Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: AZT 750/300 2017 Planning Thread Reply #60 on: February 11, 2017, 01:14:44 AM
jaygee

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2017, 01:14:44 AM »

i am likely going to be dropping a car at the end of the 750 and driving another car down to the start and will probably have room for 1 person (maybe 2) with gear.

it might make the most sense to see if any 750ers want to jump in first Vik but if no one does i could probably get you to the start.

Hey I'm looking for a lift to the start of the 750, do you still have a space?? I'm gonna be getting into Tuscon 6am (ish) on Thursday 6th. Cheers Jenny

Topic Name: AZT 750/300 2017 Planning Thread Reply #61 on: February 13, 2017, 12:50:20 PM
LandSharkBrian

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2017, 12:50:20 PM »

Jenny if that ride doesn't work out this Home Grown Mtn Bike (look through the 2016 posts if you can't easily find their website) is shuttling people from Tucson and from Phoenix.  and it's reasonably cheap - like $40 or something.

I'm staying Wed night down by the airport in Tucson then riding up to the meeting place for the shuttle Thursday afternoon - I think they depart 2 or 3pm-ish.  If you want to do the same we could connect Thursday morning to get you set up (the hotel is walking distance from bag pickup).

Brian

Topic Name: AZT 750/300 2017 Planning Thread Reply #62 on: February 13, 2017, 04:04:48 PM
vikb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2017, 04:04:48 PM »

i am likely going to be dropping a car at the end of the 750 and driving another car down to the start and will probably have room for 1 person (maybe 2) with gear.

it might make the most sense to see if any 750ers want to jump in first Vik but if no one does i could probably get you to the start.

Thank you for the offer. I've decided to hold off until 2018. I should have time to drive down then and spend more time in AZ. It'll make the whole deal so much easier than trying to fly down for from BC for a week or so.

Topic Name: AZT 750/300 2017 Planning Thread Reply #63 on: February 13, 2017, 08:07:23 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2017, 08:07:23 PM »

Extra!  Extra!  Read all about it -- new singletrack in the AZT 750 route is a GO!

I had a chance to ride through Gold Canyon and Jacob's Crosscut with John Schilling, and through a combination of more direct routing and impressive trailwork, I'm convinced both sections should be added to the 750 route.  The views and beautiful desert did most of the convincing, I must admit.  But John's persistence, routing, and gentle suggestions to local retiree trail crews helped push it over the edge.

The new route adds about 9 miles, and roughly 2 hours of moving time.  

(I computed the 2 hour figure comparing the track of John and myself riding it to Neil B racing it on the 2016 route, so I think that's a fair comparison)

I think it'll be 2 hours well spent on (mostly) fun trail, going into the long section of road riding.  Both Queen Valley (Fitz stop) and Bashas/Subway/etc are still on the route.  So there's a break in the two singletrack sections, and resupply options have not changed.

The singletrack is, on average, easier and more rideable than much of the AZT, and certainly not out of character with the rest of the route.  If anything, it's much more in character with what an AZT rider is looking for.  I'd recommend people touring the trail take this route as well.  There *will* be some short sections of HAB on it, particularly on Jacobs Crosscut.

http://topofusion.com/azt/gpx/AZTR-2017-rev0.3.gpx

Here is a prelim version of the 2017 route, for anyone curious to take a look.  It's not quite final, but close.  It includes a number of other small updates to AZT sections, mostly due to official AZT re-routes (improvements).  The only one of those that affects the 300 is the routing of Oracle State Park, so there will be a new 300 file this year, too, with that small update.  Stay tuned.

Questions?  Mo trail 'mo better, right?

And let's give a round of applause to John Schilling for this addition!  Thanks John.

* IMG_3982_resize_resize.jpg (174.99 KB, 640x480 - viewed 753 times.)

* IMG_5078_resize_resize.jpg (197.5 KB, 640x441 - viewed 743 times.)

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: AZT 750/300 2017 Planning Thread Reply #64 on: February 13, 2017, 10:13:50 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2017, 10:13:50 PM »

I just rode the Gold Canyon stuff on Wednesday.. circuitous at times, but so scenic with the Superstitions as a back drop and really fun in and out, swoopy trails. Come April I just hope to hit it in the day to see it all in its full glory again!
Awesome Work John and Scott for putting this together and getting it out. Thanks for the update and keeping the stoke high!
EDIT... quick comparison between the two tracks (and a FB message from John) and the single track looks a lot more straightforward than last years bonus section.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 10:21:48 PM by Addy Marx » Logged

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: AZT 750/300 2017 Planning Thread Reply #65 on: February 14, 2017, 04:34:33 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2017, 04:34:33 AM »

One other note re: Jacob Crosscut portion. After Scott & I rode it on Friday I contacted one of the volunteers who has been helping to get that trail improved and he mentioned how their work is still ongoing. Both Scott & I agreed it only needs a little more fine tuning in spots, so I imagine it'll be wrapped up by April. If not, we're only talking about some tight spots between large rocks or a tricky turn here & there due to embedded rocks. There shouldn't be any extended HAB in there, just the occasional off/on/off stuff to get over trail features. The section still needed a bit of work is about a mile long.

Adam, sounds like you rode last year's version through Gold Canyon. I gave it a good hard look after Mike P's posting a while back and he was right. A bit too much twisting & turning for the 750. For those who don't know, the Gold Canyon trails are 95% social trails offering over 40 miles of singletrack next to the Superstition Mtns. Check Trailforks for an overview of the area. A few of the trails tend to follow the natural contours of the washes going back & forth repeatedly. While these are super fun, probably not the best choice for the 750.

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: AZT 750/300 2017 Planning Thread Reply #66 on: February 14, 2017, 08:28:49 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2017, 08:28:49 AM »

Adam, sounds like you rode last year's version through Gold Canyon. I gave it a good hard look after Mike P's posting a while back and he was right. A bit too much twisting & turning for the 750. For those who don't know, the Gold Canyon trails are 95% social trails offering over 40 miles of singletrack next to the Superstition Mtns. Check Trailforks for an overview of the area. A few of the trails tend to follow the natural contours of the washes going back & forth repeatedly. While these are super fun, probably not the best choice for the 750.

You're right John I rode the 2016 track. Looking at both last years and the updated track I can see where you trimmed down the turns. I'm glad I rode it all as they're super fun swoopy trails, come race time though as you mention, a little more straightforward would be nice/easier.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: AZT 750/300 2017 Planning Thread Reply #67 on: February 14, 2017, 01:53:11 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2017, 01:53:11 PM »

Here are some more pics from the Gold Canyon & Jacob Crosscut sections. **The route posted in the blog is just for reference.

AZTR750: More dirt, less pavement

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: AZT 750/300 2017 Planning Thread Reply #68 on: February 14, 2017, 09:36:08 PM
mikedeber

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2017, 09:36:08 PM »

Thought I'd bump this one up too...trying to figure out logistics for getting to the start.  I'll likely leave my truck at the finish since I'm coming from the north.  Happy to split gas for the ride down to Trumps wall if you have any extra space.  Thanks

Topic Name: AZT 750/300 2017 Planning Thread Reply #69 on: February 14, 2017, 10:56:15 PM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2017, 10:56:15 PM »

The Jacob crosscut addition is no good if it doesn't include the opportunity to get yelled at by Mr. outraged hillbilly local.   "This trail is outside the wilderness, sir"   "The hell it is!"  "No, really - look at the map"  "The hell it is!"

Topic Name: AZT 750/300 2017 Planning Thread Reply #70 on: February 14, 2017, 11:05:24 PM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2017, 11:05:24 PM »

Thought I'd bump this one up too...trying to figure out logistics for getting to the start.  I'll likely leave my truck at the finish since I'm coming from the north.  Happy to split gas for the ride down to Trumps wall if you have any extra space.  Thanks
Doing a bit of research there are daily flights from Page airport to Phx.  Airport is about 45mi from Stateline CG.  My situation is still up in the air, so one thought is to park my truck at the airport and fly down to Phx where I can grab my bike and carpool to the start.  I'd be happy to drive anyone else down from Page at the end but chances are you'll have a bit of a wait Smiley.  Plans still up in the air.  If I can actually do the official 750 (not ITT) and a carpool from stateline to the start is available I'd be interested in that too. 

Topic Name: AZT 750/300 2017 Planning Thread Reply #71 on: February 15, 2017, 06:43:19 AM
Stevland

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2017, 06:43:19 AM »

The Jacob crosscut addition is no good if it doesn't include the opportunity to get yelled at by Mr. outraged hillbilly local.   "This trail is outside the wilderness, sir"   "The hell it is!"  "No, really - look at the map"  "The hell it is!"
Alt Facts.

Topic Name: AZT 750/300 2017 Planning Thread Reply #72 on: February 15, 2017, 09:22:03 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2017, 09:22:03 AM »

Alt Facts.

Hey man, Evdog was there!! Those are exact quotes from that knucklehead homeowner. He went on & on about how bikes aren't allowed in Wilderness, but wouldn't accept that we were merely on National Forest and the Wilderness boundary was another 100 yards or so up the mountain!! He threatened to call the cops, to which I replied 'Go ahead!' He wasn't very receptive to my suggestions of looking at a topo map or googling land ownership in the area either!! Good times. Get off my lawn!!!

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: AZT 750/300 2017 Planning Thread Reply #73 on: February 15, 2017, 02:40:58 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2017, 02:40:58 PM »

Now that the route is coming together it's time to get the ATA on board with calling it the wilderness bypass.

Topic Name: AZT 750/300 2017 Planning Thread Reply #74 on: February 17, 2017, 09:43:05 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2017, 09:43:05 AM »

Now that the route is coming together it's time to get the ATA on board with calling it the wilderness bypass.

Yep, until the trail gets built over Gunsight Gap, it's the way to go.  I bet Matt Nelson would be stoked.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: AZT 750/300 2017 Planning Thread Reply #75 on: February 17, 2017, 01:45:27 PM
hanyo66

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2017, 01:45:27 PM »

Super stoked to see the new GC/JC trail, looks good!

First time poster, but have been lurking here for a year and decided to sign up. Had some intentions of heading over to AZ (from PA) this year but tore a tendon in my ankle and am in a boot for a while. My family has a timeshare in Sedona and I've been coming out to AZ for about 15 years now and figured the next step in my Arizona legacy would be riding the AZT.

My girlfriend's brother and I are going to come out next year and ride north to south. Can't wait to see everyone's prep, gear, and  training up until race day and can't wait to follow along when this thing kicks up!

-Lee

www.leehanyo.com
www.instagram.com/hanyo66
- 1x DNF'er of AZTR 750 SOBO
- Currently working on establishing an official bikepacking route in the Allegheny NF

Topic Name: AZT 750/300 2017 Planning Thread Reply #76 on: February 17, 2017, 08:19:34 PM
jjhpf

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2017, 08:19:34 PM »

Hi jaygee, i will be heading down on the 6th from Phoenix, right now i would have room. How many days are you planning to finish 750?

Topic Name: AZT 750/300 2017 Planning Thread Reply #77 on: February 17, 2017, 08:20:10 PM
davew

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2017, 08:20:10 PM »

Does anyone have snow-depth info on the North Rim Rd (snow detour on 67) and/or Humphrey's Peak (in relation to the trail)? There seems to be an abnormal amount of snow around this year. Going off Snowbowl base depth historical data, an 83" base at this time of year is well up on the standard 25-30".

I found this page/site of snow depth on the Nth Rim but the site also suggests Mt Lemmon is snow free at the moment despite the ski field being open. The conflicting data is not helpful.

I'm attempting an early SOBO run but all the snow this year may might require a change of tactics and kit. Any info would be appreciated.

Topic Name: AZT 750/300 2017 Planning Thread Reply #78 on: February 19, 2017, 10:48:48 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2017, 10:48:48 AM »

There's certainly snow at the top of Lemmon right now.  Dec/Jan definitely piled it on in AZ, so it unfortunately isn't looking too good for early ITTs.  There is still time for long streaks of high pressure driven melting, but that certainly hasn't happened yet.

We're still finalizing the 750 track, though it doesn't look substantially different than what I posted earlier in the thread.  I'm working on the updates to the cues, too.

Wanted to mention something important for 750 riders.  I added this note to the race website in a couple places:

State Trust Land Permit Required: The AZTR 750 route crosses State Trust Land (off the AZT itself) which means all riders must purchase a recreational permit. They are available at the link below, and can be purchased / delivered online ($15). Please note that AZT 300 riders do not need a permit, since there is an easement for the AZT wherever it travels on State Trust Land. The 750 requires a permit due to using roads and trails that are not AZT, but on state trust.

https://land.az.gov/natural-resources/recreational-permits

This note should have been there in previous years, since the route crossed state trust land after Queen Valley.  The Gold Canyon trails are also on State Trust.   The reality is that the state rarely enforces 'trespassing', but it's good to be legal and it is good for as many of us as possible to support the recreation permit system.  Perhaps one day they will see recreation as a valid use of the land, instead of the standard formula of selling off the land for development.  At least in my opinion.

Topic Name: AZT 750/300 2017 Planning Thread Reply #79 on: February 19, 2017, 07:59:58 PM
pbasinger

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2017, 07:59:58 PM »

Just wanted to see if anyone was coming through Moab on the way to Tucson.  I would like to head down Thursday before the race.  I can split gas and other expenses.  Happy to use my car also.  Can provide a place to crash in Moab on Wednesday night as well.
Please PM me if you're interested.

Also, any room available with folks from Tucson or around there to the start on the morning of?  Thanks
  Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: