Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 29
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #220 on: February 11, 2013, 08:58:42 AM
Holt

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 11, 2013, 08:58:42 AM »

Tim, thanks for the help. It is real nice to have someone who helps. I'm into 4X4s also and the forums for those guys suck. Everyone gets off on making you feel stupid for asking questions.
I got a membership at ATA and looked at their topo map and realized what I'm looking at is off. The map I got from GPS files has the trail southwest (through town) out of Patagonia.
I will get this - just glad I am working on it early...

The Mutant

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #221 on: February 11, 2013, 11:11:17 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 11, 2013, 11:11:17 AM »

Yeah we used to go that way it is more dirt that way. Back then there wasn't as much trail to ride. Now that there is more trail it makes sense to have the pavement from Patagonia to Sonoita.

Also remember that the ATA stuff always follow the course. Their MTB data book has more trail then race course.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #222 on: February 11, 2013, 08:52:14 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: February 11, 2013, 08:52:14 PM »

Not sure if I should post here or not? I have only posted a few times (FNG thread a wile back) so I am just going to jump in here. Im a little concerned about following a trail that is not marked, in a state I have never been to, and never used a GPS.

I have started teaching myself how to use a GPS (I am technology challenged!) I bought a Garmin etrex 20 last night. I am working on a Mac, so no Topofusion. I loaded AZTopo form GPSfiles into base camp. I have been following the AZT trying to get a feel for what I am getting myself into...

This is what I can make out as of now, is it correct?
The trail at Parker Lake is listed as "AZT-TUC-Mntzma"? easy to follow into Patagonia.
Then is looks like it follows a FS road all the way into/through Coronado NF? runs along some other trails - Elephant Head? it seams to follow a lot of FS roads until it runs along Sonoita Hwy. then I see another trail marked as AZT 2007? this is just before I-10

I stopped at this point to ask you all and go back and reread last years clues. Maybe it is just the way the map looks... but I got to ask, does a lot of the trail follow FS roads? Up to I-10?

Anyone ever ride in the Big Bend area of TX? I am going out there this week to the MTB festival. I have been going out there every year for the last 15-20 years... Love it! I will test out the GPS and other equipment. 3 days in the desert - cant wait. I have to guess the AZT will be very similar?

Big Bend is similar to AZT --following a GPS track there will be very realistic practice

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #223 on: February 12, 2013, 02:44:19 PM
Gimmearaise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: February 12, 2013, 02:44:19 PM »

are there any changes from the 2012 gpx file for the 300 this year?

WWW.BikepackingSummit.com

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #224 on: February 12, 2013, 02:51:44 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 12, 2013, 02:51:44 PM »

One small change on the south side of Tucson.

Should make things easier to navigate, just stay on the single track until the AZT becomes a two track.

Where the AZT heads into the Park it is signed no bikes.

At that point staying on the old two track is straight ahead so you would have to intentionally turn off.

The turn off onto the dirt road, last 2 years course, was easy to miss. So this new way should be better. A little longer but more sweet single track.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #225 on: February 12, 2013, 06:43:47 PM
mb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: February 12, 2013, 06:43:47 PM »

Not sure if I should post here or not? I have only posted a few times (FNG thread a wile back) so I am just going to jump in here. Im a little concerned about following a trail that is not marked, in a state I have never been to, and never used a GPS.

I have started teaching myself how to use a GPS (I am technology challenged!) I bought a Garmin etrex 20 last night. I am working on a Mac, so no Topofusion. I loaded AZTopo form GPSfiles into base camp. I have been following the AZT trying to get a feel for what I am getting myself into...

This is what I can make out as of now, is it correct?
The trail at Parker Lake is listed as "AZT-TUC-Mntzma"? easy to follow into Patagonia.
Then is looks like it follows a FS road all the way into/through Coronado NF? runs along some other trails - Elephant Head? it seams to follow a lot of FS roads until it runs along Sonoita Hwy. then I see another trail marked as AZT 2007? this is just before I-10

I stopped at this point to ask you all and go back and reread last years clues. Maybe it is just the way the map looks... but I got to ask, does a lot of the trail follow FS roads? Up to I-10?

Anyone ever ride in the Big Bend area of TX? I am going out there this week to the MTB festival. I have been going out there every year for the last 15-20 years... Love it! I will test out the GPS and other equipment. 3 days in the desert - cant wait. I have to guess the AZT will be very similar?

Hello Holt, Not sure if you are anywhere near Denver area?  I was an AZT rookie last year and started my quest last year with very little knowledge of the area or use of a GPS. The AZT 300 It took me a helluva long time at 6d13h, although I finished and have a ton of lessons learned.  BTW I recently just returned to the area and spend 5 days riding the stupendous trails under much less arduous circumstances.  If you,  or any other Colorado entrants want to connect in person in Denver area sometime I'll be more than happy to share my experience and lessons learned to aid your preparations.  Cheers, Mike

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #226 on: February 12, 2013, 08:28:59 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: February 12, 2013, 08:28:59 PM »

One small change on the south side of Tucson.

Should make things easier to navigate, just stay on the single track until the AZT becomes a two track.

Where the AZT heads into the Park it is signed no bikes.

At that point staying on the old two track is straight ahead so you would have to intentionally turn off.

The turn off onto the dirt road, last 2 years course, was easy to miss. So this new way should be better. A little longer but more sweet single track.

Yep, thanks Tim.  That's the only change I can think of right now.  Until it's published it's still subject to change, but I think everything else will remain the same.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #227 on: February 17, 2013, 07:57:36 PM
boatmana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: February 17, 2013, 07:57:36 PM »

Super stoked for the race this year.  Glad to see so much talk about the race.  I'm more than happy to help anyone from Havasu (or area) get to the race start, and I promise Scott I wont sleep on your floor the night before. 

Don't know if this would help anyone but I pretty much did this race blind last April and learned a lot and wrote a lil story about it.
http://boatmansadventures.blogspot.com/2012_04_01_archive.html

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #228 on: February 18, 2013, 08:13:46 PM
Bsimpson

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 18, 2013, 08:13:46 PM »

Trying to figure out the best way logistically to start the race.  Planning to fly into Phoenix and catch a shuttle to Flagstaff (have a friend there).  From there I can rent a car or hopefully carpool with someone.  I'd also be work with someone else who has a car to do a shuttle for the beginning and end.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #229 on: February 18, 2013, 10:34:30 PM
windowace

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 18, 2013, 10:34:30 PM »

Here is a little mental exercise for you riders who have ridden the 300 several times.  Assuming a 72-80 hr finish time, could/would you propose an itinerary for riding certain areas at certain times of the day for the most dramatic effect.  Like, push a little further in the dark so that you ride a certain section for sunrise, or ride more/less in the dark to be in a better more dramatic spot in the light.  Or are there any areas you would highly recommend riding in the light if it just means shuffling sleeping and riding hours? Conversely, which areas may as well be ridden/walked at night with no loss of speed/viewing pleasure. The likelihood of me adhering to any specific schedule is almost nil, but it may give me me a short term daily goal.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #230 on: February 19, 2013, 08:59:12 AM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: February 19, 2013, 08:59:12 AM »

Here is a little mental exercise for you riders who have ridden the 300 several times.  Assuming a 72-80 hr finish time, could/would you propose an itinerary for riding certain areas at certain times of the day for the most dramatic effect.  Like, push a little further in the dark so that you ride a certain section for sunrise, or ride more/less in the dark to be in a better more dramatic spot in the light.  Or are there any areas you would highly recommend riding in the light if it just means shuffling sleeping and riding hours? Conversely, which areas may as well be ridden/walked at night with no loss of speed/viewing pleasure. The likelihood of me adhering to any specific schedule is almost nil, but it may give me me a short term daily goal.

Way way too many variables to give easy/pat answers to your question.  However I would consider the trail from I-10 crossing to the right hand turn off Redington Rd to be less interesting that the rest of the 300 route. (note: there is some fun flowing single track before/after Colossal Cave but this particular ST  would be equally fun at night). Basically this section is urban, ie: it does not have that classic desert solitude feel like most of route. 
Just about any other area will be great for sunrise or sunset.  One of the most enjoyable things about the 300 (or 750) is riding across the lonely desert in the fading light.  And starting out each cold & chilly morning to see/feel the sun come up to meet you.
Also--It’s not a big deal in good weather-- but if bad -try to avoid camping in the upper elevations of Mt Lemmon

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #231 on: February 19, 2013, 10:03:15 AM
windowace

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 19, 2013, 10:03:15 AM »

Thanks Marshal.  I completely understand the too many variables aspect. Itinerary is probably not the best word.  Perhaps someone has had a particularly memorable sunrise sunset moment they would care to relate.  Just curious because of my experience last year.  I attempted an ITT a couple of weeks before the group start and had an interesting outing.  I had a good ride from Parker Canyon to Patagonia where I proceeded to eat too much pizza and sit for a little too long.  On my way up the road to Sonoita the wind picked up and my body started to kind of shut down.  I got onto the dirt road just north of Sonoita and headed in to a b***h of a headwind, while my body was revolting.   I ended up pulling over and laying down for a couple of hours, out of the wind, next to a windmill tank. When I finally got up and moving again the light was starting to fade.  I ended up riding the flume trail in the dark, which was really nice, although I am wondering if I could have made it in the daylight.  I continued on to about mile 80 before i sacked out feeling pretty crappy.  I kind of slept (i was cold) until daylight when I got up.  The morning was gorgeous and started out with a nice downhill into a sweet smooth track through scrubby trees and grasses along a stream bed.  I had a strong morning and was feeling good about getting to Colossal Cave about 1pm, where I pretty much ended up pulling the plug because of GPS  and off route family matters.  The camping spot for that first night turned out to be the perfect place to start the next day, although maybe it was just because I had gotten through whatever was mucking me up the night before.  Sorry for this post guys, the fact that I bailed last year has been on my shoulder for the last year and I am really amped to taking another run at it in.  So I think I am just making conversation because I am excited about April 19.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #232 on: February 19, 2013, 01:13:16 PM
RossC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: February 19, 2013, 01:13:16 PM »

That's cool, people feeding off each others excitement is probably what this thread needs now. It's all been a little academic so far. What it needs is more of this  occasion14 hello2 notworthy bootyshake headbang thumbsup

If anyone out there has some pictures from the route they've been thinking about throwing in here, now would be a great time!

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #233 on: February 19, 2013, 01:42:48 PM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 19, 2013, 01:42:48 PM »

2012. 1st one is Highline Trail. Second is entering big ditch. Third is backside of San Fran? peaks after Flagstaff.

2 months to go for 2013. I am finishing off a set of X-Pac bags right now at work (slow day in cream sales). Super excited here for AZT750 #3!!!

* azt 750 2012 176.1.jpg (32.95 KB, 448x336 - viewed 228 times.)

* azt 750 2012 292.1.jpg (30.38 KB, 448x336 - viewed 223 times.)

* azt 750 2012 264.1.jpg (34.74 KB, 336x448 - viewed 226 times.)

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #234 on: February 19, 2013, 07:15:13 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: February 19, 2013, 07:15:13 PM »

2012. 1st one is Highline Trail. Second is entering big ditch. Third is backside of San Fran? peaks after Flagstaff.

2 months to go for 2013. I am finishing off a set of X-Pac bags right now at work (slow day in cream sales). Super excited here for AZT750 #3!!!

ah yes a smooth section of the Highline..........

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #235 on: February 21, 2013, 09:47:28 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: February 21, 2013, 09:47:28 PM »

Tanner,
Sorry for the delay, but I checked my PC and I have ALL the pocket maps.  thumbsup I uploaded them here, let me know if you have any issues.

-John

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #236 on: February 22, 2013, 04:33:34 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 22, 2013, 04:33:34 AM »

Tanner,
Sorry for the delay, but I checked my PC and I have ALL the pocket maps.  thumbsup I uploaded them here, let me know if you have any issues.

-John

John thanks for posting those. They're a bit out of date, guessing that's why the ATA pulled them.

I think if I were going to use up that much ink on paper maps I would just print them, from TopoFusion, with the actual course on them. Rather then the hiker route with parts of the bike route covered up.

The ATA is now pushing a CD set of the same topo maps, up to date of course. The down side is they are fixed and can't be updated each year.

To me it makes more sense to use the export view feature in Topofusion to create a custom map set.

This one shows the new Hope Camp route in red last years route in green and the hiker route cutting off in blue dashes.

* New Route at Hope Camp.jpg (170.48 KB, 1360x608 - viewed 195 times.)

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #237 on: February 22, 2013, 06:16:08 PM
RossC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: February 22, 2013, 06:16:08 PM »

Bugs? Most campsite photos I see are a neoair and a sleeping bag in the dirt. I'm assuming with such little standing water that bugs and therefore mosquito nets aren't required?

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #238 on: February 22, 2013, 11:17:54 PM
windowace

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 22, 2013, 11:17:54 PM »

The great wide open in the Canelo Hills and a desert denizen thumbsup

* AZT 145 021.JPG (229.65 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 176 times.)

* AZT 145 019.JPG (240.47 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 167 times.)

* AZT 145 001.JPG (113.03 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 174 times.)

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #239 on: February 23, 2013, 03:38:33 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 23, 2013, 03:38:33 AM »

Bugs? Most campsite photos I see are a neoair and a sleeping bag in the dirt. I'm assuming with such little standing water that bugs and therefore mosquito nets aren't required?

There can be mosquito's here but usually not that bad. Not much standing water in the South a little bit more up North.

Not sure if any of the racers have had issues, seems like the race is fairly early in the season.

My REI bivy had a bug screen but after years on not using it I finally butchered the thing into just a ground sheet.

Of course the next race I went to was the Apache 200 and the start/finish campsite was right on a ditch full of water. That was a fall event and we even had a few in the next camp that was much drier.
  Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 29
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: