Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #200 on: March 06, 2016, 07:38:11 AM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 06, 2016, 07:38:11 AM »

Re: Shielding the sun
I second sun sleeves. To those who don't have any, translated to be white arm warmers. For a cheap midday thrill, wet them and enjoy the 15 minutes of bliss, as your brain thinks you are going to die from hypothermia. In a dry desert climate the effectiveness of these as swamp coolers is amazing. Obviously can't deplete the on-bike/in-pack water reserves, but it's quite the treat when water is available. 2014 AZT 300 - I still remember wading out into the Gila for a late afternoon recharge, wearing nothing but my white arm coolers. Only the resident fauna enjoyed the view...
One more thing about white arm warmers [coolers] - remember black body radiation from physics 101? Black arm warmers can actually be colder at night [after sunset] than comparable thickness white ones. Sounds like BS, but if you have both black warmers and white coolers, wear one of each on a cold night and you will be a believer.
Hard to get away from black shorts [yes, I'm a coward to wear white ones], but light colored clothing makes sense. I don't buy into the theory that you are cooler in dark/black clothing because of additional sweat evaporation. IMHO, you just sweat more in dark clothing.
I also fashioned a cut-down, bleached-out bandanna, which fastens to the back/sides of my helmet and drapes down my neck and ears. It's held on with adhesive Velcro circles glued to the bandanna and stuck to the helmet.
Unique to my body, this is weird: During long sunny rides, I get a sun rash on my left quad, right where the shorts end. Half the area will be visible and half the rash area will have spread under the shorts. Dermatologist says it's probably a reaction to oxybenzone [or one of its cousin ingredients]. A lot of people are allergic to this stuff. Good sunscreens use a mixture of ingredients. Best ones use oxides of zinc and titanium [they don't have to be lifeguard white] and avoid oxybenzone. So, I use the cheap stuff everywhere except my face, neck and left quad, where I use the expensive stuff.
For the desert heat, I swear by my PI sun sleeves. ...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 07:13:35 AM by Yogi the Barry » Logged

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #201 on: March 06, 2016, 10:13:20 AM
windowace

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 06, 2016, 10:13:20 AM »

I skip the sun sleeves and just wear a loose, light colored long sleeve shirt. I rode the 750 last year covered head to toe and was pretty content most of the time. I second the bandanna as well.  You can cover the back of your neck with it, and if you drape it right, you can make little side blinders. Haven't done the velcro thing yet but have thought it many times. Sunscreen for face, neck and wrists only. Wetting it and putting it under your helmet is nice, but it dries too fast to do regularly (same goes for the cooling towel). I rode and hiked in a pair of Shimano mt34's.  Removed the cleats for the Canyon (carried an extra cleat and bolt or two).  If you feel a hot-spot (pre-blister) don't wait until a 'good' spot to address it. Do something immediately - there is too much HAB and hiking to take a chance on foot misery.  I am still dreaming of Desert cycling pants.  'Tights like' in the seat area, but loose and light from ankles to thighs.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #202 on: March 06, 2016, 01:22:19 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: March 06, 2016, 01:22:19 PM »

how do you sign up for the track leaders race site?
I can't find a link on the page, someone has already signed up

One month out for people starting with the group start.

Randy Sooter is on an early ITT mission.  He is live here:

http://trackleaders.com/aztr16

Though right now he is not tracking well -- point 5+ hours old.  Hopefully he'll get back tracking soon.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #203 on: March 06, 2016, 02:13:32 PM
Beardog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: March 06, 2016, 02:13:32 PM »

Question for Scott or anyone out there that might have done it - from Sierra Vista it is about 25 miles to 750 start - last time I did the 750 I caught a ride but was thinking if all else fails why not just ride it on bike via SH 92 to West Montezuma Canyon Road. Is there anything that prevents that from happening? I know on the AZT site it says something about not being able to ride a bike through visitor center but isn't that a bit off of the Road and in Wilderness area? Any guidance would be nice - thanks

Beardog

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #204 on: March 06, 2016, 02:50:19 PM
xcracer

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 06, 2016, 02:50:19 PM »

Rode ripesy today, as Mr.Schilling stated earlier it seems theres been a lot of work done south of the ripsey switchbacks and even some work done on the switchbacks. The flowers are blooming like crazy out there! Should be fun next month...

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #205 on: March 06, 2016, 04:37:58 PM
worntreads

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #205 on: March 06, 2016, 04:37:58 PM »

I'm planning on renting a car and driving one way to Sierra Vista from Oakland, CA. I can fit one more with a bike anyone down to split the costs?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #206 on: March 07, 2016, 06:18:36 AM
Sam Aspacher

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 07, 2016, 06:18:36 AM »

Rode by the Safeway on Houghton last Friday. Looks like it's reopening after all. Didn't have any reopen date posted but a guy in the parking lot told me the 13th of March.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #207 on: March 07, 2016, 06:51:05 AM
aaron w

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 07, 2016, 06:51:05 AM »

Question for Scott or anyone out there that might have done it - from Sierra Vista it is about 25 miles to 750 start - last time I did the 750 I caught a ride but was thinking if all else fails why not just ride it on bike via SH 92 to West Montezuma Canyon Road. Is there anything that prevents that from happening? I know on the AZT site it says something about not being able to ride a bike through visitor center but isn't that a bit off of the Road and in Wilderness area? Any guidance would be nice - thanks

I have the same question.  I'm not racing but looking to possibly tour part of the route at the beginning of April. 

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #208 on: March 07, 2016, 07:45:54 AM
Beardog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: March 07, 2016, 07:45:54 AM »

Come on Aaron - you need to join us on the race (and the triple) - you only live once and might as well join the growing number of us Coloradans on the trails this summer.

Beardog

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #209 on: March 07, 2016, 07:52:28 AM
aaron w

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 07, 2016, 07:52:28 AM »

Hey buddy!  Would love to mix it up with you all out there but I have big plans for bikepacking this summer.  Hoping to ride the CDT!! 

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #210 on: March 07, 2016, 09:04:12 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: March 07, 2016, 09:04:12 AM »

I just talked with Over the Edge in Sedona - who appear to have purchased the Magic or Mystery Van (you all know it, retro 70's style van) - and they don't seem to be offering the Picketpost to Parker shuttle. At least the guy I talked to didn't think so.

Any other options that people know of? I'd rather not do the option into Tuscon, and have to find a place to stay and then get up early to drive down the morning of the race...but I guess if that's all there is, I'll do it.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #211 on: March 07, 2016, 09:29:26 AM
jzskoorb

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 07, 2016, 09:29:26 AM »

I just talked with Over the Edge in Sedona - who appear to have purchased the Magic or Mystery Van (you all know it, retro 70's style van) - and they don't seem to be offering the Picketpost to Parker shuttle. At least the guy I talked to didn't think so.

Any other options that people know of? I'd rather not do the option into Tuscon, and have to find a place to stay and then get up early to drive down the morning of the race...but I guess if that's all there is, I'll do it.

I am also looking for a shuttle from Picketpost to Parker. I am driving from NorCal so I would be open to working out a self shuttle if we can't find a service. I can carry 2 plus myself in my vehicle.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #212 on: March 07, 2016, 09:32:51 AM
Beardog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: March 07, 2016, 09:32:51 AM »

There are several shuttles from Tucson (or Patagonia) to Sierra Vista as well as to the monument which is pretty close to the start for either ride -- see the ATA webpage below - I have a few e mails out to them and waiting to hear back.On guy wanted like $98. I think a uber would be cheaper.

[url]http://www.aztrail.org/shuttles.html/url]

Beardog

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #213 on: March 07, 2016, 09:56:20 AM
Beardog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: March 07, 2016, 09:56:20 AM »

I just spoke to the ranger for that district and it is no problem to bike from Sierra Vista down to the 750 start which is about 25 miles. Really easy - SH 92 to Montezuma Canyon Road and left down the border road to the fence.

Beardog

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #214 on: March 07, 2016, 09:56:41 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: March 07, 2016, 09:56:41 AM »

Had few people inquire about services so we thought we'd post some deets. We need at least 4 people to make these shuttles work so we thought since you all are on the forum, you might have friends that are participating with you. So spread the word that there's a service out there that will work with you. Option 1- We can pick up at the Picket post Trail head(Superior) Thursday afternoon/evening and shuttle you to Tucson. Then an early am(6amish) shuttle on Friday am to Parker Canyon Lake so that you are there by suggested 8am start. Option 2- Just shuttle from Tucson to PCL on Friday. Price is $85 for option 1 and $45 for option 2. Spread the word and leave the driving to us!! Happy to answer any other questions offline if needed. 52zero 23svn zeroonetwoniner Cheers!

Give Tara a call at Homegrown MTB. They are offering an option to go from Picketpost to Tuscon, and then on to Parker Lake on Thursday. I just booked a spot.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #215 on: March 07, 2016, 10:34:39 AM
jzskoorb

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 07, 2016, 10:34:39 AM »

Give Tara a call at Homegrown MTB. They are offering an option to go from Picketpost to Tuscon, and then on to Parker Lake on Thursday. I just booked a spot.

Just spoke with Tara and booked my spot. She still has spots left if anyone else is looking for a ride.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #216 on: March 07, 2016, 11:15:06 AM
taprider

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 07, 2016, 11:15:06 AM »

Oracle Ridge is rated 4 out of 5 on the mtbr.com trail review site
http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-states-trails/trails-arizona/trail/oracle-ridge/prd_164553_4513crx.aspx
whereas the bike pack rating seems to be 1 out of 5
I'm planning to tour southbound from Phoenix to the start of the 750
wondering about looping Oracle, Tucson, Summerhaven, Oracle to ride Mt Lemmon northbound
or are there way more fun ways to descend Mt Lemmon?

Google Earth shows roads and trails through BioDome to get from Oracle to Tucson
is there a nice, fun and/or easy low route from Oracle to Tucson to avoid the highway?

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #217 on: March 07, 2016, 02:22:40 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: March 07, 2016, 02:22:40 PM »

I just spoke to the ranger for that district and it is no problem to bike from Sierra Vista down to the 750 start which is about 25 miles. Really easy - SH 92 to Montezuma Canyon Road and left down the border road to the fence.

Yep, it's pretty straightforward, and definitely open.  Hefty climb up to the pass, but, what's a few thousand feet between friends?

Beardog, that was a nice 'call out' of Aaron for the triple, but I'm afraid that a summer on the CDT trumps the triple crown.  Maybe you should reconsider your summer plans?  Smiley

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #218 on: March 07, 2016, 03:16:17 PM
Gimmearaise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: March 07, 2016, 03:16:17 PM »

Hey folks, quick question for the veterans. Who actually takes their cleats out when hiking through the ditch? Seems like it would be a pain.

WWW.BikepackingSummit.com

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #219 on: March 07, 2016, 04:04:31 PM
wolfmansbro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: March 07, 2016, 04:04:31 PM »

Booked a flight for two people to Tucson. Arriving at 11am on Thursday. Now we just need to figure out the best way to get the bikes there and a shuttle from Tucson to the start of the 750. Open to jump on a shuttle with some people.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: