Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #100 on: April 22, 2013, 05:08:48 PM
pbasinger

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2013, 05:08:48 PM »

Has anyone seen or heard anything from Fred Wilkinson on the trail?  He doesn't have a spot and I'm just trying to figure out when he might be coming in.

Fred pulled out at Kelvin

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #101 on: April 22, 2013, 05:17:35 PM
jkormanik

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2013, 05:17:35 PM »

What's going on with Aaron Boatman? He hasn't moved in forever and has been passed....

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #102 on: April 22, 2013, 05:56:19 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2013, 05:56:19 PM »

What's going on with Aaron Boatman? He hasn't moved in forever and has been passed....

Maybe forgot to reset or push Spot buttons?  The most recent time recorded is 5-1/2hrs ago.  That says that the Spot is not tracking.  Either faulty or turned off.  He could be anywhere, really, until the thing registers another reading.  Max's, an the other had, is 6 mins old, so he's well up the Apache Trail for sure.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #103 on: April 22, 2013, 06:23:59 PM
fastmtnbiker33w

Nuclear Sunrise Stitchworks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2013, 06:23:59 PM »

Ouch.  Not being in shape for this one caused some hurt.  I cut my tire at mile 80 and stitched it without removing it from the rim.  It held 100 miles when I had to restitch and taped the inside with Gorilla tape.  That lasted 30 miles.  Pulled it off again and put some super glue on it and taped it with two layers of gorilla tape.  This was just past the Freeman Cache. I connected with Neil and we worked hard together to push to Kelvin before sunset.  Didn't happen, but luckily there was a shitload of water at the big parking lot.  It was 9 pm and we sat to eat our final meal taking inventory of what little food we had.  We worked hard to get through the Gila and ended up going down for a solid half hour nap with about 4 miles left before the climb to Picket Post. 

When the fun descending finally started with about 10 miles to go, I left Neil and did my best XC racer impersonation to beat the sunrise. I finished at 6:23 am and Neil was about 15 minutes or so back.  Much slower going on the SS for me this year, but no messing around and riding that final stretch from Oracle Ridge straight through to the finish with only a short nap improved my time by 11.5 hours.

Sorry I didn't join in on the trackleaders.  Money is tight and I'm especially pissed because my Spot didn't work so I had to update my wife via the rare text message.

I'll wait until I'm more lucid to do a blog post.  It was a great ride and I saw lots of cool stuff.

Big Dave

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #104 on: April 22, 2013, 06:32:20 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2013, 06:32:20 PM »

Big Dave, was that you on the SS that passed me was I was sucking wind, rolling like nothing through the deep sand in the wash (and the next wash, and the next) and jumping all the bumps in the track? You mentioned you had a flat b/c of running your tire pressure too low.

If so, you totally win for having the most fun on that first segment in the 'hills. 

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #105 on: April 22, 2013, 06:46:27 PM
fastmtnbiker33w

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2013, 06:46:27 PM »

That wasn't me.  I had plenty of pressure.  I cut the sidewall (almost 3/4") at about 8 pm north of Kentucky Camp.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #106 on: April 22, 2013, 06:50:28 PM
fastmtnbiker33w

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2013, 06:50:28 PM »

Aaron Boatman was crashed out on the concrete in front of the poop house at Picket Post this morning when I finished.  He was super bored riding alone and was hoping someone would come out of the canyon who would want to ride with him.  Looks like Max passed him in Apache Junction.  I wouldn't be surprised if Aaron got a room in AJ to recharge the batteries and take advantage of cooler riding temps.  We'll see if he starts moving now that Max has presented himself as a carrot.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 06:57:44 PM by fastmtnbiker33w » Logged

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #107 on: April 22, 2013, 10:59:53 PM
groundedkiwi

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2013, 10:59:53 PM »

Rich Wolf called in with another update tonight.  For such a little guy he sure has a big stomach!!!  Outside Oracle he hit pavement and made a beeline into town to eat dinner!  He has backtracked, rejoined the route and now heading back to Highway 77 in the dark.  Very proud of him for pushing on.  He hadn't seen Shelia all day, but they must've been within spitting distance of each other for a lot of it!  I was sure they were riding together, their SPOT's were so close.

He has a message for Scott.......He'll be racing the AZT twice this year...His first time and his last time!!
I think he's having a great time.  Said that he is really enjoying camping out in the desert at night.

Go go racers!!!

Katherine

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #108 on: April 23, 2013, 06:09:17 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2013, 06:09:17 AM »

He has a message for Scott.......He'll be racing the AZT twice this year...His first time and his last time!!
I think he's having a great time.  Said that he is really enjoying camping out in the desert at night.

Go go racers!!!

Katherine

First and Last that's classic, there are of course easier ways to ride across the state but that's not the point right! Great to see him sticking with it, many have pulled the plug before Oracle Ridge that's for sure. You really have to want it to start down that. He'll get some fun riding in north of Oracle tho. Of course it's still the AZTHABR (Arizona Trail Hiking and Biking Race).

Looking at the spots can fool us into thinking people are right together, I thought Mark C and Shelia were running close up the Catalina Hwy, when he called Mark said he never saw her. Just has to do with who's got the most recent update.

Fast or Slow it's all a matter of mind over pain, just keep plugging away.

Tim

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #109 on: April 23, 2013, 06:14:28 AM
fastmtnbiker33w

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2013, 06:14:28 AM »

Boatman pulled the plug in Apache Junction.

Great to see Rich is still in it.  Camping in the desert is awesome if you can find a soft spot with a place to lean your bike.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #110 on: April 23, 2013, 06:21:23 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2013, 06:21:23 AM »

What! Pulled the plug that's a surprise, I thought sure it was just a forgot to reset the spot or a recharge break. Well I guess that puts MadMax in the lead. He has points for an 8 day pace but never meant to be making them. If he did it in 9 he was going to be on track even 10 would be well within his planning range. Then he can come home and keep training for TD.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #111 on: April 23, 2013, 07:26:01 AM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2013, 07:26:01 AM »

Then he can come home and keep training for TD.

No, then he can come home and RECOVER for the TD. Don't tell Max he can keep training. He does too much of that as it is! But it's looking like he may have come into this race fresher than usual given the pace he's pushing.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #112 on: April 23, 2013, 07:33:54 AM
Gimmearaise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2013, 07:33:54 AM »

Impressive!  Nicely done!

Sounds like the fork was rideable locked-out and rigid, which would have been fully rigid for you right?  Did you consider finishing the ride with no suspension?  Either way, good show for us watching from afar.

It was not all that bad a blow out seal but it was not holding any air. So yea it was pretty ridged. the big issue was my angle on the bike I was so hunched over, killing my back! I messed around with the lock out but nothing changed. I made some phone calls in Tucson but No one could look at my fork till Tuesday. So I decided to ride with a broken fork. However I figured to just go to broadway cycles and see if they had anything... They had a fox float 100 laying around all new and shiny! Hehe

WWW.BikepackingSummit.com

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #113 on: April 23, 2013, 07:53:51 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2013, 07:53:51 AM »

Overnight: Max Morris called in from Apache Junction. He runs down his ride thus far. This call cuts short. And Mark Caminiti called in from Oracle. Hot day yesterday so he got some night riding in.

http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/azt13/

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #114 on: April 23, 2013, 08:08:40 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2013, 08:08:40 AM »

No, then he can come home and RECOVER for the TD. Don't tell Max he can keep training. He does too much of that as it is! But it's looking like he may have come into this race fresher than usual given the pace he's pushing.

Yeah he has, in the past, not always timed his training and recovery right. Coming into these things well rested rather then a little run down instead of the other way around would seem to make more sense. The last couple of weekends he has been riding with me some so that gives him a chance to take it easy.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #115 on: April 23, 2013, 09:15:21 AM
Gimmearaise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2013, 09:15:21 AM »

Ouch.  Not being in shape for this one caused some hurt.  I cut my tire at mile 80 and stitched it without removing it from the rim.  It held 100 miles when I had to restitch and taped the inside with Gorilla tape.  That lasted 30 miles.  Pulled it off again and put some super glue on it and taped it with two layers of gorilla tape.  This was just past the Freeman Cache. I connected with Neil and we worked hard together to push to Kelvin before sunset.  Didn't happen, but luckily there was a shitload of water at the big parking lot.  It was 9 pm and we sat to eat our final meal taking inventory of what little food we had.  We worked hard to get through the Gila and ended up going down for a solid half hour nap with about 4 miles left before the climb to Picket Post. 

When the fun descending finally started with about 10 miles to go, I left Neil and did my best XC racer impersonation to beat the sunrise. I finished at 6:23 am and Neil was about 15 minutes or so back.  Much slower going on the SS for me this year, but no messing around and riding that final stretch from Oracle Ridge straight through to the finish with only a short nap improved my time by 11.5 hours.

Sorry I didn't join in on the trackleaders.  Money is tight and I'm especially pissed because my Spot didn't work so I had to update my wife via the rare text message.

I'll wait until I'm more lucid to do a blog post.  It was a great ride and I saw lots of cool stuff.

Big Dave

Dave thanks again for the motivation, and wisdom your a great guy! Can't wait to study up on my biker mechanics and talk bikepacks for the CTR!

Neil

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #116 on: April 23, 2013, 12:21:16 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2013, 12:21:16 PM »

Looks like Forest is at a bike shop in Apache Junction -- bummer.  Madmax is into Payson.  He is looking really good.  He must be stoked to be leading the race and the triple crown!

Shout out to Phoenix riders John Schilling and Jeff/Nancy for wrapping up a swift 300 before it got crazy hot.  Great work!

The DNF list is growing.  It's looking like we'll hit the usual 50%+ attrition rate.  Anyone that makes it to Superior, in any amount of time, should be proud.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #117 on: April 23, 2013, 12:23:20 PM
Gimmearaise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2013, 12:23:20 PM »

Looks like Forest is at a bike shop in Apache Junction -- bummer.  Madmax is into Payson.  He is looking really good.  He must be stoked to be leading the race and the triple crown!

After talking to Max on route he is determined for sure!

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #118 on: April 23, 2013, 12:49:16 PM
RossC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2013, 12:49:16 PM »

Hey all,

My knee was giving me trouble and i called it a day at the end of the 300. In hindsight, i suspect the knee wasnt as bad as i thought and it was just my sun addled brain that got the better of me.

This course is a real beast and it was such a pleasure to share trails and tales with an awesome group of riders that i bumped into along the way. Those 'next time' thoughts are already creeping in and there are a few key things i could do better next time.

Thanks to Scott and Tim for all tge advice and lead up work and for cramming more type2 fun into a course than i could imagine. So rad (in hindsight and with beer).

Edit: Oh, and Go Max!!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 01:09:49 PM by RossC » Logged

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #119 on: April 23, 2013, 01:28:00 PM
groundedkiwi

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »

Anyone have any updates on Team Alaska?  Michael & Sharon. Thanks!
  Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: