Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: AZ 750 , how did you get back home? on: November 20, 2012, 08:47:08 PM
Sean Allan

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2012, 08:47:08 PM »

Just wondering how some of you worked out the logistics of getting home or back to your car after doing the full 750. I know most of you likely get a ride from a loved one or friend, but I'd be coming from California so that presents a bit of a problem.

Actually I do have a friend in New Harmony that would likely come and get me from Kanab, Fredonia or even the end of the trail, but I still have that wee bit of a problem of getting my rig back from the border. I considered leaving my truck in Kanab and renting a U haul to Sierra Vista. Another option would be flying to Tucson from St. George and having the shuttle company haul me out to the race start.

It looks like the finish to the race is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, correct?

If you could, please let me know what you guys and gals have done.

Thanks.

Topic Name: AZ 750 , how did you get back home? Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 07:00:03 AM
Buttermilk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 07:00:03 AM »

Here's a thought...
Pick up friend in New Harmony, he goes with you to border and leaves you there. He returns home with your car, then picks you up at finish when done. Not too much extra driving.

Up & down on dirt & snow
I've got all my eggs in one basket

Topic Name: AZ 750 , how did you get back home? Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 06:03:19 PM
RossC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 06:03:19 PM »

I'll be in a similar situation and will probably need to pedal my sorry backside to a largish town and figure out my escape options from there.  Google tends to show St George, UT as the closest largish town where one might rent a car, hop a flight or just eat pizza for days on end in a hotel room. Is that the best place to shoot for?

Topic Name: AZ 750 , how did you get back home? Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 04:45:15 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 04:45:15 AM »

Yep both the start and finish are in the middle of nowhere.

There are always people at the State Line tho.

The State Line TH and Campground is a pretty sweet spot. A few miles north from there is the TH for The Wave, BLM permit required for the hike. People who do this hike often camp at the State Line.

Paige is likely the closest Motel and Pizza, but I don't think there's much else ie rental cars and airports.

There are shuttle services the connect Phx, Flag, Tucson, and Sierra Vista. Fly into TIA or Phx and then shuttle down to SV. Check in with the bike shop guy there. He's been hauling people out to Montezuma Pass for the last couple of years. From there its all down hill to the start.

At the finish someone will likely offer you a ride out. I know MadMax, who I picked up, was offered a ride at least out to the main highway. Actually the guy was going on up the Escalate but he could have dropped him at a BLM office near there. Hitching to Flag via Paige should be doable. I know Mark C hitched all the way home to CO the first year.

This is actually the main reason I wanted to come up with a new fall AZT/BCT combo course that would start in Flag and end in Tucson. Seems like it would be a lot easier for people to start and finish in more of a major town. Tho for those willing to deal with the logistics the full trip is clearly better.

Topic Name: AZ 750 , how did you get back home? Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 05:56:25 AM
JeffM-VT

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 05:56:25 AM »

Hi there...  FYI that there is an airport in Page, AZ.  Actually very convenient as within walking distance to everything.  I flew into there a few years back on a United flight (I believe) for a kayak trip on Lake Powell.  Connecting through Phoenix.

Thus likely rental cars in Page also.

Topic Name: AZ 750 , how did you get back home? Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 12:10:03 PM
RossC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 12:10:03 PM »

Great info, thanks guys - Sorry about the thread jack Sean

Topic Name: AZ 750 , how did you get back home? Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 05:38:06 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 05:38:06 PM »

Great info, thanks guys - Sorry about the thread jack Sean

Wizard, fly into Paige rent a car and drive out to the State Line to pick up Sean. Once you guys get to Tucson we'll work out a shuttle to the start. I'll likely be able to have the day free to shuttle one rig back again like I have the last couple of years. I just like to try to get as many people in as is reasonable. If you guys are willing to get together and rent something, mini van full sized?, I'll drop you and whoever else, off and get it back to your rental office. Unless we can find someone else who has the van who'll chime in closer to race date. It's a little too early to start the shuttle planning thread.

Good info on this one tho.

Tim

Topic Name: AZ 750 , how did you get back home? Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 08:16:11 PM
boatmana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 08:16:11 PM »

If i'm around Ill help you out.  Gave Kurt a ride last year. 

Thinking back my plan was to hitchhike to Paige and go from there.

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: