Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Coconino Stage Race 2013 Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 06:25:00 PM
fastmtnbiker33w

Nuclear Sunrise Stitchworks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 06:25:00 PM »

If I did it again.....as a big fun ride, I'd take the road to the top of Bill Williams instead of whacking my way through all the overgrown crap on that fairly lame trail to the top.  The descent is brutal, but it's a good payout.  You won't be missing a thing bypassing that climb.

Topic Name: Coconino Stage Race 2013 Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 03:23:11 PM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 03:23:11 PM »

Re: Water between Verde and Williams?
I've been running thru the GPX track with Google Earth and TopoFusion. It looks like water and food opportunities are nicely spaced, except the section between the Verde River and Williams. Only thing I spotted were a couple of stock tanks. Am I missing something? Secret kegs of cold beer hidden in the pines?
-Barry

Topic Name: Coconino Stage Race 2013 Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 04:29:03 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 04:29:03 PM »

Nope, nothing there.

Day 3 is a tough one, at least you get two stores on day 2, you'll want to get plenty of food before leaving Cottonwood.

Bummer about the Coyote Spring, when they did the scouting trips it had a lid and they would drink from it with out any treating as I recall. Then the lid disappeared and now the word is it's gone bad. The Verde should be good tho, as long as it hasn't rained too much to muddy it up. You can actually check it when you cross the river just before Cottonwood. If it's clear there you should be good to know you can filter or treat at the Perkinsville bridge.

I always liked the climb up Williams for the most part that trail, at least down low, is pretty well graded. Higher up after you cross the road it does get a lot steeper. Not sure how it is now as it's been 3 years since I completed the loop.

Topic Name: Coconino Stage Race 2013 Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 12:07:47 PM
sbear55

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 12:07:47 PM »

Did the loop the last week of September 2012.  We added an extra day and as a result camped on a small plateau about a 1/4-1/2 mile after crossing the Verde.  Be careful of that campsite.....goathead central!!!

We did use a First Need purifier to fill up on water at Coyote Spring.  At the time we laughed about the bird skull in the water.  Only a couple weeks later, when reading stage race reports, were we corrected that the tank was a rat skull!  Needless to say the water was scary but filtered crystal clear and went down with no fuss when we needed it.  I'd say it's still a viable option but be sure to pack a really good filter/purifier!

We made route modifications and shortcuts and are planning a 2014 return to bag the whole thing.

Photographic evidence:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 12:29:30 PM by sbear55 » Logged

Topic Name: Coconino Stage Race 2013 Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 12:26:05 PM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 12:26:05 PM »

Food and Water

Re: Coyote Spring
I read in another thread that there is good water upstream from the tank you are referring to. Anyone else want to comment after checking out the thread below?
http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,1828.msg46773.html#msg46773

Re: Water between Verde and Williams
Lockett Tank/Spring? Lat/Lon per Google Earth below. On private property?
 35° 8'55.76"N
112° 9'3.46"W

Re: Texaco @ I-40
I also read that the Texaco station, where the route crosses I-40, burned down a few months ago. Can I assume the truck stop about 5 miles east has water/food?

Re: Food in Sedona/Cottonwood/Williams
Other than food at the convenience stores, any other recommendations for breakfast/pizza/burros? Or places to avoid like the plague?

Edit: BTW, for rides like this I'll carry a modified GravityWorks filter and have Aquatabs as backup.

-Barry

...snip...
Bummer about the Coyote Spring, when they did the scouting trips it had a lid and they would drink from it with out any treating as I recall. Then the lid disappeared and now the word is it's gone bad. ...snip...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 12:37:21 PM by Yogi the Barry » Logged

Topic Name: Coconino Stage Race 2013 Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 12:41:16 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 12:41:16 PM »

Water above the spring tank makes sense it must be gravity fed.

The Texico was always nice to have the option but not really a necessity just stock up before leaving Williams.

Hog Wild BBQ in Cottonwood is a good stop for grub but extra sandwich didn't go down that well the next day.

Topic Name: Coconino Stage Race 2013 Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 01:34:56 PM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 01:34:56 PM »

Just found this... "PSA:  The Texaco station by the interstate is closed due to a fire.  We found another station close by.  Just past the Texaco turn left on Rt 66 instead of turning right to stay on route.  There is small store with a cafe in about 1/4 mile.

Re: BBQ leftovers - I'm sure they don't age well. I can only add, "burp."

...snip...
The Texico was always nice to have the option but not really a necessity just stock up before leaving Williams.
...snip... extra sandwich didn't go down that well the next day.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 07:46:48 AM by Yogi the Barry » Logged

Topic Name: Coconino Stage Race 2013 Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 03:33:51 PM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 03:33:51 PM »

Start List Update: Looks like about 15-20 starters thus far for start.

Topic Name: Coconino Stage Race 2013 Reply #28 on: September 18, 2013, 08:38:44 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2013, 08:38:44 PM »

Good to see some excitement brewing here for some Coco-mingo-bob (as the route was initially named)!!

I'm 70% in for the stage race at this point.  Have to see how a few more things settle out before I commit.

I'll have SPOT rentals for anyone that would like one, and of course the race will be on Trackleaders, as always.  It's $45 for a SPOT2 for the duration of the race, and $15 to add your own.  Those prices are down a little from last year.

Here's the signup link:

http://trackleaders.com/coconino-signup

Pay with paypal, then fill in the transaction ID in the form below.  Then, you're done.

There are options for ITT/thru ride, if you'd like to be tracked for that.

Course change: I'm looking at adding a shortcut in the Casner Park area (between Mormon Lake and I-17).  An adventure race we tracked out of Flagstaff used a different route that looks to be better.  It'll be a little shorter and should avoid the area where we seem to encounter the most ATV/paintball/moto traffic.  I have pretty good faith it goes through based on the adventure race's track, SPOT data and aerials/topos.  I think it'll be enough of an improvement that it's worth the 'risk', even though I haven't been able to go out and ride it myself.

Otherwise the route will be as shown in the 2011 file on topofusion.com.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Coconino Stage Race 2013 Reply #29 on: September 18, 2013, 08:40:11 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2013, 08:40:11 PM »

If I did it again.....as a big fun ride, I'd take the road to the top of Bill Williams instead of whacking my way through all the overgrown crap on that fairly lame trail to the top.  The descent is brutal, but it's a good payout.  You won't be missing a thing bypassing that climb.

Mayhaps you could bring a derailleur next time?  Smiley

I *love* the singletrack climb up Williams.  But I make high use of my 20x36, or 21x36, or whatever I'm running at the time.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Coconino Stage Race 2013 Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 06:26:31 AM
WyoRacerX

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 06:26:31 AM »

Due to an injury, weather, and insurance claims leading to lack of riding motivation I need to remove my name from the start list.
Cry

Brian Brothers

Topic Name: Coconino Stage Race 2013 Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 09:14:22 PM
JeffD

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 09:14:22 PM »

I am super excited for this event.  I'm coming out from southern California and this will be maybe my 4th time riding in AZ, and first official bikepacking event.  Just signed up for the Trackleaders list, hopefully everything worked.  Looks like some beautiful country to enjoy a few days living off the bike!  Look forward to meeting you all.

Topic Name: Coconino Stage Race 2013 Reply #32 on: September 21, 2013, 09:03:56 AM
Matt Schiff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2013, 09:03:56 AM »

Start List Update: Looks like about 15-20 starters thus far for start.

Is there a viewable start list?

Topic Name: Coconino Stage Race 2013 Reply #33 on: September 21, 2013, 05:17:30 PM
cforsand

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2013, 05:17:30 PM »

I am in the beginning stages of planning whether or not I can do Coconino this year.  I am a rookie and had wanted to do it last year but broke my hip in a training ride here in the Santa Monica Mountains about a month prior to the event and had to sit out last year.

Question: Where is a good / safe bet for parking a vehicle in Flagstaff for the duration of the event?

Topic Name: Coconino Stage Race 2013 Reply #34 on: September 23, 2013, 09:30:08 AM
redrockgirl

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2013, 09:30:08 AM »

If you haven't done the Coco, ya should!
There's a great mix of everything along the way.  Here are some pics and sentiments from year before last...
Have fun!
RedRockChica

http://redrockworld.blogspot.com/2011/10/coconino-250.html

Get Outside!!

Topic Name: Coconino Stage Race 2013 Reply #35 on: September 23, 2013, 06:03:08 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2013, 06:03:08 PM »

Question: Where is a good / safe bet for parking a vehicle in Flagstaff for the duration of the event?

I've parked above, west of The Place, just up the street in the neighborhood.

Topic Name: Coconino Stage Race 2013 Reply #36 on: September 23, 2013, 10:55:23 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2013, 10:55:23 PM »

The closer this event gets the more bummed I am that I can't join in this year. Have fun out there, I'll be watching on Trackleaders.

Here's a boatload of pics from last year, as if you need any more stoke for this!!

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/2012/10/aes-coconino-250.html

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: Coconino Stage Race 2013 Reply #37 on: September 26, 2013, 09:44:14 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2013, 09:44:14 AM »

Okee dokee -- I have 2013 route files, waypoints and cues up:

http://topofusion.com/GPX/CLR/

The course change can be seen in the attached map (cyan - old course, red - new).  It's 3.3 miles shorter and a couple hundred feet less climbing.  Good year for new records!    sign13

However, I have not ridden it, so there could be a surprise or two in there.  I'm certain it goes through based on the "Runaissance man" underground adventure race we tracked earlier this year, but the track might not be exact.  Do your best to stick to it -- it's essentially FR228 all the way through, but there are various sideroads and it looks like a faint double track.  There could also be hike-a-bike right off the bat ( laughing3 oh heavens!)

Just wanted to make things interesting for everyone, you know, because I'm nice that way.

Will be looking for feedback from the veterans.  I'm hopeful it'll be an improvement.

* Casner-reroute.jpg (157.49 KB, 846x639 - viewed 215 times.)

Topic Name: Coconino Stage Race 2013 Reply #38 on: September 26, 2013, 09:48:15 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2013, 09:48:15 AM »

Is there a viewable start list?

I don't think it's public, unfortunately.  Here is what we've got as of today (I have removed those saying they are out):

Aaron Weinsheimer
Barry Ritchey
Craig Nelson
Darrin Permenter
Devon Ambler
Jason Field
Jeff Dambrun
Jeff Ziemski
John Fulton
Josh Smith
Matt field
Matt Schiff
max morris
Mike Vanderberg
Rhys Newman
Russell Ouellett
Scott Morris
Tim Claus

Topic Name: Coconino Stage Race 2013 Reply #39 on: September 26, 2013, 10:36:21 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2013, 10:36:21 AM »

Tracking page is up:  http://trackleaders.com/coconino13

If you'd like to rent a SPOT tracker from us, PLEASE do so by Oct 5th so we know how many units will be needed.  If you have your own, feel free to sign on up to 2 days before race start.

That link, again, is:

http://trackleaders.com/coconino-signup

Couple notes to emphasize, if you have not raced Coco before:

1 - Print out the cue sheets.  They'll help you navigate, plan ahead and also tell you where the stage time starts/ends.
2 - A GPS is even better.  BE SURE TO LOAD THE WAYPOINT FILE, in addition to the track.  There are waypoints for where the stages start and end.

Every year people have trouble finding the first campsite.  Without a GPS, it's not obvious which turnout and viewpoint along Hot Loop is where we camp.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: