Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2020 AZTR on: May 11, 2019, 12:07:27 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« on: May 11, 2019, 12:07:27 AM »

2020 AZTR. The gears are turning so-to-speak, I think you all know there are major route changes coming. What about the start date? We are seriously considering moving it to the fall. Say what?!? Yep, probably late October, still a bit too toasty in early October. Historical temp averages for late October are similar to mid-April. The huge advantage to this would be the North Rim 'should' be free of snow, meaning the trail will be rideable and eliminate the concern of the Park Service about bikes on a 'Closed' road. Services would still be closed & Jacob Lake Inn would now be slightly off-route. Think about this: The additions of the upper Mt. Lemmon change, Four Peaks & Kaibab Plateau would essentially eliminate roughly 70 miles of pavement, add over 60 miles of singletrack (most of which is actual AZT). Let there be no doubt, the AZT800 will retain its mark as being the toughest singletrack route. Let's discuss...

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 06:25:18 AM
taprider

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 06:25:18 AM »

Yeah! Let's do it

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 10:51:27 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 10:51:27 AM »

Echos of the FB convo. Mark posted this idea there, something I've been thinking about as well. Separate start dates for the 300 and the (now) 800...
How about the 300 in April and the 800 in October? Larger starting groups perhaps bringing more competition. Gives us northerner's a reason to get down to AZ more than once a year! Just a thought.
John's only rest from the AZT will come between May and August  icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 02:26:09 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 02:26:09 PM »

2020 AZTR. The gears are turning so-to-speak, I think you all know there are major route changes coming. What about the start date? We are seriously considering moving it to the fall. Say what?!? Yep, probably late October, still a bit too toasty in early October. Historical temp averages for late October are similar to mid-April. The huge advantage to this would be the North Rim 'should' be free of snow, meaning the trail will be rideable and eliminate the concern of the Park Service about bikes on a 'Closed' road. Services would still be closed & Jacob Lake Inn would now be slightly off-route. Think about this: The additions of the upper Mt. Lemmon change, Four Peaks & Kaibab Plateau would essentially eliminate roughly 70 miles of pavement, add over 60 miles of singletrack (most of which is actual AZT). Let there be no doubt, the AZT800 will retain its mark as being the toughest singletrack route. Let's discuss...

Hi John,

I actually LOVE the thinking. I won't ever do the AZTR but the thinking is my point. I have been a HUGE advocate to either moving the TD grand depart or offering up a second, "smart depart", say third Friday in August.

The weather is normally a huge third man of the TD. I realize you can ITT anytime you want and I will in 2021. But the same would hold true for the AZTR. Jay Petervary also likes the August start date as to the prime weather window up north and the potential that the monsoons have past or diminished down New Mexico.

Kudos to an open mind.

Steve

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 09:35:08 PM
bmattingly

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 09:35:08 PM »

Many years in October are prime for weather on the Rim and around Flagstaff and the Canyon.  Many crisp dry days with nights getting cold but snow is commonly rare.  Another bonus would be the changing colors of the aspen leaves in October.  I like this progressive idea of changing to maximize weather goodness.  Making the 750 longer is a wild idea.  More suffering.  I'm looking forward to the new single track close to blue ridge.

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 11:34:26 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 11:34:26 PM »

Echos of the FB convo. Mark posted this idea there, something I've been thinking about as well. Separate start dates for the 300 and the (now) 800...
How about the 300 in April and the 800 in October? Larger starting groups perhaps bringing more competition. Gives us northerner's a reason to get down to AZ more than once a year! Just a thought.
John's only rest from the AZT will come between May and August  icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

While this sounds great on the forum & FB, not gonna happen. After going through a full run behind the scenes this year, it's become more evident that the 74 rider limit is exactly where it needs to be. I really can't imagine dealing with that twice in a year. It's more stressful than you may think. One of the main reasons for considering a move to the fall is to relieve stress on the trail resources, i.e. cache boxes. Spring is prime through hiker season and it's been doing nothing but increase in popularity. I'm all for ITTs going down, perhaps this will spawn more of that and the ITTers can organize their own Grand Depart or whatever they like. For the AZT800, let's face it, there isn't some magical 'perfect' weather window to run it, there's always pros/cons. I'm hoping a few individuals give it a whirl in October '19. Again, no interest what-so-ever to pull together a second Grand Depart this year. I'm a little surprised at the almost unanimous acceptance to the October date and a ton of people have commented. I really thought it would be closer to 50/50. I really appreciate all the dialogue and idea tweaks. It's been a worthwhile discussion.

I guess I'll need to have an updated track before too long for any ITT hopefuls. I'll also be updating me elevation profile poster. Smiley

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 04:20:39 PM
geekonabike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 04:20:39 PM »

I'm hoping a few individuals give it a whirl in October '19. Again, no interest what-so-ever to pull together a second Grand Depart this year.
I guess I'll need to have an updated track before too long for any ITT hopefuls. I'll also be updating me elevation profile poster. Smiley

So an October ITT would have the current 4 peaks option as mandatory?

What don't Kill You, only makes You Smell Stronger

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 06:09:07 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 06:09:07 AM »

You are correct, sir!! Four Peaks & Kaibab Plateau should be in play.

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 02:01:28 PM
Jeff Z

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 02:01:28 PM »

I'm a little surprised at the almost unanimous acceptance to the October date and a ton of people have commented.

downside for desert dwellers is that October is the beginning of our riding season. Really tough to stay in the kind of shape needed for this during the AZ summer. So, we give up our advantage of riding all winter to be in shape for April.

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 02:05:27 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 02:05:27 PM »

downside for desert dwellers is that October is the beginning of our riding season. Really tough to stay in the kind of shape needed for this during the AZ summer. So, we give up our advantage of riding all winter to be in shape for April.

We both know any desert dweller considering the 300 or 800, is a year-round rider. There is no off-season to speak of.

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 02:41:09 PM
geekonabike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 02:41:09 PM »

Turnabout from the usual Hillbillies vs Flatlander season scheduling. The upside is you got 800 mi to ride yourself into shape Jeff 😉
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 04:38:55 PM by geekonabike » Logged

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 04:27:56 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 04:27:56 PM »

Hah! you AZ guys get no sympathy from all the rest of us busting our a$$es in 34 degree ice rain in January/February to get ready to ride across the desert in April! icon_biggrin

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 10:31:43 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 10:31:43 AM »

Mike somebody at PCL told me you have already ridden from Mexico to somewhere on the Highline. If that's the case you are in position to do something unique.
During one of his early tours Scott met a hiker who had split the trail into two trips. Nobo in the spring Mexico to Pine, sobo in the fall Utah to Pine.
Call it an outside in-in season. Riding the trail in the best season for each half.
When Scott and I first talked about it we both thought it was brilliant.

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 11:43:22 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 11:43:22 AM »

Mike somebody at PCL told me you have already ridden from Mexico to somewhere on the Highline. If that's the case you are in position to do something unique.
During one of his early tours Scott met a hiker who had split the trail into two trips. Nobo in the spring Mexico to Pine, sobo in the fall Utah to Pine.
Call it an outside in-in season. Riding the trail in the best season for each half.
When Scott and I first talked about it we both thought it was brilliant.

The AZT Cherrypicker800!! Finish at THAT Brewery in Pine with an AZT Trail Ale.

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 12:23:20 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 12:23:20 PM »

The AZT Cherrypicker800!! Finish at THAT Brewery in Pine with an AZT Trail Ale.
Finish at That Brewery twice as nice.
Mike the person who I talked to said that you rode home from Highline, that's full on self support. Get dropped off at Utah ride to the same spot and ride home. Self support bad assness.

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 09:55:54 AM
geekonabike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 09:55:54 AM »

Nope got do a full AZTR so as not to feel like a need to do a GDR that I don't have the time or $$$ for. This years crash was just out of KY camp w/ a ride to SV ER so point taken. If I really wanted to skip 4 Peaks I 'could' restart from KY camp, but a 800 this fall or next years group start is more like what I have in mind. After all, anyone with 1/2 a functioning brain would think after crashing out twice is enough of a hint not to test what the third time had instore.

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 11:51:55 AM
Jeff Z

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 11:51:55 AM »

Hah! you AZ guys get no sympathy from all the rest of us busting our a$$es in 34 degree ice rain in January/February to get ready to ride across the desert in April! icon_biggrin
yeah, didn't expect much sympathy there...

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 11:54:12 AM
Jeff Z

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 11:54:12 AM »

After all, anyone with 1/2 a functioning brain

Which describes no one who participates in this event.

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #18 on: May 18, 2019, 08:08:06 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2019, 08:08:06 PM »

In the latest ATA newsletter, the Babbitt Ranch singletrack project has kicked off with an anticipated completion in 2020. Stay tuned...

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2020 AZTR Reply #19 on: May 20, 2019, 04:02:48 PM
bikesordeath

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2019, 04:02:48 PM »

Following. Playing first attempt in 2020. I prefer April so I don’t have to wait so long:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ig @bikesordeath
  Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: