Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Arizona Trail Race 2014 in progress Reply #240 on: April 24, 2014, 05:03:23 PM
Gimmearaise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: April 24, 2014, 05:03:23 PM »

"Mt. Lemon was bumping and every species of asshole roadie passed me" LOL...damn roadies!

WWW.BikepackingSummit.com

Topic Name: Arizona Trail Race 2014 in progress Reply #241 on: April 24, 2014, 06:19:18 PM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 24, 2014, 06:19:18 PM »

So is it easier to have a car at the border to get home after the race? Well maybe if you are thinking clearly, which I guess I was not.

I finished at 1015pm and although I thought I felt good, I didnt want to make any calls, took some lame pix in the dark, loaded my bike and off I went towards Kanab. I had cookies and soda from Jacob Lake and figured I would go get a motel room.

10 minutes later I was hallucinating rocks in the road "standing up" and moving. Then I almost drove off the edge of the road. I got to the end of the road at the highway and slept till 8 am. I then took 16 hrs to drive the 9 hours home. I had trouble driving.

Driving yourself home should be its own event. Friggin tough!

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: Arizona Trail Race 2014 in progress Reply #242 on: April 25, 2014, 08:52:55 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: April 25, 2014, 08:52:55 AM »

hey all.....got my pictures up:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10101037635072793.1073741836.206527&type=1&l=3cd3501abd

Writeup coming, gotta do some life catchup first.

Still hobbling around 4 days later. Missing the trail already, pain memories are fading, ready to ride again. Congrats to everyone who made it through or even attempted this, and to those still out there, savor it! To everyone here, and especially Scott, the Arizona Trail Association, and others who helped make this happen - THANK YOU for the experience of a lifetime.

Fantastic photos, Aaron!  Thanks for sharing them, and taking the trouble to take them. 

Seems like more and more people race without a camera these days, which I think is a shame.  It's nice to see someone go a step further, carry a big camera (not quite a DSLR, but pretty much, right?) and even go to the trouble to set up shots, go back and ride.

You got some amazing shots.  That first night's sunset in the Santa Ritas, wow.  And the canyon....

Looking forward to the writeup.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Arizona Trail Race 2014 in progress Reply #243 on: April 25, 2014, 08:56:28 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: April 25, 2014, 08:56:28 AM »

Per facebook, Jill made it across the canyon at 6:45 this morning.  She should finish today, unless she needs a nap after hiking all night! 

I think Ron and Jeff should make the canyon before the storm hits.  It looks to be of similar strength to the one that hit Eszter and I a few weeks ago.  Maybe they can time it to get down to the bottom and avoid the blizzard.  Hope they remember about the stock site campground you can get at Phantom Ranch.  It's going to be full on winter (again!) on the North Rim.

I've started putting together 750 results on the website.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Arizona Trail Race 2014 in progress Reply #244 on: April 25, 2014, 08:57:51 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: April 25, 2014, 08:57:51 AM »

Driving yourself home should be its own event. Friggin tough!

Pushing limits on bike = good.

Pushing limits in car = not good. 

Glad you're OK, Mark.  Congrats on your 4th finish!

Topic Name: Arizona Trail Race 2014 in progress Reply #245 on: April 25, 2014, 11:00:23 AM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 25, 2014, 11:00:23 AM »

I took a few photos, as well....and put them up here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1487130281502832.1073741830.100006176231590&type=1&l=2c569153cb

Write-up to follow.  Priorities, however: I've been eating and sleeping quite a bit in the past few days.

Keep it going, Jill, Ron, and Jeff!

Topic Name: Arizona Trail Race 2014 in progress Reply #246 on: April 25, 2014, 02:38:07 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 25, 2014, 02:38:07 PM »

Michael - well done my man!  Your positive vibe out on the trail was infectious and really gave me a boost during our impromptu shared dinnertime at Italian Trap TH (btw, after taking the time I needed to recover at the Rincon market, I made it all the way to Prison Camp that night).  So stoked for you and your 300 finish, and for being so open in describing your "Incredibly therapeutic" moment in the "Gila 100 In Reverse" section.  I can relate, believe me.

Topic Name: Arizona Trail Race 2014 in progress Reply #247 on: April 25, 2014, 08:28:13 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: April 25, 2014, 08:28:13 PM »

AZT14: Jill Hueckman called in from the finish!
http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/azt14/

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Arizona Trail Race 2014 in progress Reply #248 on: April 26, 2014, 06:35:29 AM
Walkurtalk

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 26, 2014, 06:35:29 AM »

Finished last night at 6:36 pm. Raced the rain all the way to Stateline and got lucky to not have gotten wet. I started thinking about how my time this year 14:11:36 compared to my 2012 time. Check out the time posted in ultra records on this site! Uhhhhh, are we in the Twilight Zone?

* Jill AZT 2014 Finish.jpg (53.9 KB, 480x640 - viewed 602 times.)

Topic Name: Arizona Trail Race 2014 in progress Reply #249 on: April 26, 2014, 08:35:07 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: April 26, 2014, 08:35:07 AM »

Twilight zone indeed!  Congrats Jill, on your second finish!

I'll change your record to be 2014, since you hit that section of dirt you missed last year.  Smiley

Topic Name: Arizona Trail Race 2014 in progress Reply #250 on: April 26, 2014, 09:36:07 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 26, 2014, 09:36:07 AM »

Congrats Jill!! After how we both felt night 1 you must be super stoked to have held it all together. I was like near death and you seemed worse off than me!!!!

Very impressive. Tough. Resilient. Brilliant. I could say more.

Welcome to the 2-timers club.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: Arizona Trail Race 2014 in progress Reply #251 on: April 26, 2014, 10:01:20 AM
Walkurtalk

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 26, 2014, 10:01:20 AM »

Ha, now I can be asterisk-free! The REAL reason I chose to race it again icon_biggrin Thank you, Scott for everything you do for this race. Truly one of the most diverse experiences out there. And the hardest thing I have ever done-physically and mentally.

Topic Name: Arizona Trail Race 2014 in progress Reply #252 on: April 26, 2014, 11:56:52 AM
bmattingly

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 26, 2014, 11:56:52 AM »

Here is my write up of the southbound ride
-day 1 lonely at the Utah state line start, one hour up right  away.  Progressively windy on the North Rim Highway.  Made canyon an hour or so before dark.  Hike 6 miles down.
-day 2 woken a bit after 3am by young guys doing rim to rim to rim.  Hiking around 4 or so.  Ascending the South Rim was extremely physical.  Grew tired of questions by every other hiker.  Hot.  Afternoon hit S rim., assembled bike n rode to Tusyan for food.  Rode to Grandview were I slept for night.  Ran into a guy around 8:30 named Scott training for tour divide.  Impressive.
-day 3 excellent S Rim singletrack.  Chewed up miles quickly to hit Babbit Ranch which had 40+mph winds and a heard of gigantic havalina.  Hit aspen trees by late afternoon.  Rocky Ridge and Lower Oldham in the dark.  Flagstaff at 8:30 or 9 to hotel and Dennys.
-Day 4 Flag to Mormon Lake to Blue Ridge.  Feeling like I have home court advantage.  Know these trails well.  Dark as I'm riding great single track into Blue Ridge Resevoir under a full moon with coyotes or wolves howling nearby. Fine moments/surrealistic, Cold.  Likely below freezing.
-Day 5  Excellent riding to the Rim.  Easy hike a bike down rim to a few miles of downhill smooth single track.  Then hell, I mean Highline.  Hours to go through this boulder and shrub choked endless uphill, downhill trail.  1st wreck broke GPS mount.  2nd wreck I fall into a Manzanita bush with my bike on top of me.  Adrenaline surge, anger, frustration.  Feeling like I'm wasting a precious day of life on this miserable trail.  Finally finish around 9pm.  Get food in Pine at bar.  Thinking was loopy, exhausted.  Spend a cold night feeding a fire.
-Day 6 have a nice chat with a guy that lives in some isolated homes.  He has some trail magic for 750 riders.  Spirits improve as day progresses. Hit Payson by 3 and get bike check up and a full meal/supplies.  1 hour 15 minute down time.  Very psyched dropping down rim to warmer sleep.  Cover miles quickly to Roosevelt Lake.  Stay in a sleezy motel that has some strange folks in the bar.
-Day 7 starts with sunup ride following Roosevelt Lake.  Very peaceful/tranquil.  Get to the big drawbridge in good time and head onto and past Canyon Lake and the other lake.  Lots of road traffic.  Inspired by rock climbing potential S or Reavis Ranch in the Superstitions.  Lots of first ascent potential.  Happy and efficient riding on the west side of the Sups heading to refuel.  Had the best milkshake of my life at Jack in Box.  2 hour break to let temps cool down.  Stock up supplies.  Scott shows up to say hello.  tell him all is well.  Head out toward Picketpost.  Sleep around 9:30.
-Day 8 Ascent up to Gila Canyons.  Have a great time riding the isolated, majestic trails thinking about the riders that past through just a few days before.  See a Gila Monster in trail.  Good time down to Gila River.  Next 9 miles were long and torturous.  never ending uphill it seemed getting to Kelvin.  Very windy in Kelvin and I feel Anxiety about Ripsey.  Charge on up to Ripsey.  My  body feels like it is consuming itself.  I cannot get enough food in me.  I'm feeling desperate in the afternoon and very isolated.  And then I run into a women hiking the Grand Enchantment trail taking a break on a Ripsey Ridge.  We talk for about 5 minutes.  She has better shelter than I.  I move and then run into 2 more though hikers.  I finally drop down Ripsey and head to the boulders.  Bivy at the turnoff of the Powerlines because exhaustion.  Sleep deep.
-Day 9 cool temps, clouds and moisture.  Fun riding to Freeman cache. Find a pack of instant coffee in the bowels of my pack and drink coffee.  I was dancing in the  desert for that caffeine.  Super fun riding up  to and past Antellope Peak.  My the trail and routefinding are getting much better.  Make Tiger Mine Rd around 2pm.  See a 3 1/2 foot rattlesnake on the road chillin.  Oracle for food and rest.  Its Saturday so I can't get my  package at the  post office and the good Mexican Rest. is closed.  Other options used.  Circle K for supplies.  Sleep real well.
-Day 10 Ascend Oracle Ridge, Hit Mtn Lemmon Highway, head down fast.  Get off on dirt, singletrack, and rocky dirt  roads.  Drop into Tucson at dark.  Head out to the store.  Make it there at 10:30.  Had to really push it for the last 8 miles.
-Day 11 Wake up to drink and eat.  Ride the warm windy singletrack to Colossal Cave where I meet 3 Germans.  Nice guys.  One is Wolfgang.  Refresh for a bit and then hit it hard to Kentucky Camp.  Hot riding.  The trail is in good shape.  I have concern for water.  Arrive to Kentucky Camp with a few sips of water left.  Drink like a camel when I arrive
-Day 12 Fairly mellow riding into Senoita and then Patagonia.  Call to arrange ride logistics for border extraction.  Ride not available until Wed so I take a long break in Patagonia.  Decide to break up the Cannelos.  Pass E Cannelos an hour before dark, charge on up the mountain and ride down to the flats and bivy at the first fire ring.  After eating in the dark my camp is invaded by grunting Javalina.  Believe there are about 3 or 4.  Kind of aggressive.  Use some alpha maneuvers and prepare for battle.  Wild bores leave, cortisol up. 
-Past day 12.  Heading to the border.  Lee is picking me up.  I'm slower than I calculated but confident of  a finish.  I feel excitement over having success  on this  adventure.  Pass some border patrol workers and rip down the last 3 miles or so, running into  Lee.
-Lee  arranges a ride back to Flagstaff from Tucson.  I am amazed how quickly we move in a car.  I'm back at work 21 hours after completion for a full shift.  Clients say I'm a wreck.  I feel like one.  My knee is trashed and I'm thoroughly exhausted but  happy and content over perseverance and success.

**A wise man once told me to "Make it  Happen"  I found those words  very inspirational.  My life had a lot of turmoil going on before I left but I decided I'm not getting any  younger as time moves on.  Getting out of the box in life, putting it out there, and challenging yourself mentally and physically are worthwhile.  As I've told a few friends, how can you not do the ride that goes right threw the town where you live?  I have great admiration and respect for the fine work Dale did creating the AZT.   thumbsup 

Brad Mattingly

Topic Name: Arizona Trail Race 2014 in progress Reply #253 on: April 26, 2014, 04:09:51 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: April 26, 2014, 04:09:51 PM »

Congrats Brad and Jill!

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Arizona Trail Race 2014 in progress Reply #254 on: April 27, 2014, 04:03:08 PM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 27, 2014, 04:03:08 PM »

Everyone who competed in the AZT300 and 750 received an email from the head of the ATA, Matt Nelson.

I just have to say that the ATA is at the head of the class for MTB advocacy. What they are doing for us is groundbreaking and unprecedented.

IMBA should be watching and taking notes. Hell they should hire Matt as a consultant. IMBA never thanked me for anything. Pete Webber once scoffed at me for dogging him on a dirt jumper in Boulder one day. Thats about as close to thanks as I ever got from them. Wouldnt even help me with a freeride park right in their backyard in 2002-3.

Thanks ATA. I will be reupping next year with you guys even if I dont do AZT again. I met the trail steward for Gila to Picketpost at Picketpost. She gave me her card and said to call her if I needed anything up north, as she would get me to a steward or volunteer in those areas. I told her I was self-sufficient but she insisted. A very nice young woman who was going out thru-hiking towards the Superstition Wilderness. The ATA people do care and it shows in how they treat mountain bikers.

More good news. I talked to the trail steward of Colorado Trails Kokomo Pass to Tennessee Pass section last year in the CTR at the Tennessee Pass Jamboree (Dave Kirk the oldest CTR finisher was there digging dirt I stopped to say Hi). He offered me a spot to camp for the night in the rain, fed me and told me the CTF loves mountain bikers. He proceeded to tell me the CTF head guy camped next to 3 CTR racers in 2010 at Tank Seven Creek and was all for us. I told the guy that it was me who camped right next the director. I told him I camped way too close to the guy, made tons of noise and and was surprised he was so happy with us!! So we should all join the CTF too they are advocating for us on the CDT now at least the shared CT/CDT corridor!! I tried to offer them a cash donation that night but they refused me!! Good people.

Now if we could just get those old, crusty, bearded CDT hiker dudes like Jim Wolf to lighten up a bit and share the trail. Smiley

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: Arizona Trail Race 2014 in progress Reply #255 on: April 27, 2014, 07:14:09 PM
duck

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 27, 2014, 07:14:09 PM »

Hey Scott,
Just wanted to say thanks for running this thing! It was a total blast. Not often that I can get that much quality time with the desert! Hopefully Ron and Jeff make it through without frostbite ha ha more power to them.

Topic Name: Arizona Trail Race 2014 in progress Reply #256 on: April 29, 2014, 08:04:58 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: April 29, 2014, 08:04:58 AM »

Brad, thanks for the report and congrats again.  You made it happen, that is for certain.  Way to stick with it even after the ill-fated fall ITT.  Stoked to have you as the first backwards 750 finisher.

Duck - you must have done a different race if it was a total blast.  Wink

Mark - yes, the ATA is really ahead of the game when it comes to embracing and working with the MTB community.  Matt Nelson is a MTBer from Tucson, and a great guy to boot. 
Both the ATA and CTF realize that long distance trails need more people loving and using them, not less.

I smiled when I read on CDT hikers blogs that it seems the Jim Wolf guides and his route are completely outdated and not used by anyone.  When you read his website it sounds like he is more concerned about keeping bikes off the trail than getting hikers on it, or completing the thing!  So it's not too surprising.

Our Red Lantern team made it to the North Rim last night!  Will they push in for a finish today?  Good work guys.

Topic Name: Arizona Trail Race 2014 in progress Reply #257 on: April 29, 2014, 11:33:26 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: April 29, 2014, 11:33:26 AM »

Where's Ron off to? Gonna go hit the Rainbow Rim trail for kicks? Hopefully he figures it out soon!!

Edit: Perhaps just a bad point, but it looks like they are giving the trail a go!! Right on!!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:45:09 AM by freeskier46 » Logged

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: Arizona Trail Race 2014 in progress Reply #258 on: April 29, 2014, 11:45:00 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: April 29, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »

He's taking the AZT, the actual trail.  BRAVO!

I just got a few pics of Ron and Jeff in my inbox, from a canyon hiker.

Topic Name: Arizona Trail Race 2014 in progress Reply #259 on: April 29, 2014, 11:51:46 AM
markphx

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 29, 2014, 11:51:46 AM »

He's taking the AZT, the actual trail.  BRAVO!

Awesome to see the Kaibab Plateau singletrack being ridden. Pretty sure this is a first in the history of the AZTR 750 2010 and beyond route. Does this mean that Jeff and Ron will set the new record for the current AZTR 750 course?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:59:52 AM by markphx » Logged
  Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: