Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #140 on: February 26, 2016, 06:18:51 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 26, 2016, 06:18:51 PM »

Hey Sarah

I would say have a GPS on your handle bars and a cue sheet of distance to next food and water. Keep a close eye on your GPS track!

Those who take less tend to do better.

Carry something to boot a sidewall slice, an extra tire is over kill, too heavy and the next bike shop never that far. Ride the Canelo's conservatively there's some tire slashers in there as well as the limestone south of Colossal Cave.  

Some may carry winter shoe covers and go over the Lemmon in a snow storm, others will wait it out at the bottom. I don't think people skimp on gear just remember the go light moto.

I am still using the carbon bars I carried thru the canyon on my 06 800 mile AZT tour, the 07 and 10 AZT 300 plus. Easton Monkey Lites delaminating but still going I think you can quit worrying, obvious damage in a crash may kill them but that would be rare and should be avoided anyway.

No idea what dress tights are.

Pearl Izumi X alp Enduro are pretty popular.

Hopefully you'll get some other responses.

Tim

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #141 on: February 27, 2016, 07:20:26 AM
NATURAID

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 27, 2016, 07:20:26 AM »

Actually Ron Thomson and Bill Swami rode the trail in ... 2014 I believe.  Also on my first ITT of the "AZT" (Andrea's route) in 2005, I rode in the Fall and took the trail.

But, yes, de facto the road is always allowed.  Mega style points for taking the trail.  Most years snow makes it all but impossible.

If there are any other allowed snow detours, that will be announced in advance.  Thanks for the question.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #142 on: February 27, 2016, 07:26:29 AM
NATURAID

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 27, 2016, 07:26:29 AM »

Hello Scott. Excuse me but I do not read well English. I ask: it is possible to rid the road even if on the path not there is snow? decide I which covered to make? thanks ciao

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #143 on: February 27, 2016, 07:40:22 AM
NATURAID

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 27, 2016, 07:40:22 AM »

Just wanted to bring the following thread to the attention of 750ers and AZT fanatics in general:

http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/bikepacking/possible-changes-to-bike-access-in-grand-canyon-backcountry-plan-comments-need/

The extended day hike permit system is in some ways badly needed in the park (for safety), but it limits things, especially for 750 racers -- everyone hiking across the canyon will have to make a visit to the permit office, even if you aren't camping.  It's unclear what will happen if all the permits are gone and you are on a thru-trip.  The new plan does call for special consideration for AZT thru-hikers for camping, so perhaps that consideration would be included in extended day hike permits as well.  I will likely include a plea for that special consideration in my comments (I don't think they are going to be dissuaded of the idea of permits in general).

Anyway, give it a read and drop a comment if you've got the time.

Service note: the Desert Spoon cafe that is marked by a fork/knife symbol in Colossal Cave is permanently closed.  I've suggested they remove the sign.  It's been a favorite spot to grab an ice cream sandwich and maybe a burrito on tours or day rides in the past.  It's not too much of an issue for people racing as a lot of folks roll through during the dark, anyway.  But just in case anyone had their hearts set on it.

It's replaced by a new cafe that is quite tasty, but it's all the way up at the cave entrance, which is a hefty climb off route.  The pizza is good if you do make the climb.

hello Scott, I ask: it is now always obligatory to go in office for permit Gran Canyon, and if office is closed perhaps in the night? Thank you

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #144 on: February 27, 2016, 04:31:13 PM
Beardog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: February 27, 2016, 04:31:13 PM »

If my two cents is worth anything on last two posts - Ardent Exo or Lust tire 120 TPI Tubeless with 2 plus scoop is the way to go with a leather needle and thread (I have sewn a sidewall or two plus duct tape and road all the way to Flag that way last time).
On the hiking permit I thought none was needed if you did it in one shot carrying your bike- we have never gotten one while running the double cross and I did not get one last time I did the 750 - just kept walking and took a short nap at one point (not camping). Is this still a viable or will they bust you or something?

Scott or anyone else out there doing either race, is there any organized more or less ride shares to the border at this point?  from Tucson to the 300 start the night prior or to the fence (soon to be a very big wall paid for by Mexico if the DONALD has his way)? If anyone is doing something please contact me off/on site and I am more than willing to pay gas, etc.

Thanks
Beardog

Beardog

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #145 on: February 27, 2016, 04:41:25 PM
Beardog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2016, 04:41:25 PM »

OK Now that I see the comment period is until 4/4 - any rules the govt enacts should not impact us because those folks are notoriously slow at actually passing and implementing rules. So - Scott - does this then mean we don't need no stinking permit and we can ride the north rim trail assuming it is snow free when we hit (looked pretty clear already last week when I flew over it)

Beardog

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #146 on: February 27, 2016, 05:20:02 PM
Beardog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: February 27, 2016, 05:20:02 PM »

Last time I rode the 750 we shuttled my truck from CO front range to finish then shared car to border. For the folk that have already written about ideas for both directions in/out I am down for meeting whoever is riding the north to south route a few days before race say in Kanab - dropping my truck at finish (or you can use it for a day or two if you need it) then driving myself and whoever else wants to come to the start at the Mex border leaving your car (and key?) either there or at Parker TH. Contact me whoever wants to try something along those lines.

beardog
David Goldberg
(928) 606-1618 (cell)
beardog1960@msn.com

And yes Scott I am taking another run at the Triple (actually with CA - the first ever I think "QUAD")

Beardog

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #147 on: February 28, 2016, 01:54:18 PM
ginnytory

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 28, 2016, 01:54:18 PM »

Anyone else from the Denver area what to do a shuttle between the start/finish?

Ginny Tory
ginnytory@gmail.com

Ginny Tory

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #148 on: February 28, 2016, 06:23:26 PM
dwengs

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 28, 2016, 06:23:26 PM »

Hey Everyone, just wondering if anyone knows where to get cue sheets with water and food stops for the 750.  Thanks.   

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #149 on: February 28, 2016, 06:47:10 PM
Beardog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: February 28, 2016, 06:47:10 PM »

AZT website sells cue sheets and the water stops were posted in 2012 but updated on this thread a few pages back - the main ones are pretty reliable water - the tank outside Tuzyan is NOT - it is green sludge and I filtered it twice in my bandana - put in 4 iodine tabs and drank it after underestimating how much water you really need on the windy ride from Flag to Tuzyan.

Beardog

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #150 on: February 29, 2016, 07:29:35 AM
xcracer

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 29, 2016, 07:29:35 AM »

I rode the canelos yesterday, they still suck.....lol

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #151 on: February 29, 2016, 07:41:24 AM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 29, 2016, 07:41:24 AM »

Which reminds me to renew my ATA membership, at least at the $35 Agave [I'm cheap] level.
ATA at:
http://www.aztrail.org/

AZT website sells cue sheets ...

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #152 on: February 29, 2016, 09:26:25 AM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 29, 2016, 09:26:25 AM »

What have others used in the past for the ditch hike? Sounds like something with a framed back is nice to give you a bit more structure. I have a Osprey Talon, but its an old one without a framed back. I'm not apposed to rocking a backpack for the entire race, but I really hate weight on my back. What packs have others used?
Osprey Talon22 - with an added internal frame, McGyver-style-on-the-fly just before Tusayan, and it still 'buckled' under the ~40lbs of weight during the carry.  You will probably travel lighter, though Wink.  I still have the pack, and will probably take it again, but will use a different carry system (like those 'strapettes').

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #153 on: February 29, 2016, 10:53:30 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: February 29, 2016, 10:53:30 AM »

hello Scott, I ask: it is now always obligatory to go in office for permit Gran Canyon, and if office is closed perhaps in the night? Thank you

Hey Maurizo,

No, you do not need a permit just to hike across, for this year, 2016.  You do need a permit if you plan to camp ANYWHERE in the canyon.  Many racers get a camping permit for Cottonwood campground, just in case.

As to your other question: yes, you can decide which route to take on the North Rim.  It is OK as far as the race is concerned, to take the paved road all the way to Jacob Lake.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #154 on: February 29, 2016, 10:55:00 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: February 29, 2016, 10:55:00 AM »

OK Now that I see the comment period is until 4/4 - any rules the govt enacts should not impact us because those folks are notoriously slow at actually passing and implementing rules. So - Scott - does this then mean we don't need no stinking permit and we can ride the north rim trail assuming it is snow free when we hit (looked pretty clear already last week when I flew over it)

No permit this year, unless camping.

Trail is de facto open now, not signed as closed to bikes.  Currently it is under snow, but unless we get a cold/wet March, it'll be bone dry by late April.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #155 on: February 29, 2016, 10:55:41 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: February 29, 2016, 10:55:41 AM »

Which reminds me to renew my ATA membership, at least at the $35 Agave [I'm cheap] level.
ATA at:
http://www.aztrail.org/

Thanks Yogi.  Good reminder to EVERYONE showing up for the 300 or 750 -- please join the ATA in lieu of an entry fee.

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #156 on: February 29, 2016, 12:43:16 PM
IanMac

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 29, 2016, 12:43:16 PM »

just joined the ATA - wow, what a great resource! I'm in for the 750.

Any Tucson locals ...
I'm flying in to Tucson without my bike, it's been in storage for a long time and will be sent by courier from the UK.
I'm looking for a bike shop in town that might be able to receive the bike and help out with parts and servicing?
Anyone recommend a good shop?

Looking forward to visiting AZ - Ian

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #157 on: February 29, 2016, 12:56:14 PM
Gimmearaise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: February 29, 2016, 12:56:14 PM »

Osprey Talon22 - with an added internal frame, McGyver-style-on-the-fly just before Tusayan, and it still 'buckled' under the ~40lbs of weight during the carry.  You will probably travel lighter, though Wink.  I still have the pack, and will probably take it again, but will use a different carry system (like those 'strapettes').
Yeah, really like the strapettes too, I may have to just purchase them and play around.

-Going to Join the ATA today, It's the least I can do.

-I guess I should also start planning travel logistics. Ideally I would love to transfer my car up to the Utah/Zona State line, but that may not be realistic. If you are from Denver/Colorado Area, shoot me an email if you are interested in figuring something out... Neil.Beltchenko@gmail.com

WWW.BikepackingSummit.com

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #158 on: February 29, 2016, 07:33:32 PM
HomeGrownMTB

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 29, 2016, 07:33:32 PM »

Hello AZTR participants,
Allow us to introduce ourselves. We are Tucson's newest mountain bike shuttle company and we are excited to make our services available to you for this race as well as any other social rides you may need transportation for. Feel free to reach out via phone at 520-237-0129 or you can reach out to us on our facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/homegrownmtbtours/. Our website is under construction and will be up soon. Look forward to serving the Tucson MTB community. Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 09:10:47 PM by HomeGrownMTB » Logged

Topic Name: 2016 Arizona Trail Race AZTR planning thread Reply #159 on: February 29, 2016, 07:54:13 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: February 29, 2016, 07:54:13 PM »

Mesquite ATA member now. Enjoying my new t-shirt and endless online resources.  thumbsup
  Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: