Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #320 on: March 16, 2013, 11:02:06 AM
windowace

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 16, 2013, 11:02:06 AM »

Tanner,

I feel for you brother!  This will sound a little out there but whenever I am trying to heal from something I try and visualize the actual repair.  Pick a visual that works for you. Something like little workers in your blood stream that get carried to your injury and and start putting up brick and mortar on your breaks, and some more little guys that are in there working out and cleaning up inflammation and carrying it away. This isn't an all the time process, just here and there when you find yourself thinking about your injury, try and make it a positive visualization.  It may or not be the same but it seems relative. I just read an article which indicated that during weight lifting, actively concentrating on the specific muscles being used caused up to 26% more muscle fibers to activate then when just going through the motion.  I believe and feel our bodies are responsive in ways we are often not aware of, and they are amazing creations. As an added bonus i will send some of my psychic energy your way!  Heal well.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #321 on: March 16, 2013, 11:14:59 AM
tanman1337

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 16, 2013, 11:14:59 AM »

Thank you very much. I too believe that our bodies are absolutely amazing. Throughout my skydiving and racing career I have definitely used visualization all the time. I remember reading a study about people that would meditate and visualize every turn and part of a race or something they were about to do and the brain cannot tell the difference between if you are actually doing it or just visualizing. It was a pretty cool article anyway. Anyways, didn't want to take up so much room of the pre-race forum... I'm sure there are a lot more important things that people will need to be writing about. Approaching the 1 month mark here in a few days. I just wanted to wish you all good luck and I'm really hoping the weather holds out for you guys and doesn't get too hot. I will definitely be watching you all and wishing the best. I will still have a few of my guys coming up from Yuma who I ride with all the time, so give em some sh*t for me lol. Good luck and more importantly have fun!

-Tanner

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #322 on: March 16, 2013, 06:43:03 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 16, 2013, 06:43:03 PM »

Actually it's a pretty interesting topic. And if people don't have it together by now they better start getting it. Sounds like the shuttles are coming together looks like Ray has the big one out of Phx with an actual bike trailer.

So I have been hearing about and using visualization for years, but never thought or heard of it used internally, until recently.

The first thing I found to read about visualization was in a book from I think 58. It was just a small section of a huge book about the Soviet Union. The passage explained how they used visualization for their Olympic training. Athletes were required to spend more time thinking about their event then actually working out. Also they were required to sleep a lot.

It definitely helped my climbing back then.   

Can I use visualization to mend my worn out parts.

I recently came across the Dan Brown book Symbols. There was just a brief mention of yogis who could heal themselves by visualization.

Curious.

Tim 

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #323 on: March 20, 2013, 09:30:28 PM
B_Bock

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 20, 2013, 09:30:28 PM »

What are you guys using for lights? I'm trying to figure out my light set up for the 750. I'm thinking that I need something more powerful than what I used in the TDR (fenix flash light). Maybe a combination of the fenix and a rechargeable light?

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #324 on: March 21, 2013, 01:05:57 AM
RossC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: March 21, 2013, 01:05:57 AM »

I'll be running a dynamo bar light and a DIY 4xAA powered helmet light. I get about 10 hours out of the helmet light at 200(ish) lumens.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #325 on: March 21, 2013, 08:10:41 AM
lukejay

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 21, 2013, 08:10:41 AM »

Im running a small (300 lumen) rechargable handlebar light and a 90 lumen headlamp (batteries).

Question:  i am planning on just doing tablets for water (and coffee filters) anyone think thats a terrible choice?

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #326 on: March 21, 2013, 08:18:44 AM
tanman1337

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 21, 2013, 08:18:44 AM »

I was going to be running dual MAKO lights on the handlebars. They each last right at the 6 hour mark on lith AA and put out around 250 lumens. This was Jill's setup I believe last year and she liked it, if I'm not mistaken. I ended up buying a LED Lenser light from Australia that also ran off AA's and it lasts right at 6 hours as well on lith AA's and there is absolutely no dark spot in it's flood pattern or spotlight. It is pretty amazing. It's definitely worth checking out. It's a little bulky and I would say that is it's only downside. It's not heavy just bulky. I just got on their website as I was writing this and it looks as though they have even more options than when I bought mine.

http://www.ledlenser.com

-Tanner

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #327 on: March 21, 2013, 08:46:21 AM
Gimmearaise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: March 21, 2013, 08:46:21 AM »

Im running a small (300 lumen) rechargable handlebar light and a 90 lumen headlamp (batteries).

Question:  i am planning on just doing tablets for water (and coffee filters) anyone think thats a terrible choice?

No, I'm using aquamira, and I'm not worried! I did not however think of a coffee filter to get se of the chinks out good call. Do we know if all the spigots on the water list will be turned on?

I'm using 2 Fenix Ld 20's.

Neil

WWW.BikepackingSummit.com

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #328 on: March 21, 2013, 08:51:11 AM
chongoman

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 21, 2013, 08:51:11 AM »

Very excited for my first go at the 300.
question: I'd love for my wife and kids to be able to watch my progress on Track Leaders. I have my own Spot. What needs to be done to connect my Spot to that site?

Thanks, Bob

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #329 on: March 21, 2013, 10:33:24 AM
Stevland

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 21, 2013, 10:33:24 AM »

http://trackleaders.com/aztr-signup

Select private owned and pay the man

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #330 on: March 21, 2013, 10:57:11 AM
chongoman

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: March 21, 2013, 10:57:11 AM »

http://trackleaders.com/aztr-signup

Select private owned and pay the man

Will do. Thanks!

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #331 on: March 21, 2013, 11:00:36 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #331 on: March 21, 2013, 11:00:36 AM »

Thanks Stevland.

I may upgrade my Fenix, but have always used a Fenix LD20 on the bars and EOS on the helmet.  It works for me, but I seem to be able to run on the lower side of light and be happy.  I've carried some bigger guns in the past but haven't found them to be worth it.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #332 on: March 21, 2013, 11:04:28 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: March 21, 2013, 11:04:28 AM »

It's time to talk about the elephant in the room.... tires.

That was last year.

Rampages are the generally accepted proof against sidewall tears on the AZT, but they aren't light, or fast.  So far the quest for a ~2.2, strong sidewall but ~fast rolling semi-aggressive tire seems to have come up fruitless.  Anyone got any favorites?  What are you planning to run?

I am thinking Rampage front, and... hopefully something like what I just described above in the rear.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #333 on: March 21, 2013, 11:13:36 AM
tanman1337

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 21, 2013, 11:13:36 AM »

Have you tried out the new Small Block SCT 29'ers? The side walls feel much thicker than the Rampages, only 2.1 but much faster rolling speed and they have been bomb proof with the riding I was doing with them. They are also lighter than the Rampages. I think they come in around 720 grams. I really really like them and I think a Rampage up front with a Small Block rear wouldn't be bad as far as air volume since the front 2.3 would dampen a lot of the shock and the rear would keep the speed up. You might want to check out their sidewalls if you haven't felt them. I believe the 29'er version only came out about 6-10 months ago

-Tanner

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #334 on: March 21, 2013, 11:22:46 AM
raybum

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 21, 2013, 11:22:46 AM »

It's too bad someone hasn't come up with a test method for cut resistance and tested a bunch of tires with it for a fair comparison.  Marketing departments love to use terms like "protection" and "exo" etc, but I often wonder, if those tire design features that we are paying for are actually improving cut resistance a perceptible amount.  People get turned of on certain tires after they get a cut or two, but there are just so many variables that factor into it (air pressure, rider weight, terrain, etc).
All that being said, for me in this years 300...
Front: Panaracer Rampage (Arguably the best trail tire on front)
Rear: Either, conti x-king w/ protection (still evaluating), Michelin wild racer (wore 5 of these out w/o a slice, but the new design I believe is not as robust since I've cut a few), WTB Bronson (700 gram tire), or finally, a 1/2 worn out Rampage (they're only 700g's when worn!).
In any case, you'll bet I'll be carrying dental floss, a curved needle, superglue, rubber cement, auto patches, and gorilla tape.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #335 on: March 21, 2013, 12:33:37 PM
Stevland

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 21, 2013, 12:33:37 PM »

I wouldn't go with the X-King Protection. RJ put a 3inch slice in his Saturday at PP, down the sidewall into the tread. The boot barely covered it.
Was considering Rampages F&R. Leaning more towards the wire bead Saguaros. Not my favorite on the front for some AZT sections I've ridden, but I know what to expect.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #336 on: March 21, 2013, 12:34:56 PM
Gimmearaise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: March 21, 2013, 12:34:56 PM »

I agree a test would be great, but yes too many tires. I'm usiing maxxis icon exo's. the reason I'm using these is because of a side wall slash that I got on the tire. Because of the exo sidewall it only ripped into the first layer. It has not spread at all with 330 miles of riding after the slice. I used the conti x-kings and was super disappointed with the side walls. Maybe mine were faulty but I wore mine down so much my Stan's ran out and it still went flat. I'm very excited to see how the icons hold up in zona!

WWW.BikepackingSummit.com

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #337 on: March 21, 2013, 02:22:12 PM
tanman1337

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 21, 2013, 02:22:12 PM »

I wasn't a huge fan of the x-kings I tried. I got a 2 inch slice in the sidewall the very first day I put them on my El Mariachi. I rode the whole 300 last year with Rampages F&R with zero tire issues the entire race. They were a bit slow, but I was thinking of doing it again this year. I really like the TNT Saguaros, but they are super hard to get on and off my Stan's arches. But for the rolling resistance and weight I def think that Rampage F and something smaller in the rear. Be careful using a worn out Rampage for the rear. Although mine lasted the whole 300, they were very chewed up at the end. I started with a brand new pair too.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #338 on: March 21, 2013, 02:37:27 PM
chongoman

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 21, 2013, 02:37:27 PM »

The Specialized Grid UST tires have thickest feeling sidewalls and the best rolling tread pattern I have found. I've been using Rampages for about 2 years and they have held up well, but the sidewalls are not strong enough for the tire weight IMO. I was not repairing the side walls on the Rampages as often as I did when using Saguaro TNTs, but I still sliced too often. Most of my riding has been all over South Mountain, the Central AZT, Phoenix Mountains (which has been the worst place for tire carnage for me, interestingly).

Often UST tires are not compatible with Stans Arch rims, but I put the Specialized tires on the other day and they went on easily and nicely. No sealant was needed to get the beads to set, although I added some an hour later after I could see that there were not leaks at the rim. I'll be taking long rides this weekend and will see how they perform.

They are not lighter than the Rampages (the Captain Grid 2.2, my new rear tire, is 950g and the Ground Control Grid 2.3, my new front tire, is 930g, compared to the 825g Rampages). So I will go up .5 lbs in rotational weight, but have already noticed a significant improvement in rolling resistance. I ride the roads to most of my rides and the block Rampages have been a drag (pun intended). I am going to give these a try for the next few weeks, and likely will ride them on the 19th.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #339 on: March 21, 2013, 02:39:16 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #339 on: March 21, 2013, 02:39:16 PM »

Maxxis EXO!  Ardent 2.4 front, Ignitor 2.1 rear for me.  Awesome, never any sidewall problems ever personally or on customers' bikes.

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.
  Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: