Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2020 CTR Preparation and Planning Thread on: November 09, 2019, 11:24:49 PM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« on: November 09, 2019, 11:24:49 PM »

Hi folks. I thought I would kick off the 2020 planning thread with a couple of rookie questions.
The first - can someone please confirm the direction for 2020? Is it Denver to Durango? Sub question - is this the tougher direction?
The second - roughly what will the start date be? I need to apply for leave from work in the next month but understand the exact date may not have been set yet. Within a week or so will be accurate enough for me as I plan on coming over early to party err.... acclimatise to the CO elevation .

Thanks in advance.
Dave.

Topic Name: 2020 CTR Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 08:42:10 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 08:42:10 AM »

Hi folks. I thought I would kick off the 2020 planning thread with a couple of rookie questions.
The first - can someone please confirm the direction for 2020? Is it Denver to Durango? Sub question - is this the tougher direction?
The second - roughly what will the start date be? I need to apply for leave from work in the next month but understand the exact date may not have been set yet. Within a week or so will be accurate enough for me as I plan on coming over early to party err.... acclimatise to the CO elevation .

Thanks in advance.
Dave.

Unless things have changed..  
Starting in 2013 the CTR goes in the Eastbound or Durango to Denver direction on odd years (2013, 2015, 2017, 2019) and Westbound or traditional Denver to Durango direction in even years.. Strong guess for 2020 being Denver to Durango.

I've raced (and completed) in both 2015 and 2016 and toured in 2012 (traditional direction). You'll get arguments both ways as to which is more difficult and people have posted very good reasons for both. It's up to each rider. Personally I found the Durango to Denver direction easier because I was able to get more of the high altitude stuff out of the way earlier and as I fatigued over the course of the race the course got *easier* (I put that lightly). IMO the traditional direction is harder. I also come from sea level so there's that.

Typically it's the last Sunday of July but there have been variations on this.

Good luck in your prep!

« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 09:01:57 PM by Adam Alphabet » Logged

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: 2020 CTR Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 03:52:52 AM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 03:52:52 AM »

Thanks Adam. I thought that was the direction this year as I have been looking at the climb out of Denver and thinking how nice it would be to descend into it  icon_biggrin
It is what it is I guess, so the training and trail intel begins. I will purchase one of John’s sweet elevation profiles to stare at (and scare myself into preparing properly) I am a sea level dweller as well but hope to get over a week or two before the race to take in the vibe and acclimatise just a bit. I loved CO as I passed through on the TD so hoping to spend some decent pre race time there.

Topic Name: 2020 CTR Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 04:12:15 PM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 04:12:15 PM »

Been meaning to post something here soon, just been quite busy and it is still 2019!
Anyways, 2020 CTR will start in Denver this year, 6:AM, Sunday, July 26th, 2020. Even years the race goes South/West, odd years, North/East. Aiming for the last Sunday in July as the start date, unless drastic weather forces a change.
More info at jwookieone.com/coloradotrailrace.
Most info is live and correct, more to come.
Stefan G is stepping down as race director and I, Jefe Branham, am taking on that role. Nothing really changing except the web address and who will be answering questions, handing out Spots at the start, keeping track of results, etc. Same rules, same course, same ethos.
I will keep updates going here as well as the CTR Facebook page, and jwookieone.com/ctr, but if nothing changes I will be just answering questions.

Thanks, and get prepping and training.

Jefe

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: 2020 CTR Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 08:59:45 AM
mtnbound

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 08:59:45 AM »

Sad to see Stefan step down after so many years.  My hat is off to him for keeping the amazing CTR going for so long!!!  He has done a great job and all of us owe his big time for all of his work and dedication!!

Jefe - Congrats and thanks for taking over the CTR!!!  Glad to see it is in your very capable hands.  Good luck to you, sir!

I am debating doing the CTR this year.  Basically have stopped riding the past six years as kids, work and life have taken a priority.  So, it would be a huge challenge to get into shape at this late date but I am seriously thinking about it.  I didn't finish in 2012 and I like to finish what I started.  Plus, this coming year is my big 50th - so it would be an awesome way to celebrate on the trail.

Walter
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 09:30:41 AM by mtnbound » Logged

Topic Name: 2020 CTR Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 09:01:29 AM
mtnbound

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 09:01:29 AM »

Jefe - I went to jwookieone.com/coloradotrailrace but it doesn't look like any info is up yet.

Topic Name: 2020 CTR Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 09:21:20 AM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 09:21:20 AM »

MtnBound,

Sorry, that doesn't take you directly to everything, it was the other day!...I'm still learning much about website layout.
This link, https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/ will take you there, it is all right there on jwookieone.com under the Colorado Trail Race Page, it scrolls down and CTR route info, Rules, Etc is all there.
Let me know if you are still having issues. Feel free with questions as well.
Thanks!
Jefe
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 09:26:35 AM by wookieone » Logged

pedaling is my prozac...

Topic Name: 2020 CTR Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 09:30:16 AM
mtnbound

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 09:30:16 AM »

Jefe, Thanks!  I was able to find it on your website.  After reading through this info again, I am getting stoked! 

Topic Name: 2020 CTR Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 09:38:12 AM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 09:38:12 AM »

Great! It is an amazing route and a grand adventure!
Again feel free with questions, happy to help. Ask here, on jwookieone.com, or the CTR Facebook page, I'll do my best to answer!
Happy Planning!

Jefe

pedaling is my prozac...

Topic Name: 2020 CTR Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #9 on: December 14, 2019, 04:24:50 PM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2019, 04:24:50 PM »

I am debating doing the CTR this year.  Basically have stopped riding the past six years as kids, work and life have taken a priority.  So, it would be a huge challenge to get into shape at this late date but I am seriously thinking about it.  I didn't finish in 2012 and I like to finish what I started.  Plus, this coming year is my big 50th - so it would be an awesome way to celebrate on the trail.

Walter

Hey Walter, I say go for it! Plenty of time to train before late July. I am staring down my big five-oh next year and I feel finishing the lifetime triple crown will be a fine way to finish my first 50 years on the planet.
Not that you need inspiration but this might help...... https://youtu.be/VGb2P8XsClc

Hope to see you at Waterton Canyon in July  Wink.
Dave

Topic Name: 2020 CTR Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #10 on: December 17, 2019, 02:30:44 PM
mtnbound

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2019, 02:30:44 PM »

Hey Walter, I say go for it! Plenty of time to train before late July. I am staring down my big five-oh next year and I feel finishing the lifetime triple crown will be a fine way to finish my first 50 years on the planet.
Not that you need inspiration but this might help...... https://youtu.be/VGb2P8XsClc

Hope to see you at Waterton Canyon in July  Wink.
Dave

Hey Dave, Thanks for the support!  I hope to make it there and see you at the start!  I hope you are able to do the lifetime triple crown - that would be an incredible achievement and an awesome adventure!

That is a great video - I love watching videos about the CTR and bikepacking the CT.  When grinding away on a bike/treadmill during the winter months, watching those videos keeps me going. 

Walter

Topic Name: 2020 CTR Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 07:52:04 AM
Shoulderfu

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 07:52:04 AM »

This will be my rookie year. I've had my eyes on this monster for many years, and can finally take a crack at it. I would love to hear any training/conditioning suggestions from any veterans who are willing to share. Looking forward to July 26th, thanks in advance!

Topic Name: 2020 CTR Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 09:12:36 AM
mtnbound

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 09:12:36 AM »

Shoulderfu - Glad to hear you are going to try this beast of a race!  I am not a veteran - raced in 2012 but dropped out halfway.  I don't have any training tips.  Just ride as much as you can, and rotating climbing, HIIT, pushing your bike (a lot!) and long distance rides.  Spend a lot of time getting to know the course, including bail points, water stops, knowing each town that the CTR goes thru (make a list for each town of bike shops, gas stations and a few restaurants, including their hours and location), how much climbing each segment has, read prior CTR posts in this forum and website posts from other racers, etc.  Good luck!!!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: