Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2020 CTR Preparation and Planning Thread on: November 09, 2019, 11:24:49 PM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« on: November 09, 2019, 11:24:49 PM »

Hi folks. I thought I would kick off the 2020 planning thread with a couple of rookie questions.
The first - can someone please confirm the direction for 2020? Is it Denver to Durango? Sub question - is this the tougher direction?
The second - roughly what will the start date be? I need to apply for leave from work in the next month but understand the exact date may not have been set yet. Within a week or so will be accurate enough for me as I plan on coming over early to party err.... acclimatise to the CO elevation .

Thanks in advance.
Dave.

Topic Name: 2020 CTR Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 08:42:10 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 08:42:10 AM »

Hi folks. I thought I would kick off the 2020 planning thread with a couple of rookie questions.
The first - can someone please confirm the direction for 2020? Is it Denver to Durango? Sub question - is this the tougher direction?
The second - roughly what will the start date be? I need to apply for leave from work in the next month but understand the exact date may not have been set yet. Within a week or so will be accurate enough for me as I plan on coming over early to party err.... acclimatise to the CO elevation .

Thanks in advance.
Dave.

Unless things have changed.. 
Starting in 2013 the CTR goes in the Eastbound or Durango to Denver direction on odd years (2013, 2015, 2017, 2019) and Westbound or traditional Denver to Durango direction in even years.. Strong guess for 2020 being Denver to Durango.

I've raced (and completed) in both 2015 and 2016 and toured in 2012 (traditional direction). You'll get arguments both ways as to which is more difficult and people have posted very good reasons for both. It's up to each rider. Personally I found the Durango to Denver direction easier because I was able to get more of the high altitude stuff out of the way earlier and as I fatigued over the course of the race the course got *easier* (I put that lightly). IMO the traditional direction is harder. I also come from sea level so there's that.

Typically it's the last Sunday of July but there have been variations on this.

Good luck in your prep!

http://www.climbingdreams.net/ctr/

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: 2020 CTR Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 03:52:52 AM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 03:52:52 AM »

Thanks Adam. I thought that was the direction this year as I have been looking at the climb out of Denver and thinking how nice it would be to descend into it  icon_biggrin
It is what it is I guess, so the training and trail intel begins. I will purchase one of Johnís sweet elevation profiles to stare at (and scare myself into preparing properly) I am a sea level dweller as well but hope to get over a week or two before the race to take in the vibe and acclimatise just a bit. I loved CO as I passed through on the TD so hoping to spend some decent pre race time there.

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: