Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #240 on: February 23, 2013, 06:10:02 AM
Holt

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: February 23, 2013, 06:10:02 AM »

I am back to geeking out for the AZT (as my wife says). I had a great time in Terlingua. Its dry, hot, & dusty, a major change from the gulf coast.  This little trip makes me even more curious about the AZT. I messed with the GPS a lot, learned a few things but still a lot to figure out. Now thats my focus for the next few weeks. This trip also made me rethink beding, it was cold at night - I know, typical for the desert.  I was thinking of no tent for AZT, now I'm sure a shell will make sleep that much better! bad sleep = shitty next day.
And food-WTF? there is a lot to figure out... I realized dry & hot makes you eat and drink

If anyone is curious what the Big Bend area is like, I made a video from some of the more casual/fun stuff. there is lots of serious riding were you don't want to drag a camera around.
Chihuahuan Desert Mountain Bike Festival] [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFzuqM1l2_c#ws]Chihuahuan Desert Mountain Bike Festival]
There is a lot of desolate single track out there. Sorry to get off topic... still amped and looking forward to more desert riding  headbang

Hello Holt, Not sure if you are anywhere near Denver area?  I was an AZT rookie last year and started my quest last year with very little knowledge of the area or use of a GPS. The AZT 300 It took me a helluva long time at 6d13h, although I finished and have a ton of lessons learned.  BTW I recently just returned to the area and spend 5 days riding the stupendous trails under much less arduous circumstances.  If you,  or any other Colorado entrants want to connect in person in Denver area sometime I'll be more than happy to share my experience and lessons learned to aid your preparations.  Cheers, Mike/quote]

Thanks Mike, I wish I was in Colorado... but I'm in Texas.

Don't know if this would help anyone but I pretty much did this race blind last April and learned a lot and wrote a lil story about it.
http://boatmansadventures.blogspot.com/2012_04_01_archive.html/quote]

Boatman, I've read most of your blog, all I can saw is wow, that's quit an adventure! I am sure this will be the hardest bike ride I have ever attempted. and makes me itch even more!

The Mutant

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #241 on: February 23, 2013, 06:45:36 AM
Holt

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 23, 2013, 06:45:36 AM »

guess that link didn't work

Chihuahuan Desert Mountain Bike Festival] [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFzuqM1l2_c#ws]Chihuahuan Desert Mountain Bike Festival
Chihuahuan Desert Mountain Bike Festival

how do you make a link with just the word - LINK? and not the big ass you tube screen
sorry to take up this much off topic space.... I will go back to reading and back off posting

The Mutant

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #242 on: February 26, 2013, 07:25:49 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: February 26, 2013, 07:25:49 AM »

It looks like you're missing the trailing [/url] after whatever words you want the hyperlink to be.

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #243 on: February 26, 2013, 07:39:57 AM
ne14cycling

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 26, 2013, 07:39:57 AM »

So whats the rough head count for 750 riders/racers for the April 19th start? icon_scratch

What's the "Over-Under"?

I'd guess "10".

Cliff

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #244 on: February 26, 2013, 10:17:26 AM
Endurance Junkie

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 26, 2013, 10:17:26 AM »

So whats the rough head count for 750 riders/racers for the April 19th start? icon_scratch

What's the "Over-Under"? Well im in!

I'd guess "10".

Cliff

Finding myself by way of bike

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #245 on: February 26, 2013, 05:24:17 PM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 26, 2013, 05:24:17 PM »

Who cares how many people are in? I know one thing- this race is so amazing it should be as more popular but let the masses ride TD and CTR!! Save the epic AZTR for the rest of us!

J/K Cliff I would say 10 is a good guess. Early favorite among the folks posting up here? Boatman has speed and route knowledge and if he doesnt goof up this time will be tough to beat.

I have finished my AZT bike bag kit. I am totally stoked with the results. No backpack!!!

* mark2013 031.JPG (37.51 KB, 448x336 - viewed 298 times.)

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #246 on: February 26, 2013, 06:04:20 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 26, 2013, 06:04:20 PM »

Who cares how many people are in? I know one thing- this race is so amazing it should be as more popular but let the masses ride TD and CTR!! Save the epic AZTR for the rest of us!

J/K Cliff I would say 10 is a good guess. Early favorite among the folks posting up here? Boatman has speed and route knowledge and if he doesnt goof up this time will be tough to beat.

I have finished my AZT bike bag kit. I am totally stoked with the results. No backpack!!!

Mark that's one extreme to the other, in 2010 you had nothing on the bike now everything. Where's the balance?

10 sounds about right there's always people who don't post. The 300 will likely be 20 plus this year.

I'll guess the AZT has too much HAB for a lot of people.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #247 on: February 26, 2013, 06:23:38 PM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 26, 2013, 06:23:38 PM »

Mark that's one extreme to the other, in 2010 you had nothing on the bike now everything. Where's the balance?

I have tried to avoid heavy backpacks before but always resorted to them. I have tried outside the races to go no backpack for 2 years but until I made this set of bags never had the right weight distribution. Now I do. It is faster for me than a backpack. I end up with too much in the backpack no matter what the intended carry. And then I couldnt find anything and had to go through the stuffed pack. Not any more. Now I have a set of bags designed to carry what I want to carry. 26 oz including the 2 Molle style 1 liter bottle holders. Over a pound lighter than a full set of bags from the major players. Tx-07 X-Pac is really light almost see through and I used zero Cordura for abrasion and limited straps and attachments.

If i had the discipline the carry a pack with only certain items/weight limit I would. I will be carrying a 12oz REI flash 18 pack stashed for the canyon portage. It may come out for an extended section to carry extra food/water but I hope to not use it until I lash wheels to it for the canyon.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #248 on: February 26, 2013, 06:48:19 PM
Endurance Junkie

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 26, 2013, 06:48:19 PM »

Sounds like someone is ready!
I'll just tie a bunch if S @#t to my bike and call it good!
See you in april.

Finding myself by way of bike

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #249 on: February 26, 2013, 08:11:14 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: February 26, 2013, 08:11:14 PM »

I was planning on the 750 but it is looking like perhaps not, after all.  A very likely but unplanned and probably unavoidable complete remodel of the shop, just as the busy season gets underway, is throwing one hell of an unexpected monkey wrench in the system.  So I might be reduced to touring the AZT sometime in early May - IF I'm lucky.

Might be best to tour it first, then race it later, anyway.  (At this point I need some sort of justification to make me feel better!)

Maybe I'm wrong and I'll be on the border come April 19th... but if not, I will shoot for a tour, and then the CTR in July!  I better be able to make the start of that one, given that it starts LITERALLY at my front door.

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #250 on: February 26, 2013, 08:16:40 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: February 26, 2013, 08:16:40 PM »

It's certainly on my radar, as April 19th just so happens to be my birthday and that sure seems to be a sign for me. It fits perfectly with my training for this summer, as I have two gravel grinders before hand, the AZT and than a few months later... The AZT will def. be "fish out of water" for me, as the only thing I've ridden close to what the AZT is, is the front range trails near home. And everything - from rocks to plants; isn't trying to kill you, here.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #251 on: February 27, 2013, 01:12:14 AM
RossC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: February 27, 2013, 01:12:14 AM »

I'll just tie a bunch if S @#t to my bike and call it good!

That's the way to roll!

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #252 on: February 27, 2013, 06:13:12 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 27, 2013, 06:13:12 AM »

I have tried to avoid heavy backpacks before but always resorted to them. I have tried outside the races to go no backpack for 2 years ............... I will be carrying a 12oz REI flash 18 pack stashed for the canyon portage. It may come out for an extended section to carry extra food/water but I hope to not use it until I lash wheels to it for the canyon.

I guess I just see the heavy bike being the burden on something like Highline. You'll have the stash pack if you want it for that section, best of luck as always.

I'll be seeing you down at the start, I am driving with Aleck (300), Max (with a bunch of S#%$ tied to his bike), and Jason.

I was planning on the 750 but it is looking like perhaps not, after all. ........, I will shoot for a tour, and then the CTR in July!  I better be able to make the start of that one, given that it starts LITERALLY at my front door.

A pre-tour would be a good idea, maybe not the whole course roads, canyon, ect. The first 300 would be good to see, I would save the Highline suffering for when Scott makes you. Everything above the Mogollon Rim to Flag and the South Rim is a great ride.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #253 on: February 27, 2013, 07:34:08 AM
ne14cycling

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 27, 2013, 07:34:08 AM »

We are winging it....by my standards....to a large degree. headbang

My friend Stan and I will be coming over from the San Diego area.  We've both raced and ridden in AZ but we have ZERO true course knowledge aside from alot of reading.  I have hiked/jogged rim2rim on two occasions - unladen.  We'll have read thru the cues 100 times by race time [I found an error or two - I think] and rely on route finding and our eTrex.  Hopefully the eTrex can hold the entire course!!!  I have a 800 but getting the eTrex as I think it will be better [run time, AA batteries and capabilities??].

We have tons of old school XC, 6-12-24 hour, 100 milers, Trans Rockies and the Stagecoach 400 race experience [Stan even has, all be it motorized, Baja 1000 experience].

It will be an adventure just to finish the AZT 750.  Prepared for the worst - hoping for the best in regards to the weather.

Will be thinking alot about my good Friend and former teamate Mark Reynolds who was killed by a mountain lion several years ago out here in Orange County while riding his mountain bike [fixing his broken chain].  RIP MJR

Be safe
Finish
Beer
Retire?

Cliff

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #254 on: February 28, 2013, 07:33:26 AM
Holt

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 28, 2013, 07:33:26 AM »

300 for me. 0-experence with mulit-days other than a few short stage races. of-course there is a nice room and real food when you are finished. But hey, gota start somewhere. I'm envious you guys doing the 750

Will be thinking alot about my good Friend and former teamate Mark Reynolds who was killed by a mountain lion several years ago out here in Orange County while riding his mountain bike [fixing his broken chain].  RIP MJR

Cliff, if I remember correctly, Mark was from Houston? and moved out there in the 90s I believe he was friends with some of the guys I first started riding with.  RIP

The Mutant

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #255 on: February 28, 2013, 02:55:43 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: February 28, 2013, 02:55:43 PM »

Hey Tucson peeps, got a question for you for a friend of mine who is taking eight students on the AZT from I-10 to Superior.  What's the snow like on Oracle Ridge right now?  I was down there for 24HITOP and it looked pretty damn snowy up there to me, and I know you got snow afterwards.  I told him it's probably out, but he's really wanting to ride the ridge, so - what's current?

Also, if they take the Redington Pass detour to the San Pedro valley and back up to Oracle, what's the beta on water supply on the detour?  They are going to be doing short days - about 30-40 miles, so keep that pace in mind.

Any help would be super appreciated!  Oh, by the way, they're leaving tomorrow afternoon.  Wink

www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #256 on: February 28, 2013, 04:26:06 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 28, 2013, 04:26:06 PM »

I should think there's too much snow for the trail. I would just go up and over in a day using the Control road. That should be plenty if not they can climb back up in several places.

Really the whole ridge is brutal anyway. The old guide maps had you skip the "Traverse O Death" by dropping down to the Control road and then climb back up Peppersauce.

Going way out Redington would be a lot of work I think.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #257 on: March 01, 2013, 09:38:39 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: March 01, 2013, 09:38:39 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I let him know and wished him luck with the eight students in tow!  Should be a sweet trip, can't wait to hear all about it and see some photos.

www.bedrockbags.com

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #258 on: March 02, 2013, 08:13:36 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 02, 2013, 08:13:36 AM »

Hey everyone Tanner (tanman1337) just told me he is out of the race due to a serious skydiving accident at work yesterday. Broken femur. tibia and torn ACL at least.  He was really excited to do the race and now is pretty bummed out. Send him some good vibes.

* azt750plusextra2012 166.1.jpg (159.04 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 187 times.)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 11:02:01 AM by dream4est » Logged

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #259 on: March 02, 2013, 08:27:03 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 02, 2013, 08:27:03 AM »

Man that's a bummer, get well soon and back on the trail the AZT will still be there.
  Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: