Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 29
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #200 on: January 30, 2013, 11:18:24 AM
Stevland

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 30, 2013, 11:18:24 AM »

I have been hearing a lot of talk about all of the Specialized tires so far this race season...especially about the Renegade Control and Ground Control. Anyone roll with these? I ran two Rampages last year with no issues other than losing air through the sidewalls. I had to pump both of them up every morning, but nothing too bad. This year I was thinking about running a Saguaro TNT rear and Rampage front. But...yesterday I was just privileged to feel the sidewalls of the new Small Block 8 29" DCT SCT! I used to love running the 26" UST version of the Small Block and never had one issue with them and they are super fast rollers. IMO the 29" DCT SCT version of the Small Block 8 kicks the crap out of the TNT Saguaro sidewall thickness and the tire comes in right at 700 grams.

So my thoughts are trying out the Small Block 8 DCT SCT for a ton of rough desert miles on the rear with Rampage or a 2.3 Control up front for the next few months and decide if I want to go with this combo or back to double Rampages... Let me know what you think? Has anyone any other great ideas for a large volume tire for the front?

I'm glad to hear Kenda finnnally got around to making a (maybe) desert-friendly version of the SB8. I just question how well it's gonna hold on the loose stuff. Love those things on hardpack.
Do you notice a lot of difference between a 2.3 and a 2.2?

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #201 on: January 30, 2013, 11:36:35 AM
windowace

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 30, 2013, 11:36:35 AM »

Ross,
Yes. Tucson is the closest international airport to the start. About 2 hrs by car.  You could probably fly in to Phoenix for less but then you would have another 2ish hrs from there. I will be having my brother or sister (both live in Tucson) drive with me to the 300 start in my vehicle so they can take it back. I should have room for a couple of people if you or someone else needs a ride from Tucson.   I expect to arrive in Tucson on the 17th and might be able to provide a little support to others coming from abroad.  I may even be able to wrangle a place to sleep for a night or two for someone.  I can't commit to that though, I haven't asked my siblings yet.  Anyone interested could email me direct at windowace@comcast.net.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #202 on: January 30, 2013, 02:05:47 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: January 30, 2013, 02:05:47 PM »

Hey AZTers,

I'm putting on an informal training camp, timed well for AZT big ride prep and also course recon.  3 days and 3 big loops near Tucson. 

March 22-24.  Details here:

http://topofusion.com/camptucson.php

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #203 on: January 30, 2013, 10:23:39 PM
the tortoise

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 30, 2013, 10:23:39 PM »

Looks great!
All these "free" bikepacking events are going to drive me to the poor house! BangHead

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #204 on: January 30, 2013, 11:19:57 PM
windowace

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 30, 2013, 11:19:57 PM »

I'm thinking,  you are riding there....yey!

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #205 on: January 31, 2013, 06:57:25 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: January 31, 2013, 06:57:25 AM »

Looks great!
All these "free" bikepacking events are going to drive me to the poor house! BangHead

Right, but we didn't get into bikes and bikepacking to save money...

Smiley

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #206 on: January 31, 2013, 07:03:15 AM
Gimmearaise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: January 31, 2013, 07:03:15 AM »

Right, I consider it all pretty darn expensive! Just a whole different ball game!

WWW.BikepackingSummit.com

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #207 on: January 31, 2013, 07:10:02 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: January 31, 2013, 07:10:02 AM »

Right, I consider it all pretty darn expensive! Just a whole different ball game!

I consider it darn cheap for all it gives back!  It just doesn't *save* money.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #208 on: January 31, 2013, 09:10:40 AM
windowace

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 31, 2013, 09:10:40 AM »

Good day,

Couple of things.
1)I have a spot locator.  I assume there will be tracking.  If true, what do I need to do to 'register' my spot for the trackleaders site?

2) One little tip for folks who haven't ridden in an area with prickly things like those cute teddy bear cholla (cactus).  It's a good idea to have a comb or pick for cactus removal from yourself or another.  For the pros, two sticks will work but I have seen some funny/tragic incidences where a cactus ball/segment was flicked off one part of the body and stuck into another, using a hair pick gives you a bit more control. Slide the teeth of the comb/pick between you and the cactus and pull. A small par of pliers is handy too - spines in tires or yourself.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #209 on: January 31, 2013, 09:46:06 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: January 31, 2013, 09:46:06 AM »

G'day.

1 - Tracking signup details will be posted as the event gets closer.  There's a small fee to be added to the map for owners of SPOTs.  Rentals will be available, too.
2 - Good tip.  I've used sticks and rocks, but it's hard to do that if the cholla is in one of your hands...

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #210 on: January 31, 2013, 10:23:19 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 31, 2013, 10:23:19 AM »

I spent all of my money on bikes and bikepacking the rest I just wasted on stupid stuff like rent.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #211 on: February 04, 2013, 03:17:07 AM
RossC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: February 04, 2013, 03:17:07 AM »

My flight are booked. Woot!

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #212 on: February 07, 2013, 01:02:31 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: February 07, 2013, 01:02:31 PM »

Hey quick question for anyone. Last year I was able to print off Pocket Maps from the ATA website. They aren't very detailed, probably about 1:180,000 but they working great as an overview of the course to print off and have with the map cues & GPS. I can't find the pocket maps anywhere now! All I have is the ATA Topo CD and these maps are wayyyyy too detailed to print out all of them. I'm wondering if anyone has a solution to this or still has the pocket maps to share for the whole 750? I really want a good hard copy of overview maps that actually show the AZT like the pocket maps did rather than an atlas

Hey Tanner,
I may have all the pocket maps on my PC, I'll check when I get home tonight. I'm pretty sure I downloaded all of the maps that were posted on the AZT site last year.

I can't wait to get to Parker Canyon Lake this year!!

-John

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #213 on: February 08, 2013, 10:56:57 AM
ne14cycling

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 08, 2013, 10:56:57 AM »

Ross,

When it comes time - have a safe flight mate  thumbsup

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #214 on: February 10, 2013, 06:57:42 PM
Holt

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 10, 2013, 06:57:42 PM »

Not sure if I should post here or not? I have only posted a few times (FNG thread a wile back) so I am just going to jump in here. Im a little concerned about following a trail that is not marked, in a state I have never been to, and never used a GPS.

I have started teaching myself how to use a GPS (I am technology challenged!) I bought a Garmin etrex 20 last night. I am working on a Mac, so no Topofusion. I loaded AZTopo form GPSfiles into base camp. I have been following the AZT trying to get a feel for what I am getting myself into...

This is what I can make out as of now, is it correct?
The trail at Parker Lake is listed as "AZT-TUC-Mntzma"? easy to follow into Patagonia.
Then is looks like it follows a FS road all the way into/through Coronado NF? runs along some other trails - Elephant Head? it seams to follow a lot of FS roads until it runs along Sonoita Hwy. then I see another trail marked as AZT 2007? this is just before I-10

I stopped at this point to ask you all and go back and reread last years clues. Maybe it is just the way the map looks... but I got to ask, does a lot of the trail follow FS roads? Up to I-10?

Anyone ever ride in the Big Bend area of TX? I am going out there this week to the MTB festival. I have been going out there every year for the last 15-20 years... Love it! I will test out the GPS and other equipment. 3 days in the desert - cant wait. I have to guess the AZT will be very similar?

The Mutant

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #215 on: February 11, 2013, 06:20:37 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 11, 2013, 06:20:37 AM »

OK first you need to go here http://www.topofusion.com/azt/race-route.php

Down load the track for last years course that's at least closer.

Read the tutorial http://topofusion.com/tutorials/uploading-tracks.php

You'll get this figured out, there's still plenty of time. Well 67 days or so.

I am not fully up to speed on the new etrex line but base maps are different then the course track.

Your base maps very depending on units and what you can put in them. My older etrex only takes simple base maps that are a reproduction of a topographical map. Garmin sold the whole US as a CD set, or there are free versions on line.

Your new unit has more options, you can down load actual maps that have been scanned.

It sounds to me like you somehow found a base map that has an older version of the race.

The current course is nothing like the 07-10 course. We haven't done Elephant Head since 2010.

AZ is nothing like Texas, except for the cows and cowboys, the AZT tho is a marked trail. There are carsonite post with arrows along the way for the most part. They can fall down tho, so watch your track, there are also immigrant trails so watch your track.

The first Passage into Patagonia isn't that hard to follow anymore but it's still a tough section. From Patagonia we go north now into Sonoita then turn west to rejoin the trail sooner. Back in 07 there was a big section of the AZT missing.

There's a lot more single track now then there was back in 07, back then the course north of Oracle had a huge section of dirt road south of the Gila. Now you just stay on the AZT the whole way.

Here's a practice task for you. Go ride with the unit on and with tracking on. You should see a colored line laying down behind you. After the ride load the track into any mapping program. One tip when you fire up the unit to use it with the Mac, find "use with GPS off" and click it. Once you have saved the active track into the mapping program delete it from the GPS. Then rename the track and save it back into the unit in saved tracks, there are should be a check box to show the track on your map. You can also change the color of the track in the unit. Then go and do the ride again, watching the track. Also make sure you are still tracking yourself live. Make sure that the track you are laying down is a different color then the track you are following.

Hope all of that makes sense and helps.

Tim
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 06:32:04 AM by AZTtripper » Logged

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #216 on: February 11, 2013, 06:27:42 AM
ne14cycling

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 11, 2013, 06:27:42 AM »

TIM,

Your responses to the questions of others don't go unread by the newbies like me  headbang

Thanks for your efforts.

Cliff

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #217 on: February 11, 2013, 06:40:19 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 11, 2013, 06:40:19 AM »

TIM,

Your responses to the questions of others don't go unread by the newbies like me  headbang

Thanks for your efforts.

Cliff

Cliff, your welcome.

It's great to see riders of all abilities riding and finishing the trail.

Also note that there will be a change for this years course so make sure you have the 2013 track in the end.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #218 on: February 11, 2013, 06:44:38 AM
ne14cycling

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 11, 2013, 06:44:38 AM »

Cliff, your welcome.

It's great to see riders of all abilities riding and finishing the trail.

Also note that there will be a change for this years course so make sure you have the 2013 track in the end.

The TopoFusion link indicates "2012".  I trust this it thee page for the latest gpx regardless.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Planning Reply #219 on: February 11, 2013, 08:33:55 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 11, 2013, 08:33:55 AM »

The TopoFusion link indicates "2012".  I trust this it thee page for the latest gpx regardless.

Yes then last years will move to the index http://www.topofusion.com/azt/gpx/

For 750 riders the snow detours will be at the index as well. They should be the same as last years but better to wait and make sure.

Scott will post up here when the new version is up and ready. There's only one change that I know of. We should get to stay on the AZT all the way to Hope Camp just before Tucson. This is actually a smoother line should be easier to follow then last years exit off of the ST at a road crossing. On the new route you just follow the AZT ST up to the old 2 Track at the wind mill, the old 2 track will get you out to a main street. The AZT goes up from the 2 Track we stay on the 2 Track. The trails in this area are well signed.
  Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 29
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: