Pages: [1] 2 3
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th on: August 09, 2015, 06:10:26 AM
abhemet

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2015, 06:10:26 AM »

I seen the thread for 2014. I am currently getting ready for this event. Haven't seen a new thread yet for 2015 October 9th https://rockyroad5050.wordpress.com/5-coconino-250-and-350/ . its about 8 weeks way unless the date changes. So I thought I would get ball rolling. I am in as of right now. Still working on getting the time from work. Either way I would still like to ask some questions. When i signed up for the stage coach 400 there was email and we got updated on information like where to park your car for those days and other information is there something like that or do we find out at the breakfast the day of. Or is there some official type registration process link that I missed somewhere on the above webpage? I am asking because I will be coming from out state. Any other info would be good too. Looking forward to this.

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 10:13:47 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 10:13:47 AM »

Looks like the 9th is it. As I recall posting at the bottom of the page is it. No set parking just up behind The Place where you'll meet for breakfast.

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 10:34:43 AM
abhemet

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 10:34:43 AM »

ok thanks!

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 06:17:34 AM
abhemet

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 06:17:34 AM »

I have been looking at ride reports over years since this has been going on and it looks like fun level 2 being its fun but your going do some suffering. I am really excited about this stage format since most the time you don't see other participants unless they happen to be riding the pace your going or you run into them at resupply point or after you finished event. Also I was wondering about tires from the pics it looks like alot sharp rocks. I usually run snake skin racing ralphs 2.1 on xc type courses. But on normal trail type rides I use maxxis ardents 2.25. Also from most the reports and pics I see people using FS Bikes or hard tails on this course. I currently ride a Salsa fargo 2 which is rigid. For water capacity would 4 liters dromedary bag  and a couple podium bottles be sufficient between resupply points. Anyway I am my work finally approved my time off. Right now I am in the planning stage on a game plan for the route getting the file on my gps planning resupply points what gear to bring and not bring. Logistics of getting from where I live to flagstaff and what its going to cost for this adventure as whole. Getting bike up to par. Also getting a little nervous about going when I do the bikepacking here where I live I have a option of bailing out and my wife is just hours away. Never had to call her but it was a option. This will be true test for me. Anyway enough with my rant. Any info would be helpful.

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 06:52:52 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 06:52:52 AM »

That should be enough water capacity. The big pushes are up Mingus from Cottonwood & down to the Verde. Then from the Verde up to Williams - that's the real water drain. Tons of climbing and it tends to be warm.

Tires are often a hot topic here in AZ as our terrain tends to shred just about anything out there. With that said, a few of the solid choices over the years have been: Maxxis Ardents & Icons, Panaracer Rampages, Specy tires with GRID casing, GEAX Saguaros. By no means is this a comprehensive list, just an observation over the years of the Coco250 & AZTR events.

I've done the Coco twice, both times on my Voodoo HT. There are plenty of times I would have preferred a FS rig, but HT is what I have, so that's what I ride...on everything. That being said, if you have the option for some suspension, you may want to consider it. There's plenty of forest road riding on this route too, it really comes down to personal preference.

If you haven't seen my ride reports, check the link in my sig & scroll down to the archive list: Oct. '14 & Oct. '12 will get you a ton of pics to pour over.

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 02:58:26 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 02:58:26 PM »

I would want the FS if I did this one again. I had it for the first one but not the second and I really noticed the beat down. Maxxis Ardents EXO on the newish 27.5s they seem to be holding up great, I've always been a Rampage fan but they don't do a 27.5 yet. I see Maxxis now has a 2.3 Tomahawk that looks good.

As for the fun level day one may not be that bad but day two can hit level 2 and then put up a wall called Mingus. It won't matter what bike your carrying when you get to that last 1/2 mile. 

Hope the weather holds for you guys, if there is any mud don't go up on Anderson Mesa!

Tim

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 08:52:38 PM
bmattingly

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 08:52:38 PM »

Raining here now.  Monsoon will be over in September.  October normally has sunny nice days and fairly cold nights.  I think the posts above gave great tire recommendations.  Full suspension or hard tail will work.  With good weather you will have a good time.  I think its not a super extreme event like some of the multidays.  As mentioned the Mingus climb is tough and some of it unrideable, hab.  Most of the rest is rideable and you will be rewarded with some sweet singletrack.  The elevation difference between the Verde and up on the rim is several thousand feet so it can be hot in the day on the Verde and super nice on the rim during the day.  There are a few resupply options.

Have fun!

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 09:26:10 PM
mikedeber

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 09:26:10 PM »

I'm in!  Woohoo

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 03:16:34 AM
abhemet

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 03:16:34 AM »

thanks for the replys.

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 10:49:15 AM
Jefftomassetti

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 10:49:15 AM »

I am in! Flying in from Florida. See you all soon. Jeffrey Tomassetti

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 06:17:11 AM
abhemet

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 06:17:11 AM »

When will the tracker be setup for 2015 oct 9th start so we can sign up for it?

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 07:16:30 PM
plesurnpain

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 07:16:30 PM »

I've been wanting to do this for a couple of years now. I'm hoping that everything comes together this year. It looks like I've got the time off work, if only the weather will hold. Really looking forward to this.

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 01:00:34 PM
abhemet

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 01:00:34 PM »

went out this weekend did a little test run for the amount of climbing. went for two days. I feel I am not ready yet for this I thought I was. So I am out.

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 08:15:30 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 08:15:30 AM »

When will the tracker be setup for 2015 oct 9th start so we can sign up for it?

Tracking sign up is ready:

http://trackleaders.com/coconino-signup

If you want to rent a SPOT tracker from us, please sign up for it by October 2nd.  If you're adding your own SPOT, we can add those up to 24 hours before race start.

I won't be racing this year, but I hope to get out and tour the route in the near future.  Such a good route, and much more 'sustainable' than the non-stop events.  Still no walk in the park... that's for sure.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #14 on: September 26, 2015, 08:11:54 AM
Buttermilk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2015, 08:11:54 AM »

two weeks from today I'll be roll'n through some sweet Sedona singletrack! stoked!

looking forward to good grub and riding with some good folks. see ya all at The Place soon.
Jeremy

Up & down on dirt & snow
I've got all my eggs in one basket

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 10:31:00 AM
cforsand

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »

I am in. Returning and hoping to correct my 2013 go the wrong way on the first day mistakes!

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #16 on: October 03, 2015, 02:03:21 PM
cforsand

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2015, 02:03:21 PM »

Does anyone know what the current water situation is at the top of Mingus?

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #17 on: October 03, 2015, 03:17:39 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2015, 03:17:39 PM »

From the Mingus mountain page.
Water:   Mingus Lake is a small lake that is periodically stocked with rainbow trout. So yes there's water up there if you want to filter the lake.
From the campground page.
Facilities
19 trailer/rv electrical hook-ups
11 tent sites
Picnic tables and fire rings
No Water
5 vault toilets
Garbage service 

So no water spigot in the campground yet again. There has been, in the past, pre event, a water spigot in the campground right at the top. Right where you would want it to be, before dropping down to the stage stop. But if they haven't fixed it after all these years I doubt they ever will. One year the Man vs Horse race had a barrel left half way up. So you could have shared with the horses and filtered.

Tim

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 06:01:38 AM
raybum

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 06:01:38 AM »

The last guy I know who filtered from that lake got sick and I've heard it's not the best tasting.  If you take a full load from Cottonwood (100oz plus 3 bottles), you should be able to get to the Verde).  Sucks climbing with all that water weight, but the options are pretty limited. (ie, Coyote Springs on the west side of Mingus). 

Also, Andersen Mesa received 0.44" of rain yesterday...hopefully that's it for this storm so it has a chance to dry over the next several days.

Topic Name: Coconino 2015 Oct. 9th Reply #19 on: October 05, 2015, 04:27:54 PM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2015, 04:27:54 PM »

Even though I've lived and biked in NM for over 25 years, my first time to ever turn the pedals in AZ was for the Coco. That was the year it snowed and rained right before the event [2013?]. There was still leftover snow in the shade on the morning of the start. I was warned about the mud and decided to skirt it and start at the ADOT station on the interstate and make Cottonwood the first day. Quite a few people bailed or postphoned their start a day. My work schedule mandated I start Fri and make the best of it. My plan to avoid the mud was awesome, until I descended a couple of miles, thru frozen tundra, until it got above freezing and I entered the greasy, wheel-stopping zone. Took me about an hour of cussing and scraping for the final mile to the Schnebly overlook. FYI, the small pockets of clay lining the rock depressions along the overlook were filled with the finest of wheel adherent clay. So ironic to experience mud for my first AZ mountain biking. I forgot to mention that I truly hate riding in mud. I know, I know... HTFU, but I live in the desert southwest, give me a break.
So, if anyone can shed some light on developing conditions at Anderson [Swamp, Lake?], please share. I plan on hauling a few extra brews to Schnebly as a reward to those sharing types of folks...

EDIT: Forecast looks like another day [Tues] of considerable rain and showers thru Wed morning for most of the higher terrain. So, that means about 1-1/2 of drying before the start. Any locals want to comment if that is long enough drying to avoid a mudfest?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 06:24:38 AM by Yogi the Barry » Logged
  Pages: [1] 2 3
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: