Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: AZTR 750 Single Speed Record on: October 27, 2016, 12:29:43 PM
elfreako

El Freako

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2016, 12:29:43 PM »

Does anybody know the fastest time on the 750 on a single speed?
Thanks!

Freako

Topic Name: AZTR 750 Single Speed Record Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 08:10:24 PM
taprider

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 08:10:24 PM »

cjell mone in 9.0 days
but you have to get a tattoo during the event too if you want to break the record

Topic Name: AZTR 750 Single Speed Record Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 10:38:07 AM
elfreako

El Freako

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 10:38:07 AM »

I thought he had the record. I'm going after that record next April!

Freako

Topic Name: AZTR 750 Single Speed Record Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 05:22:25 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 05:22:25 AM »

Get your hiking legs ready!

Topic Name: AZTR 750 Single Speed Record Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 04:25:21 PM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 04:25:21 PM »

Argg I want to join in

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: AZTR 750 Single Speed Record Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 04:43:18 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 04:43:18 PM »

Can we ALL just show up at the AZT starting line with single speeds? I'd be into that!

Can we change the rules to ONLY allow single speeds for next year?!

Topic Name: AZTR 750 Single Speed Record Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 05:30:08 PM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 05:30:08 PM »

I cannot make the race date but if it's not snowy I could itt. My guess is trying for 2018 to complete my lifetime triple crown

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: AZTR 750 Single Speed Record Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 05:26:17 AM
aaron w

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 05:26:17 AM »

Freako, the course could change slightly this year with John Shillings additional singletrack near Apache Junction.  It was optional last year and Cjell didn't do it if I remember correctly (he probably didn't even know about it).  The new singletrack definitely adds time so if it does become part of the official race course it could make comparing records a tiny bit harder.  Or maybe Scott won't include this singletrack...I don't know. 

Topic Name: AZTR 750 Single Speed Record Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 05:45:53 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 05:45:53 AM »

AFAIK, Scott is going add in the Gold Canyon stuff to the 750 route. Of course, he has the final say. At most, it would add about 2 hours for the average rider I'm guessing. It's not hard stuff, just zig-zags a bit and of course isn't as fast as the smooth paved shoulder of US60. The route should be the same after the Basha's shopping center in Gold Canyon, no Jacob Crosscut option until the FS upgrades that trail. Who knows if/when that'll ever happen. It's too bad, as it's only about 2-3 miles of trail that is really rough. It's such an incredible area I hope it gets the TLC it deserves.

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: AZTR 750 Single Speed Record Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 03:19:21 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 03:19:21 PM »

...It's not hard stuff, just zig-zags a bit ...

Nominating this for 'bikepacking understatement of the year' award.  Think intestines or tapeworm, and that's the amount of zigzagging and doubling back involved.  It's probably (most likely) not bad trail riding, and just seemed never-ending to me 'cuz a.) it was dark, b.) I was tired, c.) I was very hungry, d.) trails go every which way making me stop at each jct to check the track, e.) fully loaded hard tail with many repeat dips into and out of the same arroyo, f.) I was very hungry, g.) I was tired, and h.) It was dark.  I'd do it again.  Just don't underestimate, that's all.  Wink Wink Wink

Topic Name: AZTR 750 Single Speed Record Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 06:34:55 PM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 06:34:55 PM »

The new singletrack definitely adds time so if it does become part of the official race course it could make comparing records a tiny bit harder.

True, but other parts of the course have gotten substantially faster over the past few years, specifically the Highline Trail. And plans for rebuilding sections of that trail will just make it faster yet! So maybe the route will just have to keep getting slower in some places to "keep up" with other parts getting faster ;-)

Topic Name: AZTR 750 Single Speed Record Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 04:45:59 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 04:45:59 AM »

Good points Kurt, as the course has changed over the years Scott has always looked to keep the overall efforts similar. So with the work on Highline it may be that Gold canyon is needed to even things out.

Also I was going to point out that Freeman road in East Tucson has been updated to include a bike lane all the way to Speedway. So maybe adding ST in East PHX gives enough to get rid of the sandy horse trail at the end of Broadway.

Tim

Topic Name: AZTR 750 Single Speed Record Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 04:55:04 PM
geekonabike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 04:55:04 PM »

AFAIK, Scott is going add in the Gold Canyon stuff to the 750 route. Of course, he has the final say. At most, it would add about 2 hours for the average rider I'm guessing. It's not hard stuff, just zig-zags a bit and of course isn't as fast as the smooth paved shoulder of US60. The route should be the same after the Basha's shopping center in Gold Canyon, no Jacob Crosscut option until the FS upgrades that trail. Who knows if/when that'll ever happen. It's too bad, as it's only about 2-3 miles of trail that is really rough. It's such an incredible area I hope it gets the TLC it deserves.
Any chance we could have a weekend gathering & knock that work out?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

What don't Kill You, only makes You Smell Stronger

Topic Name: AZTR 750 Single Speed Record Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 01:56:18 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 01:56:18 PM »

Mike,
The Jacob Crosscut trail is currently getting a makeover by the fine folks at SALT. The lower 1/3 of that rubbly mess we rode last year is already re-routed. I'm curious to see how far their project goes.

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: AZTR 750 Single Speed Record Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 02:28:47 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 02:28:47 PM »

Following this and the prep thread close.. with the current, full on crappy unrideable weather up here I need anything to look forward to!

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: AZTR 750 Single Speed Record Reply #15 on: December 31, 2016, 06:41:18 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2016, 06:41:18 AM »

Nominating this for 'bikepacking understatement of the year' award.  Think intestines or tapeworm, and that's the amount of zigzagging and doubling back involved.  It's probably (most likely) not bad trail riding, and just seemed never-ending to me 'cuz a.) it was dark, b.) I was tired, c.) I was very hungry, d.) trails go every which way making me stop at each jct to check the track, e.) fully loaded hard tail with many repeat dips into and out of the same arroyo, f.) I was very hungry, g.) I was tired, and h.) It was dark.  I'd do it again.  Just don't underestimate, that's all.  Wink Wink Wink

Do you think it would help to get AZT stickers added to the signage? The first time I heard about this trail, the guy who put a lot of work into it was hoping we would use it for the bike bypass. If we could get the ATA on board with it being part of the AZT and get it marked, would that make it less annoying?

Are there casonite post? If all it takes is stickers it would be a easy thing to do.

Topic Name: AZTR 750 Single Speed Record Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 11:27:28 AM
taprider

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 11:27:28 AM »

I did Gold Canyon last year without a .gpx track only waypoints for trail heads (thanks Tim) and it only became difficult/impossible near the end
to make it easier, the official track could just take the most direct route on the main road/trail for the last mile and it would get rid of 90% of the navigation troubles
or just have a free for all, any track'll do for the very west portion, with no relegation asterisks

Topic Name: AZTR 750 Single Speed Record Reply #17 on: January 01, 2017, 10:46:24 AM
bmattingly

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2017, 10:46:24 AM »

Hey all,

I rode some Gold Canyon single track trails with a local a few days after Christmas.  It was just West of Peralta Trail road.  I found the trails to be very rocky, with a lot of water damage.  Also there seem to be a lot of trails in a concentrated area which may pose potential to get off route.  I found the trail to be less enjoyable than a lot of the AZT single track.

The guy I rode with has been working on the Highline trail and said that work will continue for another 2 years.  I'm super psyched about Highline improvements.

I think whatever Scott puts together will continue to be very high quality.

Cheers

Topic Name: AZTR 750 Single Speed Record Reply #18 on: January 04, 2017, 09:39:02 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2017, 09:39:02 AM »

Tim,
The trails in Gold Canyon are signed, homemade wooden variety, but very well made. I guess we could talk to the ATA about getting stickers for those. While you do have to connect a series of trails together to pass through the area, all the trail junctions are signed. It's not a series of vague cattle tracks out there. I really don't see a navigational issue here. I could see some confusion if you only had unlabeled waypoints, but if you labeled them something like 'left on Coyote', 'Go straight', etc. There would be no issue. I'm confident in rider's ability to stay on route when given a track to follow.

Brad, do you know what trails you rode specifically? If there is storm damage I'd like to pass on that information to the seasonal visitors who do most of the trail maintenance out there. The stuff I rode a few weeks ago was fine, but a couple of storms rolled through recently.

Would it be helpful if I rode the 750 route from Peralta rd through the Gold Canyon trails to Kings Ranch rd, taking pics of all the trail junctions? I'd be happy to do that if desired. The jeep road approach to Peralta rd from Queen Valley is similar in navigation to the jeep road extravaganza at the top of Redington rd, just way more rideable & less chunk.

Posters, T-Shirts, etc
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: