Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: AZTR Rules Carousel on: November 23, 2021, 04:46:15 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« on: November 23, 2021, 04:46:15 PM »

Hey gang!! Too early to start thinking about 2022's Grand Depart? Heck no!! Grand Depart: Thursday, October 20th, 2022 - 7a local.

So, the obvious change: The 300 and 800 will both start from border monument 103, same day, same time.

How can this be when it couldn't happen this year? The rider limit has been lowered. It's now a combined rider limit of 60. *There were less than 50 for the Grand Depart this year. As always, ITTs are highly encouraged. Who doesn't like following dots over a longer period of time? In the future, if demand warrants it, I'll revisit the start logistics.

The other change is moving the start date up one week to the 3rd Thursday in October. I think this year's finish times give a good idea of the pacing for the 800 and I'd rather not have riders finishing well into November. The main goal is to give riders the best opportunity to ride the AZT on the North Rim.

Website has been updated & gpx files disabled (always available in the yearly archive folders).

The only route changes for 2022 should be ATA projects.

I expect another good crop of spring ITTs, perhaps I'll give it another go without a blizzard this time!! Keep the AZT stoke alive!!
-John
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 04:40:05 PM by schillingsworth » Logged

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: AZTR Rules Carousel Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 05:42:59 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 05:42:59 AM »

Way to keep the stoke alive John, the new rider limit may not go over well with everyone but it's the right thing to do.

Topic Name: AZTR Rules Carousel Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 08:37:18 AM
V3XED

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 08:37:18 AM »

Well, I am here! So it cant be *too* early if we are all thinking it , right?

Also, as someone who is new to this event, I would love to better understand how the rider limit is implemented.
I am SUPER excited and keen to ride the AZ300 this year, and would hate to miss the opportunity.

Is there any type of official signup list to grab my spot? Or is it more of a first come first serve thing?

Cheers!

Topic Name: AZTR Rules Carousel Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 04:59:35 PM
aarond

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 04:59:35 PM »

A lot of people do individual time trials in the spring
  You can start any day and any time you like and be tracked on Trackleaders.  There is also a group start in the fall. Registration usually opens about a month early and a link will be posted here and on the fb aztr page. If you pay attention and sign up early it should be no problem getting in.

Topic Name: AZTR Rules Carousel Reply #4 on: December 04, 2021, 03:06:10 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2021, 03:06:10 AM »

Cheers, it's a FCFS sign up like Aaron said opens one month before, pay attention and you shouldn't have any trouble getting in.

As to the rider limit, the only way to make it work under Fed rules for forest lands is to keep the group small, they say 75. However that includes any shuttle drivers, that and for several other reasons a self imposed limit of 50 riders has been considered. The opportunity is always there, you can ITT at anytime. It's always the Race Directors call, some riders want two start days and don't see a problem with 150 riders out on the trail at the same time. Out of respect for the trail and other users groups I am against that. The trail is only getting busier and it's important to maintain a good relationship with the Association and others on the trail. The event has flown under the radar for 15 years now, the last thing we need is to get on the bad side of the ATA or others.

Tim

Topic Name: AZTR Rules Carousel Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 10:00:36 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 10:00:36 PM »

Well said, Tim.

In the original post I now have the rider limit set at 60. That's a combined total for both the 300 & 800. Registration will open on September 20, 2022 around 7a Arizona local time. As mentioned, a link will be posted here, the AZTR website and the Facebook AZTR page. Put a notification on your phone. I was a bit surprised it didn't fill up this year, next year could be different. The Stagecoach400 registration recently opened and it filled within hours!! Anyone's guess.

Also as mentioned, ITT's are always welcome and don't apply to the 60 rider limit. All I ask is if you're going to do an ITT, do it any day except the day of the Grand Depart. So please don't plan an ITT a few hours before or after the Grand Depart. Day early or later is fine. Personally, I prefer the 300 in the spring, but in a effort to spread out the users and resource allocations, the Grand Depart will remain in the fall. In 2021, we had 41 spring ITTs spread over 6 weeks or so.

Welcome and happy planning!!

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: AZTR Rules Carousel Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 09:19:24 AM
Randell

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 09:19:24 AM »

Hello, gang!

Do we know when the 2022 gpx files will be available?

Thanks!

Randell

Topic Name: AZTR Rules Carousel Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 01:00:29 PM
phatmike

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 01:00:29 PM »

Hello, gang!

Do we know when the 2022 gpx files will be available?

Hey there. John usually will have final versions of the gpx published about a month prior to the event. You can grab last year's version and it will be very close to what the final will be this year. More than good enough for planning anyway.

There are way too many variables between now and then to release a final 2022 route. Wildfire detours, other planned/unplanned work, etc. always crops up between now and the grand depart which is the reason for nothing being available at this time.

Topic Name: AZTR Rules Carousel Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 06:50:50 PM
Randell

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 06:50:50 PM »

Hey there. John usually will have final versions of the gpx published about a month prior to the event. You can grab last year's version and it will be very close to what the final will be this year. More than good enough for planning anyway.

There are way too many variables between now and then to release a final 2022 route. Wildfire detours, other planned/unplanned work, etc. always crops up between now and the grand depart which is the reason for nothing being available at this time.

Okay, thanks. I was thinking of planning an ITT this Spring. Are there any known closures from last year?s route? Thanks again.

Topic Name: AZTR Rules Carousel Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 09:23:54 AM
phatmike

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 09:23:54 AM »

Okay, thanks. I was thinking of planning an ITT this Spring. Are there any known closures from last year?s route? Thanks again.

I am not aware of any at this time, again using last year's gpx as at least a planning tool will get you 99.99 percent of the way there if not 100. In the event of something changing, keep your eyes here or in the facebook groups for more up to the minute route impacting changes especially as ITT's start to get scheduled.

Topic Name: AZTR Rules Carousel Reply #10 on: February 25, 2022, 09:10:40 AM
phatmike

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2022, 09:10:40 AM »

As soon as I post that, it sounds like there has been a change to the route to eliminate the pavement stretch of SR82 - and the new gpx files are posted. If you aren't following the "Arizona Trail Race (mtb)" group on FB you really should.

Topic Name: AZTR Rules Carousel Reply #11 on: March 02, 2022, 09:51:17 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2022, 09:51:17 PM »

Hey Randall,
Sorry, my bikepacking.net notices went to spam and I didn't see this until now, but Mike is on it. I should hire him. gpx tracks are posted on the website. No major changes so far. One change is for the 800 north of Flagstaff. Another section of singletrack opened on Babbitt Ranch before the winter closed things down up there. The track now stays straight at Cedar Tank, then turns north to the forest boundary where it picks up the trail. There have also been 3 smaller re-routes near Sunflower, just before reaching Sycamore Creek. I hear the next project in the area will focus on the north side of AZ87 to add singletrack and eliminate a bunch of jeep road riding. Could be finished this spring as it's going out to bid soon. The ATA always has projects in the works and as I get updated gpx files, the 300 and/or 800 will get updated. Check the website regularly for the latest version.

You'll also see a Legacy AZT to Patagonia gpx track posted. This is for anyone who may not make it through the private ranch land before sunset, but wants to keep moving or someone who starts an ITT at an odd time where it affects the sunrise to sunset only access of the ranch land. Either route is acceptable for the race, but know the legacy route is longer, slower and more difficult. You'd be wise to take the new trail and get through the ranch property in daylight, it's great riding. For reference, it's the final 2 miles or so of the route before it reaches the SR82 underpass, roughly miles 52.5 to 54.5.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 10:59:21 PM by schillingsworth » Logged

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: AZTR Rules Carousel Reply #12 on: March 02, 2022, 09:54:55 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2022, 09:54:55 PM »

I should also note, the AZTR Spring ITT Sign-up form is LIVE and open for business!!

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: AZTR Rules Carousel Reply #13 on: April 17, 2022, 09:05:28 AM
taprider

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2022, 09:05:28 AM »

What happened to Aaron D?
He sure seems to have a string of bad luck

Topic Name: AZTR Rules Carousel Reply #14 on: April 17, 2022, 09:38:56 AM
phatmike

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2022, 09:38:56 AM »

He scratched - the heat took its toll on him from what I saw on FB.

Topic Name: AZTR Rules Carousel Reply #15 on: April 21, 2022, 07:36:53 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2022, 07:36:53 PM »

Lael finished her 800 ITT a bit ago, about 2h 20m ahead of Nate's winning time from last October.
Rules. The AZTR has them and enforces them. Rule #2 explicitly states no media crews & no record will be acknowledged if a media crew is used. There's also a visitation rule which states excessive use may result in relegation. Unfortunately this too occurred over the entire 800 miles.
Lael's finish time of 9d 8h 24m will be noted, but not recognized as the record for violating the above rules.
I know a lot of you are very passionate about these events, keep it civil.

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: AZTR Rules Carousel Reply #16 on: April 22, 2022, 09:03:17 AM
phatmike

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2022, 09:03:17 AM »

Lael finished her 800 ITT a bit ago, about 2h 20m ahead of Nate's winning time from last October.
Rules. The AZTR has them and enforces them. Rule #2 explicitly states no media crews & no record will be acknowledged if a media crew is used. There's also a visitation rule which states excessive use may result in relegation. Unfortunately this too occurred over the entire 800 miles.
Lael's finish time of 9d 8h 24m will be noted, but not recognized as the record for violating the above rules.
I know a lot of you are very passionate about these events, keep it civil.
Killer effort by Lael - no way around that. However the rules are good and are there for a reason. Thanks for keeping the line from getting blurry, John.

Topic Name: AZTR Rules Carousel Reply #17 on: April 22, 2022, 10:55:24 AM
taprider

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2022, 10:55:24 AM »

Thank you. Good job John

If bikepack FKTs begin to have a fully supported category like trail runners do, then it won't be bikepacking anymore, it will be a stage race in the same way that Tour de France ended up where it is today even though it started with self support only

Topic Name: AZTR Rules Carousel Reply #18 on: April 22, 2022, 01:40:35 PM
phatmike

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2022, 01:40:35 PM »

I trust that Lael carried everything and did all of "that stuff" the right way. The X factor is the knowing (on a daily basis or maybe even multiple times a day) that you will be meeting with someone is a huge pull no matter how you slice it. I will never dream of being able to move as fast as Lael or other top riders but I do know that when I am "out there" - if I know that someone is waiting for me at a location it makes me ride differently - heck this happens even during a day group ride. Now put a person at as many places possible (not gonna list them but they are extensive based on the IG feed of Lael) and it has to be considered support. Whether the racer believes it is or isn't.

This shouldn't be construed as "hate" by anyone who agrees. I think Lael is a freaking badass. But the rules are right there on the site and nothing new. My only wish is that Lael would have not put the RD in a position to make this call. Take ownership of your choice to ride in this manner and call it a day.

Topic Name: AZTR Rules Carousel Reply #19 on: April 22, 2022, 06:58:59 PM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2022, 06:58:59 PM »

So I was reading comments on IG.  Apparently John is now "God of the AZT".  Nice promotion dude!

The X factor is the knowing (on a daily basis or maybe even multiple times a day) that you will be meeting with someone is a huge pull no matter how you slice it. I will never dream of being able to move as fast as Lael or other top riders but I do know that when I am "out there" - if I know that someone is waiting for me at a location it makes me ride differently - heck this happens even during a day group ride. Now put a person at as many places possible (not gonna list them but they are extensive based on the IG feed of Lael) and it has to be considered support. Whether the racer believes it is or isn't.
That's a small part of it for me.  A strong racer will tear it up regardless.  The bigger thing for me is the direct support a media crew provides which seems lost on every single IG commenter: "Someone taking photos of you doesn't make you ride faster."  No, but if everyone else has to take their own photos, it slows them down.  Most of the faster racers have sponsor obligations or needs to document the race just like Lael does, but don't have the hookup for their own media crew.  So they have to do it themselves.  Not only does that slow them down, but adds stress and effort when they are also trying to navigate the route, manage hydration and nutrition, and deal with whatever else the route and mother nature throws at them.  Taking one job like media off your plate during the tough hours of a race is a pretty significant advantage over other racers.  

My only wish is that Lael would have not put the RD in a position to make this call. Take ownership of your choice to ride in this manner and call it a day.
This is so true.  I'm a bit disgusted with JohnP from the Radavist who keeps implying that the race director has it out for Lael.  He has a conflict of interest here because his photographer was out there, and his business benefits from the media generated on this ride.  The internet masses read comments like his, only half understand what is going on, and pile on about the "injustice" of "marginalizing" Lael's accomplishment.  Which of course is not what's happening.  No one is saying it was not an incredible ride.  It has simply been ruled a supported ride, not unsupported, per AZTR rules.  It can still be considered a FKT.  Just not an unsupported FKT for the AZTR.  Look at the profile of most of those comments.  I don't see anyone with bikepacking related posts among those who are not hiding behind private accounts.  I doubt any of those commenters will be seen lining up for AZTR.  

Stick to your guns John, you made the right call here.  Thanks for all you do!
  Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: