Pages: 1 [2] 3
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2019 CTR Preparation & Plannning Reply #20 on: December 06, 2018, 02:33:17 PM
xlewisx

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2018, 02:33:17 PM »

Looks like Stefan is saying it will be either the last or second last Sunday in July.

Topic Name: 2019 CTR Preparation & Plannning Reply #21 on: December 13, 2018, 07:41:22 AM
timon.fish

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2018, 07:41:22 AM »

I had a really surreal dream last night, which is rare for me.

I had made it to Silverton in great time....but when I looked down at my bike, there was nothing on it.  No bags, no extra clothes, no lights, nothing...only (scantily clothed) me and a bare bike.  Apparently I had been so rushed at the start I had forgot to carry anything with me.  I found some bike/ski shop in silverton and was scrambling around trying to find warm pants to buy, but all they had were bib-length swim pants....like the kind they wear in the olympics to go faster.  I started continuously cursing myself for being so stupid and absent minded, and then the dream ended.  Fun times.

Anyway....

I need a better water filter setup for next year.  I used a sawyer mini, but filling the plastic bag was a total pain in the ass.  It would take forever to get the bag full (even when there was enough water to dunk it in), I'd get my gloves/hands all wet, then would have to screw on the filter, and squeeze the bag into my camelback bladder to get ~12oz worth of water.  Then unscrew everything, refill bag....etc and repeat 5-8 more times to get a full bladder.

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong?  Should I attach the filter in line with my camelback hose, and fill the camelback with stream water and make it filter while I'm drinking?  Or is there another faster/easier solution/product?

Also would like to find a GPS unit to use that will either last ~4 days continuously, or has replaceable batteries with long life.  Did it last year with the guidebook and pulling out my phone with trailforks to double check.  Took one wrong turn that cost me an hour and 8 extra miles and also spent way too much time stopped looking at book/phone making sure I was going the right way.  Is an etrek the best option, or any other recommendations?  I have a wahoo elemnt, I suppose I could wire it up with an external AA battery pack, but no idea what the usage would be.

Topic Name: 2019 CTR Preparation & Plannning Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 07:59:49 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 07:59:49 AM »

Timon,
I had used the Sawyer Squeeze on many bikepacking outings, works great, but like you I found it a bit cumbersome to fill on occasion. My hands would also get fatigued by the time I squeezed water through a few bags!! It's a great filter & I still use it, however, prior to the 2017 CTR I picked up a Katadyn BeFree filter. It's similar to the Sawyer in that you fill a collapsible bag, but the mouth is huge. The throughput from the filter far exceeded the Sawyer as I was able to filter 1 liter in what seemed like mere seconds. Most of the water along the CTR was pretty clean anyway that year. So, now I have two good water filters to choose from.  thumbsup

As far as GPS goes, many opt for the eTrex series since it does have good battery life. Not sure it'll last 4 days of continuous use as I don't use mine regularly, others can chime in with regard to that. I'm still rocking my old school Garmin Edge 705 with cache battery & dynamo setup.

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2019 CTR Preparation & Plannning Reply #23 on: December 13, 2018, 01:22:52 PM
xlewisx

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2018, 01:22:52 PM »

I second the BeFree filter. I use the 1L version, there’s also a 3L and the bags are made for Katadyn by Hydrapak. So you could buy another Hydrapak bag to match the size of your bladder so you only had to fill once.

Etrex is probably the way to go. You’ll get 3-4 days of racing in a set of lithiums. So should be fine to start with a fresh set in the unit and only one set of spares. You can always buy a set of alkilines along the way to top you up if needed. They’ll probably only last 36 hours or so though (and you do need to change battery type in the settings!). Been I while since I’ve used rechargeable NiMH batteries but they get about the same life as Alkaline.

Topic Name: 2019 CTR Preparation & Plannning Reply #24 on: December 13, 2018, 02:54:14 PM
Biggs23

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2018, 02:54:14 PM »

I use Sawyer Filtration Systems.I carry two filtration cartridges,and two filtration bags.One small bag 20oz and the big one 60oz.I attach a filtration cartridge to both and leave them on.I cut the top of the bag off(Not the part filter goes on).Now you have a big opening to get water into the bag instead of the tiny hole you attach filter too.Once you have water in the bag (3/4 full works best) just roll the bag toward the filter and the pressure increases the flow rate.Works great for me.See if I can post a pic./Users/thomasray/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Previews/2018/12/13/20181213-153616/IMG_1833.jpg

* IMG_1833.jpg (120.2 KB, 480x640 - viewed 873 times.)

Topic Name: 2019 CTR Preparation & Plannning Reply #25 on: December 13, 2018, 04:08:09 PM
timon.fish

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2018, 04:08:09 PM »

That's smart, I like it....wish I had thought of that mid-race.  Thanks!  I was thinking too, I don't think doing the filter in line with the camelback would work anyways because I like using tailwind.  I'm sure it'd get all gummed up and not allow calories through.

I'll definitely check out the befree option as well.  Good christmas gift for the girlfriend, and she can test it first.

Also thinking of ditching sleeping bag completely and going with waterproof bivvy, down jacket, insulated pants and rain gear.  Just gotta find some super lightweight insulated pants that aren't filled with goose down.

Topic Name: 2019 CTR Preparation & Plannning Reply #26 on: December 13, 2018, 05:22:00 PM
xlewisx

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2018, 05:22:00 PM »

https://enlightenedequipment.com/torrid-apex-pants-custom/

150gm. Not bad!

I’ve got a mate making me an apex half bag to pair with my puffer jacket. Should be ~180g and probably offer a bit more warmth than pants.

Topic Name: 2019 CTR Preparation & Plannning Reply #27 on: December 13, 2018, 07:01:33 PM
timon.fish

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2018, 07:01:33 PM »

sweet.  ridiculously light plus custom inseam and colors too!  might have to get a puffy jacket too.

i was thinking pants could be nice to be able to get up and ride with until warm or keep moving late at night with if it's really cold and/or wet.

Topic Name: 2019 CTR Preparation & Plannning Reply #28 on: December 19, 2018, 08:33:10 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2018, 08:33:10 AM »

I had a really surreal dream last night, which is rare for me.

I had made it to Silverton in great time....but when I looked down at my bike, there was nothing on it.  No bags, no extra clothes, no lights, nothing...only (scantily clothed) me and a bare bike.  Apparently I had been so rushed at the start I had forgot to carry anything with me.

I have had VERY similar dreams. Was stunned when I read this...

Must get so neurotic about planning and packing before a big ride that our subconscious plays a little trick on us.

And I usually don't remember my dreams, but those ones I can remember waking up enormously relieved to find it was only a dream

Topic Name: 2019 CTR Preparation & Plannning Reply #29 on: December 21, 2018, 04:50:28 PM
@brainmart

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2018, 04:50:28 PM »

Hey,

I need a LOT of preparation and training to do this, so I want to get an early start. Anyway, it's never too early to start talking about these things.

I have a couple of questions that are making me anxious already (well, a lot to be honest, but I'll start with a couple). For background, I started the TDR in 2016 and did 1,250 miles before quitting. I wanted to do this race again next year but for a number of reasons I just switched my sights to the CTR. My first questions:

Is FS a must, or a 29+ HT can work? I did first part of the TDR (Banff-Pinedale) on a Niner Air 9 with a Lauf fork. The bike did really well in the ST even though it was pretty heavy. I recently finished assembling my new bikepacking rig - a Stache Chinese knock-off frame with a Lauf fork and 29+ wheelset - thinking I was going to try the TDR again. Any thoughts on how this bike would do in the CTR?

The one lauf fork I saw in the CTR last year started developing some cracks in the carbon fins around the end of Sargents Mesa. This dude loved lauf forks, and didn't want to speak ill of them. He did finish the CTR and I don't believe it disintegrated. 

Topic Name: 2019 CTR Preparation & Plannning Reply #30 on: December 23, 2018, 11:37:57 AM
xlewisx

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2018, 11:37:57 AM »

i was thinking pants could be nice to be able to get up and ride with until warm or keep moving late at night with if it's really cold and/or wet.

Makes sense. Quite a smart idea!

Topic Name: 2019 CTR Preparation & Plannning Reply #31 on: December 23, 2018, 12:58:56 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2018, 12:58:56 PM »

Puffy pants are the f*ckin sheeet, but I wouldn't suggest riding in them, as they'll inevitably tear (better for camp time). Instead a pair of running tights is nice. If you're still cold, use a pair of waterproof pants while riding. Can get wet out there, anyways.

Topic Name: 2019 CTR Preparation & Plannning Reply #32 on: December 24, 2018, 09:31:07 AM
Biggs23

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2018, 09:31:07 AM »

https://www.dynafit.com/en-us/men/apparel/pants/mezzalama-race-pant-man?number=08-0000071072_0000000007
Great pant for those chilly Colorado mornings.Packs up to the size of a baseball.Dynafit rates the pant a 2/5 for warmth.I'm on my third pair and they are plenty warm when you put them on over your bike shorts/bibs.

Topic Name: 2019 CTR Preparation & Plannning Reply #33 on: December 29, 2018, 08:30:43 PM
Pampa

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2018, 08:30:43 PM »

The one lauf fork I saw in the CTR last year started developing some cracks in the carbon fins around the end of Sargents Mesa. This dude loved lauf forks, and didn't want to speak ill of them. He did finish the CTR and I don't believe it disintegrated. 

Thank you for the info. Interesting. My original Lauf has 3+ years and 3,000+ miles and zero issues. The new one I got is Boost spacing and has the stiffer carbon leafs. I can't imagine how could I brake it. Maybe (hopefully) that one was a bad one. In any case, I did some long rides on ST and I'm leaning towards using my FS (a Niner RKT), if I can figure out the storage setup.

Topic Name: 2019 CTR Preparation & Plannning Reply #34 on: January 01, 2019, 12:02:57 PM
timon.fish

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2019, 12:02:57 PM »

Stefan announced July 28th, 4am start on FB

Topic Name: 2019 CTR Preparation & Plannning Reply #35 on: February 07, 2019, 08:01:42 AM
timon.fish

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2019, 08:01:42 AM »

The problem with racing the CTR is that it makes the rest of your year on Strava look pathetic in comparison...

* Screenshot 2019-02-07 at 8.57.20 AM.png (42.91 KB, 861x324 - viewed 595 times.)

Topic Name: 2019 CTR Preparation & Plannning Reply #36 on: June 12, 2019, 09:52:12 AM
NCBio

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2019, 09:52:12 AM »

Snotel data shows a fair amount sticking around - Anyone have any info or thoughts regarding snowpack melting down on the route? Is it reasonable to expect it will be clear of snow but with generally sloppy conditions (ie muddy/trail damage from avalanches etc...)? Or is this going to be a ski race?

Topic Name: 2019 CTR Preparation & Plannning Reply #37 on: June 12, 2019, 11:40:47 PM
Chiappa

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2019, 11:40:47 PM »

Snotel data shows a fair amount sticking around - Anyone have any info or thoughts regarding snowpack melting down on the route? Is it reasonable to expect it will be clear of snow but with generally sloppy conditions (ie muddy/trail damage from avalanches etc...)? Or is this going to be a ski race?

I’m of the POV the race is going to need to be delayed. They just canceled the Hardrock for snow.

Topic Name: 2019 CTR Preparation & Plannning Reply #38 on: June 13, 2019, 10:59:07 AM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2019, 10:59:07 AM »

Race will NOT be delayed. Any snow remaining by the end of July will be very hikable. Biggest concern is how soon CTF and other volunteers get out there to chainsaw fallen trees! And with all this wetness, perhaps forest fires will be much less of a concern as well!

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
  -- frequently (mis)attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Topic Name: 2019 CTR Preparation & Plannning Reply #39 on: June 13, 2019, 11:11:52 AM
NCBio

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2019, 11:11:52 AM »

Thanks for the info Stefan. The hikeability was ultimately my concern. I have limited experience in your neck of the woods.

Sidebar - No idea why Chiappa has me quoted talking about delaying. I said nothing of delaying the race and would not interject my opinion on such matters when there's an active RD handling everything just fine.
  Pages: 1 [2] 3
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: