Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Coconino 250 Race Thread 2011 Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 03:51:58 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 03:51:58 PM »

So many trails so little time too bad we can't ride them all full time.

I never knew Bill either but if had left behind a chainsaw his trails would be sweet. The climbing side has always been clear. And even the sick of more crowd was still digging it. For some reason they didn't like the rock steps on the down hill, to each their own, and the downed trees killed it. Take out Williams and day 3 gets too easy ha ha.

I got to ride the last part of stage one yesterday with Max Morris. He is hoping to do an ITT of this the next weekend. The section we rode was all good and couple of down trees have been cleared. As we neared Munds Park road I got the idea that maybe you could skip "Sick of More" and head north out of Williams to pick up even more of the AZT. Pick up more miles on faster rolling terrain. Just a couple of more pennies.

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Race Thread 2011 Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 04:27:27 PM
tRoy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 04:27:27 PM »

... skip "Sick of More" and head north out of Williams to pick up even more of the AZT. Pick up more miles on faster rolling terrain...

That is a really good idea Tim.  Heading out of williams through government prairie then Kendrick park to pick up the AZT over by Kendrick park would be beautiful and sweet. It would give the Kachina (San Francisco) Peaks a much better and deserved part of the cocoloop. 

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Race Thread 2011 Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 07:16:14 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 07:16:14 PM »

That is a really good idea Tim.  Heading out of williams through government prairie then Kendrick park to pick up the AZT over by Kendrick park would be beautiful and sweet. It would give the Kachina (San Francisco) Peaks a much better and deserved part of the cocoloop. 

I like this idea too, except that I like the flow of going from road->singletrack (sycamore)->roads->singletrack (wing)->roads->finish singletrack.  It's a good mix, and even Sycamore doesn't last that long.  If there was some singletrack to hit on the way to Kendrick that would be ideal.

Talking to Chad I think we're going to give the new AZT the nod for this year and see how it goes.  We can always axe it next year.  Seems like heading north out of Williams and tying into more AZT will need some recon, if nothing else to find the best roads.

Thanks guys.  Coco is coming right up!  Can't wait.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Race Thread 2011 Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 07:48:18 PM
Dave-W

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 07:48:18 PM »

As far as the comments on Bill Williams Mountain I can agree - I didn't know Bill Williams, he may have been a nice guy, but I've been mountain biking on his mountain and it sucks. Every time I drive by I can't look at it because of the memories I have hike-a-biking up it and down it. There's got to be something better around that area. But if it's on the 250 route I'll do it - I'll just be cussin' Bill's name as usual.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 09:48:39 AM by Chad B » Logged

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Race Thread 2011 Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 08:25:48 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 08:25:48 PM »

Wow, maybe by the time fall rolls around the trail gets cleared.  It's been wide open, or no more than a couple trees down, every time I have been on it.  I guess I've been there in June and July too.  Hmm.  Maybe this winter was just unkind to it.

I'll try to give the FS office a ring tomorrow to ask about any trail clearing.

A bunch of us really enjoy both the climb and descent, and it's an iconic part of the loop, IMO.  I love looking at the top, knowing you're heading there, as you plummet down to the Verde River.  Thanks for the comments on it, for sure.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Race Thread 2011 Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 08:51:11 PM
Foster

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 08:51:11 PM »

Hey Scott

If you need some help for doing some recon in the area let me know I have lots of extra free time right now and I am within 30 minute drive from anywhere on stage 1 and 4.

Eric

Go big or stay home

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Race Thread 2011 Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 09:03:30 PM
RollingStone

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 09:03:30 PM »

Scott, I pushed my SS up and over Bill Williams Mountain about month ago and all trees were cleared (from what I remember).

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Race Thread 2011 Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 10:51:50 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 10:51:50 AM »

Thanks RollingStone, I see that in your report.  Good to know.

SPOT tracking signup is ready.  Here is the link:

http://trackleaders.com/coconino-signup

Adding your own SPOT to the map is $15, and renting a SPOT1 from us (batteries included) is $35.  Paypal preferred, but cash/check is OK too if you're not a paypal fan.  Please send me an email if you want to go that route.

The tracking link will be the same:

http://trackleaders.com/coconino

Last year's will be archives to /coconino10 with this year's replacing it.

New GPX coming.

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Race Thread 2011 Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 08:12:13 PM
Foster

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 08:12:13 PM »

Hey Scott,

Got some info on the end of stage 4 that might be important.  The section cutting across from elden lookout rd to fort valley rd(180) doesn't work out anymore from what I heard yesterday.  Apparently the owners of the undeveloped land that we cut through right there put up a fence so that we can't ride through there anymore.  I'll go check it out to confirm.

Eric

Go big or stay home

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Race Thread 2011 Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 08:49:53 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 08:49:53 PM »

Got some info on the end of stage 4 that might be important.  The section cutting across from elden lookout rd to fort valley rd(180) doesn't work out anymore from what I heard yesterday.  Apparently the owners of the undeveloped land that we cut through right there put up a fence so that we can't ride through there anymore.  I'll go check it out to confirm.

Shoot.  Thanks Eric, do let us know what you find.  I love coasting down that meadow, but am not surprised that it might be blocked.  Not sure if we'd just skip out on Elden Road or maybe Oldham makes sense.  Stage 4 is getting longer...

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Race Thread 2011 Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 09:19:05 PM
Foster

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 09:19:05 PM »

I'll go check it out.  I honestly like riding back into town in the urban trail, its a really nice cruise. 

Just curious, have you ridden Inner Earth? it is just off of the AZ Trail just a little before you intersect Shultz pass road.  That would be a good connector trail for the 180.

Go big or stay home

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Race Thread 2011 Reply #31 on: September 28, 2011, 09:48:53 AM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2011, 09:48:53 AM »

I was rode Bill Williams in early July and there were only a handful of downed trees. Bill Williams is a classic climb, SS or geared, it is one of my favorite parts on the ride.

Those water bars going down the back side (north side) are beautifully placed to make you never get really comfortable, but to enjoy every time you fly off one. I love that techy descent, perfect way to end a long, hot grind from the Verde Valley.

Looking forward to the event!

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Race Thread 2011 Reply #32 on: September 28, 2011, 09:52:40 AM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2011, 09:52:40 AM »

I looked into doing this for a longer loop, even a jaunt to the Grand Canyon and then back. I kinda lick the setup now, but it might be worth some more investigation in the future. I know little of that area and would love a tour anytime Smiley

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Race Thread 2011 Reply #33 on: September 28, 2011, 10:01:46 AM
tRoy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2011, 10:01:46 AM »

Hey Scott, Got some info on the end of stage 4 that might be important.  The section cutting across from elden lookout rd to fort valley rd(180) doesn't work out anymore from what I heard yesterday.  Apparently the owners of the undeveloped land that we cut through right there put up a fence so that we can't ride through there anymore.  I'll go check it out to confirm. Eric
I was there this morning and there was no fence.  Seemed fine.  This area does have a history and with a for sale sign at the end of the cocoloop singletrack it could become problematic in the future.....   There is some issues further down the trail across Quintana Dr. on Elks Lodge trail (aka no trespassing trail), but that is out of the scope of the cocoloop.  

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Race Thread 2011 Reply #34 on: September 28, 2011, 11:01:46 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2011, 11:01:46 AM »

I was there this morning and there was no fence.  Seemed fine.  This area does have a history and with a for sale sign at the end of the cocoloop singletrack it could become problematic in the future.....   There is some issues further down the trail across Quintana Dr. on Elks Lodge trail (aka no trespassing trail), but that is out of the scope of the cocoloop. 

Great.  I really like finishing that way so I guess we will continue to until something changes.  Yep, the no trespassing is why we boogie out at Quintana.

Eric, I have not heard of Inner Earth -- is it new?  Got a track?

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Race Thread 2011 Reply #35 on: September 28, 2011, 02:03:34 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2011, 02:03:34 PM »

2011 GPX is up.

Also new cue sheets and waypoint file.  Here's the link:

http://topofusion.com/GPX/CLR/

Special thanks to Troy Marino for the GPX tracks and special mission recon on FR 9230R this morning, saving us a mile or so of highway riding.

Little Yaeger and Llama changes (as mentioned before) are in, also the new AZT discussed previously.

Route is now 243.3 miles according to the GPX.  Actual mileage may be very close to 250.

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Race Thread 2011 Reply #36 on: September 28, 2011, 04:31:28 PM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2011, 04:31:28 PM »

The only question now is who is making that special run on Day 1 to Munds for the beer? ~2 miles of route for some ice cold, delicious beer...Anyone?

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Race Thread 2011 Reply #37 on: September 28, 2011, 07:11:32 PM
Foster

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2011, 07:11:32 PM »

I'll go get the beer if it results in a minus 2 hour time deduction!  glasses2

Go big or stay home

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Race Thread 2011 Reply #38 on: September 29, 2011, 07:54:36 PM
tRoy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2011, 07:54:36 PM »

Here is NOAA's discussion about next Thursday.

THE FIRST SIGNIFICANT COLD FRONT OF THE SEASON COULD MOVE ACROSS THE
AREA ON THURSDAY USHERING IN COOLER TEMPS AND MORE PRECIPITATION...
AND MAYBE EVEN SOME MOUNTAINTOP SNOW.

I do love snow... but the mud around lake mary and the mormon volcanic field - not so much....

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Race Thread 2011 Reply #39 on: September 29, 2011, 08:11:04 PM
Foster

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2011, 08:11:04 PM »

Here is NOAA's discussion about next Thursday.

THE FIRST SIGNIFICANT COLD FRONT OF THE SEASON COULD MOVE ACROSS THE
AREA ON THURSDAY USHERING IN COOLER TEMPS AND MORE PRECIPITATION...
AND MAYBE EVEN SOME MOUNTAINTOP SNOW.

I do love snow... but the mud around lake mary and the mormon volcanic field - not so much....

Yeah i have also been keeping up on the NOAA forcast discussion, also checking the GFS and ECMWF extended weather model runs.   It will really depend on how the timing of the cold front and if there is enough low level lingering moisture.  It's possible we could dodge a bullet, but even then there will at least be much cooler temps.  Worst case scenario weather model seems to suggest snow around 9500+.

Its still just a little to far out to really know at this point for sure.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 08:16:17 PM by Foster » Logged

Go big or stay home
  Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: