Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #40 on: December 11, 2015, 10:57:38 PM
davew

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2015, 10:57:38 PM »

#18.   Palisades TH (spigot mid April to mid Nov.)         12 miles up the Highway 42 miles from Broadway in Tucson         

2016- The course is slightly different so mileage numbers between sources may be off.

With regards to water sources, where is the spigot at #18?  I hunted for it last year but ended up heading into the visitors centre for a drink to get me to Summerhaven.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #41 on: December 12, 2015, 03:44:10 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2015, 03:44:10 AM »

The spigot is just west of the bathrooms in the TH parking lot on your right just before the ranger station on the left.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #42 on: December 12, 2015, 08:00:37 AM
rick miller

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2015, 08:00:37 AM »

Hey so been looking at the Aztr 750 and was wondering about the portage through the grand canyon. It seems the most popular way to carry your bike is to strap it to a backpack. Do the fastest guys just walk in their bike shoes or do they bring some sort of ultra light running shoe? Also I have found methods of how to strap your bike to the back pack and plan on practicing that but how do folks get the backpack to the portage? Haven't tried yet but doubt it will fit in my revelation bags and hate to wear anything on my back even if it's empty.

Thanks in advance.

A few riders last year, myself included, carried just lightweight packstraps that could be attached directly to the frame. http://www.rei.com/product/671335/mountainsmith-strapettes worked well for me with a diy hip belt.  This doesn't tie you to carrying a backpack or possibly waiting for the Tusayan post office to open.

I can't speak to what the fastest guys (and gals) were wearing for shoes  icon_biggrin, but I use approach shoes and flat pedals so the choice isn't an issue.  Whatever you wear, you will need comfortable walking shoes for extensive hab other than the canyon.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #43 on: December 15, 2015, 10:54:59 AM
AZ_BikePacker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2015, 10:54:59 AM »

My first AZT 300 training ride:

I started from my car in Canelo around 11am and got back to my car at around 9:30pm thankfully alive.  Lots of lesions learn on my first training ride. 
I thought that it would take me about 3 hours to complete the 16 mile Canelo Hills East section of the Arizona Trail.  Five and half hours later I was relieved to reach the Canelo Pass Trailhead and the muddy dirt road back to my car.

I’m not sure how anyone can do this trail in 2 hours on a Mountain Bike because it felt like I spent more than 2 hours mounting and dismounting my bike.  The seeming endless hike-a-bike finally ended at what I thought was the jeep road leading down to Stock Tank.  About an hour later I found out that I took the wrong jeep trail (on the strava map you can see my back track).  After passing Stock Tank, darkness fell on me very quickly and because I thought that this would be a much easier ride I wasn’t worried about charging my lights (which were dead) or bringing any back-up lights.  In the end this was a life threatening mistake that added hours to my overall trek.

It was pitch black by the time I reached Middle Canyon and the end of the lovely jeep trail that I could actually ride.  If not for my GPS I would have had to wait until morning to continue on.  In hindsight, I should have taken Canelo Road back when it was day light, but I wanted to reach my goal of finishing this section of the trail because I only have four months left until the AZT 300.
Granted I did a third of the trail in just about total darkness only having a GPS to lead my way and there was lots of snow, so maybe my time wasn’t that bad given my stupidity and weather conditions.  There was no moon, but the clouds cleared a little letting some stars finally come out which relieved my fear getting too lost in the darkness.

Not joking in the least, there was a point on the trail while wringing out the water in my wet, but luckily wool wigwam socks (that were free from the Summit Hut outdoor sale), that I said out loud, “This is f-ing crazy”.  It was still daylight then and little did I know things would just get more difficult after the sun went down. 

Links to part of the ride on Strava:
https://www.strava.com/activities/449212850
https://www.strava.com/activities/449019150

* 12358248_984347708275533_1712143812_n.jpg (176.19 KB, 720x960 - viewed 1202 times.)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 01:01:41 PM by AZ_BikePacker » Logged

Did the AZT 300 for the first time this year (2016).  If anyone needs a place to stay about 40 minutes from the start I'm willing to host some air mattresses.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #44 on: December 19, 2015, 07:18:09 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2015, 07:18:09 PM »

Yikes, AZ_BikePacker, glad you are OK after that epic.  The Canelos are high enough that they can indeed be very cold and snowy this time of year!  We've even had snow and muck there on Day 1 of the event, some years.

I think you'll find the trail a lot more reasonable later in the season.  Even without snow and mud the trails aren't really traversed much over the summer, so they can be in rough shape.

Having said that, even with perfect conditions the Canelos always pack a punch!  They shred tires, desiccate riders to the bone and demoralize even some of the most stalwart of bikepackers.   

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #45 on: December 23, 2015, 07:58:01 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2015, 07:58:01 PM »

They shred tires, desiccate riders to the bone and demoralize even some of the most stalwart of bikepackers.   

Am I the only person out there that has actually enjoyed the Canelos?  Wink  I gotta say they would be less fun in the snow... unless I was on the fatbike.  Hmmm...

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #46 on: December 24, 2015, 04:30:44 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2015, 04:30:44 AM »

The Canelo's have always been a favorite section for me. It's not a section you want to rush, it has hurt people, you have to be ready to take the good with the bad. Joey I think you and I share a twisted passion for that which others loath. I've see you post about enjoying primitive trails, not simply fun and flowing but fully engaging, tight twisted perhaps, not everyone's cup of tea. Not that the AZT doesn't have fun and flow at times you just have to pay an entry fee.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #47 on: December 24, 2015, 05:56:56 AM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2015, 05:56:56 AM »

I even have a hashtag bequeathed by friends: #dontridewithjoey

I just tell 'em they don't know what they're missing.  There's some amazing stuff out there, and it's often difficult to access.

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #48 on: December 26, 2015, 08:03:59 AM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2015, 08:03:59 AM »

Excerpt below from the latest ATA newsletter. Not that I'd ever do it, on foot or pedaling, but this might inspire a pedal pusher out there...

On December 20th, Kathy and Ras Vaughan of Whidbey Island, Washington became the first people to yo-yo the 800-mile Arizona National Scenic Trail. For 93 days, this adventurous couple traversed the state of Arizona twice, starting at the US/Mexico border on September 18th, hiking to the Utah border and then immediately turning around and heading back, covering a total of 1,668 miles. They endured everything from 100-degree temperatures to several snowstorms during an unseasonably wet year as they thru-hiked the Arizona Trail...

Edit: Forgot to add...
http://www.ultrapedestrian.com/

and... HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 08:33:42 AM by Yogi the Barry » Logged

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #49 on: January 03, 2016, 05:49:10 PM
boatmana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2016, 05:49:10 PM »

A few riders last year, myself included, carried just lightweight packstraps that could be attached directly to the frame. http://www.rei.com/product/671335/mountainsmith-strapettes worked well for me with a diy hip belt.  This doesn't tie you to carrying a backpack or possibly waiting for the Tusayan post office to open.

I can't speak to what the fastest guys (and gals) were wearing for shoes  icon_biggrin, but I use approach shoes and flat pedals so the choice isn't an issue.  Whatever you wear, you will need comfortable walking shoes for extensive hab other than the canyon.

Have any pics of that setup?

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #50 on: January 03, 2016, 06:36:19 PM
rick miller

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2016, 06:36:19 PM »

Have any pics of that setup?

* 20150323_204534.jpg (149.04 KB, 768x432 - viewed 1007 times.)

* 20150321_172501 (2).jpg (199.89 KB, 540x960 - viewed 989 times.)

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #51 on: January 04, 2016, 09:16:20 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2016, 09:16:20 AM »

Looks pretty slick, Rick. How much do you suppose it all weighed thru the Canyon?

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #52 on: January 04, 2016, 10:54:39 AM
rick miller

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2016, 10:54:39 AM »

Looks pretty slick, Rick. How much do you suppose it all weighed thru the Canyon?

Didn't have to carry a lot of food or water, so I'm guessing around 45 lbs.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #53 on: January 04, 2016, 04:05:54 PM
Snowbd2u

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2016, 04:05:54 PM »

Is there a printed map of this route? I guess I'm old school. Haha. Trying to see if I can make the race this year prior to a GC kayaking trip.

http://vabikepacker.blogspot.com/

You only have one life to live, what are you going to do with it

Josh

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #54 on: January 05, 2016, 08:49:10 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2016, 08:49:10 AM »

Is there a printed map of this route? I guess I'm old school. Haha. Trying to see if I can make the race this year prior to a GC kayaking trip.

Probably start here:
http://www.aztrail.org/

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #55 on: January 06, 2016, 06:24:01 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2016, 06:24:01 AM »

AZT then the canyon that would be an incredible combo. Back in 04 I met a hiker who had maps of the whole trail. You'll never get enough detail without numerous pages of blown up maps. The hiker was using mail drops for food and had maps packets in each shipment.

Tim

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #56 on: January 09, 2016, 06:31:51 PM
davew

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2016, 06:31:51 PM »

Probably start here:
http://www.aztrail.org/
AZT then the canyon that would be an incredible combo. Back in 04 I met a hiker who had maps of the whole trail. You'll never get enough detail without numerous pages of blown up maps. The hiker was using mail drops for food and had maps packets in each shipment.

Tim

You can download all the maps by section from the ATA site and you will need to put your hand in your pocket for the privilege of being a member but its well worth it. You can download the PDFs and cue sheets, I chose to put them on my phone though you could print out over 40 pages of maps. There is a mountain bike data book, mountain bike map alternatives and there is some good data on water and supply towns.  You will be wanting to compare the race  gpx file against the maps and note any variations. It's a great start for your research. If you are using Basecamp or the like you can find the approximate location of water sources from water table then take the coordinate and enter it into google maps.  Using the satellite image it is possible to see exactly where it is. Right click and select 'whats here' to get the coordinate to put back into Basecamp. The cue sheet only offers a chainage along the route for the majority of water sources, this will allow you to find water with better position/location accuracy.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #57 on: January 12, 2016, 01:10:47 AM
NATURAID

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2016, 01:10:47 AM »

Good day to all. I have bought the flight ticket is I will be to Tucson day 12 april to the 22:01. I will be the 15 to the start of the az 750. I try to organize arrival in Messico border end  to the finish and then organize to arrive to Las Vegas. Ciao from Italy Mauri

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #58 on: January 12, 2016, 01:15:14 AM
NATURAID

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2016, 01:15:14 AM »

Here is what I posted in the 2014 planning thread:

Tims table from 2012:

# 1.    Bear Creek (spring fed) crosses under road.         6.5 miles N of the Border           
# 2.   Parker Creek (dam fed)               2.5 miles N of Parker TH Starting line           
# 3.   Cott Tank (solar pwd) spigot (no bikes inside fence)   4.5 miles N of Canelo Pass 19.5 miles from the start         
# 4.   Patagonia (store      resterants   hotel   PO)                  31 miles from the start 
# 5.   Sonoita (store      resterants   hotel)                               
# 6.   Gardner Creek (rain/snow fed)            10.7 miles N of Sonita           
# 7.   Kentucky Camp (spigot)               6 miles N of Garner Creek 16. 5 from Sonoita             
# 8.   Oak Tree Canyon stock tank (well fed)         8 miles N of K Camp           
# 9.   The Lake (rain fed)               12.6 miles N of Oak Tree off course north on 2 track after forest gate.               
#10.   Cienga Creek under Three Bridges (all year)         2 miles north of I-10           
#11.   La Posta Quemada Ranch (sink off course)         2.6 miles from 3 Bridges .7 off           
#12.   La Sevilla Campground (spigot on rock)         2.3 miles from LPQ Jct. 41.6 from K Camp           
#13.   Tucson (store      resterants   hotel   PO)
#14.   Chiva Tank (rain)                  2.4 miles below Redington road           
#14.2 Tanke Verde Creek and water tanks jump fence            6.2 miles off Redington road           
#15.   The Lake (rain usually has water)            4 miles after crossing Redington road           
#16.   West Spring (spring fed) not great            3.5 miles past The Lake           
#17.   Molino water hole (rain snow melt)              up steam from trail crossing east of Highway         
#18.   Palisades TH (spigot mid April to mid Nov.)         12 miles up the Highway 42 miles from Broadway in Tucson         
#19.   Summerhaven (visitor’s center      store   restaurant   rooms)   off course
#20.   Water Buffalo Oracle State Park            when the park reopens           
#21.    Oracle (stores      resterants   motel)            off course   
#22   Beehive Well (big metal tank not good)         19.5 miles north of Tiger mine rd.           
#23.   Freeman Road (water cache)               just north of Freeman Road           
#24.   Ripsey Wash spring (.2 miles south of trail stay on road)   18.7 miles north of Freeman Road           
#25.   Pinal Co Maintenance Yard; 0.1 m north of Kelvin bdg.      outside facet available M-Th      6:30am-3:30pm     
#26.   Wilson Trailer Court; 0.5m N Kelvin bdg.            outside facet phone also available if needed             
#27.   They are now saying you can filter the Gila River    57.5 miles from Oracle               
#27a. There is a little creek 15.7 miles from the Kelvin Bridge turn onto jeep road and go north east for .4 drop into creek isn’t easy.           
#28.   Trough Spring         .25 miles off course go north on Telegraph canyon road 135 feet turn left on 2 track 7.5 miles from the finish line of the 300.           
#29.   From Picket Post to Hewett Station is 1.7 from here east its 1 mile to Boyce Thompson Arboretum or 4.5 to Superior or 22 miles to Stores at Apache Jct.           
#30.  Spigot at Lost Dutchman State Park 7.8 from Apache Jct.           
#31.  Tortilla Flat spigot at Campgound on left store on right 11 miles from LDSP.           
#32.  Burn Corral Camp Ground spigot 19.5 from TF.           
#33.  Cholla Bay Camp Ground spigot showers 10 miles from BCCG.           
#34.  Pumpkin Center stores restaurant 13 miles from Cholla Bay.         
#35.  Jakes Corner store bar and grill 10      5 from PC.   
#36.  Rye restaurant 8.5 from JC.         
#37.  Payson 11.8 from Rye.   
38- Oak Spring. 20.5 miles from Payson.         
#39.  Pine is 22 miles from Payson look for 2 track west of highway leads to town saves riding on highway.           
#40.  Red Rock spring 3.4 miles from Pine TH was dry at one point water reported 3/27/11           
#41   Pine spring 4.6 from TH water reported 3/27/11     
#42.  Weber Creek 7.8 miles from TH has always had water in the past.           
#43.  Bray Creek 11 miles from TH.           
#44.  North Sycamore Creek 12.2 from TH         
#45.  Chase Creek 13.8 from TH           
#46.  East Verde River 17.5 from TH         
#47.  General Springs Canyon starting at 1.5 from FS 300 several creek crossing always water         
#48.  East Clear Creek at 9.2 from FS 300 often a deep creek crossing has been dry in the past.           
#49.  Rock Crossing and Blue Ridge Camp Grounds only open mid May thru Oct.           
#50.  Blue Ridge Ranger Station spigot .8 east on highway 87     
#51.  Pine Spring 21 miles north of highway 87 .4 mile off course east of dirt road in field             
#52.  35.5 miles from 87 the AZT crosses FS 219 this is the first easy access to and from Mormon Lake 2 miles all rideable off course.
#53  Apache Spring Trail to Mormon Lake is .7 miles from FS 219 steep rocky trail is the shortest route less then one mile to Mormon Lake HAB back up.           
#54  Double Springs Camp Ground 4.5 miles from Apache Spring trail. Creek and spigot when Camp Ground open mid May to Oct. 3 miles all paved back to Mormon Lake.           
#55.  Pine Grove Camp Ground when open (mid May) has water and showers 9 miles from Double springs .5 off course           
#56.  Horse Lake typically has water 4 miles from Pine Grove.           
#57.  Flagstaff has everything 16 miles from Horse Lake.           
#58.  Buffalo Park on the north side of Flag has spigot (not sure when this gets turned on).           
#59.  Russell Tank is the most likely spot between Flag and Tusayan 70 miles from Buffalo Park.           
#60.  Tusayan 25 miles from Russell Tank.           
#61.  South Rim there is a spigot near corrals at Yaki Point.           
#62. There is a spigot after foot bridge 7 miles below Yaki Point and at Phantom ranch .5 farther.           
#63.  Cottonwood Camp 7 miles past Phantom spigot.           
#64.  Water fountain at North Kaibab TH not likely to be on. Water can be found at employee housing find ranger. water             
#65.  Crystal Spring 16 miles from North Kaibab TH           

#66.  Dog Lake and Wildlife Drinker 2.7 miles from Crystal Spring. The Wildlife drinker is just past Dog Lake on west edge of meadow.

There are other sources too. Fred G page shows a bunch. Route cues have a few. I have found at least one source myself on route not listed anywhere- found it looking through satellite pix one day.

Edit- added #38- Oak spring.

2016- The course is slightly different so mileage numbers between sources may be off.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #59 on: January 12, 2016, 01:18:22 AM
NATURAID

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2016, 01:18:22 AM »

Sorry
i dont andestend for me it is difficult to understand this with water places. It is coordinated gps available?
Tank you iao Mauri

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: