Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #380 on: June 19, 2013, 12:35:54 PM
sheilat

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 19, 2013, 12:35:54 PM »

Cool! I really wasn't sure on the bird ID but figured someone out there would know and chime in.

So for the spring waypoint I got coordinates from the Arizona Trail Association website. If you go to the passages page there are txt versions of GPS data that include waypoints for all the stuff in the databook. I ended up cutting & pasting coordinates into my Garmin software to create waypoints one by one because that was the only way I could figure out to do it. It was kinda tedious so I only made them for water sources in places I thought I'd need it and that looked viable from the water report. I'm no expert so there may well have been an easier or faster way to have accomplished this.

At any rate, those files might be members only content. But seriously, everyone who wants to do this race should join the ATA. It is not expensive; for something like $30 you get access to a wealth of information as well as knowing you are supporting a great cause. All y'all in AZ are lucky to have access to such an incredible natural resource and all the public lands around it.

st

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #381 on: June 19, 2013, 02:49:51 PM
the tortoise

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 19, 2013, 02:49:51 PM »

But seriously, everyone who wants to do this race should join the ATA. It is not expensive; for something like $30 you get access to a wealth of information as well as knowing you are supporting a great cause. All y'all in AZ are lucky to have access to such an incredible natural resource and all the public lands around it.

st
Hey, I have paid my dues for two years and I would gladly pay more if they would make it more ride-able! ha ha!

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #382 on: June 19, 2013, 03:53:54 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 19, 2013, 03:53:54 PM »

Hey, I have paid my dues for two years and I would gladly pay more if they would make it more ride-able! ha ha!

Ha you should have done the Canelo's 6-7 years ago. Some things they did do a better job of laying out but then the FS fire crews who built it just straiten everything out. And then there's the really old stuff like Oracle Ridge, and there's only some much you can do up there. Of course there are sections that I can ride now due to improved technique.

I've been a member, off and on, for almost 10 years but I've never have gotten my user name and password worked out. So I wasn't aware that they had all of the coordinates. I think it's a hiker thing to not have a track but to just connect the dots. In the old days a lot of the trail was just a route, and you had to work out how to get to the next point. More of a wonder in this direction until you can get to the next waypoint kinda thing. I still see GPX files with no track and just a huge long set of points.

I like to think of AZ as one huge mnt. bike park, but then I don't mind a little HAB.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #383 on: June 19, 2013, 07:17:22 PM
the tortoise

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 19, 2013, 07:17:22 PM »

Ha you should have done the Canelo's 6-7 years ago. Some things they did do a better job of laying out but then the FS fire crews who built it just straiten everything out. And then there's the really old stuff like Oracle Ridge, and there's only some much you can do up there. Of course there are sections that I can ride now due to improved technique.

I've been a member, off and on, for almost 10 years but I've never have gotten my user name and password worked out. So I wasn't aware that they had all of the coordinates. I think it's a hiker thing to not have a track but to just connect the dots. In the old days a lot of the trail was just a route, and you had to work out how to get to the next point. More of a wonder in this direction until you can get to the next waypoint kinda thing. I still see GPX files with no track and just a huge long set of points.

I like to think of AZ as one huge mnt. bike park, but then I don't mind a little HAB.

I may complain but there were sure some fun and beautiful sections of the trail.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #384 on: June 19, 2013, 09:07:15 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 19, 2013, 09:07:15 PM »

I may complain but there were sure some fun and beautiful sections of the trail.

Ha, yeah there are some very different segments that's for sure. It's an odd mix of the old and the new as well as each segment reflecting the differing land management building styles. 
  Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: