Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Black Hills Expedition or The Adirondack Trail Ride? on: May 24, 2017, 12:19:51 PM
eec

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2017, 12:19:51 PM »

Being out of the TDR this year I've been looking for something closer to home to tackle this year. First I dug up the TATR, which looks pretty awesome. I've never been to the Adirondacks, so this one is very appealing. However, I also just dug into info on the BHX, which looks amazing. I've been to the Black Hills three times, twice for backpacking trips and it is one of my favorite places. Can't do both. I know there are going to be personal preferences galore, but would you recommend one over the other? If so, why?

Including travel to and fro, I'm looking at a total of 10-12 days. I would tackle both routes at a race pace, and whatever time I had left after that would be to explore the area.

Topic Name: Black Hills Expedition or The Adirondack Trail Ride? Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 08:41:04 AM
threepin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 08:41:04 AM »

not sure where you are from, but if you've been to the black hills and not  adirondacks it seems like an easy choice. The Adirondack region is unique in the USA in the way it is organized and controlled. Though none of the mountains are big they can be steep and there are tons of lakes and rivers. If you were to do the TATR i would recommend going in Sept, possibly later than the grand depart syncing your timing to the fall colors.

Topic Name: Black Hills Expedition or The Adirondack Trail Ride? Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 03:46:34 PM
AlasdairMc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 03:46:34 PM »

Having never heard of the TATR, and knowing the BHX organiser, I'm riding the BHX grand depart in September. I'm hopeful that it'll be a good ride, photos and reviews make it sound like hard work but I'm up for a challenge.

The one thing I did notice on the TATR site was "may be a bushwhack" - not a fan of that!

Topic Name: Black Hills Expedition or The Adirondack Trail Ride? Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 04:45:10 PM
eec

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 04:45:10 PM »

Having never heard of the TATR, and knowing the BHX organiser, I'm riding the BHX grand depart in September. I'm hopeful that it'll be a good ride, photos and reviews make it sound like hard work but I'm up for a challenge.

The one thing I did notice on the TATR site was "may be a bushwhack" - not a fan of that!

I'm leaning towards the BHX. If you look at mileage and finishing times: BHX = ~460 miles, done in 4+ days, vs. TATR = ~550 miles, done in 8+ days.
It's clear that the TATR is either way harder, or you are off your bike a lot more, which I believe is the case. At any rate, I'm only going to have 10 days available, and I don't want to spend half, or more, of it HAB-ing. I'd rather finish up the BHX and have some time to explore the area and maybe hit some of the highlight singletracks out there.

Topic Name: Black Hills Expedition or The Adirondack Trail Ride? Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 05:21:53 PM
Tman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 05:21:53 PM »

I am local to the Black Hills and have ridden here for 35 years. I have not done the Expedition but know the trails and know folks who have done it. We have some fun, challenging riding. You could burn your extra days just riding close to Rapid City and never be bored. The folks in the Norhtern Hills have some great riding as well. Ask a local, it helps to have a guide as signage is slim

Topic Name: Black Hills Expedition or The Adirondack Trail Ride? Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 04:24:22 PM
AlasdairMc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 04:24:22 PM »

I'm leaning towards the BHX. If you look at mileage and finishing times: BHX = ~460 miles, done in 4+ days, vs. TATR = ~550 miles, done in 8+ days.
It's clear that the TATR is either way harder, or you are off your bike a lot more, which I believe is the case. At any rate, I'm only going to have 10 days available, and I don't want to spend half, or more, of it HAB-ing. I'd rather finish up the BHX and have some time to explore the area and maybe hit some of the highlight singletracks out there.

I'll be hanging around the area after finishing as well if you want a riding buddy. My plan is to hire a car from Rapid City and make my way back to Denver over about 10 days, via Moab as it's relatively close (same side of the Atlantic)

Topic Name: Black Hills Expedition or The Adirondack Trail Ride? Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 05:32:29 PM
jasonthorman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 05:32:29 PM »

Your link took me no where.  Is that really what you wanted to link?

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: