bncrshr77

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 08, 2014, 06:31:24 AM »

Thanks for cranking this out!  Makes thing much easier

Topic Name: AZTR 2014 Planning Reply #183 on: April 08, 2014, 07:06:33 AM
mountainjah

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 08, 2014, 07:06:33 AM »

thanks a ton, Scott- travel safe everyone. See you all at Parker Lake!

michaelackerman.org

Topic Name: AZTR 2014 Planning Reply #184 on: April 08, 2014, 09:40:34 AM
boatmana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: April 08, 2014, 09:40:34 AM »

Thanks Scott for all your work you put in to this.  Kudos to you.

Looks like I talked a few peeps in to a Tuesday Early Bird start.  So ill be sure to pick up everyone's bike parts that they drop.  Who was the one last year who dropped his entire cassette, engagement assembly in the big ditch?   

As for Oracle State Park, I cruised through there at about 8PM last year and the park was dark and closed, the park ranger I encountered was a cute female in a yellow car.  She said hello and asked if I was lost. BangHead 

Topic Name: AZTR 2014 Planning Reply #185 on: April 08, 2014, 02:45:20 PM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 08, 2014, 02:45:20 PM »

I echo the shout-out to Scott!

Parker Canyon clan - I'll bring a few special NM barley beverages to share Thurs evening. Hope to get there before sunset. I'm only biting off the 300, I'm a lowly animal-class athlete, so sorry to the 750 alien-class folks. If there's anything left, 750s can drink one when you ride thru Fri morning or take one with you.  Wink

Topic Name: AZTR 2014 Planning Reply #186 on: April 08, 2014, 03:17:20 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 08, 2014, 03:17:20 PM »

Yes, another echo here.  Thanks, Scott.  New 2014 10k track loaded just fine.  Didn't really expect any issues, and don't see any.

Topic Name: AZTR 2014 Planning Reply #187 on: April 08, 2014, 05:17:51 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: April 08, 2014, 05:17:51 PM »

You guys are certainly welcome.  I love getting more people out on the trail.  Especially the northern 750 route needed a fresh track and fresh eyes in a number of sections.

One quick note - the tracker has everyone that has signed up for tracking now loaded.  If you have your own SPOT, please fire it up and send an OK and some track points.  Make sure your dot shows up on the map.  If not, make sure your share page has the points, then let's debug from there.

Tracking map is:

http://www.trackleaders.com/aztr14

We are in the mid-40's for total starters right now.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: AZTR 2014 Planning Reply #188 on: April 08, 2014, 08:55:43 PM
B_Bock

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 08, 2014, 08:55:43 PM »

Good luck to all of the AZTR racers. I wish I was lining up with you all this Friday.
Scott- This is by far the most challenging bike race on the planet. Thank you for all of your dedication and effort.
Hoping all the riders have a safe and successful adventure.
See you next year!

Topic Name: AZTR 2014 Planning Reply #189 on: April 08, 2014, 09:58:25 PM
boatmana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: April 08, 2014, 09:58:25 PM »

"We are in the mid-40's for total starters right now."

Yikes hope there are some candy bars left in the stores and more importantly water in the cache...maybe my turn to fill the H20 cache.

Topic Name: AZTR 2014 Planning Reply #190 on: April 08, 2014, 09:58:56 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: April 08, 2014, 09:58:56 PM »

Notes from the RD:

* Get the new GPX files.  Both the 300 and 750 routes have changed to follow the AZT in Oracle State Park, whereas the old route followed different trails to the Ranch House in the park.  Keep following AZT signs and the GPX.  

* Forecast is looking quite warm.  Plan accordingly for water.  Unless you know the route and the water sources (time to next...) carry much more than you think you need.  Also realize that water caches do run out and should not be relied upon absolutely.  Do not arrive at a water cache dry.  We met a thru-hiker who showed up at the Freeman Cache dry.  There was only a half gallon.  He had to call 911.

* Print out this water chart: http://www.fredgaudetphotography.com/aztrail/watercurrent.pdf   There are other water sources out there and they may save your thirsty lips.

* Please email me at smorris@topofusion.com if you scratch.  Better to be marked a scratch than have friends/family/onlookers wondering why you haven't updated for several days.  Even if you don't have a SPOT, please email me if you scratch.  Also, email me your finish time when you finish.  Otherwise I will pull a less precise time from the tracker.

* If you do end up hitting 911 or needing rescue, please do not indicate you are doing any sort of event or race.  You aren't.  Remember that you're out on the AZT, on your own, just as you would be any other day.

Some notes for 750 riders:

* Remember that there is no camping allowed in the Grand Canyon, unless you have a permit.  If you go to the backcountry office in the South Rim village, you can tell them you are doing the AZT (not the Arizona Trail Race!) and get a last minute permit to camp at Phantom Ranch in the "Private Stock Site."  I had to be a little insistent, but the lady at the office did eventually give us a permit to camp there.

* They are very serious about the no camping part, just as they are about the "wheels must not touch the ground" for carrying bikes through the canyon.  Absolutely no rolling of wheels.  They have enforced this aggressively in the past, and any violation jeopardizes our privilege of being able to carry bikes across, so this must be strictly followed.

* There is a section of the North Kaibab trail that has washed out.  There are cones and tape around it.  It's quite exposed.  Without the rope they have bolted in across it, I am not sure I would have crossed it.  With a bike you have to turn perpendicular to the trail and walk sideways across, holding the rope.  Not a big deal unless you are afraid of heights.

* Services in Rye seemed to all be closed.  No more Rye Cafe.  The general store right where the route joins the highway was open, though.

Changes to cues:

* Stay on the AZT in Oracle State Park.  Basically, you follow AZT signs all the way from the top of Oracle Ridge to Hewitt Station Road.  There are no non-AZT miles on that stretch.

* New route off Hewitt Station Road, between Picketpost TH and Apache Junction.

* Queen Valley is a small and quirky retirement community that adds a bar/grill and convenience store to the route.  Hours are pretty much regular business hours.  This gets you to cold drinks a half hour or so faster than the old route on US60.  After rolling through the community, you go through a gate and follow a parallel powerline until jumping back on US60.  It should be fairly straightforward to follow the GPX.

* I removed the brief powerline section later on US 60 (right before Silly Mtn Road).  It wasn't worth the effort to try to find and get on it.  Once on US60, you stay on it until Silly Mtn Road.

* I also removed the last bit of trail parallel to AZ 87 going into Pine.  All of the parallel dirt before the last section is still great and in the route.  But the last descent that is full of big rocks is chopped.  Follow the GPX file, it'll have you back on the highway there.

* The only snow detour allowed for this year's 750 is on the North Rim.  There is some snow on the north side of the Peaks, but it's melting fast.  There is a GPX for the North Rim snow detour in the GPX directory if you need it.  But the detour is VERY easy: instead of following the AZT after attaining the North Rim, just take the Highway to Jacob Lake.  Then return to the AZT where it crosses HWY 89, east of Jacob Lake.

* There is potentially logging going on above Mormon Lake.  The rumor at the lodge was that everything was open, but we did not check it out.  If you're directed off the trail by signs/flagging, detour, and then return as directed, or as soon as you can.  Mormon Lake has a newly opened pizza shop, open until 6pm.  The steakhouse is closed, and the store closes at 2pm (!) for winter hours.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 01:39:57 PM by ScottM » Logged

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: AZTR 2014 Planning Reply #191 on: April 08, 2014, 11:44:35 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: April 08, 2014, 11:44:35 PM »

Bonne Chance everyone! The AZTR is definitely the bikepacking Final Exam race, as far as I'm concerned.

Topic Name: AZTR 2014 Planning Reply #192 on: April 09, 2014, 05:43:35 AM
Sean Allan

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 09, 2014, 05:43:35 AM »

Scott, thanks for all the details and your effort to get us out on the trail.

Topic Name: AZTR 2014 Planning Reply #193 on: April 09, 2014, 08:57:51 AM
mb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: April 09, 2014, 08:57:51 AM »

Good Luck all AZT Racers.  I'm bummed and relieved I'm not out there as originally planned this year.  I will be watching the dots and rooting for all of you with special interest in all the rookies, and Colorado contingent of course.  Safe travels and riding!  thumbsup

Mike 

Topic Name: AZTR 2014 Planning Reply #194 on: April 09, 2014, 01:46:08 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: April 09, 2014, 01:46:08 PM »

2014 cues are up on the route/GPX page:

http://www.topofusion.com/azt/race-route.php

Sorry about the delay on those.  I've made a number of small improvements, and then the above listed changes, too.

A few water notes (for the 750):

Water is on at Burnt Corral CG on the Apache Trail.
Water is on at Cholla Bay CG on Roosevelt Lake.
Several creeks are running along the Highline Trail.  Particularly the last one that you climb along as you head to the rim.
General Springs Creek is running, though with somewhat murky water
East Clear Creek only has shallow pools.
There are two Russell Tanks.  First you run into a metal one with the words "Russell" painted on it.  There is a small metal tank with a top that has maybe 8" of water in it, good enough to filter.  The second tank, also Russell, is a dirt stock tank and is completely dry.

Topic Name: AZTR 2014 Planning Reply #195 on: April 09, 2014, 09:58:16 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: April 09, 2014, 09:58:16 PM »

For anyone planning to pick up SPOTs from me tomorrow (Thursday) - it'll have to be in the afternoon.  The package didn't make it today, so I won't have them until ~noon tomorrow.  Get in touch with me first.

Topic Name: AZTR 2014 Planning Reply #196 on: April 10, 2014, 07:48:18 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: April 10, 2014, 07:48:18 AM »

Pre-race tacos: Anyone that's in Tucson and wants to grab some good Mexican and talk AZT:  come to Mi Ranchito (1118 W St Marys Rd.) at 1pm today.

Topic Name: AZTR 2014 Planning Reply #197 on: April 10, 2014, 09:12:13 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: April 10, 2014, 09:12:13 AM »

Also, get in touch with me if you need last minute help with logistics.  As of now I can carry two people one person + bike down to the Parker Canyon start, leaving Tucson Friday morning.  I also have floor space available tonight at my house.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 10:33:43 AM by ScottM » Logged

Topic Name: AZTR 2014 Planning Reply #198 on: April 10, 2014, 10:35:22 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: April 10, 2014, 10:35:22 AM »

I'd hoped to have more details to share but I haven't gotten everything done as yet. I want to encourage everyone that's willing to call and use the call-in line 888-866-4491. I'm working on some packages to do a drawing for all of the racers that call in this year. I've done give-aways for listeners but felt it was time to show the racers some love and maybe encourage them to call in with statuses. Many of you just drop the hammer and go and don't have time to call or simply have far more on your mind, understandable. If you do call, I plan to have 3 give packages to "draw" for and will be giving each racer an entry per call. I will do these for all races this year and draw at the end of the season. So yes, you're in contention with the TD, CTR, TransAm, TNGA, and AML. I thought it would be fun and be a way to give you a little extra incentive to let family and friends know how it's going for you out there.

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: AZTR 2014 Planning Reply #199 on: April 10, 2014, 10:50:56 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: April 10, 2014, 10:50:56 AM »

Thanks Joe.  I definitely encourage 750 riders to call in once a day.  I'll have stickers with the call-in number at Parker Lake.

Joe, trackleaders can throw in a couple free tracker rentals or private tracker adds for a bikepack race, for the raffle.  Sounds like a great idea to hear more from the racers.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: