Pages: 1 2 [3]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: California Sierra Trail Race CSTR 2017 Reply #40 on: July 18, 2017, 04:02:13 AM
maettu99

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2017, 04:02:13 AM »

The race is running.

What happens to Sean? Is the Donner Lake so beautiful? ;-)

Does anyone have current information on the snow conditions on the track?

We will start ITT in Bikepacking mode on Saturday...

Bikepacking trips (in german): http://mat-sa.ch/
AZT Trip (in german): http://mat-sa.ch/AZT/

Topic Name: California Sierra Trail Race CSTR 2017 Reply #41 on: July 18, 2017, 05:10:58 AM
phillip

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2017, 05:10:58 AM »

Snow at Tahoe meadows and lots more from start lake to freel pass.

Topic Name: California Sierra Trail Race CSTR 2017 Reply #42 on: July 18, 2017, 05:11:36 AM
phillip

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2017, 05:11:36 AM »

That is Starr lake.

Topic Name: California Sierra Trail Race CSTR 2017 Reply #43 on: July 18, 2017, 06:13:30 AM
maettu99

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2017, 06:13:30 AM »

Thanks Phillip, is there a lot of HAB because of the snow?

Snow at Tahoe meadows and lots more from start lake to freel pass.

Topic Name: California Sierra Trail Race CSTR 2017 Reply #44 on: July 18, 2017, 08:54:52 AM
Sean Allan

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2017, 08:54:52 AM »

Mat,
I think that Phillip is spot on and you'll likely see just a bit less snow than the racers have. Those are the two highest sections and snow will probably be there for another month. There will be some snow in areas Phillip hasn't been into yet, but just north facing drifts.  There will be trees down all over the course, most of the course has really only been open for a month now due to the brutal winter we had and trailwork crews are just now starting to get some work done. Many areas are user maintained so no formal trailwork. You'll be fine, it's still in good shape for the majority of the route.

The racers all look great. Josh is very strong and has done some extra mileage by coming down into Truckee the first night. Sara and Phillip look to be riding back and forth together. They are both strong riders and know the pace they need to keep to finish. I predict all racers will finish this year, a first and hopefully due to the easier first day, which still included 15,000' of climbing in the first 100 miles. As for me, I only rode on Friday till about 5. I have too much work going on and the only way I could start with the group was to work Saturday to make up for Friday. Had a great time, though I'm getting tired of only doing the hard sections.....

Topic Name: California Sierra Trail Race CSTR 2017 Reply #45 on: July 18, 2017, 10:01:03 AM
maettu99

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2017, 10:01:03 AM »

Ok, thanks a lot Sean for your detailed report.
We will see how it looks when we are there.
You will see us on Trackleaders too and maybee you will find time to visit us out there and ride the nice part of the route! 😉

Mat,
I think that Phillip is spot on and you'll likely see just a bit less snow than the racers have. Those are the two highest sections and snow will probably be there for another month. There will be some snow in areas Phillip hasn't been into yet, but just north facing drifts.  There will be trees down all over the course, most of the course has really only been open for a month now due to the brutal winter we had and trailwork crews are just now starting to get some work done. Many areas are user maintained so no formal trailwork. You'll be fine, it's still in good shape for the majority of the route.

The racers all look great. Josh is very strong and has done some extra mileage by coming down into Truckee the first night. Sara and Phillip look to be riding back and forth together. They are both strong riders and know the pace they need to keep to finish. I predict all racers will finish this year, a first and hopefully due to the easier first day, which still included 15,000' of climbing in the first 100 miles. As for me, I only rode on Friday till about 5. I have too much work going on and the only way I could start with the group was to work Saturday to make up for Friday. Had a great time, though I'm getting tired of only doing the hard sections.....

Topic Name: California Sierra Trail Race CSTR 2017 Reply #46 on: July 19, 2017, 10:44:05 PM
maettu99

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2017, 10:44:05 PM »

Wow! Josh Bruhn finished the CSTR in 5 days and 9 hours. Congratulations, very well done!  headbang

Josh posted very nice and sometimes a little less nice pictures of his journey on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/bruhn13

Topic Name: California Sierra Trail Race CSTR 2017 Reply #47 on: July 25, 2017, 10:11:31 AM
Sean Allan

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2017, 10:11:31 AM »

Everyone finished up strong this year. Congratulations to all, it was a really tough year conditions wise and the fact that they all finished is a testament to their strength and determination. Well done!!!

That's a wrap for this year and also for the race as this will be the last running of it. If anyone wants the GPX file you should get it pretty quickly as I'll be taking the website down in a week or so. Thanks to everyone who toed the line for this adventure.

Topic Name: California Sierra Trail Race CSTR 2017 Reply #48 on: July 25, 2017, 10:51:14 AM
sashax

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2017, 10:51:14 AM »

Ah, bummer, Sean. Sorry I never got my shit together to ride this. Guess I'm gonna have to figure out a new aspiration for next year.

Thanks for your work on this race, though!

Topic Name: California Sierra Trail Race CSTR 2017 Reply #49 on: September 27, 2021, 09:35:09 PM
DjFlex

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2021, 09:35:09 PM »

I'm going to do some scouting this weekend and make a call as to whether we do it on the current date or push it out a month. I also have a route that heads from Auburn to Graeagle, Downieville and Nevada City before returning to Auburn. We have to be able to get out Foresthill Road to Soda Springs for that one as well so we'll see how it goes the next couple of weeks. Raining here in Foresthill today.......
Sean, nice to e-meet you. First off, you are a legend for putting together the CSTR. Thank you for all of your time and effort on this. I?ve stumbled upon the treasure troves of knowledge you and everyone has shared on this forum. Alas, looks like I?m 4+ years too late in discovering this but I?ve found the GPX files so will possibly attempt next year.

You speak of a route that heads from Auburn to Greagle, Downieville, Nevada City back to Auburn.

This sounds so epic that when I first read your post I almost dropped my phone. Do you have this documented anywhere? Is there a GPX file that you can share?!

I recently moved up to Rocklin and would absolutely love to try this route one day. I?ll work on my own route but figured you may have it and would have created the best possible gem of a trail network just like the CSTR.

Hoping all is well with you and everyone on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic Name: California Sierra Trail Race CSTR 2017 Reply #50 on: September 28, 2021, 03:56:37 AM
alpamayo

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2021, 03:56:37 AM »

I?ve s even a track of this on ridewithgps.com
Do a search for bikepacking route near Auburn and you should find it.

Topic Name: California Sierra Trail Race CSTR 2017 Reply #51 on: September 28, 2021, 06:28:55 AM
DjFlex

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2021, 06:28:55 AM »

Thanks. I've looked but have not found anything. Will keep searching.

Topic Name: California Sierra Trail Race CSTR 2017 Reply #52 on: September 28, 2021, 07:29:26 AM
Sean Allan

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2021, 07:29:26 AM »

Sean, nice to e-meet you. First off, you are a legend for putting together the CSTR. Thank you for all of your time and effort on this. I?ve stumbled upon the treasure troves of knowledge you and everyone has shared on this forum. Alas, looks like I?m 4+ years too late in discovering this but I?ve found the GPX files so will possibly attempt next year.

You speak of a route that heads from Auburn to Greagle, Downieville, Nevada City back to Auburn.

Let me look and see if I still have that laying around. I'm sure I do, just need to figure out what computer it's on.

This sounds so epic that when I first read your post I almost dropped my phone. Do you have this documented anywhere? Is there a GPX file that you can share?!

I recently moved up to Rocklin and would absolutely love to try this route one day. I?ll work on my own route but figured you may have it and would have created the best possible gem of a trail network just like the CSTR.

Hoping all is well with you and everyone on this forum.

Let me look to see if I still have that laying around. I'm sure I do, just need to figure out which computer it's on.

Topic Name: California Sierra Trail Race CSTR 2017 Reply #53 on: September 28, 2021, 09:59:23 AM
DjFlex

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2021, 09:59:23 AM »

Wow! The legend lives!

Appreciate that very much sir. Thank you.

Topic Name: California Sierra Trail Race CSTR 2017 Reply #54 on: November 04, 2021, 09:21:04 PM
DjFlex

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2021, 09:21:04 PM »

Any luck finding your supreme route Sean? Also do you have any primitive camping spot recommendations near Foresthill? I'm trying to plan a route from my house in Rocklin, bike up to National Forest land and camp for the night. (Using western states trail) Do a quick 100-120 mile out and back. Appreciate any info. Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 03:35:20 PM by DjFlex » Logged

Topic Name: California Sierra Trail Race CSTR 2017 Reply #55 on: May 04, 2022, 02:00:29 PM
DjFlex

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2022, 02:00:29 PM »

Hey Sean. Sorry to keep bugging you. Hoping to see if you still had that file. Again I?m working on my own route but would love to see your version of it if available. Thanks in advance!

Topic Name: California Sierra Trail Race CSTR 2017 Reply #56 on: May 04, 2022, 09:03:05 PM
TailLights

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2022, 09:03:05 PM »

I'm interested in what you end up with here. I'm near Auburn, and want to find some good routes in Tahoe National Forest. So many trails show up on google, but then some turn out to be roads, some look overgrown, some dead end.

Hopefully this summer I'll explore more in there. It would be great to have a route in Tahoe Nat forest that camps at some lakes.

Topic Name: California Sierra Trail Race CSTR 2017 Reply #57 on: May 10, 2022, 08:13:40 AM
DjFlex

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2022, 08:13:40 AM »

TailLights! Sounds awesome. Looking for the same. I?ve been using ?ridewithgps.com? to map out some rides but have not done them yet as there is still a lot of snow pack in the higher elevations. Happy to sync up sometime and grind out/map out some routes if you are interested.

Topic Name: California Sierra Trail Race CSTR 2017 Reply #58 on: January 10, 2023, 11:12:10 PM
DjFlex

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2023, 11:12:10 PM »

Doing my bi-yearly check in. Hope everyone is well. Finally got some rain.
Sean, hope you are ok. Would love to sync up sometime if you are open to it. Thanks again.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: