Pages: 1 [2] 3
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 06:15:09 AM
Flagster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 06:15:09 AM »

I will confess to cheering on a few riders (three) as they came through Flagstaff...and this was only possible due to being able to track online.  I didn't think at the time that this could be considered "race stalking" and I apologize to those riders if it was not appreciated (JP, AD, and TimV)... but maybe some clarification and recommendation would be useful.
I guess I thought if I was in their place I would enjoy a set of clapping hands and some encouragement.  As a newbie to the scene I was also so excited to see these guys come through after that effort.  Again I apologize if this is frowned upon.

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #21 on: April 24, 2015, 01:17:07 PM
the tortoise

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2015, 01:17:07 PM »

Gates,

I was last one through and I found very few gates left open and the ones I did were obviously left open by the ranchers or were broken. I know several were very hard to close, particularly for this old little man but I found a way. In my opinion if the rancher who is probably using public lands to graze their cattle on can't make gates a little easier to open and close then they must take some responsibility as well. If it were my ranch I would make gates easier to close so frustrated or weak hikers and bikers wouldn't be tempted to just say forget it and leave them open. Vs. two years ago I saw a big improvement in gates.

Trail magic is a real mixed bag. I had one guy insist on eating some heated up pasta along with some water, so I took it. Another time at Phantom Ranch where a young lady insisted I take a bunch of meat and cheese, lettuce and tomatoes, so I took that too. I guess you can make a rule that absolutely no trail magic is allowed other than water caches and leave it at that so there is a level playing field for everyone. To me water is the key and running out of food constitutes poor planning.

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #22 on: April 24, 2015, 02:18:36 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2015, 02:18:36 PM »

I'm in favour of an earlier start. Also +1 on the safety aspect. Self safety is always number one in my books when out on the trail. As for gates I came across a handful open and most closed. The only open ones that I recall were the ones with the stick and loop. I left gates as I found them as that's how I was taught, but knowing the AZ rules as Tim pointed out I'll do different next year and close all.
April 15th, 2016. Already getting pumped!

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #23 on: April 24, 2015, 05:23:04 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2015, 05:23:04 PM »

Alright already planning the return. Unless it's pulled back to the fence line I would go with close, if it's broken or beyond reasonable to operate I think you have good reason to give up at some point. If you had just a shoe lace you could sacrifice you might leave one, somewhat up, for someone else to deal with latter.

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 12:59:54 PM
boatmana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 12:59:54 PM »

I like the time changes.

And I propose if Kurt can not shut any gate he must wait for another rider to help home before continuing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #25 on: April 26, 2015, 11:19:13 AM
bmattingly

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2015, 11:19:13 AM »

I like as early start time as possible.  For me daylight travel is much safer than night travel and cooler temps early.  Many years it will be warm to hot.  For me the 8am for 300 is better.  I would even support earlier.  I realize there are probably riders coming in the morning from Tucson.

Great change on the medical injury issue.

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 05:23:39 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 05:23:39 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.  So far there are no votes for the current or later (!) start time.

There are usually a gate or two open somewhere on the 300 course, but the rest are generally closed.  Sounds like perhaps more than usual were left open, perhaps intentionally.

I'll reiterate the rule I usually explain at the start about closing them.  I suppose it should be added to the site, as well.  There are an incredible number (and variety) of gates on the trail!

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 05:27:03 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 05:27:03 PM »

I will confess to cheering on a few riders (three) as they came through Flagstaff...and this was only possible due to being able to track online.  I didn't think at the time that this could be considered "race stalking" and I apologize to those riders if it was not appreciated (JP, AD, and TimV)... but maybe some clarification and recommendation would be useful.
I guess I thought if I was in their place I would enjoy a set of clapping hands and some encouragement.  As a newbie to the scene I was also so excited to see these guys come through after that effort.  Again I apologize if this is frowned upon.

Thanks for the post, Flagster, but I think you are likely fine.

Generally this sort of thing falls under the "allowed but not encouraged, use or apply sparingly" category of the rules.  Generally, the less remote the stalking and the less driving you do, the better.  Tour Divide rules state explicitly that visiting (stalking) racers is only allowed *in town* where services are nearby, and only if you live in that town.  So I think you are fine.

It sounds like there were lots of vehicles and stalkers in some of the more remote areas of the course this year, though.  I'd like to see and hear about less of that next year.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 10:19:18 PM
xcracer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 10:19:18 PM »

The earlier 300 start seems like a good idea, is april 15th the start day for next year?

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #29 on: April 27, 2015, 11:37:35 PM
SlowRide

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2015, 11:37:35 PM »

Hi everyone,

I've got the start date for 2016 set at April 15th.

Going that one more round, when you don't think you can. That's what makes all the difference in your life.
--Rocky Balboa

http://twelvemilesperhour.blogspot.com

TDR 2014, AZTR750 2015, CTR 2015

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #30 on: May 02, 2015, 09:15:27 AM
Norb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2015, 09:15:27 AM »

The rule change makes good sense and in a knackered state of mind decisions can be difficult. This will help when the time comes...

I like the idea of an earlier start for the 750.  And depending upon the start time of the 300, it was interesting and a bit chaotic at times being passed by the 300'ers, although it did make me smile when Kurt rang his bell to pass.

A Tax Day and First Quarter Moon start in '16; a Good Friday and Full Moon start in '15.  Hmm....trying to figure out a pattern here, Scott.  icon_scratch

“The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable.”
― Charles Bukowski

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #31 on: May 04, 2015, 02:31:02 PM
xcracer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2015, 02:31:02 PM »

Ill be doing a early start, 3-12-16….Id love to do it with everybody else but my Uofa spring break starts the 12th so i am gonna do the 300 then. Already to give it a go for my first time!

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #32 on: May 07, 2015, 03:06:05 PM
Jeff Z

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2015, 03:06:05 PM »

As one of those who started earlier in the past, I'm all for that change. Any extra daylight is helpful. Seems like a waste not to roll out when the sun comes up. 

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #33 on: May 24, 2015, 12:20:19 PM
singlespeedster

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2015, 12:20:19 PM »

8am is good for the 300 as far as I'm concerned.

Keep mountain biking weird

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #34 on: June 03, 2015, 08:38:48 AM
Rorr

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2015, 08:38:48 AM »

I think trail magic is pretty cool I'd hate to see it outlawed.

Robert Orr

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #35 on: June 04, 2015, 04:34:00 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2015, 04:34:00 AM »

The thing that I see is that spot stalkers are becoming would be trail angels more and more. The boxes left on course this year were clearly a cache, perhaps it needs to be made clear that caching is not allowed for racers or for trail angels and that spot stalking should be about cheering on racers not bringing them goodies. Then it really would be magic when it happens.

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #36 on: June 04, 2015, 12:12:54 PM
rhino

32xYM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2015, 12:12:54 PM »

I've think I've said this before. In my opinion....trail magic = a tall can of beer and some old lady giving you an ice cream sandwich. Trail magic is not a gallon of water, spare tube, and Clif Bars.  Trail Magic to me is stuff you would never bring on the ride, and stuff you really don't need.  It's self supported for a reason.  Trail Magic dilutes the experience in my opinion.

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #37 on: July 09, 2015, 03:23:32 PM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2015, 03:23:32 PM »

Scott,
Re: Medical transport - Big yes to medical issues and health trumping all.
Re: Early start - From my AZT 300 [750 is a maybe] perspective, 8AM if great.
Re: Trail Magic - I didn't do the AZT this year, but I did the 300 the previous year. Only trail magic I witnessed in '13 was my own, of giving away a few slices of Velvet Elvis pizza that I could neither fit in my stomach nor pack on the bike. Awesome stuff that I just couldn't see go to waste. I also gave away a warm beer out of my car to Arno [?] when I finished in Superior at 2AM. Best damn warm beer I've ever had. Either trail magic deed could also be considered sabotage, depending on the recipients stomach.
However, I have witnessed a lot of suspect trail magic and, to be honest, downright cheating during the two CTRs I've done. As in someone knowing exactly where the trail magic would  be on the trail [not Apple, phone contact from friends], drafting, calling ahead to arrange food, stripping down a bike for the final day's push, yada, yada. My impression is that the folks who run the AZT seem to do it a little cleaner, as a whole.
-Barry
Edit: I did remember seeing way too many Gu/gel wrappers on the trail. I'm pretty sure they were being dropped by fast 300 riders, but I could be wrong. Trash/litter is a pet peeve of mine. However, I didn't mind the $20 bill 'litter' I found in the midde of frickin' nowhere Black Hills section. I confess that I spent a few minutes searching and hoping for more green litter...
Hi everyone,
I've got the start date for 2016 set at April 15th...
First, a rule change I already made on the site.  Previously the rule was "no motorized transport" without exception.  I've changed it to allow transport to any hospital or medical clinic...
Second, what do people think about starting an hour earlier? ...
Third, there were lots of reports of race stalking and trail magic this year...
Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 03:40:11 PM by Yogi the Barry » Logged

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #38 on: July 19, 2015, 01:57:02 PM
Bug Shield

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2015, 01:57:02 PM »

As someone who has not (yet) done the race..

1. Good thinking on simplifying the decision to seek medical help and tilting the balance in favor of caution.

2. The earlier the start the better.  I agree with the poster who questioned the staggered start.

3. On the trail magic, I think it may depend on what you are trying to accomplish with the race.  If you want to see the sport/race advance in popularity, I think it would be a mistake to discourage spectators and well-wishers.  Maybe the rule could be no prearranged trail magic and any real trail magic is to be had at a full stop (nothing gets packed for later).  Maybe also no repeat trail magic (same person helping a favorite racer).  Just ideas, I don't claim to know The Path.

Topic Name: AZTR 2016 changes and rules Reply #39 on: August 03, 2015, 07:33:22 PM
tappy

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2015, 07:33:22 PM »

I am looking to do the AZT 300. Jeff Z has been very helpful in providing me with suggestions. I was wondering if there is anyone in the Phoenix area that is looking to do some training rides together as the date approaches? Perhaps pre-riding parts of the course?

I would consider myself a mid-pack finisher. Certainly will not be looking to crush any records. After seeing times in years past, I would hope to finish in four days or so.
  Pages: 1 [2] 3
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: