Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #100 on: May 23, 2020, 03:24:35 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2020, 03:24:35 PM »

Spent some time today using Topofusion's (40% OFF through the end of May, BTW) new Advanced track tools to remove unnecessary clusters of track points & overlapping bits. So, there are new versions for both the 300 & 800 gpx files. Nothing really changed for the 300 other than a cleaner track. The 800 route now has the addition of Cornucopia Trail north of Sunflower and the better dirt option connecting Saguaro Lake to Four Peaks Rd. Current versions for each file are: AZT300_v2 & AZT800_v8. Also uploaded 10k point files for each. All can be found here:

AZTR GPX Files

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #101 on: July 13, 2020, 11:36:06 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2020, 11:36:06 AM »

Update on the 2020 edition...

As of this post, it's still ON. With that said, things can change. A few items of concern: COVID-19, AZ really needs to get a better handle of things (Not opening a debate on this), Border wall construction is moving forward around the Coronado Nat'l Monument area & I'm not sure how or if this would affect the start of the 800 and forest fires. If you haven't seen, AZ had 3 major fires recently all of which impacted the AZT and the 300/800 routes. The trail needs to be officially opened first, then scouted to see if it's safely passable. I'll look at potential reroutes. The areas in question are: Mt. Lemmon (Oracle Ridge), Four Peaks/Sunflower area (most of this area is dirt road) & North Rim (area north of US89A, Passage 42). Lots going on, so be prepared for unusual trail conditions and the possibility of no Grand Depart.

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #102 on: July 20, 2020, 07:55:21 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2020, 07:55:21 PM »

I posted this over on the AZTR FB group and it should be shared here as well:

Greetings AZTR gang,

Hope everyone is doing well out there. I've been wanting to hold off on making an official announcement re: the 2020 AZTR until Labor Day, but I think it's important to share where we currently stand.

There are a few factors at play here, none of which are taken lightly. The first everyone is well aware of, COVID19. Arizona has been a global hotspot for the past few weeks and finally is starting to see some encouraging data. Let's hope it continues that way.

Now, the trail itself. I think you all are aware that the AZT sustained major damage during June/July due to three massive wildfires. All three areas are currently closed to entry. What does this mean? For starters, Mt. Lemmon is closed from the Redington Rd. crossing up & over the mountain via Oracle Ridge and down to essentially Oracle State Park. There is a blanket forest closure for this area until November 1st. I'm dialing in a re-route for this using Redington Rd to San Manuel and over towards Hijinks Ranch.

The fire on the North Rim is reported to not have caused heavy damage and early word is it wouldn't affect the route. So that's good news there.

However, pay attention 800 prospects, the real dagger is the Four Peaks area. The Bush Fire consumed over 193,000 acres of Sonoran Desert. The part of the route from the Bush Hwy (just north of Saguaro Lake) up to Four Peaks and down to Sunflower is currently closed indefinitely while the area is inspected. The normal bypass would be the Apache Trail (old 750 route), but that too is closed indefinitely to access from last year's flooding due to the Woodbury Fire. There doesn't seem to be a feasible bypass in the area due to large Wilderness areas.

Border wall construction has also begun near the start of the 800. It appears the normal start area is off limits due to construction activity. I'm trying to get verification on how far west the construction zone extends, perhaps an altered start about 2 miles to the west??

As it stands today, the 800 is not happening. No record attempts for either route will be noted for 2020.

For those who were planning on the 800 this year, is there any interest in an Alt800 route? It's not the AZTR, but I have a decent alternate that bypasses the middle couple hundred miles. In short, trails cutting across north Phoenix, Black Canyon Trail, over Mingus Mtn., through Sedona and back to the AZT south of Mormon Lake. If there's interest in that, I'll post up the gpx file.

For those considering the 300, perhaps a Nov. 5th (two weeks later than currently scheduled) start would be a worthy gamble. Assuming the blanket forest closure gets lifted on the 1st, if the AZT through Molino Basin is open, along with the Catalina Hwy & Control Rd. that would be the closest reroute true to the course. At least you'd get the Mt. Lemmon climb in, but still no Oracle Ridge. If that stuff isn't open, then the San Manuel bypass would be your route.

Sorry for the long post, but as you can see a lot has happened. Please consider a donation to the ATA this year, they are going to need all the help they can get to revive the burned sections of trail. Ride on & be well.

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #103 on: July 28, 2020, 06:52:31 AM
KuzmanAZ

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2020, 06:52:31 AM »

Thanks for this update, John. Heartbreaking fire season. Looking forward to seeing what alternate routes you scheme up for this fall.

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #104 on: July 28, 2020, 08:14:59 AM
Jolly

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2020, 08:14:59 AM »

who uses FB these days, lol? I am planning on the AZT300 for the fall so please keep us up to date on re-routes and the actual day to be there for grand depart.  headbang Thanks All!

Jolly
www.backofthepackracing.com

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #105 on: July 28, 2020, 10:19:38 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2020, 10:19:38 PM »

Hey Gang,
I spent a lot of time this past weekend pouring over maps, files, trimming, merging, cropping, adding and cleaning up gpx tracks. I think I have a winner for an Alt800 route, aka the AZ1000. This is NOT the official track, but it's pretty darn close. Feel free to use it for planning purposes. After I get some kind of confirmation about the border area, I'll upload it along with a 10k version to the website. This route will be an ITT format. So, cherrypick a weather window of your choosing and go for it.

You'll notice a couple of areas have a spaghetti bowl routing, that's by design to add more miles. Those areas are at McDowell Regional Park (route goes next to the visitor center which often has a few snacks & cold beverages when open, very limited, but nice), Brown's Ranch (lots of close knit squiggles here, pay attention!! Water/restrooms on route at the main trailhead) and Sedona (It's such a beautiful area it was hard not adding more!! Keep in mind, Sedona riding can be technical, so if you're gonna gawk at the scenery - STOP!! Expect to see a lot of hikers, be nice)
The side bonus of adding more miles was the ability to get the re-route south enough for you to sample a little bit of the new Happy Jack singletrack.

The Grand Canyon portage is still included. Remember: wheels can NOT touch the ground. No rolling. No exceptions. Bike needs to be disassembled. No napping on the trail. If you think you're going to need sleep, get a permit for either Bright Angel or Cottonwood campgrounds from the Backcountry office upon arrival. Be extra courteous to other trail users, it is a privilege to bike portage across the Canyon. Preaching to the choir hopefully, but this can't be stressed enough.

Help spread the word. Thanks.

Enjoy!!

AZ1000
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 08:40:13 AM by schillingsworth » Logged

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #106 on: July 29, 2020, 11:22:03 AM
taprider

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2020, 11:22:03 AM »

WOW, this may even be better than the AZTR800.  Any thought of making the 1000 the non-offical/official route for future races?

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #107 on: July 31, 2020, 02:16:07 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2020, 02:16:07 PM »

WOW, this may even be better than the AZTR800.  Any thought of making the 1000 the non-offical/official route for future races?

It's being considered.

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #108 on: July 31, 2020, 02:17:43 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2020, 02:17:43 PM »

UPDATE: Is it me or are things changing almost daily along the AZT?? Sure seems that way. Anyway, I received some updates from the ground on the North Rim section affected by the Mangum fire in June. Scorched Earth stuff. The Kaibab NF has extended the fire closure until September 18th. However, even if it gets lifted as scheduled, I'll be re-routing off the AZT north of US89A using FS248 north to Winter Rd. This all comes with a huge caveat. There is another fire currently burning near the northern terminus at Stateline CG. The Pine Hollow fire has already consumed a handful of the final miles of AZT through North Larkum Canyon and down the final series of switchbacks. Fire was a lightning strike. Depending on how this one plays out, the northern terminus of the route may be relocated to Jacob Lake. Fire link below:

https://maps.nwcg.gov/sa/#/%3F/%3F/36.9811/-112.0379/13

In other related news, the ATA is discouraging thru hikes/rides at this time. Mostly due to the wildfire damage. I've done my best to bypass all those areas. COVID continues to be a current way of life, Arizona is still recording high numbers, but has begun to trend in the right direction lately.

https://aztrail.org/thinking-of-thru-hiking-or-thru-riding-the-arizona-trail-this-year/?doing_wp_cron=1596229050.4764549732208251953125

There will NOT be a Grand Depart this year for either distance. If you choose to ride the 300 or 1000, it will be as an ITT. Please carry a mask and wear it when entering public establishments. Practice social distancing as applicable.
The 300 route is finalized and will be posted to the website shortly. I'm holding off on posting the 1000 until the Pine Hollow fire situation is sorted out. Again, only use the posted link to the 1000 for planning purposes. It does now appear the traditional start along the Mexican border will be viable. Again, that could change at anytime. Be patient, flexible.

I'll say this, if you have the ability to postpone your ride until 2021, that may be a good decision. Otherwise, happy planning, safe travels and best of luck choosing a start time!!

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #109 on: July 31, 2020, 02:46:57 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2020, 02:46:57 PM »

AZT300 files have been posted: GPX Download

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #110 on: August 19, 2020, 10:57:45 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2020, 10:57:45 PM »

UPDATE: It's still unbelievably hot & dry here in the desert. I mention this because anyone doing an ITT in the coming months will really need to pay attention to water locations. I wouldn't expect any natural sources to be reliable along the entire route. There are a few exceptions, but not many.
Registration for ITT's will open on September 1st. No set time of day. Please keep any groups at 10 or less riders. Carry a mask for entering any public shared space. Check and re-check store hours.
The route file for the AZ1000 is now posted to the website.

https://aztrail.home.blog/route-gpx/

As of this posting the northern terminus of the route will be the Jacob Lake Inn. The AZT north of US89A is closed indefinitely and there is currently no access to and including Stateline Campground. Fear not, the route is still over 1000 miles. One note about the route, don't expect it to always take a direct path through a trail system. I wanted/needed to add miles so there are a few areas of tight squiggles, so pay close attention to the gpx track. Also, there is one short loop when the track does cross over itself. This is after Superior (Picketpost area), the route will climb up FS650 and cross the AZT, stay on FS650 until the next AZT crossing a mile or two up the road, then AZT back down.
In the coming days/weeks, I'll update the cues to reflect the bypasses this year.
I really hope a few past finishers of the AZTR750 give the AZ1000 a crack. I'd love to hear some quality feedback and comparison notes.
A quick shout-out of thanks to Shannon Villegas for helping me dial in the AZ1000 logo. Looks rad AF.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 10:31:59 PM by schillingsworth » Logged

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #111 on: September 01, 2020, 06:32:55 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2020, 06:32:55 AM »

September is here!!! Who's getting ready for an AZT adventure?? Today's the day, registration for 2020 ITTs is now OPEN.

https://form.jotform.com/trackleaders/aztr20

If you are renting a SPOT tracker, register early!! The units will be sent directly to you, no group distribution this year.

Remember to turn it on when riding & leave it on for at least 30 minutes after finishing. If, for some reason you scratch, please let me know. Don't want to keep family & friends following along wondering about your status.

Please continue to practice social distancing, carry a mask for entering public areas. Most places in AZ require them for entry. Keep any start groups less than 10 people.

Track & cues. The 300, v4, should be the final version unless something unforeseen occurs. The 1000 track needs a few minor tweaks, mostly for accuracy in some areas. Found those while pouring over the extensive cues!! Who added all those turns & trails?? I'm hoping to have both finalized in the next week or so.

*Note re: the McDowell Mtns & Brown's Ranch area of the 1000 near Scottsdale. Both places are technically closed from dusk to dawn. This is noted on the cues, so ride through at your own risk. Highly doubt this will be an issue as many locals ride after hours. Just be aware.

Grand Canyon. Please do your part in being a good trail steward for all & specifically continued allowance of bike portaging. Help spread the word to anyone thinking about carrying their bike from rim-2-rim. Remember: wheels must NOT touch the ground below the rim. No rolling. No exceptions. Camping/napping: is only allowed in designated campgrounds with a permit. No exceptions. If you don't think you can make the portage in one go, get a permit at the Backcountry office at the South Rim Village. This can be done as a walk-in.

I'm hoping a few past 750 finishers take on the AZ1000. I'm curious to receive feedback.

Have fun, ride strong & finish!! AZTR season is finally here...sort of. Choose your challenge: AZT300 or AZ1000.

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #112 on: September 01, 2020, 07:33:45 AM
taprider

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2020, 07:33:45 AM »

Good luck everyone attempting
Hopefully we Canadians can join the fun next year

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #113 on: September 18, 2020, 10:35:36 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: September 18, 2020, 10:35:36 PM »

Good news to report, the Mangum Fire closure area on the North Rim has been reduced as expected. The AZ1000 route will be able to finish at Stateline CG!! However, the Arizona Trail remains closed north of US89A, so getting to Stateline from Jacob Lake will be on Forest Roads, but the do closely parallel the AZT for the most part. It's a nice ride. The gpx has been updated and posted on the website, current version is v12 (Hopefully this is FINAL), current version for the 300 remains v4.
I rode the 1000 route through the Goldfield Mtns. today, I like the way it flows and the views are off the hook.
So far, only a handful of sign ups for each. While both routes weren't what we were expecting for 2020, I think they are great and still offer a solid challenge. Even if you don't plan to ride either route, please consider a donation to the ATA, the fires hit the trail hard this year and will take a lot of work to get it restored.
Thanks for all your patience in regards to the seemingly endless track updates.
Sign up for an ITT and I'll even mail you a sticker!! What a deal!! I had some prototype AZ1000 stickers made, won't be the final design since it's not actually the Arizona Trail Race, but whatevs.

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #114 on: September 22, 2020, 07:40:36 AM
kingofthese7enhills

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2020, 07:40:36 AM »

I have checked out the trail closures and they are wide open for business the question is who is going to start the complete 800 north to south about the last week of October.

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #115 on: September 22, 2020, 09:12:00 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2020, 09:12:00 AM »

I have checked out the trail closures and they are wide open for business the question is who is going to start the complete 800 north to south about the last week of October.

The 800 is not open, there are currently 3 long standing closures of the AZT proper along the 800 route. In general, going southbound: Stateline CG to US89A, Sunflower to Four Peaks & Oracle Ridge. If you plan to do a border to border ride, your route will be the AZ1000.

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #116 on: October 11, 2020, 10:44:30 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2020, 10:44:30 PM »

ATTN: AZ1000 riders. After the most recent ATA Newsletter, it has been confirmed that most of the AZT north of US89A near Jacob Lake is OPEN. There remains a 2 mile section of AZT closed, so a minor detour is still in effect. This does mean, yet another, update to the track. The most current file is v13, now available for download. Riders will now be able to roll into Stateline CG via the AZT and that is very good news!! There was also a short, 0.5 mile, reroute of the AZT near Schultz Tank after Flagstaff. That too has been adjusted.
If you plan to ride either the 300 or 1000, sign up!! Dot watchers are anxiously waiting!!
https://form.jotform.com/trackleaders/aztr20
Tracks may be downloaded here:
I appreciate everyone's patience this year with the seemingly nonstop changes.

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #117 on: October 20, 2020, 08:56:00 AM
taprider

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2020, 08:56:00 AM »

What happened to Paul Kudzas?

and what about all the others signed up on Trailforks? aren't they leaving it a bit late for the 1000, since snow is in the forecast already

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #118 on: October 21, 2020, 06:34:07 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2020, 06:34:07 AM »

Paul bailed out at Oracle, he explained why on one of John's FB posts.

As to the later start time, even if it snows some it shouldn't be that deep and might not even last.

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #119 on: October 22, 2020, 06:41:37 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2020, 06:41:37 AM »

Taprider,
Paul was concerned about the heat forecast heading out into the desert void and his legs were pretty worked over. He made a safe call.

Posters, T-Shirts, etc
  Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: