Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread on: August 27, 2015, 11:25:52 AM
taprider

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2015, 11:25:52 AM »

some Q's:
starts April 15 2016?
what do people typically do when they reach Utah? (middle of no-where isn't it?)
what is best method to pack your bike through the Grand Canyon?
does rain turn any portion into gumbo mud?
I don't yet own a cell phone (roaming charges would kill me with a Canadian phone) or tablet (can you skype with one?), would there be any wifi along the route that may be useful for finding supplies?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 10:29:33 AM by taprider » Logged

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 09:40:55 PM
bmattingly

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 09:40:55 PM »

The 750 ends at the Stateline campground on Utah border.  The last 25 miles are pretty good n isolated.  There is a forest service road that someone can drive out to pick you up at.  There are about a dozen campsites there.  Last cell phone reception is likely by Jacob Lake if you can get it there.  It can still get very cold on the North Rim in April.  Plan accordingly.  Packing your bike across the canyon is super tough.  I used a military pack with lots of straps but bikes just don't ride well on the back.  I split my hike up with a few hours sleep but got woken very early by some rim to rim to rim hikers.  I recommend doing some training hikes with bike on back to see how it rides and feels.  And also some hiking and riding consecutively. 

I don't know how close you live but the riding is likely pretty stellar out there right now into October.  Just bring a jacket now because of monsoons.  No monsoon in April. 

I thoroughly enjoyed my ride.  Preriding many of  the sections over a couple years helped me a lot, especially with routefinding.  Scott really put together one hell of an adventure.  I couldn't not do the long ride that comes right through the town I live in.

Good luck!

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 12:20:06 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 12:20:06 PM »

Yep, April 15th is GO time!! See you at the start line.

There are a few notable 'death mud' sections if wet: some of the hills north of Kentucky Camp derailed my plans in '12, farther north Anderson Mesa is a suckfest when dry - make it wet and you'll never forget it!! The north side of Humphrey's Peak near Missouri Bill Hill can also be brutal, that's a section of forest roads as you approach and drop down onto Babbitt Ranch.

As for the GC portage, there have been a few methods used for carrying across. I tried to document my setup prior to last year's event here, but I wasn't able to give it a try. (Had to withdraw after breaking my wrist in the spring)

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 12:30:51 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 12:30:51 PM »

So first the state line there's no water unless there are campers there. It's the middle of nowhere but one of the most popular hikes in the country "the Wave" is just up the road in Utah, so there's always people there. What people do depends on how confident they are. You could drive to the finish and work out a way to the start, if you confident you'll get there. Have someone you know watch the tracker and then they can gauge when to expect you to make the state line and just meet you there. People have had good luck just hitch biking out. Lots of outdoorsy types frequent the State Line TH Campground. Riding North or South will get you to paved highways and water sources within a reasonable distance. Many just bring plenty of food and water from Jacob Lake and wing it. The first year Mark C just hitch/biked it all the way home to front range CO, Kurt was so confident he started 8 days before his friends were due at "the Wave"! That's confident finish is 7 days or miss your ride, or motivation however you look at it.

Throw your bike away and just run the the finish, no going back for it tho that would constitute a cache. Or just man up and use a couple of straps to attach it to the ultralight pack your carrying. So far as I know this one has not been done with out a pack, but people use day packs or ultra lights and just take the pain of little or no padding. If you don't mind the third world look check out the trump line that one of the riders used last year. Just don't be these guys http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/whoops-mountain-bikers-ride-into-grand-canyon.html

There's one section of clay down south but its short, up north there are snow/mud detour sections that haven't been needed the last few years. The tracks are all there to down load and study and load into your gps, how the course comes off we'll know in April. They are talking about a big snow year and we could use it.

One of the riders last year came down from Canada as I recall the answer was to buy a $50 pay as you go phone, I think they are cheaper then that now. $100 would buy a nice phone http://sale.tracfone.com/?utm_source=IMM&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=DR&utm_content=sale&utm_term={keyword} These can be picked up at several stores all over the state as well as the cards that charge them. Not sure how skype works you would need the better phone with camera up front but yes there will be wifi along the course not often and maybe not right on course but at one of the resupply points in Tucson, Apache Jct, Payson, Flagstaff, Tusayon, S Rim.  

Tim
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 12:42:22 PM by AZTtripper » Logged

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 06:04:25 PM
asurlyranger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 06:04:25 PM »

Anyone planning on the 300?

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 03:29:14 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 03:29:14 AM »

Anyone planning on the 300?
Hell yeah! Can't wait.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 11:56:39 AM
IndyBikeBacker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 11:56:39 AM »

I'm planning on giving the 300 a go.

But I must decide what gear to change from my Great Divide route ride this year.  I'm thinking about a dynamo hub, and bivvy vs. tent.

- Chad

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 08:00:57 PM
MDSeaburg

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 08:00:57 PM »

I'm in for the 300 headbang

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 01:02:33 PM
taprider

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 01:02:33 PM »

is there a car rental agent in Kanab where you pick up in Kanab and drop off at the Las Vegas airport?

is there an equivalent of the Banff YMCA for a pre race meeting and socializing area?

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 09:13:28 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 09:13:28 AM »

Can't help you on the Kanab car rental info.

As for pre race meeting, closest thing is the start line of the 300 & 750 the night before. Seems like it's becoming more popular for riders/friends/family to camp out beforehand. Last year at the 300 start there were at least 30 people.

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 01:19:05 PM
plesurnpain

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 01:19:05 PM »

I'm planning to be there for the 300. Can't wait to get out there.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 07:07:27 AM
Guild44

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 07:07:27 AM »

I'm planning on doing the 300.  thumbsup Is there an informal signup somewhere, or do we just show up?

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 08:29:50 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 08:29:50 AM »

I'm planning on doing the 300.  thumbsup Is there an informal signup somewhere, or do we just show up?

There will be a signup form via Trackleaders for those carrying SPOTs, but that doesn't go live until near the start date. Or you could simply just show up, but it sure is fun tracking everyone's progress!!

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 08:02:25 AM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 08:02:25 AM »

It's only 6 months away!

I'm looking forward to a report after this weekend from John Schilling about conditions of the Highline Trail. There's also a new person at the Tonto N.F. over in the Payson area that is making a push for improvements/reroutes of the Highline Trail as well as other new trails constructed in the area to make loop options. It might be a ways off, but it sounds like the Highline Trail could become fun at some point!

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 08:13:12 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 08:13:12 AM »

I am in for the 750. Triple crown threepeat if I can figure out some logistics and maybe a few new sponsors. I am training in Moab now so I will be ready to roll on 4/15.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 11:25:43 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 11:25:43 AM »

It's only 6 months away!

I'm looking forward to a report after this weekend from John Schilling about conditions of the Highline Trail. There's also a new person at the Tonto N.F. over in the Payson area that is making a push for improvements/reroutes of the Highline Trail as well as other new trails constructed in the area to make loop options. It might be a ways off, but it sounds like the Highline Trail could become fun at some point!

Will do!!! But I'll only be on the AZT portion of the Highline for a short bit. However, that bit has been recently rerouted. I'll be peeling off the Highline onto the Donahue trail where I expect a heavy dose of HAB up to the rim. Shortest distance is a straight line from A to B, right? I've heard that the Donahue trail is on the docket for trail improvements. This would be one of the loop options up there when finished. I've also heard the Pine Canyon Trail will be getting some love in the coming months to improve a 1.7 mile section. Things are happening in the Pine area - Highline included!!

VOAZ has the lofty goal of refurbishing the Highline over its full length. More info here.

The eastern end of the Highline is fantastic now, almost the entire length from the Two Sixty trailhead to the Fish Hatchery, some 20 miles or so. There's one section in between the Derrick & Horton Springs trails that is a grunt & some HAB, but overall not too terrible.

When we hiked the AZT portion of the Highline last year I didn't think it would be too bad. It definitely didn't have the legendary overgrowth.

Hey Mark,
Great to hear it, see you down on the border in April.

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 02:16:02 PM
Sam Aspacher

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 02:16:02 PM »

Aspiring 750 rider here with a spot service plan question. Looks like $99.99 includes sos, check in and help messages only. $149.99 is that plus basic tracking. Just purchased a gen 3 and I'm wondering which plan I'd need to get onto the trackleader page.
Also curious what tracking intervals everyone uses and how that affects battery life. thanks -Sam

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 06:55:53 PM
SlowRide

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 06:55:53 PM »

it sounds like the Highline Trail could become fun at some point!

I had a blast on it this year... even pulled some tricks off the new berms!

I am in for the 750. Triple crown threepeat if I can figure out some logistics and maybe a few new sponsors. I am training in Moab now so I will be ready to roll on 4/15.

Now why doesn't this surprise me? Smiley Get some Mark!

Going that one more round, when you don't think you can. That's what makes all the difference in your life.
--Rocky Balboa

http://twelvemilesperhour.blogspot.com

TDR 2014, AZTR750 2015, CTR 2015

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 04:50:16 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 04:50:16 PM »

does rain turn any portion into gumbo mud?

My first-hand experience with nature's own peanut butter, 2014 running of the 750, captured in this pic.  Locale: Russell Tank section.  Drying out in the sunrise after slogging it out in the wee hours of the night.

* AZTR 2014 - IMG_1405.jpg (42.97 KB, 640x480 - viewed 2194 times.)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 04:54:58 PM by mikepro » Logged

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 08:55:34 AM
NATURAID

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 08:55:34 AM »

Hello to all you. I am Maurizio Doro from Italy www.mauriziodoro.it
Excuse I do not speak well English. My idea is to participate to 750.
I ask some question.
I arrive with flight to Phoenix: as I possible to arrive to the starting line?
It is possible to buy to food and water to the starting line?
Tank you. Ciao
  Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: