weathered a few storms and stayed dry. I also have a zpack tarp that weighs almost nothing. Going to keep testing them both this summer and make a last-second decision based on the forecast probably...

Topic Name: Colorado Trail Race 2022 planning and preparation! Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 05:59:41 PM
geekonabike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 05:59:41 PM »

Late July - early August in 2015 (a pretty dry year) I got by with a rainfly & a SOL bivy

What don't Kill You, only makes You Smell Stronger

Topic Name: Colorado Trail Race 2022 planning and preparation! Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 09:24:00 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 09:24:00 AM »

It's filling fast but there are still a few spots (about 5) available in the 2022 GD.

Signup link here:

Filled up at 12:20 MDT.  ~6 hours.

ITTs on different dates still available of course!  Email Jefe.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 12:15:10 PM by ScottM » Logged

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Colorado Trail Race 2022 planning and preparation! Reply #6 on: July 15, 2022, 08:01:59 AM
Julie K.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2022, 08:01:59 AM »

Fellow rookie here, wondering the same thing. I am planning an Aug 18 start. The weather almanac for Durango seems to indicate slightly less rain inches in Aug than July, but I'm definitely not counting on that. I invested in a 14 ounce single-walled dyneema tent https://zpacks.com/products/plexsolo-tent, which strikes the balance for me between weight and shelter from storms. It's basically a tarp in tent-shape.

I'm also wondering how people stay safe in the wet (being a CA gal - there ain't no rain here all summer). I plan to keep a set of warm clothes in a dry bag so that I can always get dry and warm in the tent. Definitely hypothermia is in play if we're soaked through. And then there's lightning. What the heck did I sign up for?? haha.

Crawling into a tonton might be a good idea.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 08:13:33 AM by Julie K. » Logged

Topic Name: Colorado Trail Race 2022 planning and preparation! Reply #7 on: August 11, 2022, 09:50:33 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2022, 09:50:33 AM »

FYI for the non facebookers start seems to have moved to the denver audubon nature center just adjacent to the trail head. still 4am start, meet earlier to prep and stuff.

poached my wife's FB to find out.

Yep.  An email should have gone out to everyone registered on TL to this effect as well.  One from Jefe and another with other tracking notes this morning from me.

Last time I checked the Wx it seemed the monsoon tap will be turned back on.... right when the race starts.  There's a short lull in the sky activity right now.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Colorado Trail Race 2022 planning and preparation! Reply #8 on: August 13, 2022, 12:02:33 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2022, 12:02:33 PM »

Speaking of Wx I just added a direct doppler radar layer to the CTR tracker.  Just in time.  Heh Heh.

Some years ago we had one, and then Windy had a rain *forecast* layer, but that went away recently.  I'm decently happy with this one so far, even on mobile.

Topic Name: Colorado Trail Race 2022 planning and preparation! Reply #9 on: August 13, 2022, 03:51:22 PM
phatmike

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2022, 03:51:22 PM »

Speaking of Wx I just added a direct doppler radar layer to the CTR tracker.  Just in time.  Heh Heh.

Some years ago we had one, and then Windy had a rain *forecast* layer, but that went away recently.  I'm decently happy with this one so far, even on mobile.

Ooh, I like it. Thanks Scott!

Topic Name: Colorado Trail Race 2022 planning and preparation! Reply #10 on: August 14, 2022, 09:24:52 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2022, 09:24:52 AM »

They're off to a quick start.  Still sunny skies and on the warm side.

Bikepacking.com did its usual 'rigs of' but this year we've got full profiles of all 10 women in the race, thanks to a brand new website called "The Town Bicycle", check it out:

https://thetownbicycle.com/faces-behind-the-dots-colorado-trail-race-2022

Got dots go!

Topic Name: Colorado Trail Race 2022 planning and preparation! Reply #11 on: August 14, 2022, 09:32:44 AM
phatmike

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2022, 09:32:44 AM »

Love it - looks like some good people leading that  Smiley

Thanks for the link

Topic Name: Colorado Trail Race 2022 planning and preparation! Reply #12 on: August 18, 2022, 04:41:02 PM
taprider

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2022, 04:41:02 PM »

Matt Mustin (one of the riders who shared photos of his bike on bikepacking.com) is shown as finished
Did 14 year old Myca Mustin also finish?
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: