Pages: 1 [2] 3
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 08:16:51 PM
hunterkeating

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 08:16:51 PM »

Looking for a ride to Flag from the Phoenix area

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 08:29:44 PM
plesurnpain

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 08:29:44 PM »

I may have to consider dragging a few brews along as well...

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #22 on: October 06, 2015, 08:26:33 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2015, 08:26:33 AM »

I believe this is the 3rd year in a row (4th if you count my week delayed start in 2012) when a storm has rolled through the area just before liftoff. I want to say last year had about 24 hours to dry out and that wasn't enough. A few riders took pavement out of Flagstaff, but most of us stayed on the AZT down to Marshall Lake. That's probably the best gauge for how Anderson Mesa will be. There's a section of trail before Marshall Lake that has the same composition of clay as Anderson Mesa, if that section is good then it should be ok. If not, bail to Lake Mary rd. at Marshall Lake. Ray & I HAB'd the AZT through the sticky clay last year leading into Marshall Lake, it wasn't quite wheel stopping, but it wasn't a good situation.

A few riders returned to the AZT at the Lake Mary rd. crossing and reported it was fine to ride. Others jumped in at the next opportunity at FR132. I didn't trust the soil and stuck with the forest road longer than most. Schnebly Hill rd was fine for us last year. With all that said, keep a keen eye on the radar today, specifically south of Flagstaff to the east of Lake Mary, that's the garbage zone. If it doesn't get too much more precip and has 48 hours to dry, it may be doable. Highs are predicted in the upper 60's so that should help too. I'd at least give it a go to Marshall Lake, but then again I'm not riding the Coco this year!!

Good luck out there, soak up the views especially at the Sedona overlook.

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #23 on: October 06, 2015, 08:41:13 AM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2015, 08:41:13 AM »

John,
Thx for the beta. Forecast looks to pound the area north of Sedona today. I was poised to ride... Even shaved my equatorial regions to prep for many hours in the saddle. Think I'm going to stay and play in my own local NM mud and ride with the aspens...
-B
I believe this is the 3rd year in a row ... when a storm has rolled through the area just before liftoff...
Good luck out there, soak up the views especially at the Sedona overlook.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 01:25:43 PM by Yogi the Barry » Logged

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #24 on: October 06, 2015, 09:29:15 AM
cforsand

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2015, 09:29:15 AM »

I experienced some of that extreme mud in 2013 also.  I made the start in Flagstaff but took a wrong turn early on and it took me well into the early afternoon to correct my mistake.  Due to my inability to find the trail in some spots I ended up taking the highway around Mormon lake so I probably missed a lot of the mud. I ended up camping the first night about 4 or so miles short of the ADOT station. I was exhausted and clearly a long way short of the planned day one stop.  I got a very early start Saturday morning after a really cold night. At the ADOT station I spent about an hour unfreezing my front derailleur as the combination of ice cold frozen mud was hard as rock. I did not have further problems with mud on the ride from ADOT into Sedona. In 2013 I bailed at the end of day two. By the time I arrived at brutal hike-a-bike that is the precursor to Lime Kiln trail it was just getting dark and that is when my main source of lighting decided to fail. I could not see navigating Lime Kiln in the dark with no good light so I took the highway into CottonWood.  I had not yet given up but changed my plan to get a hotel in CottonWood and then continue the next day. Sadly I found out that everything in that town was booked solid and I had no good options.  So I bailed and hired a taxi to get me and my bike back to Flagstaff where I could get a hotel. This year I definitely want to skip that mud; however, starting anywhere other than Flagstaff is not really a good option for me.

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #25 on: October 07, 2015, 10:07:57 AM
Buttermilk

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2015, 10:07:57 AM »

any local knowledge regarding the recent rain and condition of the dirt/mud on the first day leaving Flagstaff. It looks like the storms (which looked like lots of rain fell) have moved out and it is set to be good weather for the race, just curious what to expect on day 1. Thanks.

Up & down on dirt & snow
I've got all my eggs in one basket

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #26 on: October 07, 2015, 01:14:20 PM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2015, 01:14:20 PM »

Since I've decided to not ride Coco, due to me being a mud/rain-averse wuss desert rat, thought I'd at least offer up another bit of advice which may or may not be be applicable... but it was when I rode Coco in 2013.
There was [is this year?] a half-mile-ish section of double-track, after Red Rock SP and before Lime Kiln, which was probably the most goathead infested double-track I've ever ridden. Sections of both tracks were almost fully paved in goathead-green. A friend of mine, who met with me in Sedona and rode with me until Cottonwood, and I rode this section together, swapping out leads for who would be the person in front. The leader, assuming the follower could literally follow in his tracks, would get more goatheads. Cheating I guess, a new form of drafting. We got thru this section and immediately stopped to clean the tires.  I had almost two dozen goatheads in the front tire and at least a dozen in the rear. In the days of bike prep before Coco, I had fully dosed the tires with Stan's. My friend didn't have as much Stan's pooled up in his tires and we had to stop a half-dozen times before Cottonwood for him to stop and pump up his not fully sealing tires.
So, consider topping off that sealant before Coco and carry enough gear to have multiple options to deal with tire issues. BTW, I use two scoops [4 oz] of Stan's for a new tire install and 2-3 oz for top-offs.

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #27 on: October 07, 2015, 02:36:17 PM
plesurnpain

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2015, 02:36:17 PM »

I'm basically ready to roll out tomorrow morning for Flagstaff. My travelling partner had to bail which leaves me with a spare bed tomorrow night. If anyone is looking for an inexpensive ($40) room about a block from The Place, let me know. I may be looking to split a room in Williams and again in Flag on monday night.

Let's hope the trails dry out by friday morning!

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #28 on: October 08, 2015, 09:09:34 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2015, 09:09:34 AM »

If I were riding this year, I'd still start in Flagstaff. Y'day was nice, today is sunny & warm - at least down in PHX, but should be a great day up north too. There's a short HAB on the AZT south of Fisher Point as you gain the plateau, right at the top there was a 50' section of mud last year. This will be your first hint of any trouble ahead. The trail gets good again right after this bit, then you'll climb a short rise and enter a clearing. (Easily seen on satellite view) This is the test for Anderson Mesa, there's about 2 miles of trail here before Marshall Lake that has the same potential for death mud. The good news? Of the 2 miles, roughly the last mile has crushed rock poured over the trail so mud isn't an issue. But, you'll know if the ground is dry enough or not by the time you get to the crushed rock.

Bail out to Lake Mary rd. if it is bad & rejoin the AZT where is crosses the road north of Mormon Lake. It'll cut out about 8 miles of trail, but even when dry it's a drag.

Good luck out there, have fun!! It's a great loop, tough, punishing, but oh so awesome.

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #29 on: October 08, 2015, 04:56:21 PM
plesurnpain

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2015, 04:56:21 PM »

I just checked in and have a spare queen bed about 3 blocks from the place. Weather is beautiful and I can't wait for 7 am.

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #30 on: October 08, 2015, 07:04:54 PM
cforsand

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2015, 07:04:54 PM »

I have just arrived in Flagstaff.  Getting ready for tomorrow. May be up for some dinner and a beer.

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #31 on: October 09, 2015, 08:32:36 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2015, 08:32:36 AM »

We should know in a few moments how the conditions are, Chris S. isn't too far from the potential trouble zone north of Marshal Lake. I hope they're able to stay on route this year.

**EDIT: Looks like the trail is dry enough!!  thumbsup
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:55:05 AM by freeskier46 » Logged

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #32 on: October 09, 2015, 08:41:01 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2015, 08:41:01 PM »

Does anyone know what time Ray and Josiah started? From Flag? Together?
Ray pushing one gear?
Get it everyone!

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #33 on: October 11, 2015, 06:13:48 AM
cforsand

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2015, 06:13:48 AM »

I bailed out at Red Rock State Park Visitor Center. My body succombed to complete exhaustion and refused to go on further. It was not my year. Best of luck to everyone still out there.

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #34 on: October 11, 2015, 02:15:27 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2015, 02:15:27 PM »

We should know in a few moments how the conditions are, Chris S. isn't too far from the potential trouble zone north of Marshal Lake. I hope they're able to stay on route this year.

**EDIT: Looks like the trail is dry enough!!  thumbsup

Nice to see that everyone made it through the potential death clay section.  Looks like Coco dealt out many scratches and beatdowns, just the same, though.  Smiley

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #35 on: October 11, 2015, 09:31:45 PM
plesurnpain

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2015, 09:31:45 PM »

I ended up deciding to make a 3 day attempt while at breakfast on Friday. I wrapped it up a couple of hours ago and I have to say that 3 days is really tough. I'll figure out my total time in the next day or so, but kept track of moving time and didn't check at the stage start and stops. It was an amazing ride and really tough. I finished with shoes that were duct taped to my feet and a soft rear tire in the dark. Maybe next time I'll tour...

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #36 on: October 11, 2015, 09:33:31 PM
plesurnpain

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2015, 09:33:31 PM »

Forgot to mention for those of you in Williams that the text I at 40 is alive and well. No need to filter and the end of that gem of a trail know. As sycamore rim.

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #37 on: October 12, 2015, 11:23:24 AM
raybum

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2015, 11:23:24 AM »

the story of our 3 DNF's...
http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/2015/10/a-doctor-and-two-engineers.html

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #38 on: October 13, 2015, 09:25:43 AM
plesurnpain

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2015, 09:25:43 AM »

I made it home and am starting to feel normal again. The 8 hour drive home yesterday was tough. I am going to enjoy this great fall weather and get out for a night ride this evening.
The Coconino 250 was an amazing experience that challenged me both physically and mentally. It was a good stepping stone for the AZTR 300 in April. A few highs and lows along the way...
Highs
The views and riding in Sedona
Lime Kiln
Breakfast in Cottonwood
Descending off Mingus
Riding into Williams
Snickers Ice Cream Bar at the Texaco on I40
Fall colors on AZT
Every sunrise and sunset
Meeting new friends
Lows
Parting ways with Chris at sunset when he went to find his tracker
Route finding in the dark outside Sedona
Mingus
Camping up high night 2
Bill Williams
Sycamore Rim
Descending and route finding in the dark on the moto trails coming into Flagstaff
I did a 3 stage version. I started and stopped my clock when I started and finished riding each day as opposed to the stages.
Day 1 13:14:09 79.6 miles
Day 2 13:56:53 78.7 miles
Day 3 13:47:57 85.8 miles
Total 40:58:59 (I think) 244.1 miles
Thanks for the great route. Maybe I'll race it again, maybe I'll tour it. Either way, I'll be back to Coconino!

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #39 on: October 15, 2015, 03:30:58 PM
mikedeber

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2015, 03:30:58 PM »

Wow, excellent stuff down there in AZ!  I had such a great time all weekend and can't speak highly enough of the stage race format.  It was awesome meeting those of you I was fortunate enough to meet and ride with a bit.

My biggest navigation mistake was going to the WRONG The Place restaurant on the first day.  Didn't realize there were two until after I ordered...

Justin from Tuscon, his first time bikepacking.  I think he's hooked!

Dare I say Anderson Mesa wasn't that bad?!  I also found Limekiln to be rather enjoyable, especially the last couple of miles into town, so fun!  I actually thought all of the descents were really great, Bill Williams may have been my favorite.

My times:

6:25
11:21
10:26
8:05

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: