Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Calling all 2016 Tour Divide Riders! Time for the Cordillera Volume 8 on: July 26, 2016, 05:11:16 PM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« on: July 26, 2016, 05:11:16 PM »

Hi All,

Time for a challenge greater than attempting the Tour Divide---getting Tour Dividers to contribute stories for the Cordillera. Volume 8 – to be published around Thanksgiving—will be on the 2016 race. What a race, with records shattered. Looking forward to the stories.

Why Contribute?

Three reasons:

•   All the revenue goes to the college fund of Linnaea Blumenthal, whose father Dave was killed in an accident just after Bush Mountain Lodge. To date we have raised over $10,000.
•   We’ve a lot of interest in the Tour Divide after Mike Dion’s film and the book feeds this interest. It is a collage of what happens on the Tour Divide and with each year being different records for posterity the race. I can’t wait to read the stories for 2016.
•   For people who want to race the Tour Divide it’s an invaluable resource for what to expect and planning how to deal with broken bikes, broken bodies and broken spirits. Oh, and for the lucky ones...finishing.

What to Contribute?

Two options.

•   The best is to write a story about what you experienced, what you felt, etc.  I’ve attached JD Paul’s story of braking his frame in NM and how he still finished on it, and Mike Arenberg  as examples. Mike’s story is a good example of why your mother told you to wash your hands after toileting—especially if you have leaking Bear Mace around! 
•   Do an interview. I’ve attached a sample interview template with a few questions—as well as Oliver Whalley’s interview after 2012.

In both cases make it personal and share anecdotes. And don’t forget pictures!

What if I didn’t finish?

Welcome to the club. That was me in 2011 and 2012 before finally cracking the beast in 2013.  You still have a story to share so don’t use that as an excuse 

We also have a section for friends/family contributions under ‘Blue Dot Watchers’ so please see if they will contribute.

The Gear Survey

Please complete the online gear survey at:

http://tinyurl.com/juegudp

This forms an annex to the Cordillera and it is always interesting to see how gear is evolving. The link will be active until mid-October.

Where/How Long/When

Please e-mail me your contribution to cordillera@lpcb.org.

If I could have contributions sooner than later it would be great. A good way to pass the recovery time in Istanbul would be editing the Cordillera. The deadline is the end of September. Two reasons. Main one is that I want to get the book finished in time for US Thanksgiving. It’s a great Christmas present. I’m also on a business trip to the Pacific Islands early October so I have time to work on it nights after work rather than having a life riding my bike or spending time with my wife.

If you can use the attached Word Files as templates it would be great. Otherwise send through a document and I’ll do my best to format it. It’s a big job and it’s helpful if you use these files as samples.

Do I Get a Free Copy

Believe it or not, this question comes up. The editor doesn’t even get one! Besides, what you pay goes to a good cause.

We Need Your Help To Find Contributors

Please forward this to any riders of Blue Dot Watchers

Not everyone puts their e-mails down on the Starter’s List so if you know of riders – or people who enjoyed watching the race – please forward this to them.

Thanks in anticipation for your help with keeping this important project alive.

Regards,

Chris

* Cordillera Template.docx (23.9 KB - downloaded 232 times.)
* Cordillera v4 Ollie.doc (489.5 KB - downloaded 209 times.)
* Cordillera v5 JD Pauls.docx (161.8 KB - downloaded 217 times.)
* Cordillera v5 Michael Arenberg.docx (210.28 KB - downloaded 261 times.)
* Cordillera v7 Interview Questions.doc (46.5 KB - downloaded 179 times.)

Topic Name: Calling all 2016 Tour Divide Riders! Time for the Cordillera Volume 8 Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 07:19:45 AM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 07:19:45 AM »

I would be honored to be a part of this!
Thanks for putting it together and helping out a charity, Chris!

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. ― Charles Dickens

Topic Name: Calling all 2016 Tour Divide Riders! Time for the Cordillera Volume 8 Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 06:53:45 PM
taprider

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 06:53:45 PM »

will there be AZTR or CTR versions?

Topic Name: Calling all 2016 Tour Divide Riders! Time for the Cordillera Volume 8 Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 06:58:30 PM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 06:58:30 PM »

will there be AZTR or CTR versions?

Only if someone is crazy enough to agree to be an editor :-)

Topic Name: Calling all 2016 Tour Divide Riders! Time for the Cordillera Volume 8 Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 09:22:11 AM
dp

Health Coach. Hope Dealer. Mountain Bike Junkie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 09:22:11 AM »

And don’t forget pictures!

Chris - as far as photos are concerned, do you want us to insert them into the Word document, or do you want them separate (full resolution), with instructions as to where to insert them?

-dp

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."  - H. G. Wells
www.davidjamesphillips.com
www.davidjamesphillips.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Calling all 2016 Tour Divide Riders! Time for the Cordillera Volume 8 Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 10:27:58 AM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 10:27:58 AM »

In the document is best.

Also, I am looking for a cover photo!

Topic Name: Calling all 2016 Tour Divide Riders! Time for the Cordillera Volume 8 Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 12:18:42 PM
dp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 12:18:42 PM »

In the document is best.

Also, I am looking for a cover photo!

Will include photos in the document.

As far as cover photos go, you might want to reach out to Josh Kato. Avid photographer with a keen eye.

-dp

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."  - H. G. Wells

Topic Name: Calling all 2016 Tour Divide Riders! Time for the Cordillera Volume 8 Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 12:00:39 PM
GregMay

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 12:00:39 PM »

Chris, will hopefully get something together for you over the weekend. If you're looking for anyone to help with copy editing give me a shout.

Greg

Rides bikes, pulls skids...badly.
~
HTR 2013
TDR '16
Baby '17
TDR '18

Topic Name: Calling all 2016 Tour Divide Riders! Time for the Cordillera Volume 8 Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 01:17:29 PM
Mike Honcho

Inspire ordinary people to do extraordinary things

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 01:17:29 PM »

How do I buy previous versions?

Topic Name: Calling all 2016 Tour Divide Riders! Time for the Cordillera Volume 8 Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 01:20:18 PM
dp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 01:20:18 PM »

How do I buy previous versions?

http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/christopher-bennett/the-cordillera-volume-7/paperback/product-22456699.html
http://www.lulu.com/shop/christopher-bennett/the-cordillera-volume-6/paperback/product-21895902.html
http://www.lulu.com/shop/christopher-bennett/the-cordillera-volume-5/paperback/product-21336614.html

You get the idea.

-dp

Topic Name: Calling all 2016 Tour Divide Riders! Time for the Cordillera Volume 8 Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 04:45:26 AM
GregMay

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 04:45:26 AM »

In case you've not heard:

Book 8 is out - http://www.lulu.com/shop/christopher-bennett/the-cordillera-volume-8/paperback/product-23042874.html

Greg

Rides bikes, pulls skids...badly.
~
HTR 2013
TDR '16
Baby '17
TDR '18

Topic Name: Calling all 2016 Tour Divide Riders! Time for the Cordillera Volume 8 Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 12:03:05 PM
jonsagara

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 12:03:05 PM »

Ordered. Thank you, Chris Bennett and all contributors.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: