Poll
Question: 750 or 800 plus
Keep the full race at 750 like last year - 2 (15.4%)
Add more single track pushing the distance into the 800 mile range - 11 (84.6%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: AZT full meal deal Reply #20 on: December 23, 2010, 06:18:47 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2010, 06:18:47 PM »

Anyone heard any word from the Great Lord of the AZTR if there will be any changes to the 750 Route? And yes, I am planning already. Jefe

Not planning any at the moment, despite the poll clearly requesting more singletrack.  White Canyon is not ready yet... and I really need to see Boulder Creek and some other sections before adding them. 

There is some singletrack that should be incorporated into the route in the Superstitions, but it's going to require some scouting runs.  Tim and I need to get out... in other words.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: AZT full meal deal Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 12:18:25 PM
YuriB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 12:18:25 PM »

Just the 300 for me this year but I would like to see it stay on the east side of the Santa Ritas and I'd trade that for Ripsey and such.

Topic Name: AZT full meal deal Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 05:44:15 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 05:44:15 AM »

Just the 300 for me this year but I would like to see it stay on the east side of the Santa Ritas and I'd trade that for Ripsey and such.

Pretty sure that Scott has planned on moving it east once the White Canyon is finished. Adding Ripsey and White Cyn will add some time to the course moving to the east side should even things back out. The problem with adding Ripsey without White is that the detour west gets stupid long, and moving east in the Santa Rita's without adding Ripsey makes it shorter and easier.

From what I gather from talking to Scott he is hopping to make all of the changes at once then the overall difficulty should even out.

I am starting to think that I need to wait one more year for my next big trip. As it stands the ATA has crews working the White Cyn and the prediction is for that section to be ready for the 2012 season. For me personally I don't want to go again until I can do a more complete course or at least not skip Ripsey and not do Box for the 4th time (for me). Not that the Box isn't cool I just want to see some new country, and I know that the White Cyn section is really going to be cool.

Yuri glad to hear you are planning on getting on the 300 again not many come back for more.

Its looking like 2012 is going to be the best year for the most single track to be finished it's also the State Centennial and the ATA people are shooting for that to be the official year of completion.  

Topic Name: AZT full meal deal Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 08:32:37 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 08:32:37 AM »

Yeah, I don't think adding Ripsey makes sense until White Cyn is ready.  The detour to get back to Box Canyon is a beast and will seriously backload the difficulty / suffering on the route.  No one will finish the same day after leaving Oracle.  There's also not a legit way to access the AZT on the north side of the river (currently we cross a railroad bridge, or ride along the tracks from Kelvin, both of which I cannot tell people to do with good conscience).

You could ride Ripsey and then turn around and ride a dirt road pretty much back up to the same spot, but that feels too contrived and isn't enough time to balance out going east around the Santa Ritas.

So it looks like this year things will pretty much stay the same on the 300.  Like Tim said, 2012 is going to be the banner year.  There should be a lot of excitement about the AZT and it being 'finished' and the race routes will get a big overhaul.   thumbsup

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: AZT full meal deal Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 01:37:42 PM
jonesy792

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 01:37:42 PM »

So for those few thinking of attempting this has anyone figured out how to get back to civilization after the finish?  I know there's a shuttle from flag but what would be the best way to get to flag from utah?

Topic Name: AZT full meal deal Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 01:51:40 PM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 01:51:40 PM »

Your best bet is probably to ride to the highway and throw out your thumb or pedal to Kanab...perhaps the shuttle there could be convinced to transport you and a bike (http://www.kanabshuttle.com). That or just continue hitchhiking all the way home like last year's AZTR winner did. There was some talk on last year's AZTR forum on potentially getting a ride with a raft trip company from Lee's Ferry. You might check that discussion.

Topic Name: AZT full meal deal Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 04:51:57 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 04:51:57 PM »

It is possible to ride south from the State line on House Rock Valley road then the main highway to Lee's and then south from there. Not sure on the distance to the first resort but it might be closer then Kanab in miles but there's more dirt going south.

In 04 I rode from the State line to the Ramada at the south end of House Rock road then to Lee's then to Cameron. At Lee's I called my wife for pick up, there were showers there at the laundry mat and I crashed with someone I met there. In the morning I rode the 70 miles to Cameron to save my wife one hour of driving. Then drove her back to the Ramada so she could see the condors the next morning.

Jonesy I see no reason for you not to just ride all the way home. For that matter you should ride to the start as well.  

Topic Name: AZT full meal deal Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 07:38:16 AM
jonesy792

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 07:38:16 AM »

Thanks for the tips kurt, I like the idea of hitching a ride back with a river raft company

haha tim, I know your a beast and can ride nonstop for months at a time but this mere mortal will be happy if he even makes it to utah.

Topic Name: AZT full meal deal Reply #28 on: January 25, 2011, 06:24:52 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2011, 06:24:52 PM »

Thanks for the tips kurt, I like the idea of hitching a ride back with a river raft company

haha tim, I know your a beast and can ride nonstop for months at a time but this mere mortal will be happy if he even makes it to utah.

Ha, that's hilarious if I can ride for months because it takes me weeks to get anywhere.

Heading south may be a good call anyway there won't be that much traffic if the north rim is still closed. But you might well get rides heading back to Flag.

I still think it can be done with out the shuttle but it would take planning and pacing along the way. If some one like Kurt can bash it out in 7 days (granted with less snow there's more trail) surely he could have paced himself and had the legs left to continue riding.

Like some young buck who rides a hundred miles with a massive bruise on his leg. Oh wait that was you.  

Topic Name: AZT full meal deal Reply #29 on: February 07, 2011, 03:54:07 PM
Endurance Junkie

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2011, 03:54:07 PM »

ok, so AZT is 8 weeks out and very little chatter on here, so let me try to get it roll'n.
For those doing the FMD, what are your thoughts on the best way to carry your bike across the GC?  I know the others just strapped to there backs and they all seem to have the same consensus t:sad2: that there's got to be another way , anyone tinkering with making a light weight frame pack?
 or adding to shoulder straps.
just trying to come up with something?
any help would be appreciated 

Finding myself by way of bike

Topic Name: AZT full meal deal Reply #30 on: February 07, 2011, 05:42:55 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2011, 05:42:55 PM »

I was just thinking it's time to start a planning thread. As far as the carry goes there's a thread on here somewhere with several ideas. The way I carried the bike duffel style is pictured in this thread http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,611.0.html

Topic Name: AZT full meal deal Reply #31 on: February 07, 2011, 07:12:10 PM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2011, 07:12:10 PM »

I think being really strong and in top shape is the key the the GC hike. Last year I was not and it nearly killed me. I am training- last year I just rode in the winter now I am serious. I am doing something specific for the course leading up to Tasayan, and then picking up a drop from the PO to complete my canyon kit. Hiking Poles, Etc.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: AZT full meal deal Reply #32 on: February 08, 2011, 04:43:30 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2011, 04:43:30 AM »

Hiking Poles would be nice to have possibly even a change of footwear. I found sandals to be better then bike shoes. I know Ian was carrying poles from the start certainly more studly but that's a long way to carry something you won't use until you get there. I did a shuttle for some tour riders who had shipped external frame packs to use once they got there, never made it thou as they ran out of time around Flag.

The other consideration is time I know that the studly way to go is straight across in one day but I know that would ruin me. In 06 I spent 3 days crossing and that was almost too easy. If I get to race I was thinking 2. It should be possible to get a campsite at Cottonwood Camp. As long as you get there before the north rim opens May 15. I can't see anyone taking that long to get there and that camp doesn't get much use until the north side opens.

Topic Name: AZT full meal deal Reply #33 on: April 04, 2011, 08:38:49 PM
MattRuscigno

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2011, 08:38:49 PM »

I'm in for the Full Meal Deal. Very excited! Thanks to everyone, especially Scott, who puts in time to make this race (and the trail itself!) possible. I really appreciate all of the shared information on routing, water, gear, etc.
We're coming from Southern California and still working out the details for when we'll be there. As soon as we know we'll share in the Shuttle Planning thread to help with rides and what not.
See you next week!
  Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: