Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #40 on: June 17, 2019, 12:12:43 PM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2019, 12:12:43 PM »

Expanding on my edit above:

Re: Daylight hours in April vs. Oct.

Looking at daylight times for Phoenix at timeanddate.com:

April 20, 2019 = 13:10 [hr:min] of daylight.
October 20, 2019 = 11:12 [hr:min]... almost two hours less daylight.

Re: Heat in April vs. Oct.

Daytime temps could very similar, depending on the year and luck of the draw with a late spring storm or early winter storm, but nighttime temps would almost certainly be cooler in Oct., due to longer night to allow additional cooling. First time I did the AZT 300 [2014], an above average year [?], Tuscon hit ~100 and it was 92 when I pedaled thru Patagonia.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 12:20:18 PM by Yogi the Barry » Logged

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #41 on: June 17, 2019, 12:31:21 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2019, 12:31:21 PM »

On Facebook most everyone was in favor of the fall date. As always ITTs can run when ever. I would not be surprised if a smaller group agreed to a spring start date. I  also came up with a hosts of reasons to keep the spring date. Until John pointed out that spring is a big hiking time. Keeping the event in good standing with the ATA will be crucial to the future of the event.

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #42 on: June 18, 2019, 05:59:17 AM
geekonabike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2019, 05:59:17 AM »

We can remove a lot of these unknowns with a group of ITTs this Oct. I'm up for a 800. I bet talking it up we could get quite a few 3s & 8s on or about the same time. Thursdays fall on the 3ed & the 10th of Oct this year.

What don't Kill You, only makes You Smell Stronger

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #43 on: June 20, 2019, 04:46:20 PM
rhino

32xYM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2019, 04:46:20 PM »

Curious as to why the late Octoberr date was selected? Why not the first week in October?

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #44 on: June 20, 2019, 04:53:19 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2019, 04:53:19 PM »

Curious as to why the late Octoberr date was selected? Why not the first week in October?
I believe John was hoping to avoid the Canyon while the North rim is open. Fewer people on the trail less chance of push back from other trail users. The whole permit system for rim to rim running came about because traditional users complained after r to r blew up a few years ago.

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #45 on: July 25, 2019, 09:34:12 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2019, 09:34:12 PM »

Hey all,
Checking in after getting wrecked by the Divide.

I'll reiterate a few points & concerns from earlier posts.

Couple of reasons for the change. No particular order here, the AZT has rapidly risen in the ranks of thru hiking trails and spring is by far the busiest time for hikers. The fall switch helps alleviate some stress on trail resources, most notably the cache boxes. A few months ago I asked the hive what they thought and it was a near unanimous vote, about 95% wanted an October start. That was something like 80 responses.

The late October date was chosen because believe it or not the first week in October the average daytime high in Phoenix is still 95º. I used this year's start date of April 18th and looked at the historical data for Phoenix. Avg. temp? 85º. The 4th week in October? 85º. So, I don't buy the argument that April or October is hotter/colder than the other during the day. It's Arizona in the shoulder seasons, it's a total crapshoot. Let's face it, there is no magical perfect weather window for this event. Isn't that what makes it special and more challenging? I love that you have to plan for massive temperature ranges for both the 300 & 800.

Yes, a big negative perhaps is the loss of two hours of daylight in October. As with anything else, plan accordingly.

Tim is spot on re: a southbound group start. That will never be planned. If you want to go southbound, go for it, ITT style. If you're really dead set on riding in the spring, go for it. ITT style. It would be cool to see small groups of ITT'ers lining up in the spring.

For anyone considering an ITT this coming October, that's only 3 months away!! The ATA is hard at work on a few trail projects and making great progress. I'll try and get the most updated track posted to the website in early October. Looks like the Babbitt Ranch singletrack project is moving along nicely (AZTripper can comment more on that) and there should be more singletrack along the Happy Jack Passage soon. It'll be interesting to see how far along the Rosemont re-route gets. (North of Kentucky Camp)

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #46 on: July 26, 2019, 06:19:05 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2019, 06:19:05 AM »

Babbitt ranch trail work is going quick, there's likely over 2 miles completely finished after last weekend. The ATA rented a mini stand up dozer to cut the tread. Clean up is quick and easy. If they get the same machine for the work down south it should also go quick. The land east of 83 is pretty flat, like Babbitt so those sections should be good riding. They plan to have 4 miles of new trail complete by this fall so that will be there for any ITTs this year. Should be about that much more built in 2020.

Perhaps people where quick to jump at the fall, end of riding season for most, start with out really understanding all of the elements. Ran into BMattingly on the Babbitt work day, he mentioned a fall ITT attempt several years ago. Said he got ripped to shreds by vegetation, I know the ATA has weed wackers so maybe there will be some of that work done before hand. Also the ATA rep said they think 400 people hiked last spring and they expect 200 this fall. More people should mean less overgrowth.

As John said ITT when ever you want, and there's no reason people can't tour the 750 version. Scott has trail tracking for individuals any time.

It should be interesting to watch next year, the tougher conditions the more drama for the dot hounds.

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #47 on: July 26, 2019, 08:09:07 AM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2019, 08:09:07 AM »

@John,
Hope you have a good body shop to repair all that wreckage. Is the box checked...?

Hey all,
Checking in after getting wrecked by the Divide.

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #48 on: August 02, 2019, 09:36:00 AM
msprider

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2019, 09:36:00 AM »

Newbie here gathering logistical info on a potential run.

Being a point to point race, what do most people do re transport? Somehow leave a car at the end and transport to the start?

THanks

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #49 on: August 02, 2019, 09:53:17 AM
phatmike

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2019, 09:53:17 AM »

Newbie here gathering logistical info on a potential run.

Being a point to point race, what do most people do re transport? Somehow leave a car at the end and transport to the start?

THanks

What flavor of the race are you doing? The 300 or the 800? I did the 300, and what I did (and many people do) is leave a vehicle at picketpost and find a way to get dropped off at Parker Canyon Lake. You will find people on this forum organizing shuttles as the time gets closer. There are also commercial shuttle options. The 800 will be similar in getting down to the Mexico border for the start but for pickup at stateline I think most plan on either having a loved one get them if they have someone reasonably close, or they hitchhike out which sounds sketchy but is reliable based on the types of people who drive through that area.

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #50 on: August 02, 2019, 03:06:19 PM
taprider

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2019, 03:06:19 PM »

Expanding on my edit above:

Re: Daylight hours in April vs. Oct.

Looking at daylight times for Phoenix at timeanddate.com:

April 20, 2019 = 13:10 [hr:min] of daylight.
October 20, 2019 = 11:12 [hr:min]... almost two hours less daylight.

Re: Heat in April vs. Oct.

Daytime temps could very similar, depending on the year and luck of the draw with a late spring storm or early winter storm, but nighttime temps would almost certainly be cooler in Oct., due to longer night to allow additional cooling. First time I did the AZT 300 [2014], an above average year [?], Tuscon hit ~100 and it was 92 when I pedaled thru Patagonia.

starting October 10 would get almost 30 minutes more daylight for a compromise

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #51 on: September 19, 2019, 01:43:28 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2019, 01:43:28 PM »

There is a scheduled prescribed burn that will affect a portion of the AZT near Blue Ridge Reservoir in early October. Length of closure is not known. Here is a bypass that I mapped out (*FULL DISCLOSURE: I have not verified this route on the ground, although it looks good. I'm hoping to pre-ride it in the coming weeks. As it stands now, use at your own risk!!)

Blue Ridge Bypass v2

This bypass adds about 32 miles to the overall route. I did my best to avoid as much of SR87 as possible, that road sucks to ride on, no shoulder & high speed limit with RVs. No thanks. The good news? It now takes riders through Clint's Well (diner & gas station available)

Of course if the AZT is open when you get to this bypass, take the trail!!

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #52 on: September 19, 2019, 02:05:42 PM
phatmike

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2019, 02:05:42 PM »

There is a scheduled prescribed burn that will affect a portion of the AZT near Blue Ridge Reservoir in early October. Length of closure is not known. Here is a bypass that I mapped out (*FULL DISCLOSURE: I have not verified this route on the ground, although it looks good. I'm hoping to pre-ride it in the coming weeks. As it stands now, use at your own risk!!)

Blue Ridge Bypass v2

This bypass adds about 32 miles to the overall route. I did my best to avoid as much of SR87 as possible, that road sucks to ride on, no shoulder & high speed limit with RVs. No thanks. The good news? It now takes riders through Clint's Well (diner & gas station available)

Of course if the AZT is open when you get to this bypass, take the trail!!

Thanks John for putting this together. For what it's worth (and I haven't verified by calling yet) - I think the Long Valley Cafe at that location is now closed at least according to Yelp. It sounds like the person running it is now at the Happy Jack lodge a couple miles north on Lake Mary Rd. Gas station is still viable, just beware/research if you are wanting diner food.

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #53 on: September 19, 2019, 07:23:10 PM
woodsy

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2019, 07:23:10 PM »

Thanks John for putting this together. For what it's worth (and I haven't verified by calling yet) - I think the Long Valley Cafe at that location is now closed at least according to Yelp. It sounds like the person running it is now at the Happy Jack lodge a couple miles north on Lake Mary Rd. Gas station is still viable, just beware/research if you are wanting diner food.

Happy to report the restaurant is still open, though it is now known as the Tall Pines Cafe. Ownership changed hands around a year ago. It may be nicer than the old restaurant, but haven't been inside to check it out since the rename. Probably pretty tasty either way if you just rode up the Highline to get there....

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #54 on: September 19, 2019, 08:43:22 PM
phatmike

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2019, 08:43:22 PM »

Good news thanks man!

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #55 on: September 27, 2019, 01:56:54 PM
Chasbo

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2019, 01:56:54 PM »

Holy smokes, I think next year is the year for me.

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #56 on: September 29, 2019, 10:54:36 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2019, 10:54:36 PM »

ATTN: 2019 fall ITT'ers, registration is now OPEN!! Please fill out the registration form here.

Tracks have been uploaded, download the latest version here.

In case anyone missed it, the 300 is unchanged from spring. The 800 now includes the Four Peaks route, Colonel Devin trail near Washington Park and new sections of singletrack on Happy Jack & Babbitt Ranch. Both of those projects are ongoing with Happy Jack scheduled to wrap up the end of October and Babbitt Ranch sometime next year in time for the October 2020 Grand Depart. Exciting times!!

We've also had some decent rains here last week with the remnants of not one, but two tropical depressions rolling through the desert. Some areas around Phoenix received upwards of 4" of rain. That's a big deal here, since the average annual rainfall in Phoenix is just over 8". So, there may be a trickle of water in the brand new water collector about 12 miles south of Picketpost. I still wouldn't count on it as a reliable source.

I currently have the route using the logging detour near Flagstaff that was used in the spring, but reports coming in say the AZT may re-open next week north of Buffalo Park. If the AZT opens, by all means take it, but for this fall season both routes are allowed.

Also, not sure what the timetable is for the prescribed burn near Blue Ridge, so please be sure to download the burn bypass route. Again, that route has not been verified on the ground, but sure looks good via satellite!! Smiley

Our first rider will be setting off on Saturday, Oct. 5th for the 800!!

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #57 on: October 03, 2019, 05:09:00 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2019, 05:09:00 PM »

2019 Fall ITT tracker is up!!

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #58 on: October 04, 2019, 10:44:28 AM
geekonabike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2019, 10:44:28 AM »

Sounds like good news on Mt Elden:  https://www.knau.org/post/public-allowed-more-access-recreation-areas-museum-fire

"Among the trails open Friday: the Arizona National Scenic Trail, Schultz Loop Trail, Heart Trail, Little Bear Trail, Little Gnarly, Lower Oldham Trail from Buffalo Park to the ANST Junction, Rocky Ridge Trail from ANST to Schultz Creek Trail, Sunset Trail from the intersection of Schultz Tank to Little Bear Trail."

What don't Kill You, only makes You Smell Stronger

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #59 on: October 12, 2019, 08:18:08 AM
taprider

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2019, 08:18:08 AM »

Jennifer scratched too and Chris heading northwards from Phoenix . 
What is happening out there?
  Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: