Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #100 on: February 15, 2016, 07:46:54 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2016, 07:46:54 AM »

@Andy - Thanks, I saw that but it doesn't mention the non-chain convenience store next to the farmer's market [not the Broadway cluster of businesses]. I did the 300 two years ago. Perhaps it was gone last year, but I didn't do the AZT last year. I'll go back and comb thru the 2015 thread...
Backstory - I have a soft spot in my heart for that convenience store because of a hard spot on my ass. I bought some triple-biotic ointment there out of desperation to fix a bad case of monkey butt on the morning of the second day. The pain of sitting in the saddle was almost bringing me to tears. Dropping in there literally saved my ass. I also like to support local businesses when possible, instead of a chain like Circle-K...
And the Circle-K I'm zooming on in Google Maps is technically on Tanque Verde, not Redington... Just trying to work thru all the details. The Devil's in the details, right...

Hey Yogi,
Sorry, I figured you would have read through all of this so far..I bike toured through there last November and that store was closed down. Last year during the race a few of stopped at the actual farmers market and got food, drinks etc, but nothing in the form of convenience store extras like butt fix etc...
Locals, verification?

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #101 on: February 15, 2016, 01:45:57 PM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2016, 01:45:57 PM »

Speakin' of more stores I hope are open and not closed down. General store atop Summerhaven. My mouth is hoping they are open when I pedal thru so I can get some of their awesome toffee...
And the [non-chain] mini market in Oracle which had made-to-order deli/sandwiches...
Sorry, guess I'm still hungry after lunch... -B

Edit: Since I'm on the topic of food. When I hit Patagonia in 2014, I stopped at the Velvet Elvis and ordered a large pizza. With a name like that, I had to stop and check it out. Highly recommended for anyone biking thru. I ate as much as I could, packed some to eat later, but still had to giveaway a couple slices...

...store was closed down...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 02:00:49 PM by Yogi the Barry » Logged

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #102 on: February 15, 2016, 01:57:50 PM
rick miller

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2016, 01:57:50 PM »

And the [non-chain] mini market in Oracle which had made-to-order deli/sandwiches...

Sorry to burst your bubble Barry, but that was closed last year too.  A rough year for convenience stores in AZ.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #103 on: February 15, 2016, 02:08:06 PM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2016, 02:08:06 PM »

Rick,
Good to know. All things must come to an end I guess. And if you know that the Velvet Elvis is closed, don't even let me know. Keep that sad bit of beta to yourself. That would be the final straw and I'd have no reason to ride the AZT again... [wink]
-B
Sorry to burst your bubble Barry, but that was closed last year too...

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #104 on: February 15, 2016, 03:31:48 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2016, 03:31:48 PM »

What are the various pros and cons of stopping in either Patagonia or Sonoita? Both seem to have decent resupply options...

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #105 on: February 15, 2016, 07:02:27 PM
rick miller

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2016, 07:02:27 PM »

What are the various pros and cons of stopping in either Patagonia or Sonoita? Both seem to have decent resupply options...
Best ice cream on the route in Patagonia, or so I'm told, but you'd have to confirm that with Yogi the Barry Wink

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #106 on: February 15, 2016, 07:32:53 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2016, 07:32:53 PM »

Both towns make great stops. Lots of good options for lots of food at either depending on what you're looking for. Also depending on how cooked you are coming out of the Canello's you might want to take break in Patagonia. If you're feeling good and don't need it it's an hour or so up the road to Sonoita.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #107 on: February 16, 2016, 08:09:09 AM
jzskoorb

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2016, 08:09:09 AM »

Yogi...  Yes the rincon market is gone and you are right about the circle K being the closest alternative.  Sucks to lose such a convenient store!

Looks like the Albertsons on Broadway is only a mile further off route than the Cirkle K on Tanque Verde. I am assuming that Albertsons is still open?

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #108 on: February 16, 2016, 08:10:43 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2016, 08:10:43 AM »

Jeff & I were out riding the Boulders-Ripsey segment on Saturday. Some thoughts on the trail: The first 5 miles or so of Boulders from the Freeman cache are getting rutted up and were more sandy than I remembered. Still rode fine, just be alert. After the counter weighted gate the trail was in great shape.

For those not familiar, the Boulders segment is 10 miles of easy singletrack that dumps out onto a jeep road under some large humming powerlines. This section is meh, but short. The next piece of trail begins the Ripsey segment on some seldom used singletrack. The trail rides fine, but let me tell you, I've ridden this section numerous times and I still miss turns!! Even with a GPS. The trail just doesn't see a lot of traffic, so it can be a little difficult to navigate. Again. be alert for turns!! The good news? Most of the off-shoots deadend pretty quick.

The trail then returns to some easier pedaling jeep road before returning to singletrack for the Ripsey wash descent. There's a large silver gate that marks the beginning of the drop. This is where things got interesting, for the better! The trail through here has received some love lately: catclaw - GONE. Rock chasm - partially filled in & rideable! All the wash crossings - rideable. Water source in the metal tub - FULL. Severely eroded jeep road climb - Still the same, but rideable!! The large sandy wash leading to the final gate before the Big Hill - Dredged and packed down - Rideable!! It was my first time through here without as much as a dab from gate-to-gate. This section rode really well.

There was a bit of work done on the lower Big Hill switchbacks as well, mostly just the brushing of baseball sized loose rock. It was also around here that the wildflowers began to really show. I hope they are still around in April, because in a couple of weeks the Gila area is going to explode with color.

As for the re-route, Scott or Tim can probably chime in more, but it seems it's still a ways off. It shouldn't affect this year's event. We did see the flagging while coming down off the ridgeline. It begins at the base of the second climb, the one that has some HAB before the long switchback attack section.

I'll be putting together a blog post this week from the ride, took a bunch of pics as usual.

Less than 2 months away now...starting to feel like spring in these parts. I just wish the mid-80's temps would go away for a bit, somehow we skipped from having daily highs in the 50's & 60's right to 85. It supposed to be in the low 70's this time of year in PHX!! /weather rant

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #109 on: February 16, 2016, 08:39:32 AM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2016, 08:39:32 AM »

Re: Albertsons on Broadway - Best bet would be to call and confirm with a warm body...

Speaking of calling to confirm...

Re: Summerhaven General Store - I spoke with the owner yesterday [name?] and although his store is scheduled to only be open from 10AM-6PM, he's a fan of the AZT and will try to extend his business hours to accommodate us. Two years ago I walked in and they knew my name because they had been stalking AZT riders on Tackleaders.com. He did mention that last year he had to close the store in order to attend his son's out of town track meet. He confirmed his schedule and said there would be no date conflict this year over the April 15th weekend...
Looks like the Albertsons on Broadway is only a mile further off route than the Cirkle K on Tanque Verde. I am assuming that Albertsons is still open?

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #110 on: February 16, 2016, 11:28:15 AM
Sam Aspacher

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2016, 11:28:15 AM »

The Albertsons is open. Going there today to pick up eggs and blueberries. There's also a Walgreens at Broadway and Houghton.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #111 on: February 16, 2016, 11:35:23 AM
jzskoorb

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2016, 11:35:23 AM »

Ok, I stopped being lazy and called.

Albertson's is open 6am -12am. Walgreens is open 7am-10pm.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #112 on: February 16, 2016, 11:53:09 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2016, 11:53:09 AM »

In that area there's a McDicks and Starbucks that I went to. It's about 2 or so flat miles ride (each way) off course but may be necessary for some.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #113 on: February 16, 2016, 02:24:02 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2016, 02:24:02 PM »

ATA news from Feb 12. I can't comment if any of this [survey crews?] impacts this year's course, but sounds like it will in the future. For those not feeling the love for the Ripsey section, this might be a good thing...

Myself and AZT 300 finisher Neil Stitzer just completed the survey for the 6.2 mile reroute.  It'll be an improved trail, for sure, but it will definitely not affect this year's route.

Last I heard it could be ~10 years before anything moves on this, but I suppose if the price of copper starts rising, it could be sooner.  You never know.

The only potential change I know about (for the 750) is courtesy of John Schilling and would be more dirt + trail in the Apache Junction area.  I just need to get out and see the whole thing.  That decision will be made no later than a month out (March ~15th).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:54:44 PM by ScottM » Logged

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #114 on: February 16, 2016, 04:52:01 PM
taprider

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2016, 04:52:01 PM »

will it be decided before the start if we ride the road or trail on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon?
or is it up to the individual and just about everyone so far has chosen to ride the road for the AZTR

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #115 on: February 16, 2016, 04:56:24 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2016, 04:56:24 PM »

will it be decided before the start if we ride the road or trail on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon?
or is it up to the individual and just about everyone so far has chosen to ride the road for the AZTR

Actually Ron Thomson and Bill Swami rode the trail in ... 2014 I believe.  Also on my first ITT of the "AZT" (Andrea's route) in 2005, I rode in the Fall and took the trail.

But, yes, de facto the road is always allowed.  Mega style points for taking the trail.  Most years snow makes it all but impossible.

If there are any other allowed snow detours, that will be announced in advance.  Thanks for the question.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #116 on: February 19, 2016, 11:33:10 AM
worntreads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2016, 11:33:10 AM »

Anyone got any good dirt routes from the finish to SLC?
I figure if I catch the Amtrak from there it will drop me off around the block from my house. And why stop the adventure when the race is over?

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #117 on: February 19, 2016, 05:28:28 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2016, 05:28:28 PM »

Anyone got any good dirt routes from the finish to SLC?
I figure if I catch the Amtrak from there it will drop me off around the block from my house. And why stop the adventure when the race is over?

http://www.bikepacking.net/tripreports/great-western-trail-fishlake-nf-utah/

This map https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwid8YvdloXLAhUBW2MKHc2NDDoQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.zionnational-park.com%2Fgsmap.htm&psig=AFQjCNEcD0g3f0gbHj1JXiL7g8tVDpOEyw&ust=1456017690269930 shows a dirt road labeled Cottonwood Canyon heading north from just east of the road (not shown) heading north from the trail head. You would have to ride pavement on 89 to get from The Wave to Cottonwood there's also a BLM office with a water source out that way.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #118 on: February 19, 2016, 05:39:08 PM
worntreads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2016, 05:39:08 PM »

Thanks AZTripper!
I'll throw together a gpx and share it up here when I'm done! Hopefully I'll finish around the same time as someone who is up for that adventure!

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #119 on: February 20, 2016, 06:13:42 AM
Flagster

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2016, 06:13:42 AM »

The spigot is just west of the bathrooms in the TH parking lot on your right just before the ranger station on the left.

Does anyone know when pallisades is usually turned on.  We rode mt lemmon last week and the spigot was off for the winter I presume
  Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: