Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #240 on: May 06, 2019, 08:36:49 AM
taprider

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 06, 2019, 08:36:49 AM »

Dave are you doing 4 Peaks on the way back?

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #241 on: May 06, 2019, 09:39:34 AM
phatmike

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 06, 2019, 09:39:34 AM »

Dave are you doing 4 Peaks on the way back?

Ooof!!! I was just thinking about that and the nasty HAB it would be from Deer Creek TH up to the Goldridge TH. It's rideable for a bit from deer creek up, but then the pitch gets stupid for a bit before mellowing out before the Goldridge TH proper. Having ridden (read: HAB'd) down that with Schilling, that would be a steep price for admission. But it would be a blast on the way down...

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #242 on: May 06, 2019, 02:02:27 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: May 06, 2019, 02:02:27 PM »

Adam, et al, thanks for the kind words. It was undoubtedly a learning experience!! Thankfully, the vast majority of it was positive!! Ha!! Final results have been posted on the website aside from DW's southbound ITT. There were a couple of (*) noted for both Eric M. & Max M. for missing a few small sections of the route.

Two records went down this year. Liz S. set the bar for fastest woman completing the 750 and Justin D. posted the fastest Singlespeed time...and he did the tougher Four Peaks option.

As we turn our attention to next year, I expect a few substantial changes to both routes based on what I'm hearing from the ATA. The 300 will most likely see a large re-route north of Kentucky Camp as a result of the Rosemont Copper Mine. Not sure on the status of any re-routes near Ripsey, there's currently one that dead ends, so that may get added if it links in next year.  As for the 750, there's a very strong probability that it will be retired. Fear not, only the name will be retired to bikepacking lore. The rollout of the AZT800 is eminent, Four Peaks is looking like a permanent addition. More Happy Jack singletrack is coming, plus 10 new singletrack miles on Babbit Ranch.

There will be some clarification in the Rules regarding a few items. I'll post more about that at a later date. Some of that stems for a need to determine an exact cutoff between an (*) or relegation and becoming an Alternator.

A few of us will be doing a final sweep of the desert trailheads, cache boxes, this weekend. They have been monitored a bit during the AZTR and from what I saw were in fairly good condition. There was some trash (expected) near Kelvin, but it was at least packed together and wedged in a way to not blow around. (Yes, I know this could also have been left by a hiker, but let's assume for two weeks, it's from the AZTR - that's how it's viewed anyway) As far as I know, I haven't heard of any complaints from the locals. Thank you for being responsible riders!!

So, set your calendars for Thursday, April 16th, 2020. And to illustrate how unpredictable our desert weather can sometimes be this time of year, Mr. Wicks may have cooler weather near Phoenix in mid-May than during his trek north a few weeks ago. Go figure.

All 750 finishers qualify for that fancy AZT belt buckle. Simply fill out the completion form.

Post any ride report links here or email them to me and I'll link them on the results page.

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #243 on: May 07, 2019, 02:06:37 AM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: May 07, 2019, 02:06:37 AM »

Adam, et al, thanks for the kind words. It was undoubtedly a learning experience!! Thankfully, the vast majority of it was positive!! Ha!! Final results have been posted on the website aside from DW's southbound ITT. There were a couple of (*) noted for both Eric M. & Max M. for missing a few small sections of the route.

Two records went down this year. Liz S. set the bar for fastest woman completing the 750 and Justin D. posted the fastest Singlespeed time...and he did the tougher Four Peaks option.

As we turn our attention to next year, I expect a few substantial changes to both routes based on what I'm hearing from the ATA. The 300 will most likely see a large re-route north of Kentucky Camp as a result of the Rosemont Copper Mine. Not sure on the status of any re-routes near Ripsey, there's currently one that dead ends, so that may get added if it links in next year.  As for the 750, there's a very strong probability that it will be retired. Fear not, only the name will be retired to bikepacking lore. The rollout of the AZT800 is eminent, Four Peaks is looking like a permanent addition. More Happy Jack singletrack is coming, plus 10 new singletrack miles on Babbit Ranch.

There will be some clarification in the Rules regarding a few items. I'll post more about that at a later date. Some of that stems for a need to determine an exact cutoff between an (*) or relegation and becoming an Alternator.

A few of us will be doing a final sweep of the desert trailheads, cache boxes, this weekend. They have been monitored a bit during the AZTR and from what I saw were in fairly good condition. There was some trash (expected) near Kelvin, but it was at least packed together and wedged in a way to not blow around. (Yes, I know this could also have been left by a hiker, but let's assume for two weeks, it's from the AZTR - that's how it's viewed anyway) As far as I know, I haven't heard of any complaints from the locals. Thank you for being responsible riders!!

So, set your calendars for Thursday, April 16th, 2020. And to illustrate how unpredictable our desert weather can sometimes be this time of year, Mr. Wicks may have cooler weather near Phoenix in mid-May than during his trek north a few weeks ago. Go figure.

All 750 finishers qualify for that fancy AZT belt buckle. Simply fill out the completion form.

Post any ride report links here or email them to me and I'll link them on the results page.

Thanks for all of your hard work, dedication and integrity John. It is much appreciated by the racers AND by us dot watchers as well. It sounds like the AZTR is getting better (and tougher!) with no impact on the trail or locals. Win/win!  thumbsup

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #244 on: May 07, 2019, 08:33:31 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: May 07, 2019, 08:33:31 AM »

Thanks Flyboy. The Four Peaks routing definitely makes it tougher overall, but the continued work on Happy Jack & Highline are making things easier there. Plus, the Canelo Hills have been getting some love. I imagine the re-route north of Kentucky Camp will also make things easier with Las Colinas going away. Either way, more trail, more dirt, less pavement = better AZTR!!

Great to see DW bypassing the snow detour near Flagstaff. Unfortunately, a weather system has moved in. It's currently raining here in Phoenix, which wasn't in the forecast! How do they not see rain coming to the desert?? Anyway, it's heading NE on a direct line towards Anderson Mesa. Ugh. Not sure if he's going to try an gun it, hoping to beat the worst of it or be resigned to a world of death mud hurt.

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #245 on: May 07, 2019, 04:46:13 PM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 07, 2019, 04:46:13 PM »

Looks like Dave has headed back to Flagstaff.  Wonder if he is done - forecast is looking pretty wet up there all week. 

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #246 on: May 07, 2019, 05:11:23 PM
Jalene

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 07, 2019, 05:11:23 PM »

Looks like Dave has headed back to Flagstaff.  Wonder if he is done - forecast is looking pretty wet up there all week. 

From Dave on the FB page...
"Got a new tire in flag, headed to marshal lake and the forks pooped themselves. Back in flag. Hopefully tomorrow I’m outta here, but flagstaff is a great spot to be stuck. Itching to ride."

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #247 on: May 08, 2019, 05:45:52 PM
bmattingly

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 08, 2019, 05:45:52 PM »

Ohh, Anderson Mesa is some pretty miserable riding even when its dry.  Did some suffering out their recently.  But its good west of there heading to Flag, real good!

Congratulations to all you finishers.  Well done!!

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #248 on: May 08, 2019, 07:53:01 PM
taprider

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 08, 2019, 07:53:01 PM »

Dave is back out there
GO DAVE GO!

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #249 on: May 11, 2019, 03:13:45 PM
Beagle

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 11, 2019, 03:13:45 PM »

For those still watching. Dave’s still alive just his spot isn’t.

Just checked in at Tonto Basin north of Roosevelt Lake, taking the soft option and avoiding 4 peaks (maybe he’ll be up for the 1600 next year 😉)

Still being chased by rain and mud.

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #250 on: May 11, 2019, 11:39:22 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: May 11, 2019, 11:39:22 PM »

Yep, DW is on the Apache Trail tonight and some heavy storms rolled through the area. It's really odd to have all this weather activity in mid-May. We typically don't see a cloud from mid-April until early July!! So much for that.

I'm going to attempt to intercept Mr. Wicks tomorrow morning and give him a new SPOT device for the remainder of his ride. There's a spike in the temps headed our way, forecast 100º by mid-week. Hopefully he can get through the Gila River Canyons and at least near or beyond Freeman Rd. by then.

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #251 on: May 12, 2019, 10:56:46 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: May 12, 2019, 10:56:46 PM »

DW has an updated SPOT!! Although it seems his was working fine most of the day. Go figure. As luck would have it, I timed things almost as perfect as could be this morning, i.e. lucky. I parked off First Water Rd. near the northern terminus of the Jacob Crosscut trail and zoomed up the connecting trail. I found DW as he had just passed the trail junction maybe a minute earlier. He was in good spirits in spite of his SPOT struggles, duct taped GPS unit after he ripped all the buttons off the left side of his eTrex and snow, mud, etc. He mentioned getting a room in Superior to recharge for the final 300, but it appears he was feeling well enough and pushed on south of Picketpost this evening. Good call, since a heat spike is coming on Wed. Temps are forecasted to hit 100 in the Phoenix area. *Dave wasn't really that tired, his eyes were open for our quick conversation!!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 07:10:06 AM by schillingsworth » Logged

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #252 on: May 14, 2019, 01:18:32 AM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: May 14, 2019, 01:18:32 AM »

It looks like DW might not be liking Ripsey? He is on the road to Kearney so he either a) doesn’t like the look of the heat through that section to Tiger Mine or b) feels a need for pizza and milkshakes at Old Time Pizza? Or c) he has a mechanical or body issue.

Either way - Go Dave! That is a huge effort so far.

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #253 on: May 14, 2019, 05:14:56 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: May 14, 2019, 05:14:56 AM »

Flyboy, DW sent me a text last night, he didn't have enough food with him, so he backtracked to Old Time Pizza. Said something about having his finger in his ear to drown out the opera...gotta be fueled up for that long stretch of desert void.

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #254 on: May 14, 2019, 05:32:34 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 14, 2019, 05:32:34 AM »

Glad to hear it was something simple, beyond pizza Kearny doesn't have much.

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #255 on: May 14, 2019, 06:13:47 AM
Ahaughey

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 14, 2019, 06:13:47 AM »

I'm thinking Dave's spot died.  Been in that one spot on the side of the road for many hours.  I'm guessing he's been in and out of Kearny and doin' the Ripsy.

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #256 on: May 14, 2019, 08:12:23 AM
davew

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 14, 2019, 08:12:23 AM »

No day pizza delivery yesterday. Thought I had enough to get me to oracle. My legs had different plans. Half way up the first climb I had nothing. I sat there for a while the rode to Kearny. Pizza. Shopped for food. Washed clothes and now I smell like cheap hotel soap. Got some new sunglasses since I broke my others on the nobo run. Now I’m sitting outside the PO waiting to send cold weather kit anywhere but on my bike. It’s a bit of a set back but hey, better safe than being carted out in a bag.

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #257 on: May 14, 2019, 10:19:52 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: May 14, 2019, 10:19:52 AM »

DW back on the move!! He should beat the encroaching heat by climbing Mt. Lemmon tomorrow. That should be fun, first hitting the 90+ waterbars on Cody trail, then the slog up Oracle Ridge. I'm thinking a beer or three at Sawmill Run is in his near future...

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #258 on: May 14, 2019, 04:17:44 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 14, 2019, 04:17:44 PM »

'Skittles' is good but I think 'Tenacious D' is pretty dang fitting for a trail name for Dave. Keep on it man!

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #259 on: May 14, 2019, 04:31:08 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 14, 2019, 04:31:08 PM »

Yeah lots of rider's would have pulled the plug by now.
  Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: