Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #60 on: January 15, 2016, 06:57:28 PM
Bandok

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2016, 06:57:28 PM »

These questions have been asked a few times, but I haven't seen answers.
1. Any suggestions for getting to the start of the 750? My plan is to fly to Tucson but don't know how to get to the start line from there.
2. Once finished and at the Utah border what is the best way to go. I'm looking to ride to civilization to rent a car. To where should I ride? What is the safest/quickest route?

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #61 on: January 15, 2016, 10:28:20 PM
carbonguy

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2016, 10:28:20 PM »

Looking forward to a Highline report, too.  It's been slated for major rehaul for many years, it's just finally starting to happen.

Is there any change in the AZTR-2014-rev1.gpx due to this or other trail adjustments?

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #62 on: January 16, 2016, 08:42:05 AM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2016, 08:42:05 AM »

More answers than you can shake a stick at in past year's AZTR threads, but that can be a hassle to search back through to find the right forum threads.  Still worthwhile for the gems of info that are there, if you can tease apart what's still current from what's out-dated.  To spare you some hassle, here's my 2c:

1. Any suggestions for getting to the start of the 750? My plan is to fly to Tucson but don't know how to get to the start line from there.
a. Arrive a few days early and ride from Tucson (adventure points!);
b. Online search and book a ride from one of the handful of commercial shuttle services to/from Sierra Vista, then ride from there up and over Montezuma Pass;
c. Follow this forum as ColoRADo/Wyoming/Idaho peeps start organizing shuttles (will heat up in March), and hitch a ride with one of several groups - the 750 peeps driving down from the North sometimes drop a car at Stateline CG or the nearby TH, thereby having a ride out at the end waiting;
d. Follow this forum for word of locals that are just plain cool and awesome and offer rides (thank you Steve Osborne, circa 2014!);
e. One of the bikes shops (from Sierra Vista I think) has done a shuttle van the past few years - to Parker Cyn TH though, then you ride the 14m South to the border start (either night before or morning of); there were several riders last year that pedaled the P.Cyn TH to the border prologue.
f. Spearhead your own PNW shuttle group ... maybe I'm going for a 3rd 750 start in a row - I'm not sure yet, maybe Addy from Vancouver (CA) is going again? headbang thumbsup

These questions have been asked a few times, but I haven't seen answers.
2. Once finished and at the Utah border what is the best way to go. I'm looking to ride to civilization to rent a car. To where should I ride? What is the safest/quickest route?
a. Can't speak for safety, as that's variable, but based on my experience I'd ride North then West to Kanab, there's a dirt road cut off in there and the 89 has wide shoulder; shortest compared to East to Page or South to 89A, but may not be the quickest depending on your energy levels and which way the wind is blowing;  Kanab is SW touristy for sure due to proximity to Zion;  I wanted to fly out of LV, so I went Kanab->St George (hotel)->LV (airport shuttle from St G);  some peeps want to exit via Flagstaff, so they ride East to Page then go from there; at one point I thought I'd ride back to Jacob Lake, but it's all downhill from there to the finish so the closer I got to the finish the less appealing that option was and JLake doesn't have much (understatement);
b. In case you're tempted to hitch hike - still 'illegal' in Utah as far as I know, so riding south to the 89A in AZ is better option for hitching but less traveled of a road compared to the 89 in Utah, and slightly more remote;
c. Change your mind on riding out from the fin? - Find out who's gonna have a "drop car" at Stateline or the nearby TH for The Wave and get lucky, or pedal up to the TH from the fin and get lucky with catching a ride; Wink

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #63 on: January 16, 2016, 09:52:57 AM
NATURAID

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2016, 09:52:57 AM »

Ciao, I am Italian and for me it is much difficult to understand, but I take information from all.
Thanks for these information.
I am to Tucson the 12 April.
Ciao Mauri

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #64 on: January 16, 2016, 10:52:32 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2016, 10:52:32 AM »

More answers than you can shake a stick at in past year's AZTR threads, but that can be a hassle to search back through to find the right forum threads.  Still worthwhile for the gems of info that are there, if you can tease apart what's still current from what's out-dated.  To spare you some hassle, here's my 2c:.......
f. Spearhead your own PNW shuttle group ... maybe I'm going for a 3rd 750 start in a row - I'm not sure yet, maybe Addy from Vancouver (CA) is going again? headbang thumbsup

Mike Pro for the win.. All goes well I'll be in Tucson on the 12th or so. Haven't sorted a ride yet but as Mike pointed out things will begin to get organized closer to the event date.
For the 750 start, I *think* most just ride down, from Parker and camp out the night before, the 750 people will chime in once event day gets closer.
You coming down again Mike? I was out in the rain yesterday, balmy low/mid 30's to low 40's depending on elevation... gotta love the January rides!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 10:59:15 AM by Addy Marx » Logged

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #65 on: January 23, 2016, 08:58:58 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2016, 08:58:58 PM »

Just noticed on Google maps that the Safeway in Tucson off of Broadway rd is listed as 'permanently closed'. There appears to be an Albertson's about a mile farther west on Broadway rd. Any locals care to confirm?

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #66 on: January 23, 2016, 09:17:29 PM
SlowRide

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2016, 09:17:29 PM »

For the 750 start, I *think* most just ride down, from Parker and camp out the night before

That's what many of us did last year. I got dropped off by a shuttle at Parker, hung out with the 300 racers for a bit and got my gear on my bike. From Parker it was 14.9 miles to the border according to my Strava(1388' of climbing), a bit of singletrack and then dirt roads. Rode it into the moonlight, was a great ride for the night before. Slept right at the start on the border fences. Last year there was a border patrol bust somewhere close to the start the night before so there were quite a few border patrol vehicles making their way through the area for a bit while riding the dirt roads, just make sure to be careful coming around blind curves etc. and make sure you're lit up if riding down around dusk or into the night.

Going that one more round, when you don't think you can. That's what makes all the difference in your life.
--Rocky Balboa

http://twelvemilesperhour.blogspot.com

TDR 2014, AZTR750 2015, CTR 2015

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #67 on: January 23, 2016, 11:34:08 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2016, 11:34:08 PM »

Just noticed on Google maps that the Safeway in Tucson off of Broadway rd is listed as 'permanently closed'. There appears to be an Albertson's about a mile farther west on Broadway rd. Any locals care to confirm?

When I toured through there a month and a half ago I biked in along Broadway and didn't notice a Safeway, I was riding in the dark but would have noticed it as I was looking for that kind of stuff. I stopped at McDicks and the Starbucks on Broadway at Houghton. The whole time I was thinking.... in the race this would be a fair haul out of the way to get a snack. But if you got to, you got to.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #68 on: January 24, 2016, 05:18:23 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2016, 05:18:23 AM »

Yes good spot the Safeway changed owners and then shut down. The next thing is the Circle K on Reddington seems like that's where most go for a quicker in and out.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #69 on: January 25, 2016, 07:21:46 AM
dkirk

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2016, 07:21:46 AM »

Hey you locals, any problem with getting to the start at Parker Canyon and riding the Canelo hills section to Patagonia this time of year? Weather wise sounds good this weekend but just don't want to be shut down by other unknowns.
Thanks

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #70 on: January 25, 2016, 03:47:31 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2016, 03:47:31 PM »

Patchy snow would be likely on some north facing slopes. Most likely not enough to put a stop to riding the whole thin, no guarantee's of course.

Tim

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #71 on: January 25, 2016, 04:01:43 PM
xcracer

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2016, 04:01:43 PM »

The snow shouldn't be too bad right now. I was down that way yesterday riding the Santa Rita's and I hit a very small patch around 5800ft in the shade.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #72 on: January 25, 2016, 04:24:05 PM
dkirk

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2016, 04:24:05 PM »

Thanks all,
One last question about the road into Parker Canyon lake(83), is it accessible with a standard sedan or should I get my friend with the jeep Cherokee to take me?

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #73 on: January 26, 2016, 03:52:33 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2016, 03:52:33 AM »

Only the last 1/2 mile is dirt.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #74 on: January 26, 2016, 05:12:18 AM
dkirk

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2016, 05:12:18 AM »

Yeah, after I posted that I found that info on another thread. I just wanted to be sure my driver wasn't going to have any "adventures" after dropping me off! Thanks for the reply, really looking forward to this as there is still a foot of snow up here!

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #75 on: January 26, 2016, 07:18:03 AM
xcracer

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2016, 07:18:03 AM »

I know it is rideable though as a friend of mine just rode from pcl up to pistol hill on the azt last week. Enjoy.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #76 on: January 26, 2016, 08:31:35 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2016, 08:31:35 AM »

Is there any change in the AZTR-2014-rev1.gpx due to this or other trail adjustments?

It is possible a new GPX could come from Highline reroutes.  But I'm not terribly worried about it since they should be obvious on the ground.

I don't know of any other sections changing or that need an update at this time.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #77 on: January 26, 2016, 08:39:15 AM
taprider

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2016, 08:39:15 AM »

Water strategy?
After looking at the various water source lists and limiting myself to Level 4 or at best Level 3 dependable sources with no trail magic or caches
Looks like I will need to pack water for 50 miles at a time
1 Pack extra water from Parker Lake backwards to the border, use extra water before the start
2 top up at Parker Lake if it looks like a really hot day
3 Patagonia
4 Sonoita
5 Kentucky Camp (does water from the spigot need filtering/treatment?)
6 Colossal Caves
7 various stores along the way through Tucson
8 Summerhaven
9 Oracle
10 Mtn, Bloodsucker or Beehive tanks (by the time I get to Freeman Rd cache, it may have been cleaned out)
11 Kelvin Trailercourt (probably less time than filtering/treating Gila River water)
12 Possible trail magic at Picket Post, but otherwise the golf course on the way to Apache Junction
12 Various towns Apache Junction to Pine
13 Ranger station, off trail, on way to Mormon Lake
14 Mormon Lake
15 Flagstaff
16 once past the ski hill doesn't look like much in the way of dependable water sources until Tusayan (this is where I have the biggest questions)
17 lots of potable sources through Grand Canyon
18 Jacob Lake
19 Carry extra for finish (or beg)

It looks like I will need to only filter/treat at Mtn/BS/BH Tanks (and possible Kentucky Camp) and what ever might be available Flag to Tusayan?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:43:14 AM by taprider » Logged

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #78 on: January 26, 2016, 10:05:12 AM
SlowRide

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2016, 10:05:12 AM »

Kentucky Camp has potable water, no need to treat or search there.

Going that one more round, when you don't think you can. That's what makes all the difference in your life.
--Rocky Balboa

http://twelvemilesperhour.blogspot.com

TDR 2014, AZTR750 2015, CTR 2015

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #79 on: January 26, 2016, 10:37:29 AM
rick miller

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2016, 10:37:29 AM »

depending on the time of day you ride the Gila, you may want to filter before you leave the river.  The ride to Picketpost is notorious for leaving people thirsty.  There is a good tank near the high point between Flag and Tusayan, near Humphries Peak, but you'll want to filter, then no reliable water until Tusayan.
  Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: