Pages: 1 2 [3]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #40 on: August 04, 2015, 01:43:40 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2015, 01:43:40 PM »

I am looking to do the AZT 300. Jeff Z has been very helpful in providing me with suggestions. I was wondering if there is anyone in the Phoenix area that is looking to do some training rides together as the date approaches? Perhaps pre-riding parts of the course?

I would consider myself a mid-pack finisher. Certainly will not be looking to crush any records. After seeing times in years past, I would hope to finish in four days or so.

I know that Jeff Z character!! We've done a few silly rides over the years. Sounds like you're about on my pacing, finished the 300 in '13 just a couple hours over 4 days. What part of the Valley do you reside? I'm down in Queen Creek - closer to the AZT!! I'm game for any pre-rides for April. I have a bunch on the to-do list already, just waiting for things to cool off. I'll PM you my contact info. Cheers!

-John

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #41 on: August 24, 2015, 08:22:33 AM
asurlyranger

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2015, 08:22:33 AM »

Is there a 2016 Planning thread? I have a few questions I'd like to ask.

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #42 on: August 26, 2015, 07:42:49 PM
taprider

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2015, 07:42:49 PM »

Is there a 2016 Planning thread? I have a few questions I'd like to ask.

x2

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #43 on: August 27, 2015, 08:51:45 AM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2015, 08:51:45 AM »

Start one!  Smiley

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #44 on: September 24, 2015, 07:23:49 AM
distortion10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2015, 07:23:49 AM »

The rules state no water caches but does that include using water at the water storage bins after oracle and freeman road?

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #45 on: September 24, 2015, 07:46:04 AM
SlowRide

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2015, 07:46:04 AM »

The rules state no water caches but does that include using water at the water storage bins after oracle and freeman road?

I think what the rule gets at is no intentional caching of personal water for the race. Any water found in public storage tanks, ponds, springs, rivers, and caches that have been filled by AZT users is legal. I also did run in to one trail magic water cache on Mt. Lemmon this year.

Going that one more round, when you don't think you can. That's what makes all the difference in your life.
--Rocky Balboa

http://twelvemilesperhour.blogspot.com

TDR 2014, AZTR750 2015, CTR 2015

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #46 on: September 24, 2015, 08:14:01 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2015, 08:14:01 AM »

That's right -- the 'official' (ATA maintained for all AZT users) caches are fair game.  The idea is that you can't make your own.

AZTR specific caches are definitely NOT encouraged.  A bit of a grey area, maybe, but I hope to hear about less of them, not more.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #47 on: October 06, 2015, 07:29:02 PM
Beardog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2015, 07:29:02 PM »

Scott,

Count me in for 2016 AZ 750 and I am all for an earlier start. If I fly to Tucson is a ride to the border a realistic possibility? Or bus nearby?

Beardog

Beardog

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #48 on: October 07, 2015, 09:23:22 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2015, 09:23:22 AM »

Scott,

Count me in for 2016 AZ 750 and I am all for an earlier start. If I fly to Tucson is a ride to the border a realistic possibility? Or bus nearby?

Beardog

Yeah Beardog!  Another go at the triple crown?

Stay tuned here on bp.net to join a shuttle down to the border.  Things will start coming together as it gets closer.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #49 on: October 08, 2015, 10:28:04 AM
Jeff Z

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2015, 10:28:04 AM »

I know that Jeff Z character!! We've done a few silly rides over the years. Sounds like you're about on my pacing, finished the 300 in '13 just a couple hours over 4 days. What part of the Valley do you reside? I'm down in Queen Creek - closer to the AZT!! I'm game for any pre-rides for April. I have a bunch on the to-do list already, just waiting for things to cool off. I'll PM you my contact info. Cheers!

-John

Be really careful with this guy. He'll have you talked into the 750 before you know it.

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #50 on: October 08, 2015, 10:46:57 AM
Jeff Z

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2015, 10:46:57 AM »

Regarding Trail Magic.

I think it would be helpful for someone to define trail magic so that everyone is on the same page. Is it receiving something unsolicited? Or, as someone earlier mentioned, does it matter as to what you receive?

I get, and support, the whole "no cache, self supported" thing. But if someone that you come upon offers you a coke because  you just look pitiful, I can't see the harm in that. To me that is trail magic because it is unexpected and welcome. So, what is wrong with it? Why discourage something that makes the trip more memorable?

Maybe what we are talking about is when you solicit someone else for food/supplies? Even with that I'm not sure I see it as being so awful. If you can get someone you don't know on the trail to help you out when you are in need, what is the harm? You are still relying on the kindness of strangers, so it is totally unreliable and random.

However, if you have someone you know bringing you food/supplies or drop a cache somewhere - that is no longer self supported.

Certainly, there are degrees of nuance to this, but putting some definitions around it might be helpful. I probably broke this rule when I did the 300 - because I didn't realize that asking a stranger for water was not permitted. Guess I'll have to give back my prize money.  Wink

Not sure I even get what "Trail Stalking" is, but I suspect it is something that would not happen to me anyhow.

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #51 on: October 08, 2015, 01:31:54 PM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2015, 01:31:54 PM »

Re: Trail Magic
Here's some examples of trail magic I witnessed in the 2012 CTR. Some obvious black and white issues, but some might be considered a wee bit gray...
1) Person-A called ahead to have a meal ready and waiting in Bailey.
2) Person-A drafted me most of the way up 285 to Kenosha, in the rain. Funny, because at 55 I wasn't that fast. More of a draft to stay drier than escape the wind.
3) Person-A called friends and knew exactly where a cooler full of trail magic would be right after we crested Georgia Pass.
4) Person-B calling to arrange a meet with his girlfriend in Silverton/Molas where he would give her surplus gear, including the bike's rear rack, to make the bike faster and lighter to the finish. BTW: Person-B's finish photo clearly shows a bike sans rear rack.
5) I accepted a freeze-dried meal from Person-B because he was going to pitch it and I probably wasn't going to finish without it... I didn't finish anyway, but with the luxury of now looking back and given the opportunity to rewind and replay, I'd not accept the meal... I'd also probably eat a little bit less at Apple's camp... I sleep better when things are obvious black and white.
Anyone know of a person who always bums a beer and never offers you one? The person who always borrows your tools... and returns them dirty... and had to be reminded too many times to return them? The person who is always a bully at a traffic merge? Those are the types which abuse and redefine their own trail magic...

Regarding Trail Magic.

I think it would be helpful for someone to define trail magic so that everyone is on the same page. ...snip...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 06:11:19 AM by Yogi the Barry » Logged

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #52 on: October 08, 2015, 02:06:40 PM
Jeff Z

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2015, 02:06:40 PM »

Re: Trail Magic
Here's some examples of trail magic I witnessed in the 2012 CTR. Some obvious black and white issues, but some might be considered a wee bit gray...
1) Person-A called ahead to have a meal ready and waiting in Bailey.
2) Person-A drafted me most of the way up 285 to Kenosha, in the rain. Funny, because at 55 I wasn't that fast. More of a draft to stay drier than escape the wind.
3) Person-A called friends and knew exactly where a cooler full of trail magic would be right after we crested Georgia Pass.
4) Person-B calling to arrange a meet with his girlfriend in Silverton/Molas where he would give her surplus gear, including the bike's rear rack, to make the bike faster and lighter to the finish. BTW: Person-B's finish photo clearly shows a bike sans rear rack.
5) I accepted a freeze-dried meal from Person-B because he was going to pitch it and I probably wasn't going to finish without it... I didn't finish anyway, but with the luxury of now looking back and given the opportunity to rewind and replay, I'd not accept the meal... I'd also probably eat a little bit less at Apple's camp... I sleep better when things are obvious black and white.
Anyone know of a person who always bums a beer and never offers you one? The person who always borrows your tools... and returns them dirty... and had to be reminded too many times to return them? The person who always bully's at a traffic merge? Those are the types which trail magic is good karma wasted...

I have my opinions on those, but I'm no expert.

1. Not magical
2. Not magical - just lame.
3. Not magical
4. I'd say that is not even self-supported - forget trail magic. Now if person B went to a Post Office (which everyone else has access to) and mailed stuff home (which everyone else can do), then that seems cool to me.
5. To me this is the only one I'd consider trail magic. As long as you weren't Yogi'ing (see what I did there?) I'd say it is good.

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #53 on: October 08, 2015, 03:38:25 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2015, 03:38:25 PM »

All these races are about 'Doing. It. Yourself.' right? Self-supported.

So if you take a coke from someone on the trail (regardless of it being offered, or you soliciting for it), it's no longer self-supported...you've just received support.

In the 2013 CTR I had to accept a rear wheel from a bike shop owner's personal gear due to broken spokes on mine and he didn't have any in stock (nicest thing anyone's ever done for me!) and I pulled out of the race because I had received support. However, I went to a bike shop like anyone could have...and, at the end of the day, what's the difference between being handed a coke or a rear wheel if you really need it.

That's how I look at it.

According to the AZT rules however (looking at the website now) unplanned support from other races, and trail magic are 'allowed - but not encouraged'. You won't get relegated. I just don't think you can call it self-supported anymore.

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #54 on: December 05, 2015, 08:01:23 PM
Sandstorm

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2015, 08:01:23 PM »

I am in Tucson and would like to do some of the route! Email me

The difficult you're suppose to do right away.
The impossible that will take a few days longer.
-Edward keeylocko

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #55 on: January 14, 2016, 07:51:04 PM
dwengs

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2016, 07:51:04 PM »

I am in for the AZT 750, going for the triple crown.   thumbsup
  Pages: 1 2 [3]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: