Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: aerobars Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 01:32:28 PM
Jeff Tomassetti

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 01:32:28 PM »

Ditto on trebor’s and wookieone’s coments.

I used a set up like wookienone describes—worked well for me—but the main thing is experiment till it works for-you

I spent massive amounts of time on them—I question if I would have been able to ride as strong over the last 5 or so days without them

Get’em on NOW and get them dialed in—this is a big issue as if you do not work out the fit issues they can cause a TDR ending stress injury

"Get’em on NOW and get them dialed in"
Fit is as important as fitness. I am riding my fully loaded TD bike almost everyday now, even for short rides. I am paying close attention to how it all feels and making small adjustments.

Jeff Tomassetti

Topic Name: aerobars Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 07:48:08 PM
tlideen

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 07:48:08 PM »

do you think aero bars are a most for the race? you guys know anyone who has done it without them? if so what do they say about it? thanks for all the help everyone!

Topic Name: aerobars Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 09:06:24 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 09:06:24 PM »

do you think aero bars are a most for the race? you guys know anyone who has done it without them? if so what do they say about it? thanks for all the help everyone!
Historically I think most have Not used aerobars—mtn bike and all that stuff.

I know of one racer who had them and said she did not need/use them.  I know of one racer who did not have them and was longing for some by the last week--mostly to get some weight shifted off the ol saddle area

Personally I used them for hours each day-not for hours at a time but I was always dropping onto and back off them, both for a position change and for the aero effect. 

As time went on I think I was spending 50% or more of my ride time on them—if the terrain allowed (and many times when it really didn’t) I was on them

If you leaning against using some that’s fine, but I would advise everyone to at least test ride some for 2 weeks or so before making a final call

Topic Name: aerobars Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 04:38:22 AM
elobeck

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 04:38:22 AM »

FWIW, I rode without my first year and with my 2nd. I would not go without. I spent many hours on end drilling into a headwind last year and was glad I had an opportunity to reduce my profile somewhat(Although a loaded TD bike is about as aerodynamic as a broken brick:),and the alternate position was nice as well.

Topic Name: aerobars Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 07:43:05 AM
Snowbd2u

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 07:43:05 AM »

Re vamping this thread..... But have my fred bar coming and wanted to know how much space people were installing these above there stem? Ay issues with clearance? I guess I'll see when it gets here but wanted to be ahead of the curve. June 13 is approaching fast! Haha

http://vabikepacker.blogspot.com/

You only have one life to live, what are you going to do with it

Josh

Topic Name: aerobars Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 07:55:29 AM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 07:55:29 AM »

spend some time messing around with it, very personal preference type thing, only you will know what feels right to you...
Jefe

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: aerobars Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 08:15:24 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 08:15:24 PM »

ditto on Jefe's comment--very personal

that said if you have never used aero bars be aware you may need adjust both your seat, aero bars and even cleats in relationship to each other. 

And for me it was CRITICAL that I spend training time in the new aero position for my peddle motion to smooth out.  Back in 2010 I hurt my Achilles (for the 1st time eve)r while adapting/learning a workable aero position.

also--not all but many, including myself, who use aero bars on their mtb bikes for the TDR are more interested in the extra body positions they being vs pure aerodynamic benefits

Topic Name: aerobars Reply #27 on: February 26, 2014, 04:58:47 AM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2014, 04:58:47 AM »

listen to Marshall, he speaks much wisdom!!!

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: aerobars Reply #28 on: February 27, 2014, 06:03:01 AM
Snowbd2u

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2014, 06:03:01 AM »

Ya that's what I was guessing. Use to be a tri guy so have used them. And used my old pair of my current set up But was stretched too far. Hopefully I can play with it like you said and get it dialled in. Thanks for the input guys! Started getting pain in my right hand awhile back so decided to go for the AB for the different setups.... Hopefully it works!

http://vabikepacker.blogspot.com/

You only have one life to live, what are you going to do with it

Josh

Topic Name: aerobars Reply #29 on: February 28, 2014, 01:28:47 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2014, 01:28:47 PM »

Another consideration with aerobars; my bike fit guy and I changed to 170MM cranks. The smaller pedaling circle allows for a lower upper body position, without putting undue stress on hip flexion. Being too crunched up long term can cause illiacus muscle spasms and soreness.

There was a study be Cervelo Bike Engineers, testing crank arm length and how it relates power output. They tested 140-220MM cranks on their racers. There was no difference in power output. They did get measurable aero gains with shorter arms.  

Steve
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 01:43:25 PM by Briansong » Logged

Topic Name: aerobars Reply #30 on: March 25, 2014, 10:34:32 PM
PhotoJB

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2014, 10:34:32 PM »

I was totally going to forgo aerobars. Hadn't even considered it. Then I cleaned out my shed today and found a set of Oval triathlon aerobars from an old triathlon bike I rebuilt and sold for my sister.

I tossed them on my Krampus and went for a ride.

Wow. Talk about a great instant feel! Cannot imagine riding TDR without at this point but I'll keep playing with their adjustment...
  Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: