Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2021 TD "alternative start" on: July 26, 2019, 03:28:28 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2019, 03:28:28 PM »

Hey TD'ers. I wanted to wait till after the TD ended for all before posting this. So, another member here (DP) and I are both veterans of "not finishing". Mine was 2014 and DP's was 2015. We are both in Arizona and are training partners. We have both committed to a "redemption ITT" to begin August 20th, 2021.

We have come to the conclusion that this window offers up the best opportunity of favorable weather. We have coined this the "SmartDepart".

I'm posting this as an open invite to all who may feel similarly. We're going regardless but thought offering up an optional start date may be interesting to others.

Yes, It's two years off, but that's what we have decided. I'm just now coming off terrible Proximal Hamstring Tendinopathy and need all of it to prepare properly.

I'm not trying to do anything other than what I state.    

Anyone and everyone is welcome.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 05:54:14 PM by Briansong » Logged

Topic Name: 2021 TD "alternative start" Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 07:21:15 PM
Jilleo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 07:21:15 PM »

I've been mulling over a late-August/early-September ITT for a couple of years now. 2021 is probably also my next best time for a Divide ride, if the itch remains. The main potential drawback I can see to a late summer start is wildfire, fire-related road closures and smoke-filled air. 2018 was a terrible summer in that regard. This summer has been notably better so far, but as trends go, wildfire issues will probably worsen in the coming years.

Every day is an adventure http://arcticglass.blogspot.com

Topic Name: 2021 TD "alternative start" Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 07:07:06 AM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 07:07:06 AM »

I've been mulling over a late-August/early-September ITT for a couple of years now. 2021 is probably also my next best time for a Divide ride, if the itch remains. The main potential drawback I can see to a late summer start is wildfire, fire-related road closures and smoke-filled air. 2018 was a terrible summer in that regard. This summer has been notably better so far, but as trends go, wildfire issues will probably worsen in the coming years.

Agreed, the risk of a late monsoon in Colorado and New Mexico is also a coin toss.

Last year David and I watched the weather during these dates and placed our progress daily, based on what we experienced and what we believe we could do in daily milage. We juxtaposed that to the weather and had a pretty clean run, weather wise.

Our plan is also to just show up and start together. We will obviously separate at some point.

I want no part of the daily snow pushes I experienced in 2014. To me, its worth the risk.

Topic Name: 2021 TD "alternative start" Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 12:38:55 PM
dskunk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 12:38:55 PM »

You are talking of a Banff start? Following the route released for that year's GD?
It's quite an interesting thought

Cheers, Dave Stowe

Topic Name: 2021 TD "alternative start" Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 03:17:39 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 03:17:39 PM »

You are talking of a Banff start? Following the route released for that year's GD?
It's quite an interesting thought

My plan would be to look at it identically to the June 2021 GD route. I'm planning on a real run, going at my best pace.  I just don't wish to risk another 2014, weather wise. Being an Arizonan, the snow, snow pushes and freezing rain for several days literally kicked my ass.

I posted this thinking if enough others felt similarly, it give those folks an option of not just flying up there and starting all alone.  
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 05:23:41 AM by Briansong » Logged
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: