Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Coconino 250 Loop Race 2012 Reply #120 on: October 10, 2012, 04:54:19 PM
KeithG

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2012, 04:54:19 PM »

Hey everybody,

That was fun, that was hard!  I didn't "do" the race per se, but Jackson and I ended up starting roughly the same time as the group that we knew would be out there.  Great to meet everyone out there, I am impressed by everyone's toughness. Wish I would have seen more of you on the last day to say bye, but that is the nature of this event.

Hope to see everyone out in the woods again sooner rather than later!

Keith in TX

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Loop Race 2012 Reply #121 on: October 10, 2012, 06:57:01 PM
AKSharon

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2012, 06:57:01 PM »

Well - the Coconino this year had a bitter sweet ending for me, although we weren't able to finish after about 30ish flats, we were able to bond with some amazing people.  Michael Braun and I completed the Coconino 250 last October and we had an absolute ball doing it all, yes even the push up Mingus, or at least my memory has blocked it out.  I honestly think that all the snowbike pushing we do in the winter up here in Alaska helps us with all the pushing up the mountains in the lower 48, the only difference is the temps down there have a tendancy to be just a wee bit warmer than up here in the winter.

Dave's and my Coconino 2012 ride started out great, having a good time chatting with other racers along the first leg of the race, helping the Texans out as both of their pumps quit working, they think it got so cold in Flagstaff the night before that their pumps just froze up on them as they are used to riding in 100+ temps, they were even a little chilled doing this ride.  It's funny how all of our perspectives are different when it comes to temperatures.  Then - the flat epidemic started, I had a couple flats heading into the first campsite, patched them up and when I got to camp another one happened, so fixed that one at camp.  What a great night at camp chatting with everyone, what a great group of people.  Loved seeing Meade and her father out there riding it as well.

Got up from camp on day two and headed down the Munds Wagon Trail, and got another flat before the Circle K.  Riding the killer red rock country in Sedona is an absoloute treat, until I got a couple more flats in that section.  Before heading into Templeton Trail we headed to Bikes and Bean to get more tubes and to find out what to do about all these flats, they said to just buy more slime tubes and I should be good, so we did.  Well we were good for about 5 miles and then the flats happened again and again and again.  I felt bad for Dave as I know how it feels when someone else has issues with their bikes as last year Michael had I think 7 or 8 flats heading into Cottonwood, while I watched him fix his flats.

Then the flats started for Dave and it was relentless, over and over and over again, we replaced the tubes, patched the tubes with about 30 patches, but they kept going flat, they would hold for about 4 minutes and we would have to stop and pump them up. Several racers came by and offered moral support by telling us those sweet words I will never forget "STANS".   Our only hope was to make it to the bikeshop in Cottonwood before they closed, which we made it but they didn't have any 29nr tubes and only 1 slime tube left for a 26.  It was a pretty intense time at the bikeshop, as we travelled so far to not be able to continue on.  But, we made the best of it and got a nice cushy hotel at the Best Western with Shirley and Rich Wolf from California, we ate some great Mexican food and called it a night.

The next day the bike shop guy gave us a ride back into Flagstaff and we became full on tourists visiting the Indian Ruins and the other national parks in the area.  Monday we got our bikes fixed up and headed up the racetrail in reverse to meet all the racers, but once we got to the top 14 miles in, we stopped to soak in the sun and chat with Jackson, Shirley and Rich and hung out there for over 4 hours, but it was great to see the racers come through and cheer them on.  And of course, those last 14 miles of sweet single-track downhill make you forgot any agony you had throughout the other 250 miles right?Huh?

We met some great people on this ride and congratulations to everyone who showed up to ride.  A big thanks to Scott and Chad again for putting so much effort into putting these great rides together.  The great southwest riding is definately a treat for us Alaskans.

I hope Michael and I have convinced all of you that you need to come up to Alaska for our "Kenai 250" bikepacking adventure that starts on July 5, 2013, the scenery and trails will be a very memorable trip for you all.   Until then, Sharon

« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 09:16:50 PM by AKSharon » Logged

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Loop Race 2012 Reply #122 on: October 10, 2012, 08:38:26 PM
fastmtnbiker33w

Nuclear Sunrise Stitchworks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: October 10, 2012, 08:38:26 PM »

Finally got the blog post finished.

http://fastmtnbiker33w.wordpress.com/2012/10/10/coco-250-ho-hum-another-long-ride/

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Loop Race 2012 Reply #123 on: October 11, 2012, 12:17:37 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: October 11, 2012, 12:17:37 PM »

Change of start location for Oct. 12th ITT'ers!!!

Attn: all ITT'ers for the Coco250 on Oct. 12th (tomorrow!) Due to the inclement weather up on the rim & the severe threat of death mud, we are moving the start down to Sedona.

Please note, we are NOT starting at the designated camping spot for stage 1, we are starting down the hill in Sedona.

I will be starting / stopping my 'race clock' at the Broken Arrow TH just off Morgan Rd. Not sure if we can park right there, but there should be parking available nearby. Personally, I'll be shooting to arrive around 6-6:30ish & get rolling.

Hope to see everyone in Sedona (with raingear).

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Loop Race 2012 Reply #124 on: October 11, 2012, 03:48:47 PM
Foster

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2012, 03:48:47 PM »

This weeks weather is just like last years.  Comes at a great time, cool weather down in the valley and cold on the mountains.  Wish I could join in on the cold fun.  Have fun out there everyone. 

Go big or stay home

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Loop Race 2012 Reply #125 on: October 11, 2012, 07:14:06 PM
kipyoung

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 11, 2012, 07:14:06 PM »

Change of start location for Oct. 12th ITT'ers!!!

Attn: all ITT'ers for the Coco250 on Oct. 12th (tomorrow!) Due to the inclement weather up on the rim & the severe threat of death mud, we are moving the start down to Sedona.

Please note, we are NOT starting at the designated camping spot for stage 1, we are starting down the hill in Sedona.

I will be starting / stopping my 'race clock' at the Broken Arrow TH just off Morgan Rd. Not sure if we can park right there, but there should be parking available nearby. Personally, I'll be shooting to arrive around 6-6:30ish & get rolling.

Hope to see everyone in Sedona (with raingear).

I plan on leaving right at 5 am from Flagstaff. Should get there at 6.  Question, with starting on stage 2, and not ending in Flagstaff, is everyone intending to camp near flagstaff or get a room on Sunday night?  What about in Williams on Saturday night?  My plan is all whacked now... Frickin rain!

Kip Young

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Loop Race 2012 Reply #126 on: October 11, 2012, 07:19:38 PM
Betoman17

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 11, 2012, 07:19:38 PM »

This was my first bikepacking adventure, and I am truly humbled.  I intended to participate in the stage race, however, I preferred to ride with my good friend Dave Wilson from Texas.  We decided to embark on our single-speedies and push for the pain cave (ITT).   Indeed, this was a great challenge and learning experience for future events.  I enjoyed reading all your reports and experiences, mores so very impressed with the 12-year-olds accomplishments and travelers from other States.  Chad and Scott are true ambassadors of the sport, thanks brothers!!  Although, I didn't have the opportunity to meet any of the stage racers and ITTers (was there any one else besides Dave and I? Max, Jon), I hope we cross paths in the near future, AZTR?  Great job to the participants, damn Mingus BangHead  

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Loop Race 2012 Reply #127 on: October 11, 2012, 09:58:22 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: October 11, 2012, 09:58:22 PM »

Kip,
I'm still planning on a room in Williams, but will probably find a place to camp outside of Flagstaff after passing through & grabbing a bite to eat. 2 motel stays just doesn't seem right!!

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Loop Race 2012 Reply #128 on: October 12, 2012, 10:58:33 AM
kipyoung

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 12, 2012, 10:58:33 AM »

Ok, so my race is over before it really began.  I got about 5 miles in and realized I am so underprepared for this route.  Training on gravel and roads in Texas can not prepare you for the technical single track and hike-a-bike of AZ... So my ability to go 60+ miles multiple days in a row in Texas cannot begin to compare with what is needed for the same distance out here.  Now my trip is going to be enjoying some of the more "groomed" trails of the area without venturing to far from my car.  Which also means I don't have to have my gear on bike.  Much props to those that can actually do this ride. I guess I'm just not as tough as a 12 year old girl.  Good luck to John, Steve, Tom and Evan out there now!

Kip Young

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Loop Race 2012 Reply #129 on: October 12, 2012, 07:57:10 PM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 12, 2012, 07:57:10 PM »

Keith is from fort worth.

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Loop Race 2012 Reply #130 on: October 13, 2012, 01:42:18 PM
kipyoung

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 13, 2012, 01:42:18 PM »

I didn't say all Texans Sherpa, just this one.  Bit off more than I could chew.  Smiley

Kip Young

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Loop Race 2012 Reply #131 on: October 14, 2012, 06:51:51 PM
the pedaling arborist

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2012, 06:51:51 PM »

Howdy y'all, I finally put together my pics and tale from my Coco adventure last week.  You can see it here, http://thepedalingarborist.wordpress.com/2012/10/13/coconino-250-october-2012/

I'd have to echo the kudos to Scott, Chad and company for the great track data.  I had planned to print out the cue sheets but instead I forgot and read them once, quickly nono.  Then with just the track and waypoints loaded into my E-trek 20 along with the AZ topo base map and having never been on any of the trails except for the Lime kiln out of Dead-horse state park, I was still able to stay on route or know when I wasn't.  Thanks for the avenue to adventure!

Aleck

PS. Martin I will add the cargo Tandem pics you wanted to see in another post soon.

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Loop Race 2012 Reply #132 on: October 14, 2012, 08:24:38 PM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2012, 08:24:38 PM »

Some great pictures and stories/blog posts! I will probably wait to ITT next year sometime, when I am in better shape.We should have the results ready in a week. Send me or Scott your time if you want to be on the results.

email: chad dot brown at prca dash tucson dot org

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Loop Race 2012 Reply #133 on: October 14, 2012, 09:08:20 PM
kriswilsonbike

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 14, 2012, 09:08:20 PM »

Some great pictures and stories/blog posts! I will probably wait to ITT next year sometime, when I am in better shape.We should have the results ready in a week. Send me or Scott your time if you want to be on the results.

Hi Chad, in regards to results I don't see any results on the AZ Endurance Series website for 2011.  I was thinking of doing the Coco 250 this year but didn't see that any females had ever finished it until I read all the posts from everyone and the post from AKSharon from Alaska that she completed it with Michael in 2011, then I see it posted that Lynda W. finished it this year so at least 2 females have finished the race.  Is there any way to post the 2011 finishers and their times on the AZ Endurance website so other females doing research into doing this race may be more apt to do it seeing that at least 2 females have finished it and is doable.  Thanks and hope to see you next year, Kris.

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Loop Race 2012 Reply #134 on: October 14, 2012, 09:25:16 PM
Foster

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 14, 2012, 09:25:16 PM »

I think the results weren't posted for the 2011 coco 250 because most people didn't complete the entire route mainly due to the storm that year therefore a couple sections were chopped off.  Some of us such as myself and the folks from Alaska did the whole route, but who knows if we even have our times anymore, it was a year ago.

Go big or stay home

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Loop Race 2012 Reply #135 on: October 14, 2012, 10:09:55 PM
kriswilsonbike

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2012, 10:09:55 PM »

Hi Foster, I dug up the info below from the "ultra record" section, so if Sharon and Michael stayed together this would be their time, so it appears that if the 3 of you were the only ones to finish the whole route they would only need your time to post it on their website.  For me personally, as I am sure for other females too, it is nice to see that other women have completed the route and gives us more inspiration to go try it. I hope they can add the 3 of you to their 2011 Coco finishers on their AZ Endurance website.  Congrats to you.

ScottMOctober 14th, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Added new Coconino Loop (Stage Race) record by Sharon Sell – 1:15:22.

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Loop Race 2012 Reply #136 on: October 14, 2012, 11:08:01 PM
Foster

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 14, 2012, 11:08:01 PM »

Cool, glad you found what you were looking for.  I think there might have been one or two others that stayed on course that year but idk if they finished it.  Found my time in an email and my gpx from last years ride.  Wish I could have joined everyone on this years ride, looks like everyone, finish or not had a great time out there. 

Go big or stay home

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Loop Race 2012 Reply #137 on: October 15, 2012, 05:46:39 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 15, 2012, 05:46:39 AM »

may be more apt to do it seeing that at least 2 females have finished it and is doable.  Thanks and hope to see you next year, Kris.

Kris

I rode the loop the first two years. In 2010 I rode some with Sami Corn, she was the first female and she was on her first bikepacking trip and I think they only decided to ride a week or so before coming. She completed day 1 easily, on day two flats got them on Lime Kiln but she made the top of Mingus. It wasn't until day 3 that her group fell behind and missed Williams Mountain. That was the second year and we went from a nearly 50 percent drop out rate, to everyone at least finishing a loop.

I think that with a year of training, some long days on the bike with some hiking mixed in, you'll be fine. It's a hard course for sure and you need to be ready for rough rocky trails but there's a lot of fun stuff along the way.

Tim

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Loop Race 2012 Reply #138 on: October 17, 2012, 08:38:05 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: October 17, 2012, 08:38:05 AM »

Still trying to wrap my head around this route, what an incredible 4 days. Scott & Chad: your routes continue to inspire, challenge, create doubt, but still bring me back for more!! My toes are still tingling, but the quads are coming back to life!!  We had a nice group for the start on the 12th, sure glad we relocated to Sedona for day 1. Kip, it was good to meet you, sorry it didn't work out for you, but I'm sure you found some great trails in the area. Tom, Evan & Steve: great riding with you, I'm sure we'll be on more AES rides in the future. I'll post a full writeup in a few days when I have some time.

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: Coconino 250 Loop Race 2012 Reply #139 on: October 18, 2012, 07:29:30 PM
mikedeber

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2012, 07:29:30 PM »

that ride looks super fun.  Thanks for all the reports thumbsup
  Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: