Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #80 on: January 26, 2016, 08:12:50 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2016, 08:12:50 PM »

I don't know of any other sections changing or that need an update at this time.

We have a ride to do, remember?!? Smiley

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #81 on: January 28, 2016, 04:39:11 PM
honkonbobo

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2016, 04:39:11 PM »

i am planning to do the 300 and like a lot of others trying to figure out a way down to parker canyon lake from either tucson or phoenix before the race and from superior after the race.  haven't booked a flight yet so could do either.

i would love to split the cost of a shuttle/gas/whatever with anyone looking to do the same or anyone with room that could take on another rider. 

anyone?  thx, Eric

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #82 on: January 31, 2016, 09:10:53 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2016, 09:10:53 AM »

I just joined the ATA, and have been reading my new guidebook. Sitting here on a wintry day picturing myself among the Saguaro is getting me all giddy! I am in for the 300 if I can get everything lined up.

I think I saw earlier in this thread or perhaps in the Rule Changes thread that someone will post info about the Picketpost shuttle down to Parker Canyon. Is that accurate, or is the shuttle something we should be organizing on our own?

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #83 on: January 31, 2016, 02:03:50 PM
xcracer

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2016, 02:03:50 PM »

People will start posting shuttle probably in march or so.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #84 on: February 01, 2016, 11:11:40 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2016, 11:11:40 AM »

I was out on the AZT this past Saturday going northbound from Tiger Mine to Freeman rd. Gotta say, that's the best shape I've seen that section of trail ever. I'm not sure exactly what made it so, no obvious work could be seen but it's clear some minor cleanup has made a huge difference. This doesn't mean this section is now easy or anything, but it wasn't quite as soul sucking as I remembered. Catclaw wasn't an issue either, but then again it was still January!

Another note: it's going to be a banner year for desert wildflowers. Scott made the first sighting last week near the AZT & Kelvin by the Gila and I too spotted a bunch much higher in elevation on a ride up the AZT on passage 18. (North of Picketpost)

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #85 on: February 09, 2016, 07:44:26 PM
Flagster

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2016, 07:44:26 PM »

rode from kentucky camp(ish) to the cave on Monday...trail is in great shape...just me and the roadrunners

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #86 on: February 10, 2016, 09:10:51 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2016, 09:10:51 AM »

We have a ride to do, remember?!? Smiley

Yes, I realized a little later I was in err.  Hopefully the route will change for the better in the far east Phoenix area.  I need to get up there.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #87 on: February 11, 2016, 10:56:05 AM
hollyboro

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2016, 10:56:05 AM »

Hi everyone, I am thinking of riding the AZ trail from north to south at around the same time the race is happening. Was wondering if anyone starting at the south end is interested in doing a car trade for the start so we can each (ideally, if everything goes well) finish at our own cars?

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #88 on: February 11, 2016, 12:10:06 PM
honkonbobo

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2016, 12:10:06 PM »

Hi everyone, I am thinking of riding the AZ trail from north to south at around the same time the race is happening. Was wondering if anyone starting at the south end is interested in doing a car trade for the start so we can each (ideally, if everything goes well) finish at our own cars?

I could be interested in that if I could work out some details.  Are you talking 750 or 300?

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #89 on: February 11, 2016, 12:20:02 PM
hollyboro

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2016, 12:20:02 PM »

I could be interested in that if I could work out some details.  Are you talking 750 or 300?

Sorry, should've specified. 750. I haven't worked out details on my end yet either, so I'm quite flexible at this point--happy to discuss options!

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #90 on: February 12, 2016, 06:59:18 AM
IanMac

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2016, 06:59:18 AM »

Hi everyone
1st posting here but been following forum for a while. I'm in for the 750, and planning to do the triple crown this year. I'm  living and working in Antarctica and haven't been able to ride a bike for the last 18 months. Really looking forward to seeing Arizona! I'm flying to the USA mid March and looking for a place to stay in/near Phoenix while I sort out my bike and get some riding done. Hoping to ride to the start. Anyone in Phoenix area able to help with logistics and/or fancy some riding?
Ian

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #91 on: February 12, 2016, 08:51:00 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2016, 08:51:00 AM »

...haven't been able to ride a bike for the last 18 months.

What? No fatbikes down there!  icon_biggrin

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #92 on: February 12, 2016, 10:56:07 AM
IanMac

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2016, 10:56:07 AM »

We do have a spinbike in the gym here ... and I've been wishing we had a fatbike!
Ian

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #93 on: February 12, 2016, 09:29:10 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2016, 09:29:10 PM »

I'm trying my best to get here this year, with whatever setup I have available to use.  I'll be coming from Boulder, CO. The biggest hurtle is of course getting there (work is all figured out!), and getting back. "Getting back" may just be where the adventure truly starts, but getting down to the start could take some strategy.

I'm sure I could get a flight, or rent a car. I'm also open to sharing a rental to Tucson, or Pheonix, and shuttling it from there. Just let me know (pm me, etc) if you too are looking for some help with sharing expenses and are on the frontrange somewhere.

My first go at this in... 2013? Ended before the first day was finished, with a complete body shutdown (food poisoning?). I was saved the next morning by a passing off-duty border patrolman that didn't seem to like me hitchhiking, but felt enough pity for me to treat me to a few liters of IV fluid to get me on my way.

So, scores to settle Wink

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #94 on: February 13, 2016, 06:03:40 AM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2016, 06:03:40 AM »

ATA news from Feb 12. I can't comment if any of this [survey crews?] impacts this year's course, but sounds like it will in the future. For those not feeling the love for the Ripsey section, this might be a good thing...

"The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers recently released a draft Environmental Impact Statement on a proposed project that would severely impact the Arizona National Scenic Trail in the Ripsey Wash area along the Tortilla Mountains Passage south of the Gila River.

For anyone who has hiked, run or ridden along the Tortilla Mountains Passage, Ripsey Wash comprises the most interesting topographical feature of the entire 28.4-mile section. The Arizona Trail was intentionally routed through here because of its dramatic scenery and outstanding natural resource values. The proposed project would fill Ripsey Wash with mine tailings from Asarco's Ray Mine, located nearby.

You can review the draft EIS online here. Please send your comments before March 21, when the Corps will close the official public comment period.

The silver lining to this potentially devastating impact is that Asarco has agreed to pay for new trail construction to avoid the project area. A 6.2-mile realignment of the Arizona Trail has been studied and surveyed, and a grade line staking crew was deployed earlier this month to establish the best possible route through this rugged and beautiful country. Trail professionals are working together to ensure this potential new segment of AZT will meet National Scenic Trail standards and will be of the same caliber as the trail built through the Gila River Canyons (Passage 16) to the north."

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #95 on: February 13, 2016, 04:01:42 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2016, 04:01:42 PM »

I would rather see this existing mine expand then see the new one at Rosemont, tho both may lead to easier trail being built. 

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #96 on: February 14, 2016, 09:42:35 AM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2016, 09:42:35 AM »

Re: Tucson convenience store(s)

It's my understanding that the convenience store next to the Rincon Farmer's Market, on the left as you pedal into Tucson proper, is no longer in business, correct?
Which means the next closest store to the course, other than all the options on Broadway, is the Circle-K on Redington, correct? From perusing Google Maps guess it's not technically Redington, but town-side name for Redington, right past what looks like a golf course community... [?]
If any of you locals know of another option and/or have an update, please feel free to comment...

-Barry

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #97 on: February 14, 2016, 12:36:14 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2016, 12:36:14 PM »

Re: Tucson convenience store(s)

It's my understanding that the convenience store next to the Rincon Farmer's Market, on the left as you pedal into Tucson proper, is no longer in business, correct?
Which means the next closest store to the course, other than all the options on Broadway, is the Circle-K on Redington, correct? From perusing Google Maps guess it's not technically Redington, but town-side name for Redington, right past what looks like a golf course community... [?]
If any of you locals know of another option and/or have an update, please feel free to comment...

-Barry

Reply #66 and a bit downwards on page 4 of this thread talks a bit about the Tucson/Rincon changes etc...

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #98 on: February 15, 2016, 06:30:51 AM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2016, 06:30:51 AM »

@Andy - Thanks, I saw that but it doesn't mention the non-chain convenience store next to the farmer's market [not the Broadway cluster of businesses]. I did the 300 two years ago. Perhaps it was gone last year, but I didn't do the AZT last year. I'll go back and comb thru the 2015 thread...
Backstory - I have a soft spot in my heart for that convenience store because of a hard spot on my ass. I bought some triple-biotic ointment there out of desperation to fix a bad case of monkey butt on the morning of the second day. The pain of sitting in the saddle was almost bringing me to tears. Dropping in there literally saved my ass. I also like to support local businesses when possible, instead of a chain like Circle-K...
And the Circle-K I'm zooming on in Google Maps is technically on Tanque Verde, not Redington... Just trying to work thru all the details. The Devil's in the details, right...
Reply #66 and a bit downwards on page 4 of this thread talks a bit about the Tucson/Rincon changes etc...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 06:35:55 AM by Yogi the Barry » Logged

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #99 on: February 15, 2016, 07:39:10 AM
bncrshr77

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2016, 07:39:10 AM »

Yogi...  Yes the rincon market is gone and you are right about the circle K being the closest alternative.  Sucks to lose such a convenient store!
  Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: